The EPL begins soon

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Ubiquitous wrote:You know what one of the many things that pisses me off about the EPL is? The way Sky have to dramatise everything to make it seem 'emotional' and more exciting than it really is. It's cringe worthy, and is a testament to the general intelligence of most Sky-obsessed soccer fans in this country. I just know, for example, that my grandad will be lapping this emotional montage bullshit I am watching on Soccer Saturday right now.
This is why I have it on mute during the Intro. Don't want to miss the game but Sky's pre-match shows piss me right off.

I'm hoping Setanta are better at it. We'll see this afternoon as they have the Liverpool game on.

I have to admit the show between the morning and evening game can be entertaining though, mostly because the presenters have a good laugh whilst they do it.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Liverpool are up 1-0 on A-Villa on an Own Goal. Riise and Kuyt are gradually overpowering Villa's defense, and Torres looks dangerous with his positioning and runs.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Block wrote:Is Bayern-Munich the team to beat this year or does anyone else have a decent change?
Yeah, after their "fuckup" last season they went on a massive shopping spree. I guess the team isn´t that well adjusted yet, when it comes to playing together but give them 3 weeks and they´ll be the boom-boom-Bayern like most years.
They´ve got Ribéry, Luca Toni, Klose, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, van Bommel and a whole bunch of other decent players. And while i really hope that Stuttgart wins the cup like last season, i really think that Bayern will do it this year.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

What do you guys think about introducing an American style salary cap and revenue sharing in order to make things a bit more equal in English football and, hopefully, break the monopoly of the top two to make things more interesting again?
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Ubiquitous wrote:What do you guys think about introducing an American style salary cap and revenue sharing in order to make things a bit more equal in English football and, hopefully, break the monopoly of the top two to make things more interesting again?
Sounds good to me. The amounts these fuckers rake in are ridiculous. On the other hand i´m becoming more and more of a Bayern fan so perhaps i´d shoot my own foot...
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Howay the Toon!

Top of the league bitches! :D
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Master Arachnos
Youngling

Post by Master Arachnos »

2000AD wrote:Howay the Toon!

Just had to take that top spot of the mighty Mackems did'nt you..

Altho, Bolton looked absolutely shocking. I fancy a few of their big names will be off by the end of the window and that they'll struggle badly..
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

2000AD wrote:Howay the Toon!

Careful, now, you may experience some feelings of vertigo :P
Master Arachnos wrote:Altho, Bolton looked absolutely shocking. I fancy a few of their big names will be off by the end of the window and that they'll struggle badly..
Poor season for them, I reckon. I expect Fulham, Derby and Wigan to save them from the drop though.

Nice to see Spurs get off to a flyer :lol: And as for West Ham.........
What is WRONG with you people
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Ubiquitous wrote:What do you guys think about introducing an American style salary cap and revenue sharing in order to make things a bit more equal in English football and, hopefully, break the monopoly of the top two to make things more interesting again?
That would be a start. However, the structure of European football dosen't allow for a way to compel prospects with elite talent to play for crap sides, unlike the NFL draft. If you suck, you get relegated. Ideally, newly promoted sides would have first crack at the best players in the transfer market at the least. Transfer Fees would also be high on my list of things to do away with.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Falkenhayn wrote:
That would be a start. However, the structure of European football dosen't allow for a way to compel prospects with elite talent to play for crap sides, unlike the NFL draft. If you suck, you get relegated. Ideally, newly promoted sides would have first crack at the best players in the transfer market at the least. Transfer Fees would also be high on my list of things to do away with.
Yeah, I really hate transfer fees. I don't see how a 'person' can command a fee for their service above their actual contract. For example, I am concerned about the 'posting fees' that have been increasing in ever sillier numbers in MLB when buying stars from Japan.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Falkenhayn wrote:
What sort of fucked-up system is that? There's almost no chance whatsoever to impose or maintain a competitive balance between teams under this scheme. That's just about the way baseball was here before the days of free agency.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Ubiquitous wrote:
Falkenhayn wrote:
Yeah, I really hate transfer fees. I don't see how a 'person' can command a fee for their service above their actual contract. For example, I am concerned about the 'posting fees' that have been increasing in ever sillier numbers in MLB when buying stars from Japan.
The team commands the fee. Rooney went down this weekend, he's out for two months, Man U could be in a bit of trouble.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Patrick Degan wrote:
What sort of fucked-up system is that? There's almost no chance whatsoever to impose or maintain a competitive balance between teams under this scheme. That's just about the way baseball was here before the days of free agency.
Competitive Balance? Ha! That only applies to mid and low table sides. The EPL is designed to maintain its Brahmin Caste of hypersuccessful, hyperwealthy clubs. That way, the English FA has more clout in UEFA. They can then promote "English" football over German, Italian or Spanish Football. So there's a nationalist element as well, where the winners of the UEFA cup and the UEFA Champions League become "proof" that their national league's style of play is the best way to play football.
-Stuart
Master Arachnos
Youngling

Post by Master Arachnos »

[/quote]

The team commands the fee. Rooney went down this weekend, he's out for two months, Man U could be in a bit of trouble.[/quote]

