NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Dark wrote:I want Philly to start Kolb next week. Even if it's just one series, scare McNabb enough to realize even he's disposable, and maybe he'll start making plays.
McNabb is very clearly still injured and starting Kolb won't do a damn thing to change that. Moreover with the shit ass receiver corps they have Kolb is gonna either throw interceptions or get coverage sacks because even with McNabb still off his game he is sitll more mobile in the pocket than Kolb.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

From what I saw, McNabb has a fucked up right leg and is trying to throw off the left one. Since he's right-handed... SURPRISE! -his passes are floating on him and are inaccurate to boot. Solution: McNabb sits unless and until his leg is in good enough condition for him to do his job. Andy Reid has a decision to make, now doesn't he?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Master of Ossus wrote:
havokeff wrote:Fuck. I have never been more disappointed with a win. I want to ring Hostler's (49ers Offensive coordinator) neck. I hate his play calling. "Hey they are lining up in nine man fronts and crashing down!" "Ok, another run up the middle it is!!" FUCK! Hasn't this guy heard of play action.

Someone also needs to have a little chat with Smith... It seems like he is hesitating with the ball. I know we don't have the best receivers, but you gotta trust them to make a catch.

On the other hand... LOVE our defense! Two weeks in a row they held pretty high powered offenses to low points. Bend but don't break, I can live with.
I think I am going to write a love poem about our linebackers. :luv:
You're a Niners fan and you WANT Alex Smith to get the ball? That guy is AWFUL. He's never shown a hint of promise that he can even develop into an NFL back-up, and he's worse now. Against eight- and nine-man fronts to stop Gore, he STILL throws picks and fumbles constantly. He's by far the weakest link on our team, and drafting him was one of the litany of errors York has imposed on us.
Not sure how old you are, but do you remember that Joe Montana threw FIVE interceptions in the conference championship game against the Cowboys that produced "The Catch"? Know why they actually won that game? Defense. And of course one of the greatest catches in NFL history. :wink:

Steve Young was a QB for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in his first 2 years in the NFL. He went 3-19 with 11 TDs and 21 INTs. he is in the Hall of Fame.

My point? QBs, with the exception of Rothelisberger, don't normally come out winning Super Bowls. You have to have patience.
Alex Smith has a good defense now. (It is why they are 2-0) He has a full year as a starter behind him. He is in his second year in the same offensive system and he has a very good running back to hand off to. He will be a very GOOD QB, if not great.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Master of Ossus wrote:
LMSx wrote:So I'm going to go ahead and focus on the Seahawks coming back from a 17-0 deficit to take a temporary lead....and not on Shaun Alexander blowing an easy play and causing the game-clinching turnover. Speaking of whom, it's starting to look like Alexander's #1 back days are done. He'll be fine in the red zone, but he definitely looks slower then ever when trying to bounce outside or hit holes.

Cincinnati next week.....I can't wait for the offensive explosion. :P If Chad Johnson has < 120 yards I'll be happy.
While I agree with you that Alexander is clearly on the downside of his career, it looked to me like that fumble was Hasselback's fault. He stopped Alexander from moving forward completely, and tried to stuff the ball over to him instead of giving a proper hand-off. There didn't seem like much Alexander could do, by that point--it was just a miscommunication.
I don't think Seatle's offensive line has been as good since the Superbowl Season, plus Alexander has has various issues of his own since then. This last week one of his hands was in a huge ass cast. I can't say I'm surprised that at some point during the game he fumbled or had a bad exchange with the quarterback. When I was watching part of the first half he had to be pretty creative just to catch an easy screen pass. Of course I was wondering, "WTF are they doing throwing a pass to a running back with only one working hand?"
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Tsyroc wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:
LMSx wrote:So I'm going to go ahead and focus on the Seahawks coming back from a 17-0 deficit to take a temporary lead....and not on Shaun Alexander blowing an easy play and causing the game-clinching turnover. Speaking of whom, it's starting to look like Alexander's #1 back days are done. He'll be fine in the red zone, but he definitely looks slower then ever when trying to bounce outside or hit holes.

