Horror story challenge proposal

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Horror story challenge proposal

Post by Academia Nut »

Having hit my yearly October writing-blahs, I find myself slamming my head into a rather unpleasant bit of writer's block, along with suffering a general bout of mild ennui.

So I feel that perhaps in order to recharge my batteries a breath of fresh air is required. Looking over at my calendar, I note that there is still the majority of the month left, so I feel why not make a suggestion to the other authors out there that we have a horror fic contest, with the results posted on Halloween.

Unfortunately, I am stumped on anything more than that. I have no idea what sort of structure might be appropriate. So I throw this concept to the wolves and wind, in the hopes that others will be intrigued by this concept and offer suggestions.

Thoughts?
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

How about crossing traditional Halloween monsters with a scifi or fantasy universe? Vampires on Trek, or Zombies on B5.

The Doctor's right out, because they've already done vampires, werewolves, animated corpses, and mummies.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Hmmm... definitely an interesting proposal, and one that has merit. Perhaps an expansion though, whereby the crossover can go either way? As in monsters can go either way so long as they are not 'native' to the setting, and the overall tone is scary (or at least Halloweeny I suppose). So you could have genestealers in Sunnydale, but not zombies on Necromunda because 40k already has Nurgle plague-zombies. Jason Voorheese on the Enterprise-D would probably be some sort of Halloween side story for the UPF guys.

But come now people, don't be shy, if you have an idea, post it. This thread was meant for brainstorming.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Does the story have to be a fanfic or can it future an original plot?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:How about crossing traditional Halloween monsters with a scifi or fantasy universe? Vampires on Trek, or Zombies on B5.
I can picture werewolves being the result of a genetic engineering experiment, and possibly used by the Dominion as a replacement for the Jem'Hadar-- or maybe the Founders can clone the Reavers from 'Blade II'.

As for 'Star Wars'... I imagine the Blood Angels and Space Wolves can fill the role of vampires and werewolves in the 'Star Wars' galaxy, e.g., a Space Marine ship exits the Warp to find itself in the Galactic Empire, Vader makes first contact and proposes an alliance with the Space Marines, and the Space Marines fight the Rebel Alliance in support of their agreement with Vader. If that doesn't seem right for the "good guys" of 'Warhammer 40,000', replace the Space Marines with a group of Chaos Space Marines.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Zixinus wrote:Does the story have to be a fanfic or can it future an original plot?
I think fanfic would be more in the spirit of SDN, but its not my thread. Also, we should probably try and set a word/page limit.
ImageImage
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I fully endorse the idea and I would have a preference for it being a cross over fic of some kind to honor how this forum got started. If you guys decide to do this I would make it an official Sticky Topic for the month of October.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Satori
Youngling

Post by Satori »

Do you want horror elements, or a horror theme? I've seen Pokemon fanfics that were written as horror and did a pretty swell Job of it at that. On the gripping hand, you have stories with Zombies and vampires and werewolves and whatnot that are comedies.

I'm actually considering writing a BtVS/WH40K fic, set on the WH side.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I think, in the spirit of the site, we should have a first rule of all submissions for the purposes of the challenge should be crossovers. As to length, well, I personally feel that it should be as long as you can write it in the remaining three weeks, but that's just me. If anyone else thinks that there should be some minimums or maximums, go right ahead and suggest them and we can discuss what is fair.

As to horror vs horror elements, that's a bit trickier. While not strictly opposed to horror elements being used for the purposes of comedy, I'm not sure if that would make things clear for "judging" (if we were to do such things afterwards). Of course, Halloween is not exactly and entirely serious holiday, so it would not be out of character to have a humorous slant to some of the stories. I say just straight horror, but if there are a number of people who were to chime up and say that they wanted to do stories that were to play with the horror tropes in a lighthearted manner, then I would not stand in their way.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I think that it might do well to have a 'scariest' sub-category for folks who want to try it, and then a 'best overall'.

Of course, we don't have prizes, so I don't know if having different categories is really necessary. Getting some good artist to donate nice 'sig banners' might be a good prize.
ImageImage
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

For scary shit, you can't beat 40k. Have a Genestealer infested Space Hulk come out of the Wormhole by DS9 or some shit.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:For scary shit, you can't beat 40k. Have a Genestealer infested Space Hulk come out of the Wormhole by DS9 or some shit.
Surely the C'Tan / Necrons would be better? Genestealers are great for causing carnage and can be scary, but I think the star-gods would work better, if only because they're more adaptable. I can just see the Deceiver getting into the whole Hallowe'en spirit for kicks; the Nightbringer is the literal Grim Reaper, and I don't think I need to say anything more about the actual Necrons and their Tomb Spyder & Scarab minions :) .
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

The Necrons have a tie with Chaos for most "Halloweeny" of the 40k groups (undead and demons, respectively), the only problem is that they are considered near overwhelming in their own universe, so unless you plan on wiping out the protagonists or having some sort of deus ex ending then it can be tricky to get good balance with the 'crons. Not that its impossible, its just that there are other, "fairer" opponents in 40k. A single Necron Warrior vs. Buffy would end: "And they all died. From being disassembled on an atomic level. And gangrene."

And yeah, I figured "prizes" would just be the pride of winning "Scariest Story" or "Best Story". People would post links to their stories in this thread and then after Halloween there would perhaps be a few quick polls in testing that would go away in a few days where we pick the best in their categories. So far I see the categories:

*Best Story
*Scariest Story
*Possibly funniest story?
*Goriest story?
*Story with the best "WTF?" moment?

Other than the first two which are pretty obvious, can anyone else think of any good category ideas?

More discussion on rules, is there any objection to having no limit on size, other than time and quality? On another vein, should we have a "One Entry per person" rule, or allow as many entries as can be completed?

And finally, to contribute to the brainstorming atmosphere I originally envisioned this thread would help create, I present an amusing crossover idea that would have to be played a little less than straight, but would probably be amusing in the hands of a skilled author:

Ashley J. "Ash" Williams vs. the Nightbringer. A fair fight, don't you think? I suppose someone could do an Ash vs. Freddy vs. Jason story since we'll never see it on the silver screen.
Satori
Youngling

Post by Satori »

Academia Nut wrote:The Necrons have a tie with Chaos for most "Halloweeny" of the 40k groups (undead and demons, respectively), the only problem is that they are considered near overwhelming in their own universe, so unless you plan on wiping out the protagonists or having some sort of deus ex ending then it can be tricky to get good balance with the 'crons. Not that its impossible, its just that there are other, "fairer" opponents in 40k. A single Necron Warrior vs. Buffy would end: "And they all died. From being disassembled on an atomic level. And gangrene."
So, WH40K/Dahakverse then? :P

The BTVS/WH idea I had involved the BTVS character's memories being imprinted on certain WH40k characters, due to that Halloween incident.

The Willow-analogue was pretty scary. High level psyker, not quite sane, works machines spirits better than the admech can. She relies on the Xander-analogue guardsman to keep her grounded and coherent.