NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Fanboy wrote: That all being said here are the games and my picks for week 3:
Bills @ Patriots
Easiest pick of the week.
49ers @ Steelers
As much as it killed me to make this pick it turned out to be correct, Alex Smith reverted to the same shaky QB he has been in the past and other than a strong opening drive the offense did little throughout the game save for one garbage time touchdown.
Dolphins @ Jets
Hey! All righty! The Jets managed not to screw this up despite apparently wanting to do so.
Lions @ Eagles
Wow, where did I go wrong here? Oh yeah, the Eagle's offense showed up in force for the first time in over two years and Westbrook wasn't forced to carry the load on his own. Eagles still let the Lions put up a lot of points but they took a page out of the Browns' book from last week. If the other team scores fifty, then you have to score fifty one. It was much more lopsided than that though, and showed the Lions have a lot of work if they are going to get Kitna's ten wins.
Vikings @ Chiefs
Not an impressive win. The Chiefs showed they can win a game against a team that chokes when it counts. But hey, I still get to say I called it.
Cardinals @ Ravens
I like that I got the win but I really liked seeing Billick sweating on the sideline when Kurt Warner started throwing TDs.
Chargers @ Packers
Time to face the facts. The Chargers' defense is not as good as it was last year, and not only that but they fueled the hype for the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.
Colts @ Texans
Would have been nice to see Houston finally win consistently since Warren Moon was taking the snaps, but I like picking games right much more ;-)! Not unlike San Diego, Indy is also going to be hard pressed to win big games with this Defense. But unlike the Chargers, they aren't choking their games away.
Rams @ Buccaneers
I can't believe I was torn between these two teams. Tampa is a more complete team and the Rams aren't doing more than trying to Stephen Jackson their way to 8 wins this year. Not going to happen St. Louis.

7-2 so far today but the later games aren't being as nice to me. Although Cleveland has made a nice little comeback and the Bengals are hanging in there with that Safety they turned.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Browns set up a damn good 1 minute drive to get into field goal range, down by 2 with 3 seconds left. Snap is back, kick is up and good, oh shit, the fucking Raiders called a timeout! Try again. Snap is back, kick is fucking blocked!!! Fuck. Raiders break an 11 game losing streak, and the Browns have not won 2 straight games in 4 years. Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

And my fantasy team is currently sucking donkey balls.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Dark Flame wrote:GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Browns set up a damn good 1 minute drive to get into field goal range, down by 2 with 3 seconds left. Snap is back, kick is up and good, oh shit, the fucking Raiders called a timeout! Try again. Snap is back, kick is fucking blocked!!! Fuck. Raiders break an 11 game losing streak, and the Browns have not won 2 straight games in 4 years. Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

And my fantasy team is currently sucking donkey balls.
Isn't that the second time something like that has happened this season?
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I just watched the Eagles-Lions highlights on NFL.com.....

:shock:

Detroit needs some new safeties, because Kevin Curtis was at least eight yards behind them on his third TD catch. He didn't need to be White Lightning on that one - he was so wide open they had to zoom out to get a silver uniform in the picture. 132 yards in the first quarter for KC.

I'd like to get an early nomination in and put Brian Westbrook up for Offensive Player of the Year. He made Detroit look bad. His first touchdown, only one guy even touches him, and after he misses two others are taken out by the flailing safety. The second touchdown he slams through a linebacker and gets across the line before fumbling. Westbrook's third TD I had to watch twice before I realized his knee didn't go down breaking the first tackle. Between Westbrook's slipperiness and a pair of blockers, he evaded one tackler and had six others neutralized either througn blocking or the defenders not having a clue what move he would do.

I also must apologize to Donovan McNabb - after weeks with QB ratings of 60.7 and 74.5, this week he had a perfect 158.3 rating. 80.8% completion percentage, for a 14.7 YPA average.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I take it Kevin Curtis really, really digs the colors yellow and blue.

http://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery? ... 5d80296a21 is today's game.

Also, a lot of Eagles fans were complaining about the throwback jersey visible in the link. Then the Eagles put up 56 points wearing it. Complaints, I'd imagine, evaporated in a hurry.

EDIT: If they put up 56 a game every game wearing them, they should make the argument that the yellow jerseys are white because the numbers are darker than the background so they can wear them every game.

Either way, the yellow

Looks better than their black alternate.

