No
19%

Total votes: 69

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Women in combat- where do you stand?

Post by Vympel »

Should women be allowed in the combat arms of the military? Yes or no, and as always, why or why not?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

Why not?

Just because you have a uterus doesn't mean you are incapable of killing someone.
Then again, I am opposed to all war, so I don't think anyone should fight, indescriminately.
"There is only one [True Spoon], only one who can wield it. And he does not share [Spoons]."
-Gandalf
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

They should be subject to the same requirements that a male is. Someone shouldn't become a soldier just because they're a woman, but if they can do the same amount of pushups as the next guy, then sure, why not?
And even if you think they shouldn't be put in combat positions, you'd have to be a retard to not think they should have to register for selective service.
Why don't women protest this? They're being withheld the full benefits of being an American citizen...in that they don't get to be drafted. I mean, they don't have to get drafted to the trenches; there are plenty of wartime desk jobs that even the most sexist citizen can agree will be adequately filled by a female.

Anyhow, yes, I think they should be allowed in the combat arms of the military, if they can pass the same physical and mental tests that the males can. (P.S. - they can)
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Considering that my mom and my sister are both "Annie Oakley" types.

Sure, if they want too, no problem

Now if we can just get the other soldiers to accept them.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

A lot of women in Australia leave the ADF because they are harrased (sexually or otherwise.) I thing more attention should be put on that.
"There is only one [True Spoon], only one who can wield it. And he does not share [Spoons]."
-Gandalf
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

This is a particular pet peeve of mine. I find it absolutely offensive that women demand (and get) equal rights but are not required to submit themselves for the defense of this country the way we are. That's pretty much having your cake and eating it too. The sexist double standard of Selective Service and our Divorce/Family Court systems are the best examples of the growing "OK to discriminate against men" attitude that the rabid militant feminists have brain-bugged into our country as being "acceptable".
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

I say let them into everything but Infantry (and Special Forces). In today's army, thats really the only field where there is actually a forseeable need for upper body strength. If a comrade in arms is wounded, one to two men, in fit shape, are capable of moving (to a helicoptor or a truck) all but the heaviest of men. The average woman, even one who went through basic training can't do this. That means, that someone will DIE because a woman/women can't do what a man/men can do in the same situation.

If, however, a woman proves that she is capable of doing this, then I have no problem with that specific woman going into Infantry.
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

I don't think it should become like everything else feminism touches--quotas of women to deal with 'affirmative action.' We should not comprimise defence for sexism, on either sides.
-Gandalf
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

I say no.

First, wasn't there some article/story somewhere's where the Isreali Defense Force mixed women in with a regular infantry unit as a test? i understood that they were successfull but took higher losses as opposed to an all male unit. (something about personel taking unessesary risks with wounded personell)

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

If people are stupid enough to want to pick up a weapon and get shot at by the other side....hell, let 'em I say
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

My feeling is that a) pushing a button to launch a missile doesn't require a specific gender and b) anyone who wants to kill people who are trying to hurt me by violently inserting small pieces of metal into them is fine with me, because there's no way that I'M doing it.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

On a case-by-case basis then I can see it being done, but there aren't just physical barriers to overcome, there are psychological and biological problems such as hormone imbalance (true, can happen in men but not as noticeable) and period pains. That's not even counting the whole idea of men and women fighting, because we all know how sexually active soldiers can be even when women are just being discussed, latalone fighting with them.

If they can do it and take the risks and accept equality and not special requirements then they can go in by all means.
ArthurDent
Youngling

Post by ArthurDent »

I have no problems with anyone being a soldier, so long as they meet the same requirements as everyone else.
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions every day, I say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny." --Ronald Reagan
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Women in combat- where do you stand?

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:Should women be allowed in the combat arms of the military? Yes or no, and as always, why or why not?
Absolutely. I think a woman should be able to join and serve in the military as long as she is capable of performing the duties. There is no reason to deny a woman the right to serve her country to the best of her abilities. However, there should be no lower of the standards for woman.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:I say let them into everything but Infantry (and Special Forces). In today's army, thats really the only field where there is actually a forseeable need for upper body strength. If a comrade in arms is wounded, one to two men, in fit shape, are capable of moving (to a helicoptor or a truck) all but the heaviest of men. The average woman, even one who went through basic training can't do this. That means, that someone will DIE because a woman/women can't do what a man/men can do in the same situation.

If, however, a woman proves that she is capable of doing this, then I have no problem with that specific woman going into Infantry.
Thats just the point. Hold women to equal standards as men, and if they can make it into the Infatry or even Special Forces, then let them in.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Re: Women in combat- where do you stand?

