Zeppelin VS Metallica

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

More talented

Zed Zeppelin
82%
Metallica
9%
Blink 182 FTW
9%

Total votes: 55

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Metal-who?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Zep kicks ass. Metallica's overrated. Having seen video of Zeppelin in concert, I can say that they are virtuoso. I have yet to see any video to make me think the same of Metallica.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Zep by far. I liked the thrash of the first 5 of Metallica's albums. But Led Zeppelin just takes you to another world. I grew up listening to my dad's music and that just set the pace for me. Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream, and the list goes on.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Zep kicks ass. Metallica's overrated. Having seen video of Zeppelin in concert, I can say that they are virtuoso. I have yet to see any video to make me think the same of Metallica.
My dad has seen Hendrix and Zeppelin live at Madison Square Gardens. My jaw almost hit the floor when he first told me this. I wish I could go back in time and enjoy something like that. Today's music seems to lack the same soul.
d(-_-)b
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Zep. Even if I didn't like them.

Jimmy Page was a sloppy-ass guitarist; he could barely play some of his own riffs :lol: yet he was innovative, and brought a unique perspective to blues-rock guitar. And the rest of the band, yeah, awesome. All of the same innovation, but with the technical ability to pull it off nicely :)

Metallica rocks too, but they're a one-trick pony. They do that trick fairly well, but that's all they have. And they have no sense of dynamics beyond soft and loud. Nonetheless, an influential band that shaped metal for years to come.

Technically, Metallica's riffs are easy to play, once you get your wrist limber enough to shread (for practice, learn the riffs straight picking. Once you get that down, go back to double picking and you'll be amazed how fast you play. Not much value beyond guitar masturbation, but fun just the same). I liked using a b-bender in metal, too. I just wish he had learned to use it as a tool, not a gimmick. Sigh.

A lot of Zep's riffs otoh, can be quite technically challenging and lots of oddball jazz chords, a good learning experience.

I'm sure Blink182 was included as a joke, but their drummer (Travis Barker iirc) is pretty awesome. Same lack of dynamics, but another one-trick pony that does that one trick really well.

edit: this post is a jumble of stream of consciousness, boo, but I don't have time to rewrite it properly.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Lt. Dan wrote:Today's music seems to lack the same soul.
Quoting Bob Seger lyrics in a Zep thread. I like it :)
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

How can you even settle this utterly subjective claim? Zeppelin and Metallica came at two separate times from different backgrounds and were trying to accomplish different things with their music. Why waste time comparing them?
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Saurencaerthai wrote:How can you even settle this utterly subjective claim? Zeppelin and Metallica came at two separate times from different backgrounds and were trying to accomplish different things with their music. Why waste time comparing them?
because apples are so crisp and oranges are so sweet and juicy

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

It's almost as dumb as comparing Star Wars and Star Trek :P :D
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Saurencaerthai wrote:How can you even settle this utterly subjective claim? Zeppelin and Metallica came at two separate times from different backgrounds and were trying to accomplish different things with their music. Why waste time comparing them?
What exactly were they trying to accomplish? World peace? World destruction?:wink:
If they were two separate genres of music, then yes comparing the two would be silly, however they are both rock and roll bands, both diverging into sub genres. They both have a singer, two guitarists, a bass player and a drummer.
Also it's not a comparison of the music, but of the talent in the two bands which is definitely comparable. Not apples vs oranges. Apples vs apples.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

havokeff wrote:They both have a singer, two guitarists, a bass player and a drummer.
What? When did Zep have two guitarists?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The Spartan wrote:
havokeff wrote:They both have a singer, two guitarists, a bass player and a drummer.
Jimmy Page, motherfucker.

To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Okay, when did Zep have two guitarists that weren't named Jimmy Page?

Smartass. :wink:
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

No, they never did. Plant played guitar during their induction to the rock and roll hall of fame, but that hardly counts.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

havokeff wrote: If they were two separate genres of music, then yes comparing the two would be silly, however they are both rock and roll bands
Metallica, at least with their first 4 albums are thrash metal. Their 5th album, while not thrash, would still be considered heavy metal. Zep is considered classic rock which I think is pretty damn different from the former.
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

... What? Some of these posts are weird. The poll is based on who you feel is the most talented group, right? Apples and oranges nothing. They're both fruit and Zeppelin and Metallica are both music groups. It's Led Zeppelin versus Metallica in music, not Led Zeppelin versus Tropicana Orange Juice (Yeah, ok, I just scanned my room looking for something there) in PC specs (Ditto).

If the question was "Which group was best at thrash metal?" all this genre and sub-genre nitpicking might have a point as, you know, one of the groups never dabbled in that area. Oh no, polls like this draw on a person's subjective opinion to come to a statement regarding their opinion on two comparable choices in a generalised area (metal) of a particular subject (music), this cannot stand. :roll:

As for what's the point. It's a poll which serves to gather user opinion with posts being made to reaffirm and possibly extrapolate individual opinions on the matter. 90% of people who suddenly have some sort of aversion to opinion polls are usually just a bit miffed their choice is getting clobbered.

Oh, uh, I voted Zeppelin.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dalton wrote:
The Spartan wrote:
Jimmy Page, motherfucker.

:D I second that! I did remember Plant playing guitar though. Mistaken?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

1. Dalton, if that was remotely siggable, that would be mine forever.

2. I was wondering about Robert Plant playing guitar too, and found this:
Expert: Chris M. Zangara
Date: 2/12/2006
Subject: Robert Plant instrumental skills

Question
Hello,
I have heard that Robert Plant played guitar or bass on a few Led Zeppelin songs. If this is true do you know which songs he played on?
Also, I read that he played the flute during one of his solo tours in the later 1980's. Can you confirm this?
Thanks,
Bill

Answer

Hi Bill,

Beyond the rumors that pop up from time to time, the only substantiated instances of Plant playing guitar with Zeppelin come right from the singers mouth, no pun intended.

Although many people think he played some guitar on Led Zeppelin III, he admits that is just not the case, but he was hoping to play the guitar on stage while performing some of those LZIII acoustical moments. That, of course, never happened. The guitar duties on stage were left to Page and John Paul Jones.

Robert DID however play the background rhythm chords to Led Zeppelin IV's recording "Battle Of Evermore."

After Zeppelin, in the early 90's mostly, Robert got more into guitar playing. He played the electric guitar on stage during some solo performances and even picked up the guitar and played with a reformed "Led Zeppelin" (Page, Jones & Jason Bonham) in 1995 during the final jam session of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony shortly after Zeppelin were inducted into the Rock&Roll Hall Of Fame. A smiling Jimmy Page can be seen as Robert plays a few wild solo's.

Plant also played the lead guitar solo to the remake of "Louie Louie" from the Wayne's World 2" film soundtrack, as well as performing the song vocally.

But Plant freely admits, "..the trouble is I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's very difficult to play guitar and then sing at the same time. I've got to work that one out. I've only got thirty years left, so maybe I'll get it right!"

Hope this helped!

Chris.
link