NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Today is a day of crazy things happening, apparently. The upsets, as I see them, are:
Detroit
Cleveland
Atlanta
Oakland
Arizona
Kansas City

I did not see most of these happening. :?
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Boy does my asshole feel wider... :oops: Okay, the Chargers themed sig / av gots to go now! :D I'll be in testingstan. (I'm not jumping on another team's bandwagoning, rather, just not advertising my team's suckholitude)

edit: can I get a D -- D! Can I get a fence -- no! :banghead: 24 unanswered points in the 2nd half. I'm starting to second guess Marty's ouster now. Oh well, 30 minutes of well played football's better than none I guess. :)
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Told ya you fuckers were stupid for picking the dolphins. we lost in EPIC fashion. Even Chitty couldn't lose so awesomely. (psych)
Revan's Fire
Youngling

Post by Revan's Fire »

Yeah Steelers! We kick ass.....
Oh, wait.

So let me get this straight, we lose Ward, and then Polamalu? That's not right.
"If there's one thing I hate, it's voluptuous whores!"

"I am Advanced Recon Commando A-17, Republic Army, under the command of General Obi-Wan Kenobi. That is all I am authorized to reveal."-Clone Wars Volume 5, Dark Horse Comics
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Osi Umenyiora currently has 5 sacks. If he gets two more sacks he ties the record.

The rest of the Giants have chipped in with an astounding 6 more sacks.

Poor Donovan McNabb. And he made the Lions look so easy.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Master of Ossus wrote:Osi Umenyiora currently has 5 sacks. If he gets two more sacks he ties the record.

The rest of the Giants have chipped in with an astounding 6 more sacks.

Poor Donovan McNabb. And he made the Lions look so easy.
Maybe McNabb, Charlie Frye, and David Carr can all commiserate together about how hard it is to play a football game from your back. BWAHAHAHA!!! :twisted:

The Giants win and finish the game with 12 total sacks and a resounding defensive performance.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

both were impressive, defensively. The Eagles D gave up just ten points of their own despite being consistently screwed over by one-minute offensive drives. Admittedly, there was a fluke field goal.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

And the Bills have lost another Linebacker for the season. That's three for those that have been keeping track, along with 7 overall on IR, plus two more out for another three weeks.

On a more positive note, somebody forgot to tell us that Mangini "is like the most powerful Jedi ever".
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

To all those who thought even the Jets could beat the Bills...fuck you. :P
JADAFETWA
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Week 4 NFL Picks:

Havokeff (8-6)
The Dark (7-7)
Darth Fanboy (7-7)
Qwerty (7-7)
Elfdart (3-11)

Season Standings:

Darth Fanboy: (34-27)
Havokeff: (33-28)
Elfdart: (31-30)
Qwerty 42: (23-21)
The Dark: (7-7)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. The Chargers fucking SUUUUUUUUCK. And not how my Niners suck, but in a we went 12-4 and then 14-2 and are now 1-3 and can't hold a lead on the Chiefs and only give LT the ball 6 times in the second half kinda suck.
So do you think that when they can A.J. Smith and Bore Turner they will hire Schottenheimer back? Maybe New York for Marty Ball?

If the Colts can't beat New England, and they are the only team that can, they are going to go 16-0. What makes me happy about that? The 72 Dolphins and their "cork popping" can go fuck themselves.

I'm glad Trent Edwards of the Buffalo Bills got in and got his first win. For all you not in the know, the kid would have been a high 1st round pick if he had been on even a remotely good team, and not Stanford, in his college years. I think J.P. is pretty much trade bait.

Hey Chardok, I think you might get 0-16 to go along with 17-0. You lost to the Raiders. :twisted: I wanted Joey Porter in the off season, but after making his "guarantee", and backing it up like a Pop Warner player, I'm glad we didn't pick him up.

