NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Elfdart wrote:The only problem is, your best offensive player and best defender haven't put in a full season since -when?

That's a major hole to climb out of. A much bigger one is that Dallas finally got rid of that blowhard Bill Parcells and brought in a coach instead of a has-been.
Dawkins and Westbrook both put in full seasons last year :P.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not totally panicked about McNabb or Kearse going down. Feeley's good enough to keep the team level, and Kolb is playing better than I expected at this point. Kearse isn't as valuable as he used to be, with Reagor, Abiamiri, Howard, and Thomas as defensive ends. Safety actually concerns me more, since we have Dawkins and Considine as starters, and the rookie Gaddis as the only backup for both of them.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Elfdart wrote:Rick Mirer Jr? :lol:

Even funnier is watching the Aussie football fans saying Rocca wasn't hit that hard compared to what he got in AFL games. I checked out the "chapman" and "hip and shoulder" videos...

...I've seen NBA tipoffs tougher than that. :wanker:
You're looking at the wrong videos. This one is better.. At the 1:21 mark you'll see Kozi getting ironed out by Giansiracusa - fractured skull and bruised brain. Again, you can see the force of the impacts - guys being knocked out, this one shows McManus do a full 360 in mid-air having collided with Holland at full tilt. 31 second mark of this one, Richmond and St Kilda player collide at full speed, both out.
Here I thought Muricans were the most scientifically illiterate people. Greater mass + greater speed = greater force. A few pieces of plastic and foam don't counteract the full force of someone who weighs 300 pounds (or more) ramming you helmet first at full speed.
Greater speed? Rocca was at a slow jog, hard to gauge the other guys speed but he was hardly going flat out. Hardly the most impressive of NFL hits, but Sav would have taken the same if not worse in the AFL - with no mouthguard to protect him.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Most of those hits were no worse than the dirtier Dennis Rodman/Bill Lambeer rebounds in the NBA during the late 1980s -only basketball players land on hardwood floors instead of turf. Two years ago, I saw a cheerleader for the Patriots take a worse hit than most of those when Chargers DB Drayton Florence ran into her by accident.

The ones that stood out were the guy who shoved his forearm into the other guy's throat and the two head injuries. But those head injuries were more from second contact (when the man lands on his back, then his head bounces off the ground) and that one freakish one where the player rolled over on his own neck -the types of injuries that the helmets and padding don't prevent.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Elfdart wrote:Most of those hits were no worse than the dirtier Dennis Rodman/Bill Lambeer rebounds in the NBA during the late 1980s -only basketball players land on hardwood floors instead of turf. Two years ago, I saw a cheerleader for the Patriots take a worse hit than most of those when Chargers DB Drayton Florence ran into her by accident.

The ones that stood out were the guy who shoved his forearm into the other guy's throat and the two head injuries. But those head injuries were more from second contact (when the man lands on his back, then his head bounces off the ground) and that one freakish one where the player rolled over on his own neck -the types of injuries that the helmets and padding don't prevent.
If you really want some great hits watch some Rugby Union. You could watch league, but that would make you a bogan. Union has some good hits and brilliant rucks.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Yeah... Cause people post in an NFL thread to learn about rugby. :roll:

About the NFL though, it's not too late to join a fantasy football league, is it? I've not ever done this in the past so I have no illussions of success but it's always sounded like fun. :) I'm thinking of doing it with ESPN just cause it's ESPN basically. Any reason I shouldn't?
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Yeah... Cause people post in an NFL thread to learn about rugby. :roll:

About the NFL though, it's not too late to join a fantasy football league, is it? I've not ever done this in the past so I have no illussions of success but it's always sounded like fun. :) I'm thinking of doing it with ESPN just cause it's ESPN basically. Any reason I shouldn't?
If you want to find a very basic, free league, give Yahoo a try. I believe ESPN and Fox charge for their services, I know CBS does, as I'm in one of their leagues. Its a fun way to enjoy games with teams other than the ones you usually follow, since you'll be looking to see how some individual players or defensive units play. And that leads to all sorts of other frustrations when you see crap like one of your WR's catching a screen pass for a net loss :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

NeoGoomba wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:Yeah... Cause people post in an NFL thread to learn about rugby. :roll:

If you want to find a very basic, free league, give Yahoo a try. I believe ESPN and Fox charge for their services, I know CBS does, as I'm in one of their leagues. Its a fun way to enjoy games with teams other than the ones you usually follow, since you'll be looking to see how some individual players or defensive units play. And that leads to all sorts of other frustrations when you see crap like one of your WR's catching a screen pass for a net loss :P
Haha, I remember reading an article in an old ESPN the magazine about how he got good off some completely pointless game, last week of the season, between 2 non-playoff bound teams. Of course, this coincides with the final week of fantasy play and to this columnists great joy, his player got just enough points to exalt his fantasy team to victory in his league, and the real life play was just a garbage touchdown running up the score on a shit game.

