Dolphins*
Cardinals
Lions
Broncos
Bears
Ravens
Chargers
Eagles

*No, I wasn't drinking. Two good teams coming off big wins playing road games against wank opponents whose seasons were over before kickoff last weekend. I can see both of these being sloppy, ugly 16-13 games.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Saints
Packers
49ers
Jaguars
Colts
Bengals
Bills
Panthers
Vikings
Cowboys
Cardinals
Bears
Broncos
Ravens
Chargers
Eagles

The only picks I'm iffy on are the Cardinals at home against the Seahawks and the Vikings on the road against the Lions
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

havokeff wrote:
The Dark wrote:
There is not ONE single game in the last 5 years that the Patriots won that they would have lost if they didn't know "teh magiks of teh hand signalz!!!111"
Prove it. You've made an affirmative statement, now prove that every win was done without the aid of cheating.
It's only cheating if you get caught. They didn't get caught, therefor they didn't cheat. Proven. :wink:
Thus, by your logic, if someone commits murder but isn't convicted, they didn't commit a crime. Brilliantly amoral.
Civil War Man wrote:One question I have, is there a difference between watching the Defensive Coordinator to decipher hand signals and watching the QB for a tell?
As far as I know, both are legal. It's recording the calls in a way that allows for immediate use that's against the rules. Looking for tells is not and has never been considered cheating in the NFL. That's the reason Andy Reid has his clipboard in front of his mouth when he calls plays - reading lips is legal. Recording the coach's lips for analysis at halftime in the locker room isn't.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

The Dark wrote:
havokeff wrote:
The Dark wrote:Prove it. You've made an affirmative statement, now prove that every win was done without the aid of cheating.
It's only cheating if you get caught. They didn't get caught, therefor they didn't cheat. Proven. :wink:
Thus, by your logic, if someone commits murder but isn't convicted, they didn't commit a crime. Brilliantly amoral.
Methinks he was being sarcastic.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Dark wrote:*SNIP* Videotaping a football game = murder
Really? I mean really? Is that how your mind works? That because I don't think a lineman holding a defensive player in football and not getting caught isn't cheating, and that video taping and figuring out an opposing teams defensive hand signals with out getting caught isn't cheating and is part of the game that I therefor condone murder as long as you can get away with it? Wow.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
The Dark wrote:
havokeff wrote: It's only cheating if you get caught. They didn't get caught, therefor they didn't cheat. Proven. :wink:
Methinks he was being sarcastic.
You thinks right. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

havokeff wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:Methinks he was being sarcastic.
You thinks right. :D
:P I was just about to chew you out for that strawman up there too. I misunderstood the wink in the original post. Ah, well, I'll just have to root for San Diego this week :D.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It must be great to play defense for the Bengals. They pay you all that money and you get weekends off.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Amazing! The Brownies put up 51 points to beat the Bungles 45-51! After last week looked like the Browns were shitty, and the Bengals looked good, who would have suspected this? One of the most stagnant offenses with a suspect QB beats one of the most dynamic offenses with a veteran, proven QB. Pure awesome! :D
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Chargers look like Notre Dame!

I have a friend who's a fan of theirs, and I pointed out that barring a miraculous comeback, the Niners and Texans will have a better record than they do by the end of the day.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Fuck the patriots! man that loss hurt -- at least alcohol can make it better right? :(
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The only things that can make it better would be DBs who can cover and a decent wideout or two. Tomlinson is averaging less than 2 yards per carry.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:The only things that can make it better would be DBs who can cover and a decent wideout or two. Tomlinson is averaging less than 2 yards per carry.
It's the same story it has been with San Diego the entire Tomlinson era then: defensive backs that can't man up and no deep threat at wide reciever to stretch the field. :roll: Granted, CB's that can one-on-one Moss are few and far between but fuck.

I think losing Donny Edwards hurts this too since it's pass defence in general we're tanking at. Wilhelm is a non-name and non-factor at MLB.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:
Elfdart wrote:The only things that can make it better would be DBs who can cover and a decent wideout or two. Tomlinson is averaging less than 2 yards per carry.
It's the same story it has been with San Diego the entire Tomlinson era then: defensive backs that can't man up and no deep threat at wide reciever to stretch the field. :roll: Granted, CB's that can one-on-one Moss are few and far between but fuck.

I think losing Donny Edwards hurts this too since it's pass defence in general we're tanking at. Wilhelm is a non-name and non-factor at MLB.
You can always tape their hand signals. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

The Buffalo Bills do not believe in Screens, play fakes, bootlegs (or any other form of roll out), well...just play action in general. Or the position of Tight End as anything but Lineman #6 and 7.

1 Play. 1 Screen to Marshawn in Garbage Time. It went for 21 yards. I'm off to rend my garments and run some gravel through my hair.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fuck. I have never been more disappointed with a win. I want to ring Hostler's (49ers Offensive coordinator) neck. I hate his play calling. "Hey they are lining up in nine man fronts and crashing down!" "Ok, another run up the middle it is!!" FUCK! Hasn't this guy heard of play action.