Nah, Tevez is a near perfect like for like swap with Rooney, so as long as he has'nt been pigging out whilst his ridiculous(y boring) transfer saga dragged on they should be fine.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Patrick Degan wrote: What sort of fucked-up system is that? There's almost no chance whatsoever to impose or maintain a competitive balance between teams under this scheme. That's just about the way baseball was here before the days of free agency.
It seems to work quite well.
The traditional big 3 (Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool) were gatecrashed by Chelsae when Roman Ambramovitch turned up to turn it into the big 4.
Newcastle fluctuate every few seasons going to the top 4 to mid table to top 4, back down to mid table and now look to be on the ascent again.
Leeds could have beat Chelsae to being part of the big 4 if their chairman hadn't have been a retard.
Everton managed to perform brilliantly and get into the top 4 for a season, but their performance fluctuates more than Newcastle.
And Tottenham have been pushing the big 4 for the last couple of seasons now.

To get into the top spot you have to earn it and then you have to keep it.

And football does have some free agency, namely the Bosman. Once a players contract expires he's free to move where ever he wants. That's how LA Galaxy got Beckham of Real Madrid.

Falken wrote:Ideally, newly promoted sides would have first crack at the best players in the transfer market at the least.
That's retarded on so many levels.
Do you define a player as 'in the market' as any player in the world (as they are all available at any time if you pay the value) or just ones that have officially been transfer listed by his club?
Does a team that just got promoted into the Championship have priority over a team that just got promoted into the Premiership? What about other leagues?
What about teams in other countries?
How do you define this grace period where only crappy teams can bid for him? Is it until all the crappy teams have made a bid (or declined to) or is it for a set period of time after he has 'come onto the market'?

Even if you do manage to somehow impose this, what's to stop the non-promoted sides saying to the selling club "Reject all the promoted teams bids and we'll stick another £100k on to our bid?" or simular. Ethically wrong, quite probably, legally wrong? That's a grey area.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

salm wrote:Sounds good to me. The amounts these fuckers rake in are ridiculous. On the other hand i´m becoming more and more of a Bayern fan so perhaps i´d shoot my own foot...
Shh don't turn to the dark side. Isn't switching your allegiance from VfB to Bayern considered "High Treason" in your area?
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

2000AD wrote: The traditional big 3 (Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool) were gatecrashed by Chelsae when Roman Ambramovitch turned up to turn it into the big 4.
Chelsea were already up there before RA turned up. However, like Leeds, they were only there because they had spent way beyond their means. Chelsea would be in an even worse mess than Leeds had RA not bailed them out.
2000AD wrote:Newcastle fluctuate every few seasons going to the top 4 to mid table to top 4, back down to mid table and now look to be on the ascent again.
They haven't been in the top 4 for nearly 10 years and there's no sign that this will change. I'm consistently mystified that a club that has not won a single trophy for over 50 years is considered a 'big' club. Wimbledon, Middlesborough, Bolton, Norwich, Ipswich, QPR, Coventry - all clubs that have won trophies since Newcastle's last triumph. Oxford United for fuck's sake!
2000AD wrote:Leeds could have beat Chelsae to being part of the big 4 if their chairman hadn't have been a retard.

Leeds were a part of the top echelon - but only because they had (over)borrowed money to get there, Otherwise, they'd have never been more than a second tier club.
2000AD wrote:Everton managed to perform brilliantly and get into the top 4 for a season, but their performance fluctuates more than Newcastle.
Difference being that Everton's 4th place team was put together with 37 pence and some Bostik (and was a quite amazing achievement), the last two seasons has seen them back to a more realistic level - Newcastle have been spending shitloads on average/injured/troublemaking players and have still been pretty mediocre.
2000AD wrote:And Tottenham have been pushing the big 4 for the last couple of seasons now.
Well, one season anyway. They were never seriously contending for 4th last season and were only so close as both Arsenal and Liverpool had a reasonably average season. This despite Spurs being the 2nd highest spending club after Chelsea over the last 3 years. Again, they are probably favourites for 5th this season (although Man City may have something to say about that).
2000AD wrote:And football does have some free agency, namely the Bosman. Once a players contract expires he's free to move where ever he wants. That's how LA Galaxy got Beckham of Real Madrid.
But how does this help the smaller teams? Either a player is in contract, in which case his club sells to the highest bidder, or is out of contract, in which case the player signs to the club who will paying the highest wages and signing on fee. Hardly a level playing field.

The only way in which a team in England can break into the top 4 consistently is to find an owner willing to spend silly money on the club Arsene Wenger is sort of the exception to this rule - but only because Arsenal were already in the elite at the time the money went serious mad. It could even be said that the wealth of Man Utd and Chelsea are threatening to make the league a two-horse race, rather than 4.
Falken wrote:Ideally, newly promoted sides would have first crack at the best players in the transfer market at the least.
That is far less workable for a sport that plays across international boundaries. Clubs over here play in European competitions as well as domestic and it would be largely impossible to get all nations to agree the same rules - I'm positive that even if they did this would be challengable in the courts.
What is WRONG with you people
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

2000AD wrote:
That's retarded on so many levels.
Do you define a player as 'in the market' as any player in the world (as they are all available at any time if you pay the value) or just ones that have officially been transfer listed by his club?
Does a team that just got promoted into the Championship have priority over a team that just got promoted into the Premiership? What about other leagues?
What about teams in other countries?
How do you define this grace period where only crappy teams can bid for him? Is it until all the crappy teams have made a bid (or declined to) or is it for a set period of time after he has 'come onto the market'?