Cincinnati next week.....I can't wait for the offensive explosion. :P If Chad Johnson has < 120 yards I'll be happy.
While I agree with you that Alexander is clearly on the downside of his career, it looked to me like that fumble was Hasselback's fault. He stopped Alexander from moving forward completely, and tried to stuff the ball over to him instead of giving a proper hand-off. There didn't seem like much Alexander could do, by that point--it was just a miscommunication.
I don't think Seatle's offensive line has been as good since the Superbowl Season, plus Alexander has has various issues of his own since then. This last week one of his hands was in a huge ass cast. I can't say I'm surprised that at some point during the game he fumbled or had a bad exchange with the quarterback. When I was watching part of the first half he had to be pretty creative just to catch an easy screen pass. Of course I was wondering, "WTF are they doing throwing a pass to a running back with only one working hand?"
Of course, Shaun usually has to get creative to catch a screen with two working hands. :P

As far as the play: Alexander said in the post game that he thought Hasselbeck had called an audible- he had; only it was a fake audible. There's only so much Hasselbeck can do, at some point he has to trust that the other players will pick up on what they're supposed to know. I don't want to sound too negative on Shaun, it's just that between the complete lack of a running game in the 1st half and the final fumble.....he didn't really help the cause. Here's to a happier game against the Cincinnati D.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Niners lose Manny Lawson, not their best player but still a big loss on Defense. Tearing an ACL in practice has to be one of the worst ways to get hurt, especially because it wasn't even in a game.

Kevin Everett's doctor says he could walk again "in weeks" with any luck. That is excellent news. Had Mr. Everett had this kind of injury years ago he wouldn't be so lucky. Maybe now the NFL will use some of their mega millions to help out former players?

That all being said here are the games and my picks for week 3:

Bills @ Patriots
49ers @ Steelers
Dolphins @ Jets
Lions @ Eagles
Vikings @ Chiefs
Cardinals @ Ravens
Chargers @ Packers
Colts @ Texans
Rams @ Buccaneers
Jaguars @ Broncos
Browns @ Raiders
Bengals @ Seahawks
Panthers @ Falcons
Giants @ Redskins
Cowboys @ Bears
Titans @ Saints
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

So right after Jose Mourinho-less Chelsea plays United, Buffalo vs. New England. I've got thesis work to do, so sleeping until 4 is out of the question. What a debacle this is going to be.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Elfdart wrote:From what I saw, McNabb has a fucked up right leg and is trying to throw off the left one. Since he's right-handed... SURPRISE! -his passes are floating on him and are inaccurate to boot. Solution: McNabb sits unless and until his leg is in good enough condition for him to do his job. Andy Reid has a decision to make, now doesn't he?
Ehm... did you goof your sides up here? I sure know that if I'm throwing with my right hand, it's going to be off of my left foot.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'm going to give picking my favorites another shot.

Buffalo at New England
San Francisco at Pittsburgh
Miami at New York Jets
Detroit at Philadelphia
Minnesota at Kansas City- tie
Arizona at Baltimore
San Diego at Green Bay
Indianapolis at Houston
St. Louis at Tampa Bay
Jacksonville at Denver
Cleveland at Oakland
Cincinnatti at Seattle
Carolina at Atlanta
New York Giants at Washington
Tennessee at New Orleans
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Howedar wrote:
Elfdart wrote:From what I saw, McNabb has a fucked up right leg and is trying to throw off the left one. Since he's right-handed... SURPRISE! -his passes are floating on him and are inaccurate to boot. Solution: McNabb sits unless and until his leg is in good enough condition for him to do his job. Andy Reid has a decision to make, now doesn't he?
Ehm... did you goof your sides up here? I sure know that if I'm throwing with my right hand, it's going to be off of my left foot.
He's not getting the plant with his right foot to drive the ball forward. A right-handed throw involves shifting weight from the back leg (right) to the front leg (left) to push the ball forward with the entire body. He's starting with more weight to his left leg, and instead of driving through the motion, the passes are floating off a weak shift. His passes won't improve unless and until the knee heals and he's confident in it. The receiving corps isn't used to handling bump coverage; against the zone they're a threat, but not man bump. Reggie Brown looked like a freakin' genius when Garcia was throwing to him. Baskett averaged 22 yards per catch as a rookie. Why the hell can't McNabb find these guys? I'm thinking we kept the wrong QB.

