The October Guard

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Publius
Jedi Council Member

The October Guard

Post by Publius »

Featured here is the October Guard, the Soviet Union's answer to the G.I. Joe team (despite the presence of a Czech and a German, the team's membership is overwhelmingly Soviet, and it is unlikely to have been controlled by the Warsaw Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Mutual Assistance). From left to right, they are Sergeant Misha (Sgt. Misha L. Zubenkov), Lieutenant Gorky (Lt. Mikhail P. Gorky), Red Star (Captain First Rank Anatoly Fyodorovich Krimov), Big Bear (Sgt. Grigori Ivanovich Rostoff), Colonel Brekhov (Col. Ivan Nikolevich Brekhov), Horrorshow (Stepan Drukersky), Volga (Lt. Daina L. Janack), Stormavik (classified), Schrage, and Dragonsky (M. Sgt. Andrei Freisov).

Of course, the picture (like "Cobra!") is not accurate according to the strict canon of the comic series (Sgt. Misha, Lt. Gorky, and Red Star were added to the team after Col. Brekhov, Horrorshow, Stormavik, and Schrage were killed, and Big Bear never appeared at all). Nevertheless, like "Cobra!" and "The Phoenix Guard," it is intended to show all members of the group.

As always, questions, comments, &c. are welcome.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Honestly I like this pic over even the Cobra ones. So few remember the October Guard and honestly it was nice to see someone else the America actually creating a task force for such events.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Wow, I totally forgot about the October Guard. Rhanks for the reminder and awesome work as usual!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Cool, and amusingly enough right as I opened this thread the stirring chords of the Soviet National Anthem kicked in. I had to laugh when I realized the amusing synchronity.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sweet. I loved the October Guard when I was collecting GI Joes.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I was never into G.I. Joe so this is interesting to know they had a Soviet counterpart. Were the G.I. Joe team and the October Guard adversaries?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

They had different goals, but the Oktober guard wasn't ever evil. They even worked together sometimes. I think all of them except Dania and Dragonsky bought it in Sierra Gordo, though.

Anyone ever see them on the show? You should've put 'Wong' in there, he was some crazy mongolian cowboy or something. Great pic, btw.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:They had different goals, but the Oktober guard wasn't ever evil. They even worked together sometimes. I think all of them except Dania and Dragonsky bought it in Sierra Gordo, though.

Anyone ever see them on the show? You should've put 'Wong' in there, he was some crazy mongolian cowboy or something. Great pic, btw.
I remember an Episode where they teamed up with the Joe team to prevent Cobra from obtaining Stalin's DNA when tey were developing Serpentor. I think...
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

The Joes and the Guard had it out on the cartoon show over a state seal land title thing that was lost when Seward bought ALaska.

And I think the Joes and the Guard were defending the tomb of Ivan the Terrible.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The character you bring out in your drawings is amazing Publius.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I have heard vauge mentions of them before and it is quite nice to see them drawn down. I wonder if anyone had ever considered making a PRC equivelent to GI Joe?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor