NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The type of block Green threw is legal, but very similar ones like the crackback (where the receiver goes in motion and dives at the linebacker's legs) and ANY block below the waist on kickoffs, free kicks and punts is a 15-yard penalty. Chop-blocking is also illegal. I think the NFL should ban this type of block on end-arounds and reverses, too.

Still doesn't change the fact that Johnson is a douchebag.

Havokeff, I think you'll enjoy this comparison of female Charger fans vs female Raitard fans:

Scroll Down (maybe NSFW)
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

The only thing I can think of after the Dallas Debacle is...I really don't envy Willis McGahee his task come this Sunday.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:The type of block Green threw is legal, but very similar ones like the crackback (where the receiver goes in motion and dives at the linebacker's legs) and ANY block below the waist on kickoffs, free kicks and punts is a 15-yard penalty. Chop-blocking is also illegal. I think the NFL should ban this type of block on end-arounds and reverses, too.

Still doesn't change the fact that Johnson is a douchebag.
Agreed.
Havokeff, I think you'll enjoy this comparison of female Charger fans vs female Raitard fans:

Scroll Down (maybe NSFW)
and AGREED!! :lol: I work right by the Coliseum at the Harley dealer... holy christ on a stick are Raider female fans fucking fugly!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Umm..Saw an article that said that the panthers signed Testaverde to a one year contract. I saw it and thought...as what? a COACH? NAY! AS A QUARTERBACK! a 43 YEAR OLD QUARTERBACK STARTING WITH A NEW TEAM!

This league knows no bounds to it's madness.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It's not madness at all. There are only so many people who can handle the center snap without screwing it up. Testaverde is one of them.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Chardok wrote:This league knows no bounds to it's madness.
Maybe Dan Marino will come out of retirement to take back his records from Brett Favre.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

aerius wrote:
Chardok wrote:This league knows no bounds to it's madness.
Maybe Dan Marino will come out of retirement to take back his records from Brett Favre.
You....

are........You.....are not nice.

See? I contain...my......boiling.....fury
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Elfdart wrote:It's not madness at all. There are only so many people who can handle the center snap without screwing it up. Testaverde is one of them.
He's going to get hurt.

Badly.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Chardok wrote:
Elfdart wrote:It's not madness at all. There are only so many people who can handle the center snap without screwing it up. Testaverde is one of them.
He's going to get hurt.

Badly.
He probably won't play. He's just there in case Carr gets pulverized and they need a QB who has shown he can at least handle the fundamentals. Those are rare, which is why Aaron Wright managed to hang around (last I heard he was with the Giants) even though he has poor ball handling skills. I saw him play for the Cowboys and the guy is terrible.

This all stems from piss poor management and a "win now" mentality, which leads to poor coaching -and quarterbacking is a product of coaching more than anything else.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

okay, picking week six, by which teams I like more again.

Philadelphia at New York Jets
St. Louis at Baltimore
Cincinnati at Kansas City
Minnesota at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Tennessee at Tampa Bay
Washington at Green Bay
Houston at Jacksonville
Carolina at Arizona
Oakland at San Diego
New England at Dallas
New Orleans at Seattle
New York Giants at Atlanta
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Qwerty 42 wrote: New York Giants at Atlanta
Really? Has Atlanta done something recently?
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Eh, I just don't care for a large number of the Giants, and as far as I can remember the Falcons released Vick.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Here goes:

Ravens
Bears
Dolphins (Words I never thought I'd say: an upset win over the Browns)

Redskins
Jaguars
Bengals
Buccaneers
Cardinals (memo to coaches: If you have Kurt Warner on your roster, LET HIM PLAY! How fucking stupid do you have to be to NOT play this guy? Nice to see a coach with some sense.)

Patriots
Chargers
Seahawks
Giants
Eagles (The uniforms the Eagles have worn over the last several years are very similar to the ones the Jets wore from the late 80s to mid 90s, when they were the joke of the NFL. The Eagles are now playing like those Jet teams, but McNabb should be enough to beat a NY team that is circling the drain.)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Week 6
Sunday, October 14
CIN @ KC
HOU @ JAC
MIA @ CLE
WAS @ GB
STL @ BAL
MIN @ CHI
PHI @ NYJ
TEN @ TB
CAR @ ARI
NE @ DAL
OAK @ SD
NO @ SEA

Monday, October 15
NYG @ ATL

Byes: Bills, Broncos, Lions, Colts, Steelers, 49ers
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Saints up 21-0, I think they're back! Also 4 TD's and the win against the Raidtards for San Diego.

Good week so far. 8)
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Packers win!
Saints win!

I lose in Fantasy Football. Again.

:cry:
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Dolphins look to be on track for their second most awesomest title EVAR!

0-16 baby! WOO! REVEL IN MEDIOCRITY!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Chardok wrote:Dolphins look to be on track for their second most awesomest title EVAR!

Testaverde did pretty well and managed to get a win for the Panthers, so maybe getting Dan Marino to come out of retirement isn't such a bad idea afterall. :P
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Chardok wrote:Dolphins look to be on track for their second most awesomest title EVAR!

Actually, 8-8 would be mediocrity. 0-16 would be due south of the shithouse. You know what the Dolphins should do? Tomorrow is the trade deadline. Nuke this team. Treat it like the East German Army in 1990: anyone with over a certain number of years gets sent packing. In this case traded, even if the picks aren't that great. Treat the rest of the season as a loooooong preseason to get ready for next year. And prowl that waiver wire. Out of what you have left, see who wants to play and who doesn't. Jimmy Johnson did that in Dallas and it worked. Sometimes you just have to tear the whole building down and start all over.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So since Fanboy is MIA and slacking...

Week 5 Picks

Elfdart 13-1
Havokeff 9-5
Darth Fanboy 9-5
Qwerty 42 3-10 1NP
The Dark 0-0 14NP

Week 6 Picks

Havokeff 8-5
Elfdart 7-6
Qwerty 42 7-6
Darth Fanboy 0-0 13NP
The Dark 0-0 13NP

Season totals

Elfdart 51-37
Havokeff 50-38
Darth Fanboy 43-32
The Dark 7-7
Qwerty 42 33-37
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Yeah, yeah. 4 under 500 and gunning for you!
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Elfdart wrote:

Actually, 8-8 would be mediocrity. 0-16 would be due south of the shithouse. You know what the Dolphins should do? Tomorrow is the trade deadline. Nuke this team. Treat it like the East German Army in 1990: anyone with over a certain number of years gets sent packing. In this case traded, even if the picks aren't that great. Treat the rest of the season as a loooooong preseason to get ready for next year. And prowl that waiver wire. Out of what you have left, see who wants to play and who doesn't. Jimmy Johnson did that in Dallas and it worked. Sometimes you just have to tear the whole building down and start all over.
Seems like they're packing it in. Donovan Darius was just cut...again, and the traded Chris Chambers to SD. Maybe, just maybe, Phillip Rivers can throw the ball to somebody besides Antonio Gates now.
-Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Falkenhayn wrote:
Elfdart wrote:

Seems like they're packing it in. Donovan Darius was just cut...again, and the traded Chris Chambers to SD. Maybe, just maybe, Phillip Rivers can throw the ball to somebody besides Antonio Gates now.
Yeah, I don't know what the fuck the Dolphins are doing, but ED is right. That team needs whole sale change this off season. Luckily there are some good franchise type QBs coming out this year.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Well, seeing as how Antonio Gates is on my fantasy team I'm not all that thrilled about his competition... Except I have Chambers too! Maybe now they can actually put together some real offense.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart