My sketches (very pic heavy)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

My sketches (very pic heavy)

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

I recently scanned all the sketches I do while in work and thought I would post some of them here. There's quite a few, so be forewarned. Most of them unfortunately were drawn on lined A4, I've tried to alter the images to minimise the lines; it worked better in some than others.

This first one is a sketch of a 'lost valley' somewhere in Africa, sorry about the lines.

Some miscellaneous First World War styled armoured vehicles.

A few different types of Orca (from the game Command and Conquer). The first I drew from memory, the second is how they appear in the games cutscenes and the third is my attempt at 'stealthing' it up.

A few miscellaneous underwater autonomous robots.

A Tesla Trooper from the game Red Alert 2.

A rigid-hulled lifting-body cargo airship.

Some Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

A gigantic HAB-ish fire support/command tank, named Olympus.

Some sort of giant predatory bird, inspired by the (2005) King Kong artbook.

An 'Old One' as described by Lovecraft in 'At The Mountains Of Madness'. I was trying to draw the wings so they were reminiscent of the cillia of an amoeba, with 5 wings arranged radially around the body it would flap in turn to rise (then tilt it's body for forward flight).

Some 'Steampunk' alternate history styled weapons, a large bore canister shot pistol and a clockwork sub machine-gun.

Some 'Steampunk' alternate history styled aircraft. The second airship is supposed to be reminiscent of an ocean going cargo ship. The bottom thing is an aerial torpedo designed to fly level towards your enemy with the wings dropping off after a set distance, letting it tumble to the ground and explode. Like a First World War version of the V1 flying bomb.

A sketch of some sort of experimental bomber with primitive variable geometry wings. Sort of Stuka inspired.

Some alternate history early-flight monoplane. It uses metal 'feathers' on the wings and the pilot controls the aircraft while lying flat on his front rather than sitting.

An alternate history 'Steampunk' remote controlled camera drone, inspired by Nikola Tesla's work on remote controlled vehicles.

A steam powered tracked vehicle armed with too heavy mortar/bombard cannons.

An attack jet aircraft, to fill a similar role to the A10 or Su25.

A First World War styled tank, with some bits of heraldry I was messing about with.

Some anti-material rifles. The third one is supposed to be a shoulder fired souped up anti-tank rifle for use against First/Second World War level armoured vehicles. The barrel extends over the shoulder of the user to give extra power to each shot, the user cycles the weapons action by pulling the fore grip backwards. Probably one of my favourite things I've ever drawn, despite that it only took about 10 minutes.

A four engined heavy bomber with long swept wings, inspired by the He-111.

Some miscellaneous doodles. A Mateba Autorevolver, the weapon arm of a Tesla Trooper, a Panther tank and some Ghost in the Shell inspired track-footed vehicles.

Some more detail of the workings track-footed legs from the picture above. I hope the Great Leader doesn't see this...

The titular vehicle of the Metal Slug games. Drawn with a pen, because I had lost my pencil.

The next few images are all inspired by H.G.Wells 'The War Of The Worlds'. Firstly a few different images of the Martians.

This is a detail of the Martians skeletal structure.

Now some images of me trying to come up with a design for the Fighting Machines.

This next sketch is a few different concepts for the Human command centre for a 'Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds' total conversion I was thinking of doing for Command and Conquer 3.

This is a diagram I did of how I supposed a bolt projectile from Warhammer 40,000 might be designed. The bolt projectiles are actually self-propelled gyro-jet ammunition, hence the ammunition takes a short time to reach full velocity after leaving the bolter; the idea being this explains why Astartes always go to close combat when the enemy gets within a certain distance - the killing power of their shots drops as the enemy gets closer.

These next 2 sketches are based on a short story by H.G.Wells where there is an entire ecosystem of flying creatures in the sky above the clouds based on floating Aeroplankton (the first sketch). The 'Cavourite referred to is a magical anti-gravity element.

In turn this aero plankton is grazed on by herds of giant floating manatee-like Cuttlefish.

Finally the following sketches are all copied from pictures I've seen in books, to help me improve my technique.

A Wind Serpent from Word of WarCraft.

An L5 Reisig battle-walker from Battlefield 2142 (You can tell I got bored by the time I got to the guns).

This was copied from an image of Olga from Metal Gear Solid 2.

A Venatosaur from the 'Natural History of Skull Island' book made for the 2005 King Kong film. The colours and background were done in Photoshop and were my first attempt.

A Treetops from the same books as above, again coloured in Photoshop.

Comments and criticisms welcome. Get them in before the Great Leader has me shot for fraternizing with Mecha.
Last edited by Laughing Mechanicus on 2007-08-15 06:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Your second Martian sketch has to be one of the better interpretations of an invader I've ever seen. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Noble Ire wrote:Your second Martian sketch has to be one of the better interpretations of an invader I've ever seen. :)
Looks almost identical to the Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds version. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Relly cool stuff. But, get a sketch book willya? :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Lord Woodlouse wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:Your second Martian sketch has to be one of the better interpretations of an invader I've ever seen. :)
Looks almost identical to the Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds version. :)
Those Martians were fairly accurate to the books description. Except they have no ears and don't have as prominent a mouth as I think the book suggests. Interestingly Wells says that the Martians used their tentacles to raise themselves off the ground and walk around on Mars, I couldn't think of a way to sketch it that didn't make it look silly though.
havokeff wrote:Relly cool stuff. But, get a sketch book willya? :D
Heh, I do have one, I just don't take it to work where I did all except a few of these. You can probably notice some white spaces in a few where I've edited out random text about whatever software I was working on.
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I like The War of the Worlds related artwork, Aaron Ash, I wonder if you could finalize the design of the Martian fighting machine (like make the stilts taller), do a Martian flying machine and the interior of the established Martian fortress in London.
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Big Orange wrote:I like The War of the Worlds related artwork, Aaron Ash, I wonder if you could finalize the design of the Martian fighting machine (like make the stilts taller), do a Martian flying machine and the interior of the established Martian fortress in London.
I have a small sketch of the finalised Fighting Machine, with a detail view of the heat-ray assembly (which I admit to mostly cribbing from the graphic novel):
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

It had been observed in The War of the Worlds that Martian technology had no version of the wheel, with their articulate machines moving about with multi-layed pivot joints and I always imagined their heat rays to be metallic boxes with a lense, with two metal tendrils holding the construct aloft and providing power. Either way I like you interpretation of the Martian tripods, with the seperated articulated "hood" (control cabin) and a person being very ting against it.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Very cool, I especially like the anti-material rifles.