Songs That Bring You To Tears

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Songs That Bring You To Tears

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

I was just listening to "Stay" by Jackson Browne, and for some reason one of the places in that songs made me well up a little. Probably the sentiment "the lights come up and we remember why we came." I know the feeling--playing in front of a crowd is incredible.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any songs that y'all folks listen to that bring you to tears often, whether it be an entire song or just one place in a song.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

There are some songs that can make me get watery eyed, but I actually have to prepare myself beforehand to let myself do that (really handy when I'm feeling emotional distress and knowing I have to let it out at some point).

If there's a particularily good musical piece to say, a good movie, it can get to me unexpectedly.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

"Something to Believe in" By Poison.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

"Dreaming Of You" by Selena always makes me feel sad for some strange reason.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I almost lost it when our All State band was playing Frank Tichelli's An American Elegy. Also, for some reason, I almost can't listen to the ending song from Howl's Moving Castle. I like it, but it's painful - and usually simple songs like that don't get to me.

There are probably more. Music's more likely to get me to tear up than anything else.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

When I was little kid, "You are my sunshine" would make me bawl. Every time. To this day, it still makes me sad and I have no idea why.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The song "Call me" On the third to the last Epasode of "Cowboy Bebop" I sweare I begin to tear up when I hear the opening guitar cordes.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

A Dutch song.
"Het Dorp" (The Village) by Wim Sonneveld.
He sings about how the village of his youth is gone. Fleetingness illustrated in a song, and it makes me weep every time I hear it. One of those few perfect songs.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Final movement of the 1812 Overture has reduced me to tears every time I've heard it since I watched my father perform it with an orchestra full of doctors seven years ago.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Drewcifer wrote:When I was little kid, "You are my sunshine" would make me bawl. Every time. To this day, it still makes me sad and I have no idea why.
I was the same way throughout my youth--I had a little toy something-or-other that played the song and it would always make me cry.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

"Remember Me This Way" as sung by Jordan Hill (Casper soundtrack, anyone?) used to make me terribly sad, enough to cry sometimes. As a kid, I always cried at "Baby Mine" in Dumbo, though.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

'Puff the Magic Dragon'. The ultimate bittersweet song about lost childhood.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Only two songs have ever really done that to me: Layla by Eric Clapton, and American Pie by Don McLean.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

1812 overture gets me, too, but it depends on what kind of circumstances I'm hearing it in.

One that gets me all the time is Ocean Gypsy, by Blackmore's Night. Almost every time, that one. I can't count the number of funny looks I got while peddling to work on my bicycle, crying my eyes out with my headphones plugged into my ears.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

The musical scores from Edward Scissor Hands and Children of Men were very haunting and tear inducing...
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The song that to me means "most bereft of joy or happiness" is For My Fallen Angel by My Dying Bride.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

A song has never made me cry, except by association. For example, if you played the song from the end of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark," forget, I'd be crying like a little bitch. But I'd be thinking about Fry's dog, not the song itself.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The only song that consistently provokes a large emotional reaction in me is the second movement of the Eroica symphony. More specifically, it's the theme rehash and climax about halfway through.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Googoo Dolls- Iris

Johnny Cash- Hurt (not to mention he does it so much better than Reznor did)

Duran Duran- Ordinary World I blame my wife for this one. This was her 'I want to cry' song.

Staind - Outside only the acoustic version makes me teary for some reason. I don't even like anything else staind has ever done so this one mystifies me.

Metallica- One every time I hear it I think of the video made with 'Johnny got his gun' scenes and I go right off. I am one of the few who has actually seen the whole movie (even after metallica made the video the movie was a bitch to find) it just wasn't popular in its day cause noone wanted its horrifying image of the realities of war. Rather absurdly a remake is set to be released next year.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.