Westbrook is showing he's a great running back, but I'm wishing they'd throw Hunt in the mix on some downs to beat up the linebacking corps a bit. He might not get great yardage, but he'll wear them down a different way than Westbrook. I'm also amazed how little the tight ends have been involved - all three are hands guys, but they're being used as sixth linemen.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Howedar wrote:
If you're right-handed, you plant and push off (preferably bounce off) with your right foot. Your weight will end up on your left foot as you lean forward.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Week 3
Sunday, September 23

STL @ TB
SD @ GB
MIA @ NYJ
ARI @ BAL
IND @ HOU
DET @ PHI
MIN @ KC
BUF @ NE
SF @ PIT
CLE @ OAK
CIN @ SEA
JAC @ DEN
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ATL
DAL @ CHI

Monday, September 24
TEN @ NO

I don't think I have ever picked this many road winners before.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Qwerty 42 wrote: *snip* list
You aren't picking Dallas @ Chicago?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Elfdart wrote:
Howedar wrote:
If you're right-handed, you plant and push off (preferably bounce off) with your right foot. Your weight will end up on your left foot as you lean forward.
Okay, terminology confusion.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that a QB loses trajectory and velocity if he doesn't lean into the throw, either (the most common reason for passes that are off target). This leads broadcasters to say any QB who didn't plant his feet properly "threw off the back foot" whether they did or not. McNabb doesn't "throw off the back foot" at all, he plants his right foot very gingerly (no doubt due to injury) and tries to make up for it with arm strength and his back, instead of bouncing off his right foot and leaning onto the left -the proper technique for throwing accurately.

Here's an example:

You'll notice he has planted his right foot and is about rock back, then lunge forward to throw. This is a must on almost all passes, and especially deep ones. McNabb's right leg was kept almost perpendicular to the ground Monday night. If he's still doing that this weekend, the coach should give him the hook.

My predictions:

Buccaneers
Chargers
Ravens
Jets
Colts
Eagles (why I picked them I can't explain)
Vikings
Patriots
Steelers
Raitards
Bengals
Donkeys
Redskins
Panthers
Bears (Grossman is due for his usual once-a-month "don't bench my sorry ass just yet!" performance)
Saints

The only logic behind most of these picks is that the team is either at home, clearly superior, or too good IMO to suck hard enough to lose three in a row (yes Saints, this means YOU!). I am braced for a severe kick in the ass this weekend.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm still fucking pissed off that I had to miss the Bucs win last week because the NFL is licking Direct TV's pussy.

And seriousely, Raitards? That's just lame. What about Raidurrs?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Flagg wrote:I'm still fucking pissed off that I had to miss the Bucs win last week because the NFL is licking Direct TV's pussy.

Charger fans have been calling the Raiders the Raitards (or the Faders) for decades, just as the Brocos are known as the Donkeys.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:
Flagg wrote:I'm still fucking pissed off that I had to miss the Bucs win last week because the NFL is licking Direct TV's pussy.

Charger fans have been calling the Raiders the Raitards (or the Faders) for decades, just as the Brocos are known as the Donkeys.
I dunno that Chargers fans need to be calling anyone retards after the shit the team pulled with their coach last year. :P
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Getting rid of a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game since Clinton's first term (and is 5-13 lifetime in big games, and whose name is synonymous with CHOKE!) is a bad move? Since when?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:Getting rid of a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game since Clinton's first term (and is 5-13 lifetime in big games, and whose name is synonymous with CHOKE!) is a bad move? Since when?
He didn't get a single playoff win? Hrmm, must be thinking of someone else.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

His last playoff win was with the Chiefs more than a decade ago, and they choked hard in the very next game. He had the most talented team in the NFL for three years, lost both home playoff games and missed the playoffs entirely two years ago because of his habit of choking under pressure. I do not miss Chokenheimer.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Elfdart wrote:Getting rid of a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game since Clinton's first term (and is 5-13 lifetime in big games, and whose name is synonymous with CHOKE!) is a bad move? Since when?
I think it's the way that they got rid of him (and replaced him with NORV TURNER) that's teh cause for criticism, not the fact that they got rid of him.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Paul Posluzny has broken his forearm.

There are also reports of a pretty scary injury to Cedric Wilkins (?) of the Houston Texans.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Cardinals looked much better on offense with Kurt Warner in than they did with Matt Leinart playing. They came very close to pulling out a win against the Ravens with Warner running the offense. The Ravens had to pull out the win with last second field goal.

It's nice to see that the Cards appear to have some semblance of a rushing game this year.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

havokeff wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote: *snip* list
You aren't picking Dallas @ Chicago?
Missed it somehow, thanks.

Dallas at Chicago
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him