That's clutch baby. :lol:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

We could always do a SDN FFL.
I think there are enough of us.
I don't like playing FF, but I would do it here.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Quick bit o' news for Eagles' fans...

The Axeman's been axed:
Posted on Tue, Aug. 21, 2007

'A tough pill to swallow' for Trotter

By Ashley Fox

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Takeo Spikes answered his cell phone Monday night. He always takes Jeremiah Trotter's calls.

"Well, Spikes," Trotter said, "you know all the dreams we talked about playing with each other, getting the crowd hyped, doing the ax, doing the T-K-O? We're going to have to put it on hold."

The ax had fallen on the Axman. (sp?) The Eagles cut the 30-year-old, four-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker today. Trotter's career in Philadelphia is over. He spent seven years here and nine overall in the National Football League.

In a classy move, Trotter pulled into the NovaCare Complex as practice was ending today on the indoor field. He got out of the passenger side of a black BMW 750 with the license plate GR8WASH, and quietly walked inside.

Trotter addressed the team, telling his former teammates to savor each opportunity on the field, each moment with the team, then essentially passed the middle linebacker torch to the young Omar Gaither and hugged each of his former teammates. There was Brian Dawkins, who had seen every minute of Trotter's career here. There was Spikes, who had joined the Eagles in March and been outspoken about his desire to play with Trotter. And there were coaches.

When the linebackers huddled, as they usually do after practice, Trotter was in the middle. He broke the huddle for the last time, walked to the auditorium with Dawkins and Spikes at his side, then fought back tears as he talked about the green blood coursing through his veins.

When Reid summoned Trotter to his office after Monday's practice, Trotter had no idea what was about to happen. He said he was stunned by the news, but sounded neither bitter nor remorseful.

"It was pretty emotional," Trotter said of his meeting with Reid. "At the end, we were like two old ladies up there. Obviously, I know he didn't want to make the decision. But as a head coach, you have to make tough decisions for the organization, and I respected it. I just told him I really appreciated everything he did for me, the organization, and the city.

"It's a tough pill to swallow, but everyone gets to this point in their career at some point or another, and now is my time. I'm just thankful that I spent this many years here in Philadelphia. I truly believe that if you were to cut me, I'd bleed green. Even when I went away for two years [to Washington], I was always an Eagle at heart, and I'll always remain an Eagle."

Reid would not explain his reasons today, but an Eagles source said that, in the team's estimation, Trotter simply could no longer run effectively.

Trotter had a relatively uneventful training camp, until Monday, when Reid substituted Gaither in with the first-team defense. No one thought much of it because Gaither had taken snaps with the first unit before. Trotter didn't stand out one way or another; he wasn't dominant, he wasn't horrible. He was part of the first-team defense that gave up just one first down, and no points, in the most recent preseason game - against the Carolina Panthers.

The Eagles asked Trotter to lose weight in the off-season, which he did, and talked about having Trotter and Gaither rotate throughout the season, with Trotter playing on first and second downs and Gaither coming in on third downs.

Apparently, they didn't think that plan would be effective, and so they cut Trotter with enough time left in the preseason for him to try to continue his career elsewhere, if he chooses. By making the cut today, it also left time for the remaining Eagles to come to grips with the decision, like it or not.

"This one hit me like a ton of bricks," Dawkins said. "No matter how many years you play, it's always hard when you lose someone like that, that you've come in contact and gotten so close with. I'm going to make it as far as I can in this press conference."

It's interest that Trotter said he agreed with Reid's decision, although he said he thinks he has a couple of good years left and would like to sign with another franchise.

"Obviously, I want to be here," Trotter said, "but he's making a decision that he feels is best for the team. That's what this league is about. The turnover ratio is big every year. They're always bringing in someone to try to better the team. Who knows what the future holds, but, like I said, now is my time. I understand why he did it - I know he didn't want to do it - and that means a lot to me."

