Mystery illness strikes after meteorite

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dargos
Jedi Knight

Mystery illness strikes after meteorite

Post by Dargos »

linky linky
LIMA (AFP) - Villagers in southern Peru were struck by a mysterious illness after a meteorite made a fiery crash to Earth in their area, regional authorities said Monday.

Around midday Saturday, villagers were startled by an explosion and a fireball that many were convinced was an airplane crashing near their remote village, located in the high Andes department of Puno in the Desaguadero region, near the border with Bolivia.

Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a "strange odor," local health department official Jorge Lopez told Peruvian radio RPP.

Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being hospitalized, Lopez said.

Rescue teams and experts were dispatched to the scene, where the meteorite left a 100-foot-wide (30-meter-wide) and 20-foot-deep (six-meter-deep) crater, said local official Marco Limache.

"Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby. Residents are very concerned," he said
Scoff if you must, but when brain eating zombies or super powered mutants result from this, don't say you weren't warned.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Zombies and mutants may be the least of our worries, but I doubt it was packing anything more sophisticated than a noxious gas that can be found here on terra firma.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lavos?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Dalton wrote:Lavos?
Not our problem then. The earth has approximately 65,000,000 years to get ready for him. :D
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Sounds like excessively high radiation.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Probably the impact of the meteor kicked up a bunch of fungus & stuff in the topsoil and clouded the area with little spores that interfered with respiration. My guess.

Or we all get used to a steady diet of braaaaiiinnnsssss.....
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I would guess that the meteor was sulfur or mercury-rich, and created noxious vapors upon vaporization.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

So it won't be space vampires (Life Force) or the the Andromeda virus (The Andromeda Strain)? That's too bad. At least we got BSE from space. That's mildly icky and sci-fi-ish.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:So it won't be space vampires (Life Force) or the the Andromeda virus (The Andromeda Strain)? That's too bad. At least we got BSE from space. That's mildly icky and sci-fi-ish.
Someone should check the meteors for Kryptonite.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Gaidin wrote:
Dalton wrote:Lavos?
Not our problem then. The earth has approximately 65,000,000 years to get ready for him. :D
Does that mean that we'll see a spiky-haired dinosaur with a katana sometime soon?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I'm betting on the Colour out of Space, myself. :)
Geodd
Youngling

Post by Geodd »

Or it could simply be psychological. Wouldn't be the first time a spectacular event set off some funky herd behaviour.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

We should nuke the area just to be safe.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I would guess that the meteor was sulfur or mercury-rich, and created noxious vapors upon vaporization.
This kind of thing is exactly why we need pocket spectrometers! I don't suppose anyone bothered to get an air sample?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

Nickel is also toxic. There's a chance, if the meteorite was of iron-nickel composition, that a significant amount was vaporized.
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Geodd wrote:Or it could simply be psychological. Wouldn't be the first time a spectacular event set off some funky herd behaviour.
Mass hysteria had been my first thought as well.
Doom dOom doOM DOom doomity DooM doom Dooooom Doom DOOM!
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:We should nuke the area just to be safe.
Nobody ever takes this comment seriously. Who wants to be eating brains for the rest of their lives?!

On a more serious note, I thought of the heat from the impact putting plant particles into the air too. Kind of like how burning poison ivy isn't much better for you than rubbing it on your skin.
Sig.
ThatGuyFromThatPlace
Jedi Knight

Post by ThatGuyFromThatPlace »

BBC reports that a bull is dead and other livestock sick, which seems to rule out simple hysteria, and a Peruvian geologist says it's not radiation (though I'm not sure how he's qualified to make that call).

I for one welcome our new Old One overlords.
[img=right]http://www.geocities.com/jamealbeluvien/revolution.jpg[/img]"Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
- The Operative, Serenity
"Everything they've ever "known" has been proven to be wrong. A thousand years ago everybody knew as a fact, that the earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, they knew it was flat. Fifteen minutes ago, you knew we humans were alone on it. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Agent Kay, Men In Black
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Wold Newton family soon to emerge?
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

More then likely it's something that was thrown up into the atmosphere.

The bull's atopsy should clarify things.

And if it's alien organisms, get samples, and nuke the area.

I'm serious on the nuking part.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Carbonaceous meteorites often contain all kinds of organic materials, like sugars, carboxylic acid, and various amino acids. My biology is terribly rusty (and was never that shiny to begin with), but I suppose it wouldn't be too far a jump for a meteorite to harbour some type of compound that would make people sick.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Solauren wrote:I'm serious on the nuking part.
And more than once.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Kane lives!
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Is that...Satire?