So Alex Smith may be out 3-4 weeks, or 2 depending on the source. Trent Dilfer knows the play book and how to manage a game, but like Siragusa said during the game Sunday, it takes a while to adjust to the speed of the game, especially if you haven't played in a couple of years. I think that in two weeks Dilfer will be doing well, but Smith will probably be back by then. We need to get some receivers in the off season fer sure though, or else Gore is going to be up against 9 man fronts the rest of his life. The game was utter shit and totally forgettable. They just need to move on to next week and pretend like it didn't happen.

The Lions are 3-1 and on pace to win the 10 games that Jon Kitna guaranteed. Well holy shit.

When when when are teams going to stop kicking to Devon Hester? To my fellow football experts, do you think that it is bad coaching or just a lack of punting accuracy and directional kicking, which seems to be a lost art in favor of hang time and power?

Well, I'm off. I'm going to hop a plane and go try out for line backer for the Bengals. 6'1", 375 and LIGHTNING FAST!!! :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

One thing that has killed teams in going undefeated is the strategy to rest all of their good players when they have home field or a playoff spot locked up and could care less about the last couple of games.

This year, I think the Patriots might have just enough of a chip on their shoulder about the whole video taping signals fiasco that I could see them deciding to go for the undefeated season as an additional "Fuck You!". I'd rather enjoy that if they did. I'm kind of sick of the whole '72 Dolphins thing. Yeah they were undefeated but they were not all that impressive a team. When you think of great teams of the 70s none of the Miami teams come to mind. It's always Stealers, Cowboys, and then maybe the Dolphins but arguments could be made for the Raiders and even the Vikings.

I could also see the Colts or Patriots being so close to each other in record that they both will keep playing through the last game of the regular season to make sure they get that home field advantage.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I see that the Cold Hard Footbal Facts thinks that Arizona should be starting Kurt Warner and just letting him play instead of having him split time with Lineart. Based on their statistics they make a pretty good argument.

I wouldn't mind seeing Warner get a few more shots at having some pro bowl caliber seasons. Hopefully they wouldn't be meltdown seasons, and hopefully it would be motivation for Lineart to work harder and become better instead of getting bent out of shape.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Kuja wrote:To all those who thought even the Jets could beat the Bills...fuck you. :P
*sobs*
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Tsyroc wrote:One thing that has killed teams in going undefeated is the strategy to rest all of their good players when they have home field or a playoff spot locked up and could care less about the last couple of games.

This year, I think the Patriots might have just enough of a chip on their shoulder about the whole video taping signals fiasco that I could see them deciding to go for the undefeated season as an additional "Fuck You!". I'd rather enjoy that if they did. I'm kind of sick of the whole '72 Dolphins thing. Yeah they were undefeated but they were not all that impressive a team. When you think of great teams of the 70s none of the Miami teams come to mind. It's always Stealers, Cowboys, and then maybe the Dolphins but arguments could be made for the Raiders and even the Vikings.

I could also see the Colts or Patriots being so close to each other in record that they both will keep playing through the last game of the regular season to make sure they get that home field advantage.

No name defense. Don't hate on them just because they had ridiculously awesome chemistry as a team, dude. The early 70's dolphins rocked all, and I'm not just saying that as a fanboy. they acutally did, in fact, rawk.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Has any time ever gone 14-0 or whatever and then say "good enough, rest the starters."? There have been times 13-1 teams made that call, but the 19-0 allure is too great for anyone who has a shot at it.

Incidentally, both Dallas and New England play Miami, and historically the Dolphins have not parted quietly with their record. Could be interesting.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Chardok wrote:No name defense. Don't hate on them just because they had ridiculously awesome chemistry as a team, dude. The early 70's dolphins rocked all, and I'm not just saying that as a fanboy. they acutally did, in fact, rawk.
*AHEM* BULLSHIT *AHEM* The reason they were the no name defense was because they played no name offenses. They only beat two teams with winning records and those team were only over .500 by two games IIRC. The '72 Dolphins are the most over hyped "greatest team" in NFL history. The 49ers went 18-1 and won the Super Bowl as did the Bears. Both those teams played more games, won more games and beat quality opponents in their respective Super Bowl years, INCLUDING each other.

The Bears pitched TWO shut outs in their playoff games and only gave up 10 points in the Super Bowl.

