NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Fucking Packers.

Thanks a lot, James "Butterfingers" Jones. That's 14 points down the drain.
Packers.com wrote:"Mistakes happen," Jones said. "I'm not dwelling on it or nothing. We lost the game and we have to get better. That's all it is, that's all that matters."
You should dwell on the fact that you should have done a better job protecting the football.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Apparently Buffalo is the only team to lead New England so far. That's why I like Buffalo: they may not be very good, but they lie down for no one.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I started Drew Brees in my fantasy league again. I wanted to give him another chance. That would make me a fucking idiot. Philip Rivers, COME ON DOWN!
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart, you definitely turned around your picks. Sort of like hitting all ten pins after guttering.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Haruko wrote:Fucking Packers.

Thanks a lot, James "Butterfingers" Jones. That's 14 points down the drain.
Uh-huh! The worst part is, even with those 2 fumbles, and Favre's first interception, they still came within 2 vertical inches of tying the game and going to overtime. Dammit! I threw my cheesehead in frustration when I saw how close that Hail Mary play was to working. :x
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

So Romo is 2/5 so far with 2 interceptions.

Jaworski was saying before the game that this had "trap" written all over it, although it's way too early to say.

Buffalo up 7-0 on an interception return. Brian Moorman's fake punt run was awesome.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ahahahahahahahaha! Worst defense in the league huh? Well SCREW YOU Dallas! :lol:
JADAFETWA
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Dallas wins, but I'll say it: that was the most insane football game I've ever seen.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Holy fuck, Dallas won! WTF?! To be honest, I was cheering against the Cowboys but that was an amazing game. Wow.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

GODDAMNIT! GODMOTHERFUCKINGDAMNIT! ANOTHER FUCKING GAME LOST AT THE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND BY A FUCKING FIELDGOAL BECAUSE THE OFFENSE COULDN'T PICK UP THEIR OWN ONSIDE KICK! WHAT THE FUCK?! WHAT THE FLYING GODDAMN FUCK!?

NOBODY better blame the fucking defense for this, that part still holds true. They played fucking FANTASTIC tonight. ONE fucked-up onside kick...

GodDAMNit
JADAFETWA
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Wait, what? Didn't Owen's conversion get ruled incomplete?
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

ARE.YOU.FUCKING.SERIOUS?
thejester wrote:Wait, what? Didn't Owen's conversion get ruled incomplete?
No, his catch on the first FG attempt. Well, that's our season.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

thejester wrote:Wait, what? Didn't Owen's conversion get ruled incomplete?
You stopped watching too damn soon. :wink: After Owens catch was ruled incomplete, instead of the 1 second left on the clock, the clock was reset to 13 seconds to reflect when the incomplete pass happened and the Cowboys were able to run not one, but 2 catch-and-runs out-of-bounds to stop the clock and get within kick-off distance. They kicked it once BUT Dick Jauron, the Bills coach, called a timeout at the last second forcing the Cowboys to kick it again. And kick again they did, and for the 2nd time in a row, it was straight and true.

For the win. That game was epic.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I knew the Bills would choke when they had the ball deep in Dallas territory and threw on first down (incomplete -clock stopped), ran on second, then threw on third (the pick Newman ran back). Three straight runs would have taken about 1:40 off the clock and left Buffalo in easy FG range. The Bills would have won. There's a reason the Buffalo Bills are 1-4.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

I was rooting for the upset, until that last second timeout during the FG attempt. That shit pisses me right off. It's unsportsmanlike and should not be tolerated. Still a very fun game to watch.

As for Owens, BWAHAHAHA! He almost blew the game twice in the last 20 seconds, and got bailed out. That being said, he did well for my fantasy team. Romo also, barely, managed to squeak into positive fantasy points, too.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Dark Flame wrote:I was rooting for the upset, until that last second timeout during the FG attempt. That shit pisses me right off. It's unsportsmanlike and should not be tolerated. Still a very fun game to watch.

As for Owens, BWAHAHAHA! He almost blew the game twice in the last 20 seconds, and got bailed out. That being said, he did well for my fantasy team. Romo also, barely, managed to squeak into positive fantasy points, too.
Icing a kicker is a standard practice, but what a finish! What an incredibly insane game.

In other news, Travis Johnson is the worst person in the League, after Ray Lewis.
"The bottom line is, it was a malicious hit. It was uncalled for,'' Johnson said. "He's like the scarecrow. He wants to get courage while I wasn't looking, and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head. God don't like ugly, you know what I mean?