It had been quite a dance with the Eagles, and Trotter leaves a stellar legacy. He is beloved by teammates and fans alike, because of his fearless, gambling style, his quickness for a 260-pound man, his instincts and his nose for the football.

Twice in his career, Trotter came to the Eagles with high expectations and much to prove, and twice he succeeded. He was a four-time Pro Bowl selection, and an undeniable leader not only of the Eagles defense but of the entire team.

The Eagles selected Trotter in the third round of the 1998 draft (72d overall) out of Stephen F. Austin. The Texarkana, Texas, native played sparingly as a rookie, then broke into the starting lineup the next year and played 48 consecutive regular-season games. When Trotter was set to become a free agent after the 2001 season, the Eagles slapped the franchise tag on him, then rescinded it and let Trotter walk away.

He played for two seasons in Washington, one of which was interrupted by another knee injury, before asking Reid to bring him back.

Playing on a veteran minimum contract, Trotter earned his way back into the starting lineup in 2004, and remained there until today.

"Jeremiah Trotter will go down as one of the all-time greats in Philadelphia Eagles history," Reid said. "He's a top-notch person and guy."

Still, questions will always loom over Trotter. What if his knees didn't betray him? What if he'd stayed in Philadelphia his entire career? Would he have helped in that 2002 NFC title game against Tampa Bay? Could he have brought the Lombardi Trophy here?

"I always knew he was a great player," Spikes said, "but . . . I've learned to know he was a great man, also. He was a guy that everybody respected. He was the type of guy that could sit around and meet anybody for the first five minutes, and after you walk away you feel like, 'Man, I've been knowing him for a long time.' "
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'd be down for one. I think I tried starting one here one season (it was either here or over at SB) but there wasn't many takers for it. But if we can get 8-12 teams, it'd be a lot of fun.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

My family always has our own Fantasy Football League on Yahoo. We haven't started it yet, but I'm sure we will by the time the regular season starts. I'm proud to say that I am last year's champion, thanks to a 3 TD hookup between Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning in the last game of the regular season. Kinda nice that I had both of them playing for me. :lol:

If SDN started a FFL, and it was free, then I would be more than willing to join.

Edit: FST, thank you for that story. It's good to know that with Vick and Pacman and all the others out there, there are still classy players like Jeremiah Trotter. Hats off to him.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I found this over at the Union-Tribune's forums: NFL teams as Star Wars characters! The teams are listed next to their projected 2007 records and the Star Wars characters that they resemble. It's pretty funny.

Link

Green Bay: 6-10
Yoda
Green and 800 years old.

Detroit: 6-10
Admiral Ozzel
"He is as clumsy as he is stupid."

Atlanta: 2-14

Han Solo frozen in carbonite
You couldn't be more screwed.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Okay... It's 9 days until the Thursday opener, we either start a league now or I gladly go solo. An SDN league still sounds fun though, I mean, think of the post count possibilities! :mrgreen: Cause every week there's the gnashing of teeth and dick measuring of the normal games that matter in either the quest for the Lombardi Trophy or the oft-jokingly-coveted 1st pick of the draft (the Oakland Raiders are now on the clock!) aaand the fantasy results. It's a win win -- unless you are a Raiders fan, in which case your only hope is to shoot for fantasy success and break even. (As is Right and Proper for the hordes or armor-clad, silver and black freaks)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Okay... It's 9 days until the Thursday opener, we either start a league now or I gladly go solo. An SDN league still sounds fun though, I mean, think of the post count possibilities! :mrgreen: Cause every week there's the gnashing of teeth and dick measuring of the normal games that matter in either the quest for the Lombardi Trophy or the oft-jokingly-coveted 1st pick of the draft (the Oakland Raiders are now on the clock!) aaand the fantasy results. It's a win win -- unless you are a Raiders fan, in which case your only hope is to shoot for fantasy success and break even. (As is Right and Proper for the hordes or armor-clad, silver and black freaks)
Well, start a thread. I would but I'm not really sure how the rules and all work.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I'd be in....
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

You mean the rules pertaining to a fantasy draft? Neither do I. Unless someone does it before I get home I'll do it then my phone's running out of juice and I can't find out any of the pertinent information until I do get online.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Anybody want to speculate why the Raiders cut Quentin Moses?
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Falkenhayn wrote:Anybody want to speculate why the Raiders cut Quentin Moses?
Apparently they thought he was too expensive for what he was worth.

Weird cut, though, admittedly.

