I open the first-in-Siberia urban decay photo-expo (no 56k)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

I open the first-in-Siberia urban decay photo-expo (no 56k)

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well, last 10 days were a blast since I have opened a photo-exposition of urban decay photos from around Russia in my hometown of Omsk. It's the first such expo in Siberia and it gathered quite an attention in the media.

With a budget of ~30,000 roubles (around 1,1K USD) it took me half a year to amass the required funds on my own, but I tightened my belt (so did my fiancee) and we pushed through with this large event that made us totally bankrupt financially until the 9th of October - but morally satisfied.

A totally uncommercial venture done in full accordance with V.I. Lenin's quote "Art must belong to the people", it included a grand opening with free alcohol (absinthe + vodka&cranberry) at the 4th of October and a music performance of a Dark Ambient/Dark Electro band AINOMA - with free entrance - at the 7th of October.

The exposition includes over 50 works of urban explorers, stalkers and inflitrators across Russia - from Europe to Siberia to Yakutia...

Decay Aesthetics website - look here for several sample author works!

A mad raider from a postnuclear future - that's me:
Another mad raider with the red industrial armband:
They're hellbent on destruction after coming out of the Vault:
One of our Dark Ambient musicians feels a deadly touch: :lol:
TV reporters:
Welcome to an industrial spirit - cog-formed bocals of absinthe and cranberry vodka put upon my very personal 1987 Soviet flag:
Cheers!
Two industrial infiltrators:
A large mass of people (around 150 in a 50 square meter hall):
I give an opening speech in which I hail the 10th anniversary of Fallout, explain the beauty of urban exploration, stalk and dark ambient, praise Tarkovsky's movie "Stalker" and briefly mention the game of the same name.... lament the downfall of Russian industry... and welcome everyone to the exposition of a post-apocalyptic Russia (all photos are 200x).
Applause!
My fiancee is ready to mete out severe repression against any bourgeois critics.
Sky Fox, the chief webdesigner and also an author, celebrates the 10th Anniversary of Fallout, pondering the post-nuclear future.
Tolich, our "PR-manager" and my former classmate. We made a joint venture to an abandoned international airport complex in Omsk for the exposition.
Yay!
The fight starts...
And ends... with me losing and my mobile falling to the floor...
The AFTERPARTY:
Jadus - a darkwave studio manager, a musician and a photographer. He's scary:
He and our post-nuclear mannequin Willie:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Dude, that is cool. Oh, and good luck on your whole venture. Man, a museum curator! That's so awesome!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Congrats on the exposition. The images in the web site are really cool.
I love the whole urban exploration thing.
I´ve only done it once myself. I went draining with a couple of friends in the drain of Ulm. After two km you can enter an abandoned jazz bar which is only accessible via this drain and it´s got an old air-raid shelter in the basement.
However, i imagine Russia to be a paradise for urban exploring.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Looks like a LOT of geeky fun :D . Funny that I never realized that you were a Fallout fan before, feel free to use my spare shelter when the bombs hit (Although we're keeping the bio-gear and chem-toilet in our shelter, we do have a duty to outbreed your shelter full of only the most attractive women, an Excellent idea, no? :P )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Why is this in Testing? Put it in AMP!

ps your fiance is gorgeous :wink:
XXXI
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Ah well, me bad... I guess I got used to posting photos in Testing. If someone moves that to AMP, I'd be most grateful. :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Looks cool comrade. What did the news people say?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

This is indeed far too prestigious for a hive of scum and spamminy like Testing.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Dude, your fiancee looks totally hot in that uniform. :)
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

That looks pretty sweet, both from an artistic perspective, and a geek one haha.

Did you advertise it much, or were you hoping for word-of-mouth to attract visitors?

And, more importantly, has Bethesda asked you and your posse to become Fallout 3 models? :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:What did the news people say?
Blah blah postapocalypse blah Chernobyl blah expo... something like that.
NeoGoomba wrote:Did you advertise it much, or were you hoping for word-of-mouth to attract visitors?
Free advertisment - TV news, free-printed posters. Worked good enough :)

Assalti Frontali
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Stas Bush wrote: Free advertisment - TV news, free-printed posters. Worked good enough :)
Yes, that I can see. Congrats man.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

My fiancee is ready to mete out severe repression against any bourgeois critics.
You owe me a new keyboard now. :P

Quite awesome expo there. I like the flag.
"Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. This is roughly 4,000 times more lakes than people."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Beautiful Stas. I'm glad it went well.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Gonna have to get my wife to translate the site for me. At the risk of sounding like a pretentious asshole, I've always been fascinated by images pf urban decay (like certain structures in the old East Berlin and Dresden). Very nice stuff! For the images on the site, is there any way I could get more information about them (where and when they were taken, etc.)?

Also, fiancee = hot. Jebus, they sure grow 'em pretty in Siberia.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Alferd Packer wrote:Gonna have to get my wife to translate the site for me. At the risk of sounding like a pretentious asshole, I've always been fascinated by images pf urban decay (like certain structures in the old East Berlin and Dresden). Very nice stuff! For the images on the site, is there any way I could get more information about them (where and when they were taken, etc.)?

Also, fiancee = hot. Jebus, they sure grow 'em pretty in Siberia.
Slavic beauty for ya :D

Excellent exposition. The creepiness of the pictures is eerily fascinating. It makes me...want...to go there...to touch...the...monolith ;)
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Fuckin awesome Stas. Sad to see the decaying structures of the once mighy Soviet state. At the same time eerily fascinating
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

:D
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360