"My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today,'' Johnson said. "If you want to hit me, hit me in my head, hit me in my chest, don't hit me in my knee. I'm trying to eat just like everybody else. So, to hit me like that, that showed me what type of man he was.''
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I said it before: If I had a dollar for every game Buffalo loses by one, I'd be a rich man.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I never wish injury on a player, but that guy is an asshole for taunting a player who was knocked cold. He'd better watch his ass, since what goes around comes around. Case in point: Chop-blocking cheapshot artist and all-around douchebag Tom Nalen of the Denver Donkeys is out for the season.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:I never wish injury on a player, but that guy is an asshole for taunting a player who was knocked cold. He'd better watch his ass, since what goes around comes around. Case in point: Chop-blocking cheapshot artist and all-around douchebag Tom Nalen of the Denver Donkeys is out for the season.
I take it none of you guys have ever had someone, either offensive lineman or QB, go for a "legal" cut on your knees? Johnson was an asshole for the pointing bit, but he had every right to be pissed off. His career could have just as easily been ended instead of Green's.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote:I take it none of you guys have ever had someone, either offensive lineman or QB, go for a "legal" cut on your knees? Johnson was an asshole for the pointing bit, but he had every right to be pissed off. His career could have just as easily been ended instead of Green's.
When I played in high school I made it a point to slug DBs who dove at my knees (I played OL). Or I'd just fall on them and funny thing was, by elbow always connected with their nuts when that happened. I think the block like Green threw should be banned, just like it is on crack-backs and kick returns. But (a) Johnson wasn't injured and (b) he's taunting a player who in out cold and (c) the dickhead kept it up after the game. Johnson is a douchebag.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:
havokeff wrote:I take it none of you guys have ever had someone, either offensive lineman or QB, go for a "legal" cut on your knees? Johnson was an asshole for the pointing bit, but he had every right to be pissed off. His career could have just as easily been ended instead of Green's.
When I played in high school I made it a point to slug DBs who dove at my knees (I played OL). Or I'd just fall on them and funny thing was, by elbow always connected with their nuts when that happened. I think the block like Green threw should be banned, just like it is on crack-backs and kick returns. But (a) Johnson wasn't injured and (b) he's taunting a player who in out cold and (c) the dickhead kept it up after the game. Johnson is a douchebag.
A douchebag yes, but I fully agree with what he said, just should have kept it to himself like all the other defensive players do.

Do you know how much money you could have made off your picks this week on a football card? :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

havokeff wrote:A douchebag yes, but I fully agree with what he said, just should have kept it to himself like all the other defensive players do.
You think the block by Green was "malicious?" Are you insane?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Master of Ossus wrote:
havokeff wrote:A douchebag yes, but I fully agree with what he said, just should have kept it to himself like all the other defensive players do.
You think the block by Green was "malicious?" Are you insane?
I don't think Green had malicious intent, but that type of block, down at the knees from the side, is malicious. I've never blamed players for making those blocks though, I've always blamed coaches for teaching players to make those blocks. Green did it basically on instinct not only because he was out weighed by almost 200 lbs, but because since he was in high school, coaches have been teaching him to throw that block.

The weight issue shouldn't even be brought into the discussion though, as you can find about 3 or 4 GREAT blocks that 175lb corner backs or wide receivers throw on linebackers and linemen on run plays or fumble or interception returns every week.

To say that that type of block isn't fucked up is ridiculous. Look at the replay again and forget that Green's head got clocked with a knee and look at what happened to Johnson. His knee almost buckles, he is flipped into the air and comes a few athletic inches from landing on his head. The rarity on that block is the knee to the head of the blocker. The more common outcome is a serious knee injury or even a head or neck injury to the blockee. If Green had gotten that knee into the back this wouldn't even be an issue, and people would be saying how that was a dirty cut block and Johnson was right to be pissed and yelling at him.

In a league where almost every consideration is given to the QB, and even and accidental hit below their legs is penalized and fined, not to mention that defensive players can't even hit an offensive player who has the ball too hard now without getting a flag (see Adrian Wilson's CLEAN hit a couple of weeks ago) and then to have a QB deliberately go for a guys legs and no one say Green was wrong is what is insane.

Like I said, the guy is a douchebag and when he turned around and saw that Green wasn't moving he should have kept his fucking mouth shut. HOWEVER I absolutely agree with what he said and the reasons and sentiment behind it, if not with how he actually carried it out.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