They should keep the throwbacks.
Last edited by Qwerty 42 on 2007-09-23 08:50pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
Yup. Just last week the Broncos did the exact same thing to the Raiders, except without the blocked FG. In that game Janikowski just missed the second attempt.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Apparently the Bears have had 40 quarterbacks in the last 47 years. With that kind of rate of change, it's a wonder Grossman has actually stuck around this long. I can understand wanting to buck that pattern and actually wanting to try sticking with a quarterback for more than a year, but is Grossman really the guy to execute that change with? The guy tanked a Super Bowl. Not just lost, he tanked it. It's not a matter of experience; he just snapped under the pressure. I don't know what they're trying to dig up from inside the guy.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Time to face the facts. The Chargers' defense is not as good as it was last year,
Definitely. Losing 3 starters to include Donney Edwards and Carlos Polk looks like it hurt a lot more than I thought it should. (the other was our... strong safety? forget the name)
and not only that but they fueled the hype for the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.
Give Rivers some credit, he threw 3 TD's and only 1 (late!) INT this game. The passing game finally got in some sort of a groove but LT still can't find a running lane or is tripped up a lot.

This is my impression based off highlights and stats; the game wasn't televised here in rural fuckland Kansas. It'll be next week certainly, since it's the Chargers v KC.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Durandal wrote:Apparently the Bears have had 40 quarterbacks in the last 47 years. With that kind of rate of change, it's a wonder Grossman has actually stuck around this long. I can understand wanting to buck that pattern and actually wanting to try sticking with a quarterback for more than a year, but is Grossman really the guy to execute that change with? The guy tanked a Super Bowl. Not just lost, he tanked it. It's not a matter of experience; he just snapped under the pressure. I don't know what they're trying to dig up from inside the guy.
I don't get why the Bears are sticking with Grossman. Sure, last year he got on a bit of a roll but he hasn't been worth a shit since he started screwing the pooch last season.

I just can't help thinking that they'd do better with Griese or Orton. For that matter I was under the impression that Orton played pretty well the year before last and was kind of surprised that the Bears just went right back to Grossman.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Still, should the Chargers have fired their coach from last year?

I realize he had picked up a well earned reputation about not being able to win playoff games but had he done that enough in San Diego to warrant getting the boot, or was he getting more heat because of his record in the playoffs with other teams?

I did hear that he and the owner had a few arguments so maybe that was enough to put him over the top.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Dark Flame wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:
Yup. Just last week the Broncos did the exact same thing to the Raiders, except without the blocked FG. In that game Janikowski just missed the second attempt.
That kind of chickenshit deserves a 15-yard penalty, with the kicking team getting the ball placed on the hashmark of their choice.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Tsyroc wrote:Still, should the Chargers have fired their coach from last year?

I realize he had picked up a well earned reputation about not being able to win playoff games but had he done that enough in San Diego to warrant getting the boot, or was he getting more heat because of his record in the playoffs with other teams?

I did hear that he and the owner had a few arguments so maybe that was enough to put him over the top.
Chokenheimer had to go. I'm not terribly miffed that Philips and Cameron went, too. What did make the team worse was getting rid of Edwards and Polk at ILB, and not doing something about the secondary. Over at the San Diego Union-Tribune's website they've earned a nickname. Instead of the "Cover Two" it's the "Cover Who?". Another problem is lack of veteran players, and it shows. This team is very immature.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

SPC Brungardt wrote:snip
No man, I was talking about Brett Favre. I like Rivers and I think he's going to keep getting better.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
No man, I was talking about Brett Favre. I like Rivers and I think he's going to keep getting better.
Favre has looked pretty good so far this season but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and Favre will have one of his mega interception games because he's trying to force the ball everywhere.

I already saw signs of that this week. One of his passes that went for a touchdown he threw while leaning back on his back foot and basically strong arming the ball. It went through or very near three defenders as it was threaded to the reciever who broke away and scored. That stuff is great when it's working but it very easilly could have been a "what the fuck was Favre thinking?" type of pass.

So far the Packers have no running game and they didn't even really try this last weekend so at some point that's going to bite them in the ass and Favre is going to go down slinging interceptions trying to win it all himself.