Someone also needs to have a little chat with Smith... It seems like he is hesitating with the ball. I know we don't have the best receivers, but you gotta trust them to make a catch.

On the other hand... LOVE our defense! Two weeks in a row they held pretty high powered offenses to low points. Bend but don't break, I can live with.
I think I am going to write a love poem about our linebackers. :luv:

Well see how we do next week against the Steelers.

Around the league:

The Losers

The Saints: WTF? I've only seen highlights of the games, but they need to quit trying to make Reggie Bush the focus of the offense. He is not there yet. Deuce McCallister is your starting running back. Use him. The good news, I think that the Saints were the last team to start 0-4 and make the playoffs.

The Chargers: The good news is that you already played the two of the best defenses in the league and came away 1-1. The bad news is you've got Snore Turner as your head coach. He is a great offensive mind and an excellent QB mentor, but he is not a great team motivator. I think you are going to sorely miss the "Gleam". P.S. Get a receiver.

The Bangals: WOW. Is your D really that bad? I was watching my games and I thought the the guy that puts in the scores was making a funny joke. 51?? The fact that you were still in it up to the last minute doesn't mean shit either because the Browns D is arguably just as bad as yours. If that was any other team you would have lost by 40.

The Giants: So who is your new coach gonna be next year? We have a great assistant head coach over hear named Mike Singletary. Give him a call.

The Raiders: MARKED improvement over last year. I think that, If they can go into Mile High and get a win, which the almost did (Game of Inches) that they could finish up the season with 6 to 7 wins. They are playing great D and good O. They have come back from 17 and 14 down respectively in both their games this season, and with Cleveland and Miami their next two games they could come out of September 2-2 and with a lot of confidence.

The Titans: You have something really special with Vince Young. Keep building around him. Oh and get LenDale White on a fucking treadmill.

The Falcons: I think Joey Harrington is a mutant and his power is to attract sacks. Man, he just can't catch a break.
Well this is all going to lead up two one of two things. If Micheal Vick gets his off the field BS miraculously taken care of an can somehow be out before the next season starts and the NFL will allow it, he will have his job back OR with the number 1 pick in the draft the Falcon will take Brian Brohm from Louisville.

The Jets When Jets fans actually cheered when you drafted D'Brickshaw and Mangold I thought that there might be a glimmer of intelligence in that fan base, but then you cheered Pennington getting hurt last week. You do realize that you are 8-20 without Pennington starting right? Oh wait, the Ravens must have video taped your hand signals. :roll:

The Winners

The Packers: Looks like Brett is going to get another shot at the Playoffs. I know everyone is still on the Bears bandwagon, but with the Pack's D playing excellent and Brett having the weapons he does, I think that they are going to win the NFC North.

The Broncos: You can kiss the AFC West goodbye. You let two mediocre teams, at best, beat you. Yes, you won the games, but they beat you. If I was the next AFC West team to play the Broncos, I call up a kid from the practice squad and turn him into a human missile aimed right at Elam's knee. :twisted:

The Browns: Well, you have a QB for at least a week and you know that Jamal Lewis can still play. You know that you have weapons in Edwards and Winslow. Unfortunately you know that your defense sucks, however you also know that not everyone has the Bengals offense. Now, can you put that all together and save Romeo's job?

The Patriots: Stop video taping signals. It makes Randy Moss run right through zone coverages and makes the defensive players do nothing about it!! It also makes your Defense destroy a high powered Offense like the Chargers... even though they, don't... use... hand... signals... :roll:

The Bucs: This is what Jeff Garcia should have been doing for the last 5 years for a team. It's too bad the NFL has a fascination with linebacker sized QBs and lets guys like Jeff get relegated to back up status. If he was 6-3 and 220, the Niners would have never let him go. If you guys can keep the Cadillac on the road you can certainly win the NFC South with they way the Saints are playing.

The Texans: 'Bout fucking time. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

The Patriots: Stop video taping signals. It makes Randy Moss run right through zone coverages and makes the defensive players do nothing about it!! It also makes your Defense destroy a high powered Offense like the Chargers... even though they, don't... use... hand... signals... :roll:
Hey now, you shouldn't... you know what, my heart's not in it, after a beating like that. :| I'll state my feelings on SD's offensive woes this year.

Rivers can't seem to get in a groove. Oft-mentioned by commentator's but blindingly clear to see.

Get a wide-reciever. Full-agreement here with you havekoff. Sheesh, Gates, as good as he is, isn't Superman.

LT: RE: Offensive line. If you look at a lot of the runs, it's just lineman not holding blocks for that half-second longer they need to. LT rounds a corner and starts turning up hill but an OLB or DE has just shed a block.
Aside from the 1 on 1's going against us there's also the running straight into 8 man Bear's fronts... yeah.
YEAH. That's brilliant. :roll: The lack of a deep threat plays directly into the 8 man front problem.