havokeff wrote:I don't think Green had malicious intent, but that type of block, down at the knees from the side, is malicious. I've never blamed players for making those blocks though, I've always blamed coaches for teaching players to make those blocks. Green did it basically on instinct not only because he was out weighed by almost 200 lbs, but because since he was in high school, coaches have been teaching him to throw that block.
And so has the NFL Rules Committee, since blocks like that are not outlawed.
The weight issue shouldn't even be brought into the discussion though, as you can find about 3 or 4 GREAT blocks that 175lb corner backs or wide receivers throw on linebackers and linemen on run plays or fumble or interception returns every week.
Nonetheless, blocks like that one are both effective and legal. Given the angle, it's hard to believe that Green could have done any better, or even been as effective, if he had thrown the block anywhere else.
To say that that type of block isn't fucked up is ridiculous. Look at the replay again and forget that Green's head got clocked with a knee and look at what happened to Johnson. His knee almost buckles, he is flipped into the air and comes a few athletic inches from landing on his head. The rarity on that block is the knee to the head of the blocker. The more common outcome is a serious knee injury or even a head or neck injury to the blockee. If Green had gotten that knee into the back this wouldn't even be an issue, and people would be saying how that was a dirty cut block and Johnson was right to be pissed and yelling at him.
No, the hit was totally legal. See the NFL Rules Committee. It's not a dirty play. And weren't you the one who was arguing that cheating was fine in the NFL, and that people were pussies for complaining about cheaters? Green didn't even CHEAT and you're complaining. And so is that cowardly little shit, Johnson.
In a league where almost every consideration is given to the QB, and even and accidental hit below their legs is penalized and fined, not to mention that defensive players can't even hit an offensive player who has the ball too hard now without getting a flag (see Adrian Wilson's CLEAN hit a couple of weeks ago) and then to have a QB deliberately go for a guys legs and no one say Green was wrong is what is insane.
Take it up with the NFL Rules Committee. Green's block was clean. Johnson's just a douchebag. People get hurt playing football. That's part of the game. If he's too scared to go out on the field and take legal hits, he shouldn't be out there.
Like I said, the guy is a douchebag and when he turned around and saw that Green wasn't moving he should have kept his fucking mouth shut. HOWEVER I absolutely agree with what he said and the reasons and sentiment behind it, if not with how he actually carried it out.
If you absolutely agree with everything he said, then why don't you think the block was malicious? Green wasn't trying to injure him, and if he had been injured on the play then Green wouldn't have gone over and taunted him, and then kept talking about it after the game.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Master of Ossus wrote:
havokeff wrote:I don't think Green had malicious intent, but that type of block, down at the knees from the side, is malicious. I've never blamed players for making those blocks though, I've always blamed coaches for teaching players to make those blocks. Green did it basically on instinct not only because he was out weighed by almost 200 lbs, but because since he was in high school, coaches have been teaching him to throw that block.
And so has the NFL Rules Committee, since blocks like that are not outlawed.
Uh, actually no, the Rules Committee doesn't teach the players to cut block.
Nonetheless, blocks like that one are both effective and legal. Given the angle, it's hard to believe that Green could have done any better, or even been as effective, if he had thrown the block anywhere else.
Did I once say that the block wasn't legal? Don't put words in my mouth. I said it was fucked up, just as pretty much anyone who has taken that kind of block, whether hurt or not, has said. I also didn't say the block wasn't effective. As a matter of fact, it is one of the most effective techniques there are. It is still a fucked up block technique. As for its legality, like any major rules change it takes an incident like this to get it attention. Like the time out "strategy" that has popped up this year, this rule will now be looked at and probably changed in the off season.

Also, a block doesn't have to be a devastating hit and take down to be effective. Green could have just got in his way and held him up for a split second and it could have achieved the same effect.
No, the hit was totally legal. See the NFL Rules Committee. It's not a dirty play. And weren't you the one who was arguing that cheating was fine in the NFL, and that people were pussies for complaining about cheaters? Green didn't even CHEAT and you're complaining. And so is that cowardly little shit, Johnson.
Just because it is legal, which again, I never said it wasn't, doesn't mean it isn't dirty. There is no one that has ever played football that doesn't think that blocking technique is dirty and shouldn't be in the game, with the exception of the Bronco's offensive line. When you listen to all the experts, ex-players especially, none of them say the block isn't dirty, what they say, like you is that it is legal and then further justify their position by saying that defensive players do it whenever they get the chance. None of that changes the fact that it is a fucked up way to throw a block.

Again, you are putting words in my mouth. My stance on video taping signals from a coordinator to a player, which can be changed, and using that to an advantage has absolutely ZERO to do with throwing a block aimed directly at a players knees that could possibly end his season if not end his career. I said that the Jets were whiners for complaining about it, when they could have just changed their signals, which the should be doing anyway. The two are not even in the same ball park.
Take it up with the NFL Rules Committee. Green's block was clean. Johnson's just a douchebag. People get hurt playing football. That's part of the game. If he's too scared to go out on the field and take legal hits, he shouldn't be out there.
No, the block was legal, not clean. It is the "text book" definition of a dirty block. Coming in from the side or behind, AIMING at the players knees and the player having absolutely NO defense against it. There are ALREADY rules in place to protect QBs and Wide Receivers from these types of hits and blocks and if it had been a receiver throwing the same exact block crashing in on a run play it would have been illegal.

As for people getting hurt, that is a fact that everyone who has played lives with. Deliberately trying to hurt someone is another thing all together. Whether he had the intent or not doesn't matter. That type of block is a direct attack on a football players most vital parts.
If you absolutely agree with everything he said, then why don't you think the block was malicious? Green wasn't trying to injure him, and if he had been injured on the play then Green wouldn't have gone over and taunted him, and then kept talking about it after the game.
I said the act of the block, carried out by however, is malicious in my eyes, The intent doesn't really even matter to me. So in that aspect I do agree with Johnson. As for Green not taunting if the roles were reversed, that speaks to character of the person. Johnson is a douchebag. NOT for being pissed off about the block, but for screaming at an unconscious man. Green, as far as I know isn't a douchebag, but the loss of respect that Johnson spoke of for Green, I am with 100%. Green as a QB, of all people, should have known better.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)