The heavy metal thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

The heavy metal thread

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

I'm not quite sure what the consensus on the board is regarding the quality of heavy metal, but I, for one, am quite a fan. Here are a few examples of some of the better bands off the top of my head (forgive me for some of the videos; they're not of my making):

Nevermore - "Believe in Nothing"

Flowing Tears - "Serpentine"

Dark Tranquility - "Monochromatic Stains"

Mystic Prophecy - "In Hell"/"Master of Sins"

My Dying Bride - "For My Fallen Angel

In Flames - "Jotun"

Scar Symmetry - "Chaosweaver"

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - "Bride of the Crimson Sea"

Sentenced - "New Age Messiah"

Any other metalheads out there? What're some of your favorite bands/genres? Any recommendations?
Diocletian had the right idea.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

A) This should be in AMP

B) Where is Blind Guardian/Demons and Wizards!?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

NeoGoomba wrote:A) This should be in AMP
Sorry. Can a mod shunt it over there?
B) Where is Blind Guardian/Demons and Wizards!?
Yuck. Flower metal. :D

I like Iced Earth. At least, pre-Ripper IE.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The mods are going to verbally abuse you for posting yet another music thread in OT, you realize.

That said, Metal is the only True Path. All who deny The Metal must be cleansed in the fires of blistering guitar solos. I like 80s metal: Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, the Scorpions, Judas Priest, and so on. Not a big fan of death metal and the more extreme thrash metal; I like a lot of the guitar riffs but the vocals just grate on my ears.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:The mods are going to verbally abuse you for posting yet another music thread in OT, you realize.
Sorry. Hey, it's my first post in OT. >.>
That said, Metal is the only True Path. All who deny The Metal must be cleansed in the fires of blistering guitar solos. I like 80s metal: Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, the Scorpions, Judas Priest, and so on. Not a big fan of death metal and the more extreme thrash metal; I like a lot of the guitar riffs but the vocals just grate on my ears.

Righteous. Check out Angel Witch; traditional metal at its finest. \m/
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Jesus...we have a place called.

Art
MUSIC
Photos.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

For these, I looked through my old posts to see what was broken or not, these were the few that still work:

Fantomas - The Godfather

Fantomas - Angel of Death (Slayer)

Fantomas - Cape Fear

Vader - Hellalujah! (God is Dead)

Immolation - Harnessing Ruin
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Zuul wrote:Immolation - Harnessing Ruin[/url]
Fuck. Yes.

Crpyopsy - "Cold Hate, Warm Blood"

Not a huge fan of straight death or black metal, but a few (Immolation, Cryptopsy, Goatwhore) fucking pwn.

EDIT:

While not a metal band, and certainly not a metal song, "A Warm Place" by Nine Inch Nails is one of my favorites. I always listen to it when I go to sleep.
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. During the county fair, back in August, we had a small metal band come to perform for us. As an aside, my county has a grand total of 9,872 people, most of whom are church-going and old enough to watch Viet Nam on TV; metal is not that big around here. Anyway, after listening to them play for a few hours, I have got to ask: Is it normal for death metal to sound like 3 minutes straight of grunting, growling, and screaming?
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

darthbob88 wrote:Is it normal for death metal to sound like 3 minutes straight of grunting, growling, and screaming?
Yes. Which I think is a shame, as again, a lot of the underlying music is really quite good.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Zuul wrote:Fantomas - Angel of Death (Slayer)
No shit? That's what Mike Patton is up to these days? Cool.

I saw Slayer way back in the early '90's. It was very interesting. Tom Araya was very soft spoken between songs, saying things like:

"Good evening, everyone. I trust that you're all having a good time? Excellent. Please be safe and thank you for coming out tonight, we appreciate your support. The next song is ANGEL OF DEAAAAAAAAATHHH!"

Just to continue with the early '90's, here's some of my favorites from then:

Corrosion Of Conformity - Clean My Wounds
I once sang this one to a music store clerk, because I loved it but didn't know who it was. They laughed, but pointed me in the right direction.

Vendetta - Brain Damage
Cheesy head-banging mullet goodness, but these guys fucking shred. Think Maiden playing Slayer riffs.

Prong - Unconditional
I saw these guys with Mind Over Four and Pantera back in 1990. My first pit, ahhhhh.

Suicidal Tendencies - Alone
The funny thing is, back then a lot of people hated them for going to thrash from punk.

Mordred - Falling Away
Cheesy, but I think these guys were the first metal band to use a DJ in their songs (1991, no less).

Not to be confused with Public Enemy, who were sampling Slayer back in '88!
She watch channel zero?

edit: another awesome cut from '88, admittedly more industrial than metal, but close enough :)
Ministry - Stigmata (Video Version)
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:The mods are going to verbally abuse you for posting yet another music thread in OT, you realize.

Ditto, and let's not forget Black Sabbath, and the first forays into metal by Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

YT300000 wrote:

Ditto, and let's not forget Black Sabbath, and the first forays into metal by Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.
Dio-era Sabbath >>> all.

"Children of the Sea"

"Time Machine"

And, of course, the perennial favorite,

"Heaven and Hell"

Not nearly as big a fan of their earlier work, however. I actually prefer Iron Butterfly, lame though that may sound.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Because they actually have full songs now..

