Armored Train

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Armored Train

Post by Marko Dash »

I thought I'd already posted this but it seems like it didn't go through

I'm trying my hand at making a few railway cars, I may end up making enough for a whole train.

first, the base for all the cars
The first car done, two heavy turrets 4-6 inch, two quad 40 mm turrets, and 6 HMG casements.
An artillery gun car, one 12-16inch gun, may redo this one later.

other cars planed.
troop sleeper
transport flatbed
ammo car
ammo car for artillery car
machine gun car
anti-air car
Loco (still not sure if I should do it a diesel or steam).
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Are these supposed to be high or low poly models? If they´re high poly you need to put in more detail. If they´re lowpoly the wheels have too many segments.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

most of them are low ploy, around 3-15 thousand ploys, the mixed load ammo car is taking forever to render with it coming in at around 170 thousand ploys.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

For the Engine go with diesel as it is much harder to knock out of action and gets more horsepower for the same size.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Marko Dash wrote:most of them are low ploy, around 3-15 thousand ploys, the mixed load ammo car is taking forever to render with it coming in at around 170 thousand ploys.
Damn. Where are you using that many polys? These objects could be done with probably around 2000 polys. I guess the high poly count comes from all the round objects like the turrets and the wheels.
Like said before, i´d put in more detail if it´s going to be a high poly object.
If it´s going ot be a low poly object for some real time rendering engine you got to reduce the segments in the round parts and simulate detail with textures.
Could you post a shaded wire?
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i could have it render in wire frame but i can't reduce segments, just parts, i added the program to the sticky thread if you want to try it. the ammo car is so high because is has stacks of HE shells, some ammo crates and a forest of rockets. i might just make bigger boxes for the HE and rockets to lower the polys, but all that exposed ammo looks cool.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

this is the car that was taking so long, now that this is done the others should be coming soon

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks good so far. What about colors? (Having everything be gray is kind of boring.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i could, but what color do you make a rolling slab of armor? i was thinking of adding a few rust textures but decided against it
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Camouflage fool1
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

completely forgot about camo, maybe a slight urban with some light bump-mapping.

one of the cars i haven't posted yet, the light anti-air car, basically as many quad 40s as i could stick on while giving them rotating room. the heavy anti-air/guncar comes on the same frame but mounts DP cannons.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

That doesn´t look much like a camo pattern.
It looks very much like the mapping is off. But you don´t necessarily need to uv map it (at least not for the camo pattern) since camo pattern can very easily be done procedurally.
Try making a noise map and then put two more noise maps into the map slots of the first one. Then play with the size, the colors and the noise threshold.
Also, if you want it to look like steal you will have to create some sort of specular map.
Also small signs and labels and perhaps some rivets and stuff like that is generally good on industrial and military objects.
Some visible wear and tear would be great as well but first i´d see to that i´d get that camo pattern working properly.