Post by jegs2 »

Vympel wrote:Should women be allowed in the combat arms of the military? Yes or no, and as always, why or why not?
First, women already serve in combat zones as soldiers in CS and CSS units, in support of combat units. They all go through Basic Training, which includes BRM, bayonet training, self-defense (now being replaced by "Combatives"). That being said, I don't think they should serve in combat line units (IN & AR). Women are different than men, both physically and emotionally (yes, it's really true). A job assignment should play to the collective strengths of a person in regards to their sex, not make exceptions for a select few who may be different in order to satisfy the social desires of civilians. I daresay that the vast majority of you who want women in combat-arms units have never served in a combat-arms unit, else your opinion would be more in line with my own (and yes, service does count, as does the lack of it). Read: THE US MILITARY IS NOT A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT -- IT IS A TOOL WITH WHICH TO FIGHT AND WIN WARS!!!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

OK, I don't think women should be in the infantry for pretty much the same reason Ming gave us - it's not so much that some women couldn't fight, it's that the presence of a woman would affect the effectiveness of the men in the troop - by spending too much effort protecting her. How many of you guys irrationally defend your fave females - friends, girlfriends, sisters etc? Now imagine one of your female frineds is about to be killed...
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

innerbrat wrote:OK, I don't think women should be in the infantry for pretty much the same reason Ming gave us - it's not so much that some women couldn't fight, it's that the presence of a woman would affect the effectiveness of the men in the troop - by spending too much effort protecting her. How many of you guys irrationally defend your fave females - friends, girlfriends, sisters etc? Now imagine one of your female frineds is about to be killed...
And with the Military in mind, lust interest... :wink:

There will be some women who could handle it. They would be exceptions and could form an all womens unit. Overall though, I still say no. Too much BS to have to account for in a ground pounder unit, and women would end up being nothing but a distraction.

Pilots, that is another matter...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

There is no reason to bar someone on the basis of sex from doing a job that he or she is capable of doing.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

If a woman can live in a country, she can sure as hell die for it.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I agree with Jegs2 partly. I dont see any reason to not to let women serve in combat roles as pilots or aboard ship. But he 3 traditional combat roles of Infantry, Armor, and Artillery should be reserved for men. Unless said women can pass all the physical requirements for the job required of men. Then and only then should it be permitted.

One thing that never gets mentioned is faith in your fellow solider. If you know that women is not strong enough to drag you to safety or fireman's carry you, are you gonna want her in your unit? Same goes for a weak guy.

Winning in combat is not about feeling good, equal rights, or anything like that. Its about bringing home the most of our folks possible.

Okay, I know its just a book, but Harold Coyle wrote a few novels in which women are introduced into the combat arms of the Army. I does bring up some of the problems of such an issue.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:I say let them into everything but Infantry (and Special Forces). In today's army, thats really the only field where there is actually a forseeable need for upper body strength. If a comrade in arms is wounded, one to two men, in fit shape, are capable of moving (to a helicoptor or a truck) all but the heaviest of men. The average woman, even one who went through basic training can't do this. That means, that someone will DIE because a woman/women can't do what a man/men can do in the same situation.

I'm inclined to agree. dropping the standards so women can enter a certain feild is ludicris in my opinion.

Or, to shamelessly use a quote

"It makes the kind of sense that is...not"
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

innerbrat wrote:OK, I don't think women should be in the infantry for pretty much the same reason Ming gave us - it's not so much that some women couldn't fight, it's that the presence of a woman would affect the effectiveness of the men in the troop - by spending too much effort protecting her. How many of you guys irrationally defend your fave females - friends, girlfriends, sisters etc? Now imagine one of your female frineds is about to be killed...
They used the exact same argument against allowing Blacks to serve in the military, or to serve in certain combat units. It would Hurt morale so we shouldn't do it. The military will adapt as it always does. Right NOW women might cause problems, but that problem would solve itself because people would be forced to adress the issue and fix the problems.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Majin Gojira wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. dropping the standards so women can enter a certain feild is ludicris in my opinion.

Or, to shamelessly use a quote

"It makes the kind of sense that is...not"
Yet at the same time dropping certain standards across the board for certain fields is a GOOD idea. A woman with less upper body muscles can work in other fields, can fly a helicopter, drive a tank, or do other duties. That said, men with bad upper body strength can do the same thing.

There is a difference between preventing women from joining special forces and simply holding the standards HIGH but allowing capable women in special forces or infantry.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

closet sci-fi fan wrote:jegs2 is correct.
Jegs is correct? Highly unlikely. He is making the blanket statement that NO WOMEN should be in certain fields. That in itself is very WRONG. People make good points about women in GENERAL, but not about all women. Not all people have the same capabilities, advantages, and disadvantages. There are some women out there capable of serving in the "restricted" fields. Don't deny them the chance.