Dethklok- Murmaider

Dethklok- Awaken

Dethklok- Go into the Water *Note* Is metal for fish. Any damages or injuries sustained while going into the water are not the responsibility of Dethklok.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Go into the water's ace. You can play that riff anywhere on the fretboard and it sounds awesome.

"Lungs transform to take in water..." dow-do-dow-do-dowowow

Mr Bungle - Quote Unquote - I was introduced to this by Khyron the Backstabber on here, fucking glad I was, too!

And one of my favourite songs of all time, if not my favourite: Anaal Nathrakh - When Humanity is Cancer

I saw these guys with Amon Amarth the other week, highly entertaining:

Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace

Dimmu Borgir - Hybrid Stigmata
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Yes. Which I think is a shame, as again, a lot of the underlying music is really quite good.
I think of it like this: if in Ghostbusters, instead of Zuul saying "there is no Dana only Zuul" in a growling puke from the depths of Hell, it was sung like whatshisface from Iron Maiden, it would be significantly lacking. Likewise, a nastier, snarlier, gruntier vocal is preferable for the more nasty, theatric and demonic styles of music. Besides, nobody wants to know wtf Chris Barnes is singing on Necropedophile. ;)
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

YT300000 wrote:Ditto, and let's not forget Black Sabbath, and the first forays into metal by Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.
And the often forgotten Blue Cheer.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

My favorite metal bands:

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Opeth
Iced Earth
Emperor
In Flames

.... not necessarily in that order.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Static-X has been one of my favorite metal bands since around 2000, though they're technically industrial metal (or "evil disco," as their lead singer calls it). I've seen them live several times, and I can say without hyperbole that I have never been to a louder show. They have everything on eleven. They're definitely worth the price of admission.

Push It, off their first album.

Destroyer, off their most recent album.

And yes, his hair is really like that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

This is a fun thread. Yay!

Anti-speed metal goodness from the Melvins.

edit: I just found this, a lounge cover of Cannibal Corpse... :lol:
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Zuul wrote:I think of it like this: if in Ghostbusters, instead of Zuul saying "there is no Dana only Zuul" in a growling puke from the depths of Hell, it was sung like whatshisface from Iron Maiden, it would be significantly lacking. Likewise, a nastier, snarlier, gruntier vocal is preferable for the more nasty, theatric and demonic styles of music. Besides, nobody wants to know wtf Chris Barnes is singing on Necropedophile. ;)
Bruce Dickinson is "whatshisface" to you? Oh man, I weep for you.

And don't get me wrong, if you like death metal, more power to you. I'm not saying the vocals are wrong. They're just not aesthetically pleasing in the slightest to me.

Besides, there's plenty of middle ground between bowel-puking death metal and shrieking hair metal: Lemmy Kilmister, the dudes from Armored Saint, Jag Panzer, Running Wild...

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

In all seriousness, I think Bruce is ace as a vocalist, I just couldn't remember his name when I wrote that response. His vocals, while technically excellent and emulated by lots of lesser bands, do not characterise anything remotely harsh, which is what I want.

I kept thinking "Bruce... wtf is his last name? Campbell? No, that's Ash from Evil Dead. Dickinson? No, that's the guy from Bargain Hunt (actually that guy is David Dickinson). What the hell was his name?! I'll just put whatshisface instead."
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Bruce Dickinson is a pretty impressive singer, imho. His long sustain of notes is great to listen to.

As for my favorite bands;
Black Sabbath (of course)
System Of A Down
Disturbed
Children Of Bodom
Iron Maiden (there we go, BD)
Metallica
Lamb Of God (not that great live)
Emperor
Rammstein
Evanescence (first album, not so much the second)
Cradle Of Filth
Dimmu Borgir (occasionally)
Static-X (saw them at Ozzfest, and that was amazing)
In Flames
Fear Factory (in small amounts)
Alice In Chains
Godsmack
Clutch

...and the list goes on. This is just the 2 minute off-the-top-of-my-head list. Sorry I don't have to links to particular videos, but I figure people can do that on their own in about five seconds, whereas it would take me significantly longer to look up every band on that list.

EDIT: Added some bands to the list.
Last edited by NomAnor15 on 2007-10-11 12:06am, edited 1 time in total.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

I can not believe that I forgot to add Tool to my above list. I've seen them four times in concert and they continue to blow me away each time.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Ghost Rider wrote:Jesus...we have a place called.

Art
MUSIC
Photos.
Well, labeling heavy metal as "music" is certainly debatable. :wink:

I have to admit that some of the 80's "hair metal" wasn't bad. The heaviest I really go is AC/DC, Sabbath... mostly old school stuff.

And Metallica is the most overrated shit-stain music ever.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

SylasGaunt wrote:Because they actually have full songs now..

Dethklok- Murmaider

Dethklok- Awaken

Dethklok- Go into the Water *Note* Is metal for fish. Any damages or injuries sustained while going into the water are not the responsibility of Dethklok.
I've always liked Dethklok's song Thunderhorse, which I discovered by playing Guitar Hero 2 (which is an awesome game by virtue of being fun and containing the song "Trogdor" as a bonus track). It's short, instrumental, fun, and pretty easy in-game. Not such a big fan of their vocals though.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower