NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

The Dark wrote:
LMSx wrote:So, jumping on the Arizona/SF "potential" bandwagon? They've been very busy in the preseason the last couple years..... :)
I know this wasn't directed to me, but...

I do like Arizona. Next year. I think this year will be the hump of the learning curve and the integration of the team. I think they'll be solid, somewhere around 7-9 or 8-8, but a wild card at best and eliminated early if they make the playoffs.
I'd be on board with that, and even SF too. Both teams on paper have a lot of great talent, but they haven't yet proven that they can put it together into a strong campaign. I looked over the Hawks' schedule, tried being pessimistic, and I'd say:

Seattle: 10-6
St. Louis: 8-8
SF/Arizona: 6-10

The other three teams are improved a lot over last year, albeit with roughly the same records. According to Football Outsiders the entire division sucked last year; so I'd say everyone plays better and harder while not seeing any dividends as far as Win/Loss until next year.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dark Flame wrote:
I wouldn't say all. With a completely new O-line (compared to the previous few years' shitty one), a running back with more in the tank than Droughns, and a TE and WR finding their places in the NFL, they have a shot. I personally don't want Brady playing all year, I think it's best to let him sit for a year and watch. However, I suspect that he will be starting after our week 7 bye week.
Just because the O-Line is new doesn't mean it will be that much better, especially when a lot of Cleveland's games are going to be against good teams. Plus, Cleveland's Defense didn't really improve much. Doesn't matter if you increase your scoring from ten to twenty points a game if you're still giving up thirty. But I will say that I would like to see the Browns improve if only because I do not dislike them and they play several teams that I hate.

We also play the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens twice each. As well as a game with New England, San Francisco, and Seattle. Not the toughest schedule around, but it's not a push-over either.
I was trying to be optimistic for you! ;-)

Maybe it's just another forlorn hope, but I really don't see what the hype about them is. I don't see what's going to make them into a playoff team. Big Ben is overrated, IMO. They are good, but not quite that good.
Big Ben had a bad year after a pair of awful setbacks early in the year and the Steelers still went 8-8. In his two previous years the guy has had the NFL's best record and a Super Bowl. So while he's not the best quarterback he is a proven winner. Maanwhile the Steelers should stay tough on both sides on the ball so long as they stay healthy. With all those cards falling into a place a Wild Card spot is not out of the question, especially if they are clutch late in the season as they have been the past three years.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

T Minus 25 minutes.

GO SAINTS!!!

Image Image
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Dark Flame wrote: We also play the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens twice each. As well as a game with New England, San Francisco, and Seattle. Not the toughest schedule around, but it's not a push-over either.
I'm not much liking our schedule either. Besides the obligatory pair of games against the Giants, the Skins, and the Cowboys, we play Green Bay, the other New York, Chicago, New England, Seattle, and New Orleans. Our only "easy" games are Miami, Buffalo, Detroit, and Minnesota, and the Bills and Lions are more question marks than pushovers. The scheduling gods hate the Eagles.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Darth Fanboy wrote: Just because the O-Line is new doesn't mean it will be that much better, especially when a lot of Cleveland's games are going to be against good teams. Plus, Cleveland's Defense didn't really improve much. Doesn't matter if you increase your scoring from ten to twenty points a game if you're still giving up thirty. But I will say that I would like to see the Browns improve if only because I do not dislike them and they play several teams that I hate.
True, but judging from what I've seen so far the line is a vast improvement, and it was our greatest weakness.

The defense was fairly solid all year. They weren't a shutdown perfect defense, but they did a good job, and didn't give up 30 per game. SI.com says the Browns gave up 22 points per game, 22nd in the league. Also, I would argue that they did improve. Time will tell, but Wimbley is improving from his rookie year, we got that corner in the draft, the secondary is now mostly healthy, and fat-ass Washington now has a reliever to give him a breather.

Thanks. :P
Big Ben had a bad year after a pair of awful setbacks early in the year and the Steelers still went 8-8. In his two previous years the guy has had the NFL's best record and a Super Bowl. So while he's not the best quarterback he is a proven winner. Maanwhile the Steelers should stay tough on both sides on the ball so long as they stay healthy. With all those cards falling into a place a Wild Card spot is not out of the question, especially if they are clutch late in the season as they have been the past three years.
Eh, I suppose. Still have my fingers crossed, though. :)

And, damn the Saints! Apparently the Fantasy gods do not smile upon me, or Reggie Bush, or Marques Colston. Damn them all!
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Dark Flame wrote:And, damn the Saints! Apparently the Fantasy gods do not smile upon me, or Reggie Bush, or Marques Colston. Damn them all!
I know how you feel. I have Brees and Colston and I am playing against Peyton this week. Ouch.

Vinatieri has most of my points.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Damn the Colts really pulled it together in the 2nd half... oh I'm sorry, Act II :roll: (NBC sucks)

If this is an indication of how their season is going to be, the AFC is in trouble. Or perhaps this just illustrates the gap between the AFC and the NFC well.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Maybe...maybe now that preseason is over, the dolphins will actually play...all we really need is a semi-decent offense. The defense is performing stupid good....Please please please please please please....All of our losses are under a touchdown so far...good indication?