Even if you do manage to somehow impose this, what's to stop the non-promoted sides saying to the selling club "Reject all the promoted teams bids and we'll stick another £100k on to our bid?" or simular. Ethically wrong, quite probably, legally wrong? That's a grey area.
I'm aware of, and concede, all of these points. I admit you guys caught me running off at the mouth some, but fuck me if I can wrap my head around all of them. My initial thinking was in support of newly promoted top flight sides, without taking the other leagues into consideration. This wouldn't work as you've pointed out.
-Stuart
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Hillary wrote: Chelsea were already up there before RA turned up. However, like Leeds, they were only there because they had spent way beyond their means. Chelsea would be in an even worse mess than Leeds had RA not bailed them out.
They were in the 'chasing pack' that the 4th spot varied around. Only when Ambramovich came in did they turn the Big 3 into the Big 4.

They haven't been in the top 4 for nearly 10 years and there's no sign that this will change.
More like 5 years. We finished 3rd in 2002-03, 4th the season before that (2001-02) and 5th in 2003-04
I'm consistently mystified that a club that has not won a single trophy for over 50 years is considered a 'big' club. Wimbledon, Middlesborough, Bolton, Norwich, Ipswich, QPR, Coventry - all clubs that have won trophies since Newcastle's last triumph. Oxford United for fuck's sake!
Maybe we haven't won but we've come in 2nd place a lot. We were runners up in the league in 95-96 and 96-97 and in the FA cup final in 98 and 99.
We've had numerous other good runs in the League, FA and UEFA cups.
We've also been promoted into the premiership and stayed there. All those teams you just listed have been relegated at some point while Newcastle haven't, or in other words Newcastle have remained in the top 20 teams of the country for over 15 years now, more often than not finishing in the top 5 of those.

We might not have won much, but we're consistantly doing well and that is why, along with a large dedicated fan base and sound financial controlling (we spend big but you never here about us being worried of bankruptcy), we're considered a big club.
Leeds were a part of the top echelon - but only because they had (over)borrowed money to get there, Otherwise, they'd have never been more than a second tier club.
And because they played well. You can buy as many players as you like but if they don't perform you wont win.
Difference being that Everton's 4th place team was put together with 37 pence and some Bostik (and was a quite amazing achievement), the last two seasons has seen them back to a more realistic level - Newcastle have been spending shitloads on average/injured/troublemaking players and have still been pretty mediocre.
Yup, they're back in the chasing pack at 6th place. But they show you that big money is not as important as you're players playing well.
Bolton's gradual climb up the table, Ipswitch getting a UEFA cup spot (before suffering from second season syndrome), Newcastle finishing 3rd in their first season in the Premiership. All show how if you can get a team that wins without bankrupting yourself.
Well, one season anyway. They were never seriously contending for 4th last season and were only so close as both Arsenal and Liverpool had a reasonably average season. This despite Spurs being the 2nd highest spending club after Chelsea over the last 3 years. Again, they are probably favourites for 5th this season (although Man City may have something to say about that).
They've finished 5th for the past 2 seasons and have been 2 and 8 points behind 4th place respectively. Arsenal have been 4th with 67 and 68 points (to Spurs' 65 and 60)in those seasons so just a slight drop in form for them and/or a slight increase in form for Spurs and they're in.
Spurs have continued to bring in players while Arsenal lost their best. If it's going to happen then this looks like the most likely season.

But how does this help the smaller teams?
What's your version of free agency and how would it help smaller teams?
Either a player is in contract, in which case his club sells to the highest bidder, or is out of contract, in which case the player signs to the club who will paying the highest wages and signing on fee. Hardly a level playing field.
What's the alternative? The player is forced to stay with his club past when his contract expires?
As it stands the descision to move clubs rests completely with the player, which is as it should be.
The only way in which a team in England can break into the top 4 consistently is to find an owner willing to spend silly money on the club
Going by that statement the next few seasons should be interesting. West Ham, Man City and Newcastle have all had big money takeovers and investors and there's seems to be no end to the big investors coming into the premiership.
It could even be said that the wealth of Man Utd and Chelsea are threatening to make the league a two-horse race, rather than 4.
Maybe, but Liverpool have spent big this season and as noted above there's
been more big money investors in the premiership than just the Glazers and Abramovitch.
If your theory of 'big money = big prizes' holds out then this will be an interesting season.
Hammerman! Hammer!
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Go down 1-0 at half the Madjeski, then Lampard and Drogba score two goals in two minutes three minutes into the new half. What a fuckin heart attack game.
-Stuart