A theory on why the Jem Hadar suck Part 2

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Uh space is 3D. If the Federation is say a sphere with a diameter of 8000 light years and the Dominion is a sphere with a diameter of say 15,000 light years...
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

I know that territory in Trek (and all space sci-fi) is in 3-D, I'm just saying "across" because the book represented stuff in 2-D even though the distances there can be translated to 3-D map terms ("Across" becomes "in diameter" and stuff).
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

ShadowSonic wrote:10,000 LY for the Federation? I thought it was 8,000 LY.

Anyways, the book went with 8,000 LY for the Federation and about 14-15,000 LY for the Dominion. So if the Federation is 10,000 LY in canon than the Dominion would be about 18-19,000 LY to maintain the "nearly twice the size" estimate.
Or, they have twice the number of settled worlds under their control within a comparable radius of space, which is feasible for a power which has existed for five times the duration of the UFP as a galactipolitical entity and has had more time to explore and conquer its territory or establish many more colonies and military outposts. BTW, the books are not considered canon according to Paramount policy, so don't count on their information as evidence of anything. The books fall under the same category as hearsay.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
ShadowSonic
Padawan Learner

Post by ShadowSonic »

Yeah, I know it's non-canon but I was just using it as an example since there's nothing in canon to use (is there?).
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Does anyone recall the Jem Hadar using their predator-like personal cloaking any episode besides the one in which they are introduced? That alone makes them formidable.
I remember them ambushing and capturing several of the main cast in Rocks and Shoals.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor