NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Eh. 7-7 isn't bad for first week looking at all the games. Seriously, did anyone pick Arizona to beat Pittsburgh? I blame myself for not remembering how much Griese sucks by comparison to anyone but Grossman. I had Atlanta picked as my 0-16 team this year, so I'm disappointed in Houston. I had to go with Philly, although I picked before I knew Westbrook was sitting out. I thought week four would be San Diego's back-to-normal week. Apparently Norv really is that bad. And I thought the Vikings would bulldoze the Packers' non-existent run defense.

I am glad my Oakland pick panned out. My coworkers all thought I was nuts for picking the Raiders to win against anyone :D.

Tomorrow I need to look at my season schedule and the injury reports and figure out who looks good for this week.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Apparently Chad Johnson went off during the game at one or more of his teammates? Anyone who watched the game able to confirm this for me?

Man Cincy is a fucking wreck. Trade Ocho Cinco to Dallas and put him on a team with T.O. and watch the fireworks. Yikes....
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Falkenhayn wrote:What in the blue hell happend to Baltimore's defense? Are they missing Adalius Thomas that much? I mean, you've still got Ray Ray, Terrel Suggs, Samari Rolle and the like...
Actually the problem is you have Lewis, Suggs, Reed, and Rolle...that's it. Baltimore has been good in the past because they constantly shifted the front line formation, came from different angels and attacked with speed not power. Now with Lewis continuing to age, Reed losing a half step and Thomas out the door Suggs is the ONLY fast attack option the defense has. For a system built to confuse and then overwhelm with speed that is a disaster in the making. Sure its a system that any fast and ball-seeking player will be able to perform beyond their means but right now they don't have enough youth and speed to do what the defense is designed for.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Since I don't know if I'll be on before kickoff, I'll make my picks now.

Cleveland at New England- tie
Seattle at Pittsburgh
Carolina at New Orleans
Detroit at Washington
New York Jets at New York Giants
Miami at Houston
Atlanta at Tennessee
Jacksonville at Kansas City
Arizona at St. Louis- only because I really like Warner
Tampa Bay at Indianapolis
San Diego at Denver
Baltimore at San Francisco
Chicago at Green Bay
Dallas at Buffalo
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Apparently Chad Johnson went off during the game at one or more of his teammates? Anyone who watched the game able to confirm this for me?

Man Cincy is a fucking wreck. Trade Ocho Cinco to Dallas and put him on a team with T.O. and watch the fireworks. Yikes....
He started bitching and whining at Carson Palmer. Bad move, because unlike most of the other QBs in the league these days, Palmer won't put up with that kind of thing for long and didn't: he told Johnson to shut the fuck up. Johnson later apologized when not only the Bengals coaches, but his old coach in junior college who called him up and told him the same thing. He fucked up on the pattern that led to the pick.

On top of that, Marvin Lewis (about as mild mannered a coach as you'll see) was overheard yelling at his players:
Marvin Lewis wrote:"If you don't want to be on this team, please don't show up!" Lewis said, yelling so loud that reporters outside could hear. "You don't call the offense, you don't call the plays. You just play.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Also, on the Ravens issue, the problem isn't their rush defense- opponents are averaged a league-low 3 yards a carry. However, when all of the pass attempts against Baltimore are given a passer rating, it comes out to 90.3, which is rarely indicative of success.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Apparently Chad Johnson went off during the game at one or more of his teammates? Anyone who watched the game able to confirm this for me?

He started bitching and whining at Carson Palmer. Bad move, because unlike most of the other QBs in the league these days, Palmer won't put up with that kind of thing for long and didn't: he told Johnson to shut the fuck up. Johnson later apologized when not only the Bengals coaches, but his old coach in junior college who called him up and told him the same thing. He fucked up on the pattern that led to the pick.

On top of that, Marvin Lewis (about as mild mannered a coach as you'll see) was overheard yelling at his players:
Marvin Lewis wrote:"If you don't want to be on this team, please don't show up!" Lewis said, yelling so loud that reporters outside could hear. "You don't call the offense, you don't call the plays. You just play.
Palmer said in his post game or day after interview that it was him that "lost his cool" not Chad, and that Johnson was just responding to CP yelling at him.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Cleveland at New England
Seattle at Pittsburgh
Carolina at New Orleans
Detroit at Washington
Miami at Houston
Atlanta at Tennessee
Arizona at St. Louis
San Diego at Denver
Chicago at Green Bay
Dallas at Buffalo

EDIT: no change

POST FUCKED UP, sorry, accidentallly edited instead of REPLY.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2007-10-08 05:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Since I don't know if I'll be on before kickoff, I'll make my picks now.

seriously?? How many five touchdown games does it take to pick an undefeated team over a .500 team? If i had a time machine I'd love to see what this Pats team could do to the '86 bears or the '72 Dolphins or one of Joe Montana's prime time 49'ers teams.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:Since I don't know if I'll be on before kickoff, I'll make my picks now.

seriously?? How many five touchdown games does it take to pick an undefeated team over a .500 team? If i had a time machine I'd love to see what this Pats team could do to the '86 bears or the '72 Dolphins or one of Joe Montana's prime time 49'ers teams.
I'm picking solely based on which teams I like more. My logic here is that the jerkishness of New England coaching and Cleveland fans will offset each other.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:

I'm picking solely based on which teams I like more. My logic here is that the jerkishness of New England coaching and Cleveland fans will offset each other.
Well I like Wile E. Coyote better than the laws of physics. My logic here is the thickness of your head will offset gravity. So i pick you over the rock chasm. Now jump!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote: seriously?? How many five touchdown games does it take to pick an undefeated team over a .500 team? If i had a time machine I'd love to see what this Pats team could do to the '86 bears or the '72 Dolphins or one of Joe Montana's prime time 49'ers teams.
Well I like Wile E. Coyote better than the laws of physics. My logic here is the thickness of your head will offset gravity. So i pick you over the rock chasm. Now jump!
I've been doing this all season. Ironically, so far it's been working, I have a winning record through week four. It's not my list of "who's going to win" so much as "who I'm rooting for."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Sunday, October 07
CLE @ NE
SEA @ PIT
CAR @ NO
DET @ WAS
NYJ @ NYG
MIA @ HOU
ATL @ TEN
JAC @ KC
ARI @ STL
TB @ IND
SD @ DEN
BAL @ SF
CHI @ GB

Monday, October 08
DAL @ BUF

Byes: Bengals, Vikings, Raiders, Eagles

Ok, some thoughts...
This will be Detroit's test. If they can get a win in the road in Washington, they will be a illegitimate playoff team this year.

Trent Dillfer gets to see if he still really has it against his old team, and the only team to ever to not retain a SB winning QB the next year. The Niner D can keep them in this game as long as Baltimore didn't find an offense on the flight out here.

If the Pack win, they will make the playoffs and the Bears will be done.

This is an absolute must win for the Chargers. If Denver gets this win, SD won't be able to catch them and with the strength of the AFC they will be hard pressed to get a Wild Card berth. That being said, I REALLY want to pick SD, but I just keep seeing Bailey and Bly returning Ints for TDs in my mind.

I can't believe that the "experts" have picked Carolina to be the cream of the NFC crop two years in a row now. That organization must have one hell of a PR machine, 'cause they don't have much of a team.

Sorry Chardok, but Miami stays on the road to 0-16. Maybe you will get a 4th round pick for Ricky Williams if he gets reinstated.

Oh, and Elfdart, you got siged.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

havokeff wrote:If the Pack win, they will make the playoffs and the Bears will be done.

This is an absolute must win for the Chargers. If Denver gets this win, SD won't be able to catch them and with the strength of the AFC they will be hard pressed to get a Wild Card berth. That being said, I REALLY want to pick SD, but I just keep seeing Bailey and Bly returning Ints for TDs in my mind.

I can't believe that the "experts" have picked Carolina to be the cream of the NFC crop two years in a row now. That organization must have one hell of a PR machine, 'cause they don't have much of a team.
I agree completely, especially with your bit about Carolina. Last season, they covered the point spread ONCE. I made SO MUCH money just by betting against them every time. It's great. If DeAngelo Hall hadn't played like a retard and handed them two TD's, it would be working this year, too. As it is, that's my one loss, and even that was looking good until Hall lost his temper.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I'll go with:

Pats
Steelers
Saints
Redskins
Giants
Texans
Jaguars
Titans
Chargers
Cardinals
Colts
Ravens
Bears
Cowboys

Chardok, do you plan on going to London on the 28thfor the game at Wembley? I just think it would be funny as hell if the only game the Dolphins won was played on the other side of the Atlantic.
:lol:
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Cleveland at New England
Seattle at Pittsburgh
Carolina at New Orleans
Detroit at Washington
Miami at Houston
Atlanta at Tennessee
Arizona at St. Louis
San Diego at Denver
Chicago at Green Bay
Dallas at Buffalo
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

God damn Chardok, your fins just can't catch a break. A 57 yard FG and at that the 3rd 50+ in that game for the Texans kicker? :shock:

edit: Kris Brown is the kicker
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

If I'm counting correctly, so far I'm 8-1 this week, but two games aren't going well for my teams, and the last two are scoreless. Damn Lions - I'd be 9-0 right now if they'd shown up to the game.
BattleTech for SilCore
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Holy Hell. Peyton Manning just tossed Dallas Clark a cigarette and a blindfold. He took a blind decleater and went down screaming.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Yet again the Lions prove they can't win in DC. 0-21 isn't just bad its forget the game and take an unofficial bye-week bad. Holy christ 34-3 with both top receivers gone by the end of the first half. Seriously how does Washington get 34 pts when their top receiver is James Thrash (though Cooley at TE is certainly a great target, possibly the best on the Skins, he isn't a WR for the sake of having a #1, #2, etc)
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

At the end of the 3rd quarter, San Diego's up 34-3! About fucking time we put points on the board like last year!

It's so bad CBS changed the game from the above to the San Fran / Baltimore game, lulz.

Now I need to pass out, as I'm drunk already.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Fucking Saints. :roll:
Jeez. Something is seriously wrong with that team.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

About time San Diego layed down a good, old-fashioned assssssssssssss-whoopin! :D
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Best of all, it's a whoopin' dished out to the Donkeys. :twisted: