ASM #544: Iron Man gets pwned.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The some of the older versions of the classic red and gold armor used to include a metal mesh that magnetized or something after it all slid into place.

Tony used to cary around a attache case which looked like all it pretty much had was the helmet, gauntlets and boots in it. When he put those on he'd press a button and the mesh would slide up his arms and legs and then he'd "magnetize" it and he'd look like classic Iron Man, where the gold portions of his armor looked like skin tight solid pieces but they were still flexible enough for him to move in.

Given how much more high tech the Iron Man armor is these days I wouldn't be suprised if parts of it are actually less impact resistant than the older "low tech" stuff when the armor isn't powered up. There have to be some concessions because of all the crap he's cramming into the armor these days
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

While I hate Tony almost as much as JMS, etc. seem to, I'm not entirely sure what Peter's point is. "You said we'd be safe! You said you'd protect us! But then I took my family away from the multi-million dollar apartment you had put them in, and it's your fault they were attacked!"

Seeing how much Peter is consumed by guilt for Uncle Ben's death, I'm suprised that he isn't feeling as responsible for this one too...
"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Ah, crap, missed an image.

Could a mod edit this one between the two in my previous post?
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Judging from the panels, Peter's still in "very angry" mode regarding his Aunt. He's probably too pissed off about his Aunt getting shot at all to feel anything else - and Iron Man makes a pretty good target for his frustration.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Fiji_Fury wrote:Judging from the panels, Peter's still in "very angry" mode regarding his Aunt. He's probably too pissed off about his Aunt getting shot at all to feel anything else - and Iron Man makes a pretty good target for his frustration.
Heck, Iron Man makes a pretty good target for anyone's frustration.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Androsphinx wrote:While I hate Tony almost as much as JMS, etc. seem to, I'm not entirely sure what Peter's point is.
He told Tony when he unmasked that if anything happened to May or MJ then Stark would be a marked man.

I don't think Peter is abrogating his responsibility in the matter but Stark did manipulate him into unmasking and then drove Peter to switch sides by acting like an unethical jerk.

Peter probably knows he shouldn't have unmasked in the first place nor should he have allowed Stark to manipulate him into supporting the wrong side.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I don't have the context from the rest of the comic book, but just judging from the conversation between Peter and Tony, it comes across to me that Iron Man is losing control of the situation (probably between the rogue superheroes and the Hulk), and is almost forced to be as much of a dick as he's been acting in order to keep everything from falling apart.

Nice to see him with a more human side, though. Because, as much as he is a dick, he does appear to at least be genuinely sorry about May being hospitalized.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Because, as much as he is a dick, he does appear to at least be genuinely sorry about May being hospitalized.
It's annoying in that even when he does something nice for someone he has to be a jerk about it.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Praxis wrote:
Because, as much as he is a dick, he does appear to at least be genuinely sorry about May being hospitalized.
It's annoying in that even when he does something nice for someone he has to be a jerk about it.
It is. Though it would be interesting if they do go with the idea of Iron Man being forced to act this way more and more because showing the slightest amount of mercy would cause his whole setup to come crashing down. Maybe because an even more ruthless draconian is jockeying for his spot, and is looking for excuses to toss Stark out.

I mean, the fact that he can't openly help an injured bystander (who even happened to be a friend) because she is related to a fugitive should be a sign that the structure of the organization is becoming unstable.

Hopefully that's the direction this is going, because it would actually be a cooler story than Iron Man being a douchebag for no real reason.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

They kind of dropped hints that way in Mighty Avengers #1 (in his conversation with Carol Danvers), and in Iron Man's own comic (dealing with the new Secretary of Defense). I do hope you're right, though, and he's being a dick to prevent an even BIGGER dick from taking his place and making things worse.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fucking damn it. They are going to kill Tony. I just read this issue tonight. Marvel is going to wait until after the movie comes out and they are going to kill Stark.
Think about it. Richards is smarter than he is so you aren't losing the smart guy. Rhodes has been Iron Man before, so someone else can be under the armor. There are enough smarties to keep the armor working and keep upgrading it. He probably willed Stark Industries to Peter Parker.
They are going to kill Stark. Fuck. :cry:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

It'd be cool if Peter inherited Stark Industries. :)

Of course they'd have to fuck him out of that in a few years at most because we can't have a non-angsty, living the good life Spider-man.
It would absolutely be hilarious having Peter be rich enough to be able to stick things right back at J. Jonah Jameson. :)

I'd miss cool Tony though. Iron Prick Tony, on the other hand, deserves a serious ass kicking.

It'd be kind of strange if they kill off Tony. That would mean that recently Captain America, Thor and Iron Man have all been killed off or at least presumed dead.

With the popularity of the Ultimates do you think that they feel okay in totally revamping the Avengers by getting rid of the big three? I know Thor is back but with how he was getting along with Iron Man recently I think they really want to free him up for his own book and not have to worry about what's going on in the Avengers.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. The look on Iron Pricks face when Thor picks him up by the neck, you can just tell he's pissing himself.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Dominus Atheos wrote:That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. The look on Iron Pricks face when Thor picks him up by the neck, you can just tell he's pissing himself.
One of the advantages of a built-in toilet in the armor, I suppose.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

havokeff wrote:Fucking damn it. They are going to kill Tony. I just read this issue tonight. Marvel is going to wait until after the movie comes out and they are going to kill Stark.
Think about it. Richards is smarter than he is so you aren't losing the smart guy. Rhodes has been Iron Man before, so someone else can be under the armor. There are enough smarties to keep the armor working and keep upgrading it. He probably willed Stark Industries to Peter Parker.
They are going to kill Stark. Fuck. :cry:
Yeah. They're going to wait until after the movie comes out, when lots of new interest in the character has been generated and then kill him.

Yup. Sure they are.

Are you high? Besides, I have no clue where you're getting the idea Marvel are planning to kill off Stark soon from that Thor issue.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I guess someone at marvel remembered Arno, and is clearing the way for him to take over. :twisted:

besdies Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, little old ladies that remember Captain America punching out Hitler. Iron Man's been getting his ass whipped by everyone. (of course those same little old ladies just kicked the borg's asses, followed by a bunch of Persian troops)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Praxis wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. The look on Iron Pricks face when Thor picks him up by the neck, you can just tell he's pissing himself.
One of the advantages of a built-in toilet in the armor, I suppose.
At that point, Iron Man had just had his armor fried by a bigass lightning bolt. I'm pretty sure that the toilet wasn't working. :P
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Edit: I found scans!

:mrgreen:
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

I already posted all of that. There's a thread for it.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Praxis wrote:I already posted all of that. There's a thread for it.
Whoops, I meant to post it in that one.

(Iron Man's getting pwned a lot, isn't he?)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It'd be great if he pulled a feat of Incalculable Irondickery and dicked everyone else in one last great feat of unmatched unstoppable dickery.

Iron Man Blows Up The Earth!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
Praxis wrote:I already posted all of that. There's a thread for it.
Whoops, I meant to post it in that one.

(Iron Man's getting pwned a lot, isn't he?)
I already posted those in link format in that thread too :) But yeah, Iron Man is getting pwned a lot. I'm surprised he survived WWH.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

On what level? Are you seriously 'surprised' one of the most important Marvel characters survived WWH? :shock:
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

One of them didn't survive civil war.