NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Garcia is only good in a West Coast offense that has a line. SF and Phily. NOT Cleveland. Cam runs a Norv Turner offense.
How is the Dolphins O-line anyway? Does it suck donkey balls like the rest of the offense? From the one preseason game I saw it does. Just takes those donkey balls, shaves 'em up nice and just swishes 'em around in it's mouth. For like three and a half hours. :twisted:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Chardok wrote:Yeah, only for a dolphins fan is a loss by less than 7 a good thing. Sheesh.
So does that make an overtime a doubleplus good thing? :?
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

J E T S Jets Jets... *sob*

Is it bad that I WANTED Pennington to be done? I was reminded of another Jets/Patriots meeting when a QB went down, sparking a new era of that team. Sure, Kellen Clemens is no Tom Brady, but I just want Pennington to go away.

Its going to be a long fucking season.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So far I'm really pretty lousy at picking games. And how in the hell does a playoff team like KC suck so bad against the TEXANS?

Lions destroying Raiders...good.

Bears edging San Diego...not good.

The Mike Vickless Falcons fail on an all new level for the first time since the Dirty Birds got out of the NFC "West"...delicious.

Green Bay wins...bad...but they beat the Eagles...good!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Bears edging San Diego...not good.
Bite your tongue!

The Bears got stuffed on a 4th and 1 with 6 minutes to go, they're down 14-3. LT has a touchdown pass to Gates and a running touchdown, both late game.

Same old stories with the Bears, turnovers and anemic offense keep the defense on the field too damn long. It's like the Super Bowl all over again.

edit: update: Bears forced to take a timeout with 2:27 left. It's 2nd down for the Chargers. This game's about a wrap, especially with one more 1st down.

DA BEARZ: lose. 14-3. :D
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Maybe I spoke too soon. Browns looked like shit. 34-7 loss to the Steelers.

Frye sucked donkey balls. Andersen looked far better, but not quite good enough to win. Brady never played. The O-line is vastly improved, and I don't think that the IIRC 5 sacks on Frye were deserved or should be blamed on them. I saw at least 1 where Frye flat out walked into a sack that should never have happened. On another occasion Frye had all day to throw, no pressure at all, and threw it into double coverage for a pick. And he had a wide-open Jamal Lewis 5 fucking yards in front of him!!!! :roll:

Unless something improves, it looks like a repeat of last year. We have some solid players, but the team collectively shoots themselves in the foot at the worst times.

The one bright spot I saw was Kellen Winslow Jr. He looked good, catching the ball and playing with his customary intensity, but tempered with some maturity and leadership.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Bejeebus. If you bet $100 on 10-to-1 odds of Buffalo losing a game by less than three points and did that for sixteen games, you'd be a rich frigging man.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Bejeebus. If you bet $100 on 10-to-1 odds of Buffalo losing a game by less than three points and did that for sixteen games, you'd be a rich frigging man.
Kevin Everett is in emergency surgery right now for a cervical spine injury.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

So it looks like the Dolphins O-line has benefitted greatly from the big shuffle just a few days before the game. All in all, the game was exactly what I expected, defense, defense, defense. The OT was a nice capper and cheers to the skins on that field goal, it was pretty.

All the phins really need is a QB and an RB, and I think they'd be more than just playoff contenders, they'd be a fucking FORCE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Even though TB lost, I think they showed real promise today. Garcia passed for 201 yds and was out for a big chunk of the game. Hasselback was in the whole time and only managed 221 yds. He's the best QB we've had in a long time.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ericxihn
Youngling

Post by Ericxihn »

Keith Olbermann's worst person in the NFL is... Jets fans.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Did anyone else think that Philly got jacked on those two muffed kicks in their game against Green Bay?

Neither of those return men got anywhere near the type of space that they are supposed to get so they can at least try and catch the ball. It seemed to obvious to me that I just assumed they must have changed the "cushion" rules this year since nothing was being called. Then Dan Marino commented about it during one of the post game shows.

So it seems either Dan is out of the loop too or the Philly coaching staff is because they didn't complain about either muffed kick.

