NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

How 'bout dem Cowboys...3-0 including laying waste to a revered defense in front of a national audience. I'm LOVING our offense! I'm loving the top of the division even more! Although I'm surprised not to still be sharing that top spot; I really thought the Skins would knock NY's teeth down their throats. My condolences, Wilkens.

The only thing that really scares me right now is the shitty coverage from our secondary. They can get INTs like there's no tomorrow but they couldn't break up passes consistently if the receiver was a high school kid with asthma. If that isn't addressed fast, we'll die a horrible death when NE comes to town. In fact, the Cowboys have NEVER beaten Randy Moss. Hell, Oakland even squeaked a win out against us when they had him.
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

The Bills are looking like an absolute hamburger of a team.
JADAFETWA
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Master of Ossus wrote:Geez. What in the world is wrong with New Orleans, this year? I thought they over-achieved last year, but this is astounding. Brees through four picks today, and they got blown out, again.
And this is why I didn't watch the game. I see New Orleans is getting back to the way it was, just more piles of garbage on the streets.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Week 3:

Havokeff (9-7)
Elfdart (9-7)
Qwerty 42 (9-6 w/ one non pick)
Darth Fanboy (8-8, Fuck you Ohio Football teams!)

2007 Season:

Elfdart: (28-19)
Darth Fanboy: (27-20)
Havokeff: (25-22)
Qwerty 42: (16-14)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Col. Crackpot wrote: well now they can't win regular season games, so that worked out well. Fuck San Diego. Tomlinson is a whiny little bitch whom i cant wait to watch meltdown upon his realization that an 8-8 season is at hand.
Where the fuck have you been hiding? You're three weeks late, beeyotch!
:P
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Darth Fanboy (8-8, Fuck you Ohio Football teams!)
Meh, the Browns got fucked over in the ass hardcore. That kind of bullshit should get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and, hell, tack a fine on too! :finger:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Link
Bears reportedly bench Grossman for Griese
Starting quarterback to sit after throwing 3 INTs in loss to Cowboys

SportsTicker
Updated: 2 hours, 58 minutes ago
LOS ANGELES - Brian Griese will replaced the embattled Rex Grossman as starting quarterback for the Chicago Bears, the NFL Network reported Tuesday.

The moves comes as little surprise as the Bears are off to a 1-2 start and Grossman is coming off a wretched performance in Sunday night’s 34-10 home loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

A No. 1 pick out of Florida in 2003, Grossman finished 15-of-32 for a season-high 195 yards with three interceptions against Dallas.

In the three games this season, he is 47-of-89 for 500 yards with one touchdown pass and six interceptions. His quarterback rating is a hideous 45.1.

Grossman has made 19 consecutive regular-season starts, but has been much maligned due to his penchant for turnovers.

Even when the Bears reached the Super Bowl last season, the success was attributed to the defense and special teams.

Grossman finished the season 262-of-480 (54.6 percent) with 23 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. He also lost five fumbles.

Veteran Brian Griese would draw the start for the NFC North matchup in Detroit. Griese has not started since he was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2005.

Last season with the Bears, the 32-year-old Griese saw spot duty in five games, completing 18-of-32 passes for 220 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

In his 10th NFL season, Griese has thrown 104 touchdowns and 80 interceptions in 81 career games with the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay and Chicago.

Bears coach Lovie Smith, was non-committal during Monday’s press conference that Grossman start Sunday.

“Will Rex Grossman start Sunday? Well, our evaluation process is going on right now,” Smith said. “And if you come out to practice Wednesday, you’ll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions.”

Poor Rex. He'll never get to lose another Superbowl for da Bears.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

While I don't think Griese will win a lot of games for the Bears he should lose a lot fewer of them than Grossman's been doing.

Jesus! I didn't realize Grossman was a number one pick. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Kuja wrote:The Bills are looking like an absolute hamburger of a team.
Hey, we're the other Defense that has made the pats go 3 and out this year.

Oi. Yeah that's all we got. And the Jets next week, who haven't forced a turnover or a sack yet this season IIRC. Marshawn is the real thing so far, though with our luck he'll blow an ACL or break his leg walking back to the huddle.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Tsyroc wrote:While I don't think Griese will win a lot of games for the Bears he should lose a lot fewer of them than Grossman's been doing.

Jesus! I didn't realize Grossman was a number one pick. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
He won a good number of games at Florida. Grossman wouldn't be the first QB to bomb out after being drafted in the first round and wasn't a bad pick. Akili Smith anyone? Ryan Leaf? Jim Druckenmiller?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:While I don't think Griese will win a lot of games for the Bears he should lose a lot fewer of them than Grossman's been doing.