They'll also be fucked if Donald Driver gets hurt at all. He's basically their main weapon.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Rivers completed every pass he threw until midway through the 3rd quarter -15 straight! There's nothing wrong with him. The problem is a grabasstic defense that plays too much zone and compounds that by not tackling.
:banghead:

Too bad Turner didn't bring in Dave Wannstedt to coach the kind of press defense he did in Miami with Surtain and Madison.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Tsyroc wrote:Still, should the Chargers have fired their coach from last year?

well now they can't win regular season games, so that worked out well. Fuck San Diego. Tomlinson is a whiny little bitch whom i cant wait to watch meltdown upon his realization that an 8-8 season is at hand.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart wrote: Rivers completed every pass he threw until midway through the 3rd quarter -15 straight! There's nothing wrong with him.
You're preaching to the choir. Rivers has definitely made me a believer, I thought the Chargers were dumb for going with him over Brees and I definitely ate some crow over that. I think he's going to continue to improve however, to the point where he could succeed without LT (although the Chargers would be dumb for splitting up that combination).

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Elfdart wrote: Too bad Turner didn't bring in Dave Wannstedt to coach the kind of press defense he did in Miami with Surtain and Madison.
I think Wannstedt is currently occupied putting the finishing touches on Pitt. :)

It's hard to believe that school ever won a national championship, or was ever decent enough to give Penn State a good game.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Col. Crackpot wrote: well now they can't win regular season games, so that worked out well. Fuck San Diego. Tomlinson is a whiny little bitch whom i cant wait to watch meltdown upon his realization that an 8-8 season is at hand.
I'm a shameless Charger fanwhore, but I'm sick of Tomlinson's whining. Running backs who average just over 2 yards a carry need to shut the fuck up on the sidelines.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

So as I knew but refused to beleive for a bit the Redskins will to continue to take every opportunity to choke big. Seriously 17-3 at half means you lose 24-17 and can't even move two yards in three plays with all the time in the world at the end?
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Geez. What in the world is wrong with New Orleans, this year? I thought they over-achieved last year, but this is astounding. Brees through four picks today, and they got blown out, again.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Rivers is starting in my fantasy league next week. Brees can go fuck himself. RIDE THE PINE ASSHOLE!

I needed him to get 1 less interception, but no. Fucking asshole threw 4 instead of 3.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

The son of a bitch thoroughly fucked my fantasy team over. And he's not even on my fantasy team! By failing to complete several passes to both Reggie Bush and Marques Colston (whom I both have playing) I manage to lose this week by less than 3 points.

If fucking Drew Brees could hold on to the damn ball and maybe, I don't know, put together a DRIVE...... :roll:

Also, apparently Terrence McGee and Zack Thomas became injured before scoring a single collective point today. So because of their ineptitude, Brees's chokefest, and me sitting Witten and Barber because I predicted my other 2 Dallas players (Owens and Romo, bah!) to do better, I lose by a measly 2.45 Fantasy Points!

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You Chargers fans are dumb if you think that loosing both coordinators and your head coach that late in the off season isn't having a negative effect on your team. Especially Wade Phillips. It's not just missing Donnie Edwards. It's the way that Ted Cottrell gets the players ready and calls the D. He is not as good as Phillips.
The same probably goes for the offense. What is it that you can't do this year? Run the ball. What did you have last year? Marty Ball.
The way I see it Norv Turner's offense mixed with Marty Ball and tempered with Cam Cameron's play calling, which Marty gave over to Cam last year, is the perfect offense for your team. While you have Turner back, Cam isn't calling the plays anymore, and like I said in a previous post, without Marty, you are missing "The Gleam".

As for Brett Farve being over rated? Please explain that Fanboy. 8 Pro Bowls. 6 Time All-Pro. 150 and counting, carer wins. 420 carer touchdowns and counting. 3 time MVP. Twice to the Super Bowl with one win and his loss was to John Elway who had been trying to win it for 15 years, who was a 1st ballot Hall Of Famer, and who Farve is statistically on par with.

The Niners beating, while frustrating, was expected. Nobody thought that they were on par with the Steelers, who are probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the AFC, and the AFC as a whole is miles ahead of the NFC.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The problem with the Chargers' offense is that they don't have last year's starting wideouts (McCardell retired and Parker is injured). With a rookie starting on one side and a guy who started maybe a half dozen games on the other, the only real threat in Antonio Gates. So teams double him (and he still beats them) and send the other nine defenders into the box to stop Tomlinson. The game against Green Bay saw Tomlinson mostly shut down, but Rivers threw three TDs, which leads me to believe that they are pulling out of the mess on offense.

The defense is a different matter. The corners are better suited for press or bump & run coverage, not sitting in soft zones, which is what Philips AND Cottrell had them doing. The lack of safeties, ILBS and pass rush between the guards means QBs have all day to pick apart a soft zone. Brett Favre can be in the middle of a Vicodin bender and Tom Brady could be in the middle of impregnating another Victoria's Secret model and they'd still tear that up.