Model Needs something: Space Frigate

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Model Needs something: Space Frigate

Post by Tasoth »

This is the model in question. Yes, I know, hard to tell with only one photo. But it just kind of lacks something and I was hoping for feed back on it. Most of the measurements come from the USN frigate class I can't remember the name of. I also put an armored prow on it. Ramming FTW!
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Big sensor towers on either side. Something like mnyah.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Jesus christ howedar, I think I just came. Whoever made that did a beautiful job...
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

There's too much smooth uniformity at the front. Break it up with some cannons, docking pylons, a cockpit, or even just some lines to show the gaps between the metal plates. Same story at the sides, although it's a much smaller surface and doesn't leap out as much.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Torpedo tubes. Maybe with covers, but definately torpedo tubes in that prow section.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well if it is for ramming, a solid nose piece constructed from a solid block of material would be stronger than many pieces.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That's not necessarily true; an engineered structure can generally be stronger/stiffer/more durable than a monolithic block.

Besides, it might not even be possible to fabricate a single-piece structure of that size with the requisite materials and material processes.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

After quite a bit of work, here she is and still not finished. I really like it so far.

EDIT: And here is proof of missile racks. Fear the 46 missile launch capability!

One more EDIT: And here's the engines. Loving these after I changed from the original.

Final EDIT: More work done. One image in parallel projection

And normal prespective

Mecha Maniac
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There's too many of those venty things on its ass.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:There's too many of those venty things on its ass.
No, that's ok, but the second 'out on a pylon' design of the side pods looks weaker, more vulnerable and more complex than the first 'rounded protrusion' design.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Very nice, the front has definitely been fixed. It sort of looks like a cross between a Corellian Corvette and a Dreadnought from TIE Fighter. You may consider adding another turret on the bottom and possibly the sides, though, so it has a full arc of fire, and not just on one side.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

I still have to add CIWS to it, and I'm debating on where to put those.

Mecha Maniac
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

Starglider wrote:No, that's ok, but the second 'out on a pylon' design of the side pods looks weaker, more vulnerable and more complex than the first 'rounded protrusion' design.
Personally, I think a mix would look nice. Have the rounded one jutting out on a pylon.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

if yer gonna plan on ramming you should make the front end more of a wedge shape, rather than that shovel nose thing you have going there.

Id put at least 1 turret on the bottom as well.

beyond that... Kewl
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

More work done. Went back to rounded torp tubes, changed the turrets, added a second one to the bottom and removed a bunch of the maneuvering thrusters. Still need to add CIWS, which I'm stumped on where to put them.

Mecha Maniac
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I preferred the earlier turrets. And the nose section still needs something to break it up, maybe torpedo tubes or a bridge screen.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Racing Stripes! :lol:

That's what I thought you did when you broke up the bow, like Howedar said to.

Add the CIWS to that little niche aft of the ram head.
XXXI
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

That nose/head piece dealie reminds me of the front of seaQuest.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I like it better with all the maneuvering thrusters.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Add some cooling fins on top of the engine block to beef the height up a little.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Double stack the torp tubes.

Ghetto Edit: Actually, go back to the beefier tubes that weren't rounded, double stack those, then thicken up the supprt struts/arms and make them a detachable/modular unit that can be swithched out for different missions. Sensor packages, missles, figther engagement, torpedoes and make it ejectable in case of damage so you don't have to worry about an armorment package blowing up half the ship.

Ghetto Edit #2: Make sure to have a spell check mission package you can fire at my posts too. :roll:
Grahf: Seeker Of Power
Padawan Learner

Post by Grahf: Seeker Of Power »

What program did you use to create that model. I know nothing about 3D rendering, but I've got a bunch of designs I want to model.
"STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS"
My Imgur Profile: https://imgur.com/user/WheelerThigpen
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

That would be Google Sketchup Pro 6. There is a free version out there. Quite easy too.

Mecha Maniac
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Grahf: Seeker Of Power wrote:What program did you use to create that model. I know nothing about 3D rendering, but I've got a bunch of designs I want to model.
If you want to model get Blender of Wings 3D. They´re both freeware and very good.
I you want to get into 3D more seriously download the trial of 3ds Max, Maya PLE or the trial of XSI. XSI is very cheap, so perhaps it´s smart to learn that.
Last edited by salm on 2007-08-18 10:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahf: Seeker Of Power
Padawan Learner

Post by Grahf: Seeker Of Power »

Is there anyone in particular on this site that would be willing to do some of my designs in their free time?
"STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS"
My Imgur Profile: https://imgur.com/user/WheelerThigpen