DragonWars 9/14/07

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

DragonWars 9/14/07

Post by LadyTevar »

The Site

Short Synopsis, from the Press Site:

Dragon-like creatures from an ancient legend appear in Los Angeles, scale buildings, flip cars and terrorize the city in search for a girl named Sarah. While investigating one of the disaster sites, a TV reporter Ethan, uncovers a piece of debris which directly links him to this legend. Ethan must realize his destiny as an ancient warrior who was re-born to protect Sarah from the evil dragons and save the city from total destruction.

Now, the story's cheesy. The special effects seen so far are not. There is a trailer on the main site that is (IMHO) several levels of badass.

Discussion?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

It looks interesting. To be honest, I'm not all that fond of most of the dragon designs being used; they're supposed to be evil, so they could do with a darker colour scheme. Apart from that, it looks action packed, so it might be good for a bit of mindless fun.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I agree on all points.

Saw the preview in theaters in front of Superbad; it looks like a brilliant popcorn flick, good candidate for a few pocket shots.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I concur with Sriad's analysis on all points.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Looks cool, although obviously the Apache pilots never watched Godzilla, or they'd know to fly above the buildings, not between them :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Pass-adena. PG-13 movies generally scare the shit out of me due to the fact that it will be next to impossible to have a quality theater experience, that and any and all monster movies as of late end up being less than 1/10th monster and mostly a bunch of irritating people running around annoying the hell out of me.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Pass-adena. PG-13 movies generally scare the shit out of me due to the fact that it will be next to impossible to have a quality theater experience, that and any and all monster movies as of late end up being less than 1/10th monster and mostly a bunch of irritating people running around annoying the hell out of me.
Yeah; I used to say 'all the good bits of a movie like that will be in the trailer' - now I can say 'all the even vaguely interesting bits will appear in youtube remixes inside of a month, probably with better music than the original' ;)
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Dragon-like creatures from an ancient legend appear in Los Angeles, scale buildings, flip cars and terrorize the city in search for a girl named Sarah. While investigating one of the disaster sites, a TV reporter Ethan, uncovers a piece of debris which directly links him to this legend. Ethan must realize his destiny as an ancient warrior who was re-born to protect Sarah from the evil dragons and save the city from total destruction.
Let me just say, good move, movie people. Way to totally give away the entire story right there. God forbid the audience should actually pay to see the movie to find all this out, silly though it may be. Now if you could just stick all the good shots in the ads, you could render going to see this totally unnecessary.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I thought this should be under off-topic?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Starts tommarow... Anyone seeing it?>
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Ah, ye olde 'passable-to-supar-lame plot mixed with OMGXBOXHUGE budget and WTFAWESOME SFX' formula. Popcorn flick off the bow, Cap'n! :lol:
Image Image
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The dragons have the same problem the Kraken did in POTC2. The lighting is off.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Too bad it looks more like a SciFi movie of the week, http://filmdrunk.com/post.phtml?pk=219
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Oh, god, that looks so retarded.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

This movie could have been totally sweet if they had more Dragons and less Snake. A war of dragons, or a war conducted WITH dragons, could have been some fun popcorn-popping time, but this is looking like too much of an emphasis on people, with the only real dragon payoff being the snakey ones and some minor shots of wingaling dragons doing things, like flying away from cameras. I might as well go watch the American Godzilla movie again.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Covenant wrote:This movie could have been totally sweet if they had more Dragons and less Snake. A war of dragons, or a war conducted WITH dragons, could have been some fun popcorn-popping time, but this is looking like too much of an emphasis on people, with the only real dragon payoff being the snakey ones and some minor shots of wingaling dragons doing things, like flying away from cameras. I might as well go watch the American Godzilla movie again.
You know, I was thinking something similar. When I saw a majority of the main action scenes were just two hooded-vipers biting each others' necks and coiling about I just thought "Where are the fucking dragons?" Sure, it's probably related to South Korea's version of dragons but I still felt cheated.

I dunno. It might fall into the "so bad it's funny" category, but those scenes I saw were just stupid.

Might as well go watch Reign of Fire, instead. At least that's got some "so bad it's good" action going for it, plus a complete lack of snakes.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

JADAFETWA