Columbus Day

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I really don't think that Columbus screwed the environment all that much with his travels.
Who said anything about screwing? He's right that the Spanish conquest had a big ecological impact; the Americas wouldn't have wild horses if it weren't for the ones imported by the Conquistadores.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Bounty wrote: Who said anything about screwing? He's right that the Spanish conquest had a big ecological impact; the Americas wouldn't have wild horses if it weren't for the ones imported by the Conquistadores.
Well, hongi did:
Hongi wrote:So not only did he herald in a new era of colonialism, he was also a cross-ecological explorer...who helped screw up the environment. Yay.
I'm far from denying there was a big ecological impact. I've just finished my sandwich with cheese, ham and tomatoes, after all :D
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Flagg wrote:I was taught that bogus "discovered the world was round" bullshit. Of course everyone who was in the least bit educated already knew that looong before Columbus was even born. Incidentally, the story about the learned people of his time mocking him is pretty true. He insisted that the Earth was about 1/3 smaller than they had calculated. They were pretty much correct and if it hadn't been for North and South America being here, he'd have died from starvation.
America didn't just "happen" to be there to save Columbus' ass. The man had done a very careful and meticulous study of the currents of the Atlantic Ocean. He determined, correctly, that there was a landmass roughly 3000 miles west of Europe. His mistake was assuming this landmass was Asia, and that therefore everyone was wrong about Asia being 10,000 miles west of Europe.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I was taught that bogus "discovered the world was round" bullshit.
WAT? :roll: :lol: So who was Magellan then? :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Stas Bush wrote:
Which would also be bullshit. Magellan proved what everyone already knew.
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

The greeks proved the world was round with the tower geometric experment. Shadows prove we are on the surface of the sphere. Ships also prove the world is round, as they seem to dissapear the further we go from shore.
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Redleader34 wrote:The greeks proved the world was round with the tower geometric experment. Shadows prove we are on the surface of the sphere. Ships also prove the world is round, as they seem to dissapear the further we go from shore.
Their proofs were more sophisticated than that; as early as Aristotle there was undeniable proof, through astronomy and mathematics, that the Earth was a sphere (and not just a curved surface, which is all the horizon argument proves). They even had the planet's size right within at worst 20% of the real number.

(the idea of spherical Earth must've been a real mindfuck for a civilization that didn't know the concept of gravity. How the hell do the oceans stay in place?)

It's also a myth that the Catholic Church had a flat Earth doctrine - some of it's theologians were falt-earthers, but it never actively opposed the theory as far as I'm aware and a spherical Earth appears in medieval textbooks and maps. Magellan's expedition drove the final nail in the coffin by actually going out and seeing for himself, but it was hardly a revolutionary concept.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:
Wasn't Magellan's voyage specifically to prove it was possible to sail completely around the world? Or was that just the end result?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, he just made a practical round-the-world voyage, but if that's ascribed to Columbus, what the hell of bogus history are people being taught? :?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Stas Bush wrote:
Yeah, he just made a practical round-the-world voyage, but if that's ascribed to Columbus, what the hell of bogus history are people being taught? :?
Blame Washington irving; I think he's the one who came up with that myth.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stas Bush wrote:
It seems to be a peculairity of American schooling. Some form of continental nationalism. Columbus, because he happened to discover the Americas, is One Of Us, and so he must have done this big momentous thing, not some silly Portugese person.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Magellan's voyage proved what everybody in Europe hoped, which was the existence of a direct water passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans. Until his scouts found the strait, people had been hoping the passage existed, thought it was probably in the wrong place, and knew nothing at all about it.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Bounty wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:
Blame Washington irving; I think he's the one who came up with that myth.
Yeap, he made up alot of bullshit.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Flagg wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Quick question regarding Colombus: how did he treat the natives? Was he a conquerer or an explorer?
Columbus once ordered his men to cut the babies out of a group of mothers' wombs and crush their skulls while the mothers lay bleeding to death in agony, as a public demonstration to remind the natives of who's in charge.
But if you mention this, then you're racist against Italians.
So it's actually true that Italian-Americans loudly stick up for Columbus? I thought that only happened in The Sopranos.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Discombobulated wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Darth Wong wrote: Columbus once ordered his men to cut the babies out of a group of mothers' wombs and crush their skulls while the mothers lay bleeding to death in agony, as a public demonstration to remind the natives of who's in charge.
But if you mention this, then you're racist against Italians.
So it's actually true that Italian-Americans loudly stick up for Columbus? I thought that only happened in The Sopranos.
Yeap, it's true. In fact there really are fights between Italians and Native Americans during Columbus Day parades.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Well, damn. That's pretty fucking stupid. In a more rational world, I'd expect Italians to regard him as somewhat of an embarrassment. :? I thought the only people sticking up for Columbus would be the Rush Limbaughs of the world.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Mordicant
Redshirt

Post by Mordicant »