Yeah, only for a dolphins fan is a loss by less than 7 a good thing. Sheesh.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dark Flame wrote:
The defense was fairly solid all year. They weren't a shutdown perfect defense, but they did a good job, and didn't give up 30 per game. SI.com says the Browns gave up 22 points per game, 22nd in the league.
So it wasn't quite thirty, but 22 points a game in the AFC is not a good formula if you want to avoid double digit losses.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dark Flame wrote:
The defense was fairly solid all year. They weren't a shutdown perfect defense, but they did a good job, and didn't give up 30 per game. SI.com says the Browns gave up 22 points per game, 22nd in the league.
So it wasn't quite thirty, but 22 points a game in the AFC is not a good formula if you want to avoid double digit losses.

Sorry Chardok I couldn't resist, but I found this excellent pictoral representation of the Dolphins upcoming season.

And before anyone gets upset that's a prehistoric fossilized skull, therefore not tasteless.

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Chardok wrote:Maybe...maybe now that preseason is over, the dolphins will actually play...all we really need is a semi-decent offense. The defense is performing stupid good....Please please please please please please....All of our losses are under a touchdown so far...good indication?

Quite. It was torturous 2 years ago to be a Chargers fan, holder of something like 6 losses by 10 points or less, and most of them 7 or less. But FYI, that season your Dolphins blindsided us the week before we ended Indy's from-week-1 winning streak IIRC. **edit** that loss kicked us out of playoff contention.

At least the Colts game upheld the transitive property in math. Colts > Bears and Bears > Saints so Colts > Saints held up. God knows the reality is voodoo magic in the NFL.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:
Chardok wrote:Maybe...maybe now that preseason is over, the dolphins will actually play...all we really need is a semi-decent offense. The defense is performing stupid good....Please please please please please please....All of our losses are under a touchdown so far...good indication?

Quite. It was torturous 2 years ago to be a Chargers fan, holder of something like 6 losses by 10 points or less, and most of them 7 or less. But FYI, that season your Dolphins blindsided us the week before we ended Indy's from-week-1 winning streak IIRC. **edit** that loss kicked us out of playoff contention.

At least the Colts game upheld the transitive property in math. Colts > Bears and Bears > Saints so Colts > Saints held up. God knows the reality is voodoo magic in the NFL.
Ahh, yes, The Dolphins not only crush the dreams of their fans, but also perform just well enough so that it crushes other teams hopes and dreams as well.

Well, we'll see. I mean, honestly...These days you really can't tell (Unless the teams are indy or New England) Man...I feel sorry for the west coast...whatever happened to their awesomeness?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Bah, I was at work, anyone wanna sum up the game tonight?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Knife wrote:Bah, I was at work, anyone wanna sum up the game tonight?
Indianapolis played the second half. New Orleans didn't.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Opening Weekend has arrived and here are the winners:

Bills
Jaguars
Redskins
Panthers
Patriots
Vikings
Steelers
Eagles
Chiefs
Chargers
Cowboys
Seahawks
Lions
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

*quivers with anticipation* 16.5 more hours to kickoff...Please let the Gods of 83 smile on us!!!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chardok wrote:*quivers with anticipation* 16.5 more hours to kickoff...Please let the Gods of 83 smile on us!!!
83? Methinks your fingers shifted to the right and you meant 72.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Chardok wrote:*quivers with anticipation* 16.5 more hours to kickoff...Please let the Gods of 83 smile on us!!!
Well with Shula more than a decade gone its useless to call on the Gods of 72 so hoping for Marino and the Gods of 83 is probably the best he can hope for.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:
Well with Shula more than a decade gone its useless to call on the Gods of 72 so hoping for Marino and the Gods of 83 is probably the best he can hope for.
Yes but if you are going to invoke the past you should at least call on a team that won the Super Bowl and not one that fell short in a prelude of the next 25 years of Dolphins Football.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hey, Elfdart... You not picking the Monday nighters?

Now here are the real winners :wink:

Packers
Texans
Bills
Browns
Rams
Vikings
Patriots
Dolphins
Jaguars
Chargers
Seahawks
Raiders
Giants
Ravens
49ers
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Patriots
Broncos
Jaguars
Eagles
Chiefs
Rams
Redskins
Vikings
Steelers
Lions
Seahawks
Chargers
Cowboys
Ravens
Niners

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanks for the reminder. I'll take the Niners and Bengals on Monday Night.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Yeah, I meant 83. We have a good defense...we need to kick the offense into high gear starting with the aquisition of a super-hot not-3-years-away-from-retirement quarterback and Ricky Williams minus assholery.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Don't forget Saban Shennanigans on that list!

The AFC East is a brutal division to be stuck in during the "rebuilding process" a.k.a "years where a team sucks". I am actually surprised that the Dolphins did not more actively pursue Jeff Garcia to fill the void at Quarterback. Garcia can make progress with even an average recieving corps and then the Fins only need to find a good running back in order to get back to a level where they can compete for the playoffs.