Favorite National Anthem?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Favorite National Anthem?

Post by Kanastrous »

Which nation has the best words and music, for your taste?

I'm partial to the Russian anthem. The music is stately and beautiful, and the sentiments in the lyrics are for the most part the same.

Alas I think my own country's anthem is a downright embarrassment: an old British drinking tune that's impossible for most people to sing well, married to lyrics focused on a single, and not necessarily pivotal battle in a war that we kind of helped start, ourselves. Why they didn't pick America the Beautiful is a complete mystery, to me.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

Soviet Union/Russia.

Although, I am partial to my own, naturally. :D It's just not very epic. Although it has a good theme to it and the lyrics make sense and are more grounded than the general "Our country rocks, our country rules, our country's awesome, your country drools" ideal of a lot of national anthems.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Err...well...MUSICALLY speaking, I've always found russias to be depressing. I'm not a big fan of Minor Keys. That said, Spain's National Anthem is awesome to my ears. and the US National anthem is super-cool precisely for the reasons you mentioned before. :D

Also, I see A&P in our future...yes, it's coming...it's HIPPER! and he's got his finger on the move button...
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Re: Favorite National Anthem?

Post by Metatwaddle »

Kanastrous wrote:Alas I think my own country's anthem is a downright embarrassment: an old British drinking tune that's impossible for most people to sing well, married to lyrics focused on a single, and not necessarily pivotal battle in a war that we kind of helped start, ourselves. Why they didn't pick America the Beautiful is a complete mystery, to me.
You know, my grandfather always says the same thing about our national anthem and America the Beautiful, and I completely agree.

Except the part about it being a British drinking tune. That's insulting to our great country and you should be ashamed of your lack of patriotism. It's a German drinking tune. :P
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
fgalkin2
Padawan Learner

Post by fgalkin2 »

The Soviet Anthem for sheer power
The Hatikvah for it's beauty.
The Marsellaise for the coolness factor.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
This is me posting from a public computer or a mobile device.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

fgalkin2 wrote:The Marsellaise for the coolness factor.
Not only that, but it made for one of the most memorable and powerful scenes in Casablanca, when Victor Lazlo leads the entire club in a stirring rendition of it which drowned out the Nazis singing their anthem.

Defiance in the face of evil. There's your coolness alright.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: Favorite National Anthem?

Post by Kanastrous »

Discombobulated wrote:
Except the part about it being a British drinking tune. That's insulting to our great country and you should be ashamed of your lack of patriotism. It's a German drinking tune. :P
Whoops; so noted.
fgalkin2 wrote:The Marsellaise for the coolness factor.
The duelling Marsellaise-Die Wacht am Rhein scene in Casablanca is the most stirring performance of the song, ever...
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Soviet Union
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

We have a national anthem? The mind boggles

Rule Britannia, on the other hand, is very gung ho and patriotic and doesn't have any verse about smoting the Scots.

*Checks* Ah! Apparently we do have a national anthem. It sung by The Sex Pistols.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
anybody_mcc
Padawan Learner

Post by anybody_mcc »

I also have to say Soviet Union. But I like most slavic hymns. Polish, Czech and Slovak are great too. And if the song i heard once was Japanese hymn, then i like it also.

Strange how sometimes hymns really reflect some kind of national psyche. It is true at least about those i mentioned, they somehow fit their respective nations.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move." Douglas Adams

"When smashing momuments, save the pedestals - they always come in handy." Stanislaw Lem
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Soviet union ftw.

Also, everything in minor = ace.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Patrick Degan wrote:Not only that, but it made for one of the most memorable and powerful scenes in Casablanca, when Victor Lazlo leads the entire club in a stirring rendition of it which drowned out the Nazis singing their anthem.
Weren't they singing the "Wacht am Rhein" instead of "Deutschland über alles?"

It's been a long time since I saw that movie, but I thought it was the former.

To the OT: La Marseillaise.

And to all you who just spelled it wrong: Shame on you. :P
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Yeah, in Casablance it's Wacht am Rhein because (this is funny) the producers wanted to use the Horst Wessel, which was basically the Nazi anthem - and it was copyrighted. So rather than risk distribution problems in neutral countries (of course the Allied nations wouldn't have given a damn) they used Wacht am Rhein because it was in the public domain.

That's what I heard, anyway.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

To AMP with this music talk!
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Soviet Union (don't know the name), and Israel (Hatikva). And I'm with Zuul on minor keys=win.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I've never heard the Israeli one, although I've heard it's good. Soviet Union's anthem was pretty nice, that is what they are singing on the Red October in that movie with Sean Connery, isn't it? "I think I hear singing, sir."

La Marseillaise is...nice.

God Save the Queen is quite good, and of course, I'm favourably disposed to listening to O Canada on repeat once in a while. :)
XXXI
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

The 'Red October Hymn' was written for the film by Basil Pouledoris.

But is sure sounds like the Real Thing.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Oh Basil. Man, that guy wrote some nice music. Klendathu Drop from Starhip Troopers still gives me chills.
XXXI
Darth Mordius
Youngling

Post by Darth Mordius »

The Soviet one isn't bad, but man. God save the Queen! Any song with knave in it is automatic awesome.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

NomAnor15 wrote:Soviet Union (don't know the name), and Israel (Hatikva). And I'm with Zuul on minor keys=win.
Thirding that. Israel's national anthem is the only one I know of in a minor key, and it's also my favorite. The Soviet one is also pretty cool.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

The Star Spangled Banner's got an okay tune, though none of the verses lend themselves especially to an national anthem. The first isn't a particularly good choice, as it ends on a question; I think the second verse is better because the question is answered by the flag gloriously reflected in the sunlight etc. The third and fourth are more gung-ho, but in all honesty I have misgivings about encouraging the average, somewhat unhinged American to sing an anthem about killing the foe and conquering in the name of God and justice.

Though really, I think there could be a great U.S. national hymn on the tune of Chester, which is a lovely piece of music, is authentically American instead of cribbed from elsewhere, and has the appropriate Revolutionary pedigree. I'd just tweak the lyrics to emphasize the national rather than the hymn.