Anyway, I still thought Green Bay's special teams and defense played well. Their offense is still pretty weak and I don't think it's all on Brett Favre. Either they can't run the ball worth a crap or Philly has a very impressive run D.

Philly's D in general seemed good and Michael Westbrook looked to be doing just about everything well on offense.
===

I also watched a bit of the Denver/Buffallo game.

Both of those quarterbacks (J.P. Losman and Jay Cuttler) would end up killing me if I was a fan of either team. Just when things seem to be going great they do something to fuck it up. Sometimes they are attempting to do something great but manage to fuck it up. Out of the two of them I think Cuttler looks like he's going to pretty good. He already seems to have more potential than standard Jake Plummer.

Buffallo did have one impressive drive where they just ran it down Denver's throat. That was pretty cool.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

NeoGoomba wrote:J E T S Jets Jets... *sob*

Is it bad that I WANTED Pennington to be done? I was reminded of another Jets/Patriots meeting when a QB went down, sparking a new era of that team. Sure, Kellen Clemens is no Tom Brady, but I just want Pennington to go away.

Its going to be a long fucking season.
Why the hostility to Pennington? His stats were pretty good. But neither he nor the rest of his team is on the same level as the Patriots.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Never go for a stupid giant play when you need to burn the clock you DUMB SHIT!

*cries*
JADAFETWA
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

How about the scorefest between Dallas and NYG? Awesome, pure win for my fantasy team. Between my 5 guys I had going (Romo, Manning, Owens, Burress, and Barber) I scored 136 fantasy points. That's an average of over 27 points per person. I now lead over my opponent 250.99-138.36. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted:

As for the real game, final score was Dallas 45, NYG 35. Both QB's were very impressive, their respective defenses not so much. Each QB had 4 passing TD's and 1 interception. Romo also had a rushing TD.

If not for Tom Coughlin I would feel bad about the Giants' loss, because I have no love for the Cowboys, but I cannot stand that coach. I like the players on the team, but that damn coach just bothers me in every way.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Go Seahawks! Their offense finally looks somewhat evolved. Last year, they were basically trying to replicate 2005 with poor results. It was good to see some screens, a few trick plays, (albeit poor execution) and Alexander/Morris actually being receiving threats. I know they were getting a lot of guff for pulling whizened veteran Marcus Pollard out of the scrapheap known as the Detroit Lions, but based on 4 quarters of play so far he seems more reliable then Jerramy Stevens ever was.

Speaking of which....Stevens was in the game for one play, caught a pass, and promptly fumbled the ball. Too bad there was a penalty that erased it. :evil:
Flagg wrote:Even though TB lost, I think they showed real promise today. Garcia passed for 201 yds and was out for a big chunk of the game. Hasselback was in the whole time and only managed 221 yds. He's the best QB we've had in a long time.
Garcia had a pretty decent game, but don't forget that the Hawks had a lead and Hasselbeck was handing off to Alexander for most of the 4th quarter.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Kuja wrote:Never go for a stupid giant play when you need to burn the clock you DUMB SHIT!

*cries*
Indeed. There were a few calls that game I wanted to debate. All those WR Screens that the Broncos ate alive, for example.

Marshawn, however, was the business
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Elfdart wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:
Why the hostility to Pennington? His stats were pretty good. But neither he nor the rest of his team is on the same level as the Patriots.
Theres just something about him I really don't like, which is odd considering that seasons he's healthy the Jets do reasonably well. Arm strength and lack of mobility seem to bug me the most, and the fact that he's made of eggshells.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Falkenhayn wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:Bejeebus. If you bet $100 on 10-to-1 odds of Buffalo losing a game by less than three points and did that for sixteen games, you'd be a rich frigging man.
Kevin Everett is in emergency surgery right now for a cervical spine injury.
I heard. It's a shame, I hope he's all right.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The doctor who did the operation told ESPN the injury was "catastrophic". Sad to hear that.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:The doctor who did the operation told ESPN the injury was "catastrophic". Sad to hear that.
Yeah. Bills.com is saying that his chance for a complete recovery is "bleak", though he responds to touch stimuli. His life is still in danger as well, and he's in forced sedation.