He won a good number of games at Florida. Grossman wouldn't be the first QB to bomb out after being drafted in the first round and wasn't a bad pick. Akili Smith anyone? Ryan Leaf? Jim Druckenmiller?
Was Drunkenmiller really a bomb or did he rape himself out of the league?

Grossman has only been the starter for one full year. I think he still has tremendous upside.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Druckenmiller had feet so slow he made Jim Everett look like Kurt Warner. It look him a good three seconds to make a 3-step drop (good QBs do it in half that time). His release was slow as hell, too. If the NFL played One Mississippi Pass Rush he might have had a career.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Heh...Ryan Leaf.
I remember the 1998 draft when some 'experts' were saying the Colts screwed up in choosing Peyton Manning over Leaf.

Now just how many championships and NFL records did Leaf win? :P
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Dark Flame wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:
Isn't that the second time something like that has happened this season?
Yup. Just last week the Broncos did the exact same thing to the Raiders, except without the blocked FG. In that game Janikowski just missed the second attempt.
On the same subject, something similar happened for Titans at Saints, where a timeout was called just at the snap for a punt. Not quite the same, though.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Prediction time, once again by which teams I like more!

New York Jets at Buffalo
Baltimore at Cleveland
St. Louis at Dallas
Chicago at Detroit
Oakland at Miami
Houston at Atlanta - a tough decision, but I don't think the Falcons did anything wrong in the Vick situation.
Green Bay at Minnesota
Seattle at San Francisco
Tampa Bay at Carolina
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Denver at Indianapolis
Kansas City at San Diego
Philadelphia at New York Giants
New England at Cincinnati- As bad as the New England scandal was, it doesn't come close to what the Bengals players have done.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

New York Jets at Buffalo
Baltimore at Cleveland
St. Louis] at Dallas
Chicago at Detroit
Oakland at Miami
Houston at Atlanta
Green Bay at Minnesota
Seattle at San Francisco
Tampa Bay at Carolina
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Denver at Indianapolis
Kansas City at San Diego
New England at Cincinnati

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

You're both dumb for picking the dolphins. :D
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chardok wrote:You're both dumb for picking the dolphins. :D
I will never ever under any circumstance pick the Raiders this season unless they somehow get matched up against Notre Dame.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
I will never ever under any circumstance pick the Raiders this season unless they somehow get matched up against Notre Dame.
Heh. I'd take Notre Dame. :wink:

Seriously though...

Oakland @ Miami
Green Bay @ Minnesota
Houston @ Atlanta
N.Y. Jets @ Buffalo
Baltimore @ Cleveland
St. Louis @ Dallas
Chicago @ Detroit
Seattle @ San Francisco
Tampa Bay @ Carolina
Pittsburgh @ Arizona
Kansas City @ San Diego
Denver @ Indianapolis
Philadelphia @ N.Y Giants
New England @ Cincinnati

Edit: Changed my Bears Lions pick to the Lions at home. Dumb, I know.
Last edited by Havok on 2007-09-29 03:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

New York Jets at Buffalo
Baltimore at Cleveland
St. Louis at Dallas
Chicago at Detroit
Oakland at Miami
Houston at Atlanta
Green Bay at Minnesota
Seattle at San Francisco
Tampa Bay at Carolina
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Denver at Indianapolis
Kansas City at San Diego
New England at Cincinnati

edit: And I just noticed I'm picking 10 away teams and 4 home teams. Shows how much I believe in home field advantage :P
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Bailing on the Dolphins already? You should at least wait until after they play in London. Where was I?

Oh, right. This week's winners:

Dolphins
Texans
Vikings
49ers
Panthers
Steelers
Colts
Eagles
Patriots
Chargers
Jets
Ravens
Cowboys
Bears
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Elfdart wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote: well now they can't win regular season games, so that worked out well. Fuck San Diego. Tomlinson is a whiny little bitch whom i cant wait to watch meltdown upon his realization that an 8-8 season is at hand.
Where the fuck have you been hiding? You're three weeks late, beeyotch!
:P
2 kids, a bank to run and a mortgage to pay. Thats where I've been. I'm happy if i even get to watch the Pats, never mind gloat about them on t3h inter-web.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Not that i want to push you any closer to the edge, but I'd start to worry about the '72 dolphins at this point. :-)

what up bitch? :P
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Go Browns! 27-13 win over Baltimore puts us at 2-1 in the division and 2-2 overall. Woot! :P
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Dark Flame wrote:Go Browns! 27-13 win over Baltimore puts us at 2-1 in the division and 2-2 overall. Woot! :P
It also moves them ahead of the Chargers, thanks to the Charger's incredibly inept performance against KC.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."