I'll say this about Rivers, I'm happy that we have a quarterback that's got a lot of passion like he does. When the offense can't get stuff done he gets angry. Sure, maybe QB is a position you want to see a little calmer and poised and stuff but you know Rivers is a competitor. Least that's how I see it. (or want to see it)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

havokeff wrote:Fuck. I have never been more disappointed with a win. I want to ring Hostler's (49ers Offensive coordinator) neck. I hate his play calling. "Hey they are lining up in nine man fronts and crashing down!" "Ok, another run up the middle it is!!" FUCK! Hasn't this guy heard of play action.

Someone also needs to have a little chat with Smith... It seems like he is hesitating with the ball. I know we don't have the best receivers, but you gotta trust them to make a catch.

On the other hand... LOVE our defense! Two weeks in a row they held pretty high powered offenses to low points. Bend but don't break, I can live with.
I think I am going to write a love poem about our linebackers. :luv:
You're a Niners fan and you WANT Alex Smith to get the ball? That guy is AWFUL. He's never shown a hint of promise that he can even develop into an NFL back-up, and he's worse now. Against eight- and nine-man fronts to stop Gore, he STILL throws picks and fumbles constantly. He's by far the weakest link on our team, and drafting him was one of the litany of errors York has imposed on us.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

havokeff wrote:The Jets When Jets fans actually cheered when you drafted D'Brickshaw and Mangold I thought that there might be a glimmer of intelligence in that fan base, but then you cheered Pennington getting hurt last week. You do realize that you are 8-20 without Pennington starting right? Oh wait, the Ravens must have video taped your hand signals. :roll:
I cheered when we drafted them, and so far theyve only allowed 9 sacks!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

So to all who picked the Eagles..HaHa. For all that folks were prognosticaitng on the Eagles being set to return to top form McNabb still isn't fully mobile, he has no receiver worthy of being a 1st or 2nd receiver and everything they do is because Westbrook is great flat out. Sure their defense is stingy but not enough and when you start eliminating the secondary through prior and in game injury it just leaves it open for the oppnent to keep on movin. Sure the Dlphins don't have the greatest of teams but they have a solid defense and last week Washington converted 50% of their 3rd downs, that is a big stat especially as a lot of those conversions were later and bigger than just a conversion they were drive sustaining. The Skins aren't gonna win pretty until the line stabalizes (and the whole right side is now a replacement so they are screwed for the run unless they open up the pass first) but they can win and more improtantly they beleive they can win. NFC east champs? Possible, Dallas is offensively explosive but defensively porous and the Giants have looked woeful Philly shoudl be on track by midseason enough to maybe take the second game from the skins in vengance but they need to get it together quicker to be in the hunt for the division. That said I don't want to lock anything up since its two weeks in but right now my prior prediction that the NFC East could be won by anyone is looking pretty good by me.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Week 2:

Darth Fanboy (10-6)
Havokeff (9-7)
Elfdart (8-8)
Qwerty 42 (7-8 w/Non pick for Steelers/Bills)

2007 Season:

Darth Fanboy: (19-12)
Elfdart: (19-12)
Havokeff: (16-15)
Qwerty 42: (7-8)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

CmdrWilkens wrote:So to all who picked the Eagles..HaHa.
Hey, I only picked the Eagles because the Redskins have sucked in recent years, not because I think Philly is any good.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I want Philly to start Kolb next week. Even if it's just one series, scare McNabb enough to realize even he's disposable, and maybe he'll start making plays.
BattleTech for SilCore
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

So I'm going to go ahead and focus on the Seahawks coming back from a 17-0 deficit to take a temporary lead....and not on Shaun Alexander blowing an easy play and causing the game-clinching turnover. Speaking of whom, it's starting to look like Alexander's #1 back days are done. He'll be fine in the red zone, but he definitely looks slower then ever when trying to bounce outside or hit holes.

Cincinnati next week.....I can't wait for the offensive explosion. :P If Chad Johnson has < 120 yards I'll be happy.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

LMSx wrote:So I'm going to go ahead and focus on the Seahawks coming back from a 17-0 deficit to take a temporary lead....and not on Shaun Alexander blowing an easy play and causing the game-clinching turnover. Speaking of whom, it's starting to look like Alexander's #1 back days are done. He'll be fine in the red zone, but he definitely looks slower then ever when trying to bounce outside or hit holes.

Cincinnati next week.....I can't wait for the offensive explosion. :P If Chad Johnson has < 120 yards I'll be happy.
While I agree with you that Alexander is clearly on the downside of his career, it looked to me like that fumble was Hasselback's fault. He stopped Alexander from moving forward completely, and tried to stuff the ball over to him instead of giving a proper hand-off. There didn't seem like much Alexander could do, by that point--it was just a miscommunication.