Also, why did Houston CUT the RB-formerly-known-as-Davis? He was actually pretty good.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Apparently they thought he was too expensive for what he was worth.

Weird cut, though, admittedly.

Also, why did Houston CUT the RB-formerly-known-as-Davis? He was actually pretty good.
Hmm... Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders. I would sooner bet on Jim Kelly in the Superbowl than their collective front offices. They STILL haven't signed JaMarcus Russell, for fuck's sake.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Falkenhayn wrote:Hmm... Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders. I would sooner bet on Jim Kelly in the Superbowl than their collective front offices. They STILL haven't signed JaMarcus Russell, for fuck's sake.
From what I last heard, that's because he's demanding a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money. I don't care if you're the reincarnation of Joe Montana, you ain't worth $40 mil guaranteed before setting foot on an NFL field.

As a side note, the last first round draft pick to not sign was Bo Jackson. He was drafted the next year in the sixth round. Russell will either agree to the Raiders' terms, get maybe half as much offered next year by some other team, or never play in the NFL.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Dark wrote: As a side note, the last first round draft pick to not sign was Bo Jackson. He was drafted the next year in the sixth round. Russell will either agree to the Raiders' terms, get maybe half as much offered next year by some other team, or never play in the NFL.
Even if JaMarcus sits for a year he will still command good money and there is no way he would drop to the sixth round. There will be anywhere between two and three teams after this season desperate for a new quarterback with the kind of arm strength and size that Russell has. That being said it is still in the best interests of both sides to come to an agreement. THAT being said I am very pleased to the the Disarraiders tripping over their own feet before a game has even been played this year. Maybe they will go 0-16!!!!!!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
The Dark wrote: As a side note, the last first round draft pick to not sign was Bo Jackson. He was drafted the next year in the sixth round. Russell will either agree to the Raiders' terms, get maybe half as much offered next year by some other team, or never play in the NFL.
Even if JaMarcus sits for a year he will still command good money and there is no way he would drop to the sixth round. There will be anywhere between two and three teams after this season desperate for a new quarterback with the kind of arm strength and size that Russell has.
In modern NFL history, there have been two #1 picks that didn't sign - Bo Jackson and Tom Cousineau. One dropped to the sixth round, the other had his rights traded for a draft pick. Russell wasn't even the best quarterback at the combine, and there will be this year's graduates. He'll sign, or he'll drop. Egos don't do well when they come from an unproven player.
BattleTech for SilCore
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Al Davis drafting college players by the eenie-meenie-minie-mo standard would be my guess. On one hand, it sucks out loud when you draft someone on the first day (3rd round) and they can't make the team. On the other hand, maybe they're serious for once about chopping dead wood and aren't afraid to get rid of a slacker (or whatever the problem was) no matter where they picked him.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Even if JaMarcus sits for a year he will still command good money and there is no way he would drop to the sixth round. There will be anywhere between two and three teams after this season desperate for a new quarterback with the kind of arm strength and size that Russell has. That being said it is still in the best interests of both sides to come to an agreement. THAT being said I am very pleased to the the Disarraiders tripping over their own feet before a game has even been played this year. Maybe they will go 0-16!!!!!!
Wouldn't it be pretty goddamned funny if Russell went back into next year's draft and the Raitards were #1 on the board again?
:lol:

UPDATE:

I got this from the San Diego Union-Tribune's web board (the story is from the Oakland Tribune):
September 2nd, 2007 at 2:39 pm
Radio 680am just reported that Quentin Moses was let go in error. Apparently Don Johnson, an assistant coach on the defensive line had submitted a prioritzed list of players he wanted to keep. Moses was inadvertantly left off the list. He then sent a separate email to a guy named Jeff Birren who works in administration. Birren thought Moses was to be added to the release list, so he added the name and faxed it in to league offices in New York. The error was not discovered until after the move was official. Accidents happen.
One despondent Raitard fan wrote:
I THINK HOMER SIMPSON IS WORKING FOR US....
In other words: D'OH! Image
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Cold Hard Football Facts just finished their season predictions for the NFC. Their playoff teams are:

1. Chicago (14-2)
2. Philadelphia (11-5)
3. Seattle/ San Francisco (10-6)
4. New Orleans/ Carolina (9-7)
5. Seattle/ San Francisco (10-6)
6. New Orleans/ Carolina/ Dallas (9-7)

They've started with the AFC and have Jacksonville winning the South, with the Colts going 10-6.

Of course, preseason speculation is useless.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him