Some accounts I read said that he actually tried to stand up after the hit.
-Stuart
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7211504
NFL checking claims that Pats stole signals
Associated Press, Updated 1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL is looking into claims a New England Patriots employee was videotaping signals by Jets coaches on New York's sideline during the season opener.

NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory Sunday, according to a report Monday on ESPN.com. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches, who were sending signals out to the players, sources told the Web site.

"The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game," the league said in a statement from spokesman Greg Aiello. "Clubs have specifically been reminded in the past that the videotaping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals on the sidelines is prohibited.

"We are looking into whether the Patriots violated this rule."

The story was first reported on the Web site of Jets Confidential, which said the Jets chief of security alerted NFL security about the issue during the game.

"With anything along those lines, those are all league-related matters, and anything that deals with an issue like this or anything on a team-by-team basis, those all go to the league," coach Eric Mangini said in his news conference Monday.

When asked if the Jets had in fact notified the league, he said: "It's all a league matter."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined comment. New England cornerback Ellis Hobbs said he was unaware of the controversy, and unwilling to believe his team had cheated.

"We put too many hours in as individuals and a team to have to go out and cheat," he said. "If it's true, obviously, we're in the wrong. But I'm standing behind my team, my coaches. I don't think we do that stuff."

Last November, the Green Bay Packers had an issue with a man wearing a Patriots staff credential and carrying a video camera on the sidelines at Lambeau Field.

Teams are allowed to have a limited number of their own videographers on the sideline during the game, but they must have a credential that authorizes them to shoot video, and wear a yellow vest. But Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb said the person in question didn't have the right credential and wasn't wearing a yellow vest, so Packers security asked him to put away the camera.
Boy if this is true I hope the Pats get nailed good for it.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I just read that myself, actually. At first I wanted to groan, thinking it was the Jets grasping at straws in some way, shape, or form. But then reading about the previous incident made me sincerely question it.

Sadly though, even if the Patriots were stealing signs, that doesn't change Pennington's willow arm, or Randy Moss burning us in the backfield through triple coverage.
-Agent Kay
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Well couple thoughts for my 'Skins. Campbell looked like he was still in college during the first quarter then managed to actually put together a couple of decent drives late in the game especially managing the drive to the 4th qtr field goal and then the drive in overtime. For everyone who said Portis wasn't ready the chip is just barely getting off his shoulder and if he can have a year even CLOSE to what he had two years ago the skins will take the NFC wild card (two solid backs an one of the better tight ends in the leauge means Campbell has plenty to fall back on). Moreover the defense looked pretty good aside from a couple stupid plays which we can't afford against a team with actual offensive weapons, that being said no team in the NFC East has a truly deep offensive assault so I'm not too worried.

The bigger concern is how will the line hold up with Jansen gone for the rest of the season. I'm a big fan of Heyor, he was one of the reasons Maryland had such an awesome running game (Gaither being the other but he's over learning from Ogden on the Raven) still he's only a rookie and I worry how that will translate five or six games into the season. He's big, strong and athletic and handled Miami's defense pretty well opening a few holes and otherwise holding down his end of the line...BUT that's one game and come late in the season I just don't know. That said Samuels looked pretty good so the left side should be fine and Campbell protected from too many head knocking blows I just worry about the run game which has been about off tackle keyed to Jansen. So anyway solid special teams, a kicker who puts the ball in the uprights, solid game mnagement towards the end of the clock and I have hope for a 9-7 season with just the tiniest tinkling that we could be 10-6 is the O-line holds.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Falkenhayn wrote:
Elfdart wrote:The doctor who did the operation told ESPN the injury was "catastrophic". Sad to hear that.
Yeah. Bills.com is saying that his chance for a complete recovery is "bleak", though he responds to touch stimuli. His life is still in danger as well, and he's in forced sedation.

Some accounts I read said that he actually tried to stand up after the hit.
Such a waste. The AP banner on my home page is reporting that he's expecting to be partially paralyzed. What a shame.