Interesting thing to think about as we use our screennames

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I've told my friends stories of SD.net, and now I'm being called 'Iggy' in real life. so, what would Mr. Karl Guthke think of that, I wonder? :D
JADAFETWA
pellaeons_scion
Jedi Knight

Post by pellaeons_scion »

My real names Michael, 26 from Sout Australia. Never like giving out my full name/details because there are too many creep and weirdos out there. The internet for the most part is not a place to be completely open and honest about Identity......

Still would rather be Pellaeon...(wishful thinking :) )
If apathy could be converted to energy, Australia would have an Unlimited power source.
mantakai
Padawan Learner

Post by mantakai »

no they have found me out, scott is ok i didnt actually hurt him i swear, i was just slowly fading him out of my life so i could take over the world in my alias of mantakai the mighty mwhahahahaha :twisted: :twisted:
"normal is not something to apire to, its something to get away from"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, knowing that with about half an hour and a screen name to work from you can generally find out nearly anything about someone I don't see the point in hiding behind pseudonyms.

WeeMadAndo... well, my real name is Anders Russell, but most people probably already knew that.

Its what my e-mails are signed with and its the name I originally posted to ASVS with.

And I'm sure with about 10 minutes work you could have an address and phone number too.
pellaeons_scion
Jedi Knight

Post by pellaeons_scion »

I suppose it depends on

a) how desperate you are to know about a person
b) 133+ H@X0R Sk1llZ!

of which I have none :)
If apathy could be converted to energy, Australia would have an Unlimited power source.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Re: Interesting thing to think about as we use our screennam

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Shinova wrote:
Karl S. Guthke (B. Traven) wrote:[B. Traven's] longing to vanish, in death, without a trace and to return to the elements from which he came echoes his lifelong hunger for anonymity, for disappearing without a name, or with a fictitious name, so that his true identity would be lost forever. The life of a pseudonym is the life of a dead man, of one who does not exist.

Have any thoughts?
No great lose
F.I.D.O.
LT.Hit-Man
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Zaia wrote:Due to the fact that my last name makes it extremely easy to find me, I don't post it over the internet. The only people who know what it is are people who I've emailed, which took a great amount of trust on my part for me to do. Being a chick on the internet is a little scary sometimes...
It's no better being a slight 20 year old woman as being a six and a half foot tall guy in his mid thirties. I like screen names because they give you protection as well as often SAY something about the person posting. When you can't look into a pair of eyes, shake a hand, and get a first impression that way, I think that a sig line and a personally important screen name CAN (although it doesn't always have to) go a long way. If my screen name was 'BornToConvert' or 'JesusDoesItDoggyDoggy' you'd have two very different impressions of me.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Screen names I have found can be about anything...something they are meaningful and sometimes they are not.

'Coaan' Has meaning due to the fact it was my first roleplaying character name and has stuck for everything I have done since...'Coaan' has been used countless times and I doubt I could even count them all

I however don't give a rat's ass if people know my name or not...if they want to come over to Scotland and knock on my door with intent to harm...I'll show them just how handy a bo staff is..... :twisted:
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I choose a name that fits my Personality
Ditto, and everyone ought to know my name.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

transcript from my last support group meeting:

Hello, my name is Dale Frink

*sobs*

and i paid to see nemesis......
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Spanky The Dolphin knows my name.

Anyone I've emailed knows my name.

Anyone who checks my website, and Google-searches for stuff from it will probably find my earlier works with my name on them.

I bet you're just itching to know (you know who you are, you nosy person you!). I dare you to read the stuff you find while you're at it. :P
By His Word...
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Eh given the level of which my nickname of Dan Ketch is used...pfft, my real name and my nickname are pretty much used in the same way.

And anyone I e-mailed knows my name...and hell the ones that tried following some poor indie comic I've done also :P

As for Zaia's bit...that I'd agree what is with that weirdness? Guys on the net have no real problems(or really somewhat rare problems) but women have a high level of being stalked and encounter a great deal of problems...oi.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Ghost Rider wrote:As for Zaia's bit...that I'd agree what is with that weirdness? Guys on the net have no real problems(or really somewhat rare problems) but women have a high level of being stalked and encounter a great deal of problems...oi.
I'm a guy and I have been stalked and recieved countless death threats from members of a message board I use to run. Funny thing was the stupid fuckers tried to cause shit with me in real life because I'd smacked them down and mocked them on my board. Even funnier was how a couple of them got their asses hospitalized by me and still claimed victory on the board and talked shit, and how every single time I saw them in real life they practically shit their pants. Of course a mountain biking board picks up a lot of immature trashtalking kiddies and I was about as nice to them as Mike Wong is to a religious fundie or rabid trekkie.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

As someone who suffered from a minor case of identity theft Im not about to go around the internet posting my full name, middle initial, and last name.

That does not mean I won't tell people my name, but it is not needed for a msg board anyway.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I don't go around with my real name as a username because I think my real name stinks. Of course, so does the username I have now. Actually, I'm kind of shy about giving out informaion like that online for some reason.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

My real name is also Rob Dalton.
:D
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

I originally used 'One True Spoon' to pay out people who believe in [or impose the idea of] 'One True God.' So it stuck, kinda.

My real name is Will, I live in Canberra.
"There is only one [True Spoon], only one who can wield it. And he does not share [Spoons]."
-Gandalf
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

aerius wrote:
I'm a guy and I have been stalked and recieved countless death threats from members of a message board I use to run. Funny thing was the stupid fuckers tried to cause shit with me in real life because I'd smacked them down and mocked them on my board. Even funnier was how a couple of them got their asses hospitalized by me and still claimed victory on the board and talked shit, and how every single time I saw them in real life they practically shit their pants. Of course a mountain biking board picks up a lot of immature trashtalking kiddies and I was about as nice to them as Mike Wong is to a religious fundie or rabid trekkie.
Wow...both funny and seriously blows at the same time.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Mine is John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt. So's my roommates.

Let me tell you, I fucking hate going out.
Chuck

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Ken Choi. Well, actually Kay, but everyone either calls me Ken or some variation of Darth Yoshi on account of me being the only person in school with an official Yoshi hat. I answer to all three.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Sonnenburg wrote:Mine is John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt. So's my roommates.

Let me tell you, I fucking hate going out.
:D Ladies and gentleman, there he goes. :D
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Darth Wong wrote:I believe most people here are aware of my real name.
Robert Scott Anderson?

*runs away*
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Robert Scott Anderson?

*runs away*
Some Padawans never learn...Yoshi, the whip?
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

The Dark wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Robert Scott Anderson?

*runs away*
Some Padawans never learn...Yoshi, the whip?
**hiding in the Jedi Academy's basement**

Now they won't find me!
mantakai
Padawan Learner

Post by mantakai »

well if everyone is going to be serious about it and not poke fun at the obvious stupidity :lol: my real name is scott newsome and im from australia so thats me in a 5 simple words for anyone who cares :wink:
"normal is not something to apire to, its something to get away from"