The 49ers only allowed 10 points in two playoff games and shut out the same Bears that would win the SB next year. They then DISMANTLED your Dolphins in their last SB appearance, and arguably the greatest QB, at least statistically, in NFL history. Their only loss in their 18-1 season was by 3 points to the Steelers.

The 1972 Dolphins, as stated in this link, had the easiest regular season schedule out of all 80 Super Bowl teams as of SB 40. That includes the 40 losers. They also only won their playoff games by 7 points or fewer. If they played that caliber of opponent all season, the would not have gone undefeated.

To sumarize, the Dolphins in any year, especially this year suck, and I hate their uniforms. :twisted:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If the 72 Dolphins were overrated (weak schedule or not, they still won 'em all), then the 73 team was way underrated. They played a much tougher schedule and dominated the Vikings in the Super Bowl.

For my money, the best team ever was the 1978 Steelers. That squad put 10 players in the Hall of Fame, plus Chuck Noll, the head coach. They were so good that before the season started, the NFL tried to take away one of the Steelers' most effective weapons and instituted the Mel Blount Rule: DBs were no longer allowed to hit receivers after 5 yards. Blount still led the league in picks. The only teams to beat the Steelers that year were the Rams and Oilers -both teams made the conference championships that year and combined they beat the Steelers by 6 points. The Steelers annihilated the Oilers in the rematch during the playoffs, then proceded to kick the shit out of the Cowboys (a team that had won two SBs in its own right, including the previous title game). Don't be fooled by the final score of 35-31. The Steelers were up 35-17 late in the game when the Cowboys got a couple of oh-by-the-way TDs.

The Steelers didn't just beat their opponents; the pummeled them into submission and made them like it.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

3-11! :shock:

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ! :banghead:
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Perhaps you should just flip a coin next week. :P
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Nah, I'm strictly an eenie-meenie-minie-moe kind of dude.

I screwed the pooch balls deep in so many ways this weekend I lost count. The real kicker: In a fantasy league (which I just noticed is nothing more than the jock equivalent of fan fiction) a pal of mine got me to join, I sat Braylon Edwards on the sensible grounds that Kellen Winslow Jr was only 50/50 and the Ravens' defense was too good to let one receiver cut them up. Luckily, there isn't an emoticon of a smiley face jumping off a bridge. This one will have to do:

D'OH!Image
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Chardok wrote: No name defense. Don't hate on them just because they had ridiculously awesome chemistry as a team, dude. The early 70's dolphins rocked all, and I'm not just saying that as a fanboy. they acutally did, in fact, rawk.
I don't hate them. I actually like the Dolphins teams of the early 70s. I just get sick of the crap that comes out every year when some other team might get close to beating their record when it's almost as much of a fluke as it is an impressive accomplishment.

That team deserves to be remembered at least for the three consequtive Super Bowls with two back to back wins more so than one statistical glitch of an undefeted season.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:Nah, I'm strictly an eenie-meenie-minie-moe kind of dude.

I screwed the pooch balls deep in so many ways this weekend I lost count. The real kicker: In a fantasy league (which I just noticed is nothing more than the jock equivalent of fan fiction) a pal of mine got me to join, I sat Braylon Edwards on the sensible grounds that Kellen Winslow Jr was only 50/50 and the Ravens' defense was too good to let one receiver cut them up. Luckily, there isn't an emoticon of a smiley face jumping off a bridge. This one will have to do:

D'OH!Image
What in the blue hell happend to Baltimore's defense? Are they missing Adalius Thomas that much? I mean, you've still got Ray Ray, Terrel Suggs, Samari Rolle and the like...
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

They're old and not as good as everyone makes them out to be. It doesn't help that their shitty offense keeps them on the field all the time.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Elfdart wrote:They're old and not as good as everyone makes them out to be. It doesn't help that their shitty offense keeps them on the field all the time.
Agreed. Lewis is three years off his prime, and as good as Ed Reed still is, he's not the player he once was. Their D-line is also pretty old and lost their back-up DT whom they would rotate in on odd downs to give the other guys a rest.

And their offense is pathetic.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."