The Importance of Careful Label Reading

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

The Importance of Careful Label Reading

Post by The Spartan »

A little background: I tend to avoid caffeinated drinks. I don't like coffee and I try not to drink soda because of weight issues; even diet soda because I don't want to tempt myself. As a result I don't consume much caffeine.

Well, I also drink Crystal Light in the form of On-the-Go packs in my water at work. Today I was drinking "Wild Strawberry" and around noon I started feeling jittery and I wasn't sure what the problem was. I remembered that that particular flavor was one of their "energy" variants with caffeine but I thought, "It's not that much in there. Right?"

Wrong. There is 60mg per serving. Two servings per packet. I drank two packets over the course of about 3 hours.

That's 240 mg of caffeine into someone who rarely consumes more than about 60mg on any given day.

Anyone else have similar such, let's say, adventures?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

11 cans of ode Red in about 2 hours. Thats a sugar crash to tell about.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Land O' Lakes sweetened vanilla Half and Half in last year's Thanksgiving day mashed potatoes...I didn't do the shopping, and just opened and poured, and was at first a little horrified at the thickness and color, then I smelled the vanilla.
The containers look a lot alike...

:(

Ever peel 15 pounds of potatoes by hand (no vegetable peeler, with a knife, bitches!), cook them, drain them, and then utterly ruin them?

Far and away my biggest disaster in any kitchen, ever.
I have a hatred of wasting food that borders on the irrational, my face still burns with shame over that one.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I once took a caffeine pill with red bull on a night i had to stay up to work. It was...interesting.

Though honestly, my most fun experience was an observational one. One of my friends had such a high caffeine intake and one day he decided to go cold turkey. He did it to. For about three days he was shakey, couldn't concentrate if you held a gun to his head, and altogether a useless paperweight.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Gaidin wrote:I once took a caffeine pill with red bull on a night i had to stay up to work. It was...interesting.
You haven't seen anything until you combine Adderall with caffeine. I want to shoot myself whenever I take any sort of Ritalin-family meds anyway. Mixing them with caffeine is fucking torture.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Worst I've done is grabbed a Vanilla Coke instead of the classic kind. I was quite surprised when I tasted cream soda and ass.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

i can rarely drink coffee...

i once ate a whole can of coffee cookies...and i think that was the closest thing to a hang over i've ever had....oye... just thinking about it makes my head hurt
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Santiago
Redshirt

Post by Santiago »

I drink Red Bull and ocassionaly a Coca Cola or Pepsi. Hot coffee is good on a cold day to warm up. If I'm not in the mood for too much caffeine, iced tea is good (green or black is good)
Long live the Great Tokyo Empire!
Long live Akira!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I recently bought a can of nuts which turned out to be spicy flavored. I gave it to my roommate and his friends to munch on.

I'm sure there were many other instances... :x
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Only thing that comes to mind is accidentally grabbing diet (*insert retching noises here*) soda instead of regular for me. :|
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mordicant
Redshirt

Post by Mordicant »

When the drive-thru workers give you Mr. Pibb, when you ask for Dr. Pepper. To a Dr. Pepper elitist like myself that is worse than Diet. But, I fail for not fully reading the menu, they fail for not warning me.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Bizarro liquor adventures...but most of the time just grabbing the wrong glass.

Sometimes better then what I have, most of the time some godawful fru-fru drink from hell.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Adding cayenne pepper powder to rooibos tea. In trying to make a more cleansing sort of drink, I inadvertently created evil.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Frank Hipper wrote:
I have a hatred of wasting food that borders on the irrational, my face still burns with shame over that one.
I'm with you. I don't find many uses for the word "sin," but wasting food on a planet where so many people are starving comes as close as anything, for me.

I swore off caffeine a year or so ago, and now one cup of strong regular coffee is enough to give me a quarter-day's worth of the sweaty jitters.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

I've done the soda diet instead of regular one once. The first sip was a real shock. It was a whole case of root beer, too.

The only other mistakes I remember were using nutmeg instead of cinnamon on cinnamon toast and using pancake mix to flour chicken. That'll teach me to not label my flour containers. It was only the second time I made it that I figured out why it came out so sweet.

I usually eat my mistakes unless they come out truly horrible. It says something that I gave the soda away.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

I once bought low fat ice cream by accident.
Low fat ice cream isn't ice cream.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I had an "organic" cider today at a beer festival. It tasted like bacon fried in piss. WHY OH WHY didn't I keep up my hatred of organic false economy?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

A certain someone who will remain nameless had an entire pack of Jolt gum in roughly 2 hours, not realizing that every two pieces was equal to a cup of coffee. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Ive done the accidental Diet thing a couple times. It is one of the more horrific things that can happen under normal circumstances.

A friend and I once split a 12 pack of Jolt cola during a 2 hour movie. I was fairly ok, but my friend was bouncing around the room for the rest of the afternoon.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Bought some bottled drink stuff, I believe it was Sobe, not realizing it contained taurine and fuck knows what else. I react poorly to stimulants.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Regular doses of Adderall, combined with something like four *HUGE* mugs of dark, black, home made Dominican coffee. I love the taste, which is why I don't stop...

...but then comes six hours of a pounding heart, combined with the paradoxical sedation/soothing. The worst part is, I never learn my lesson :shock: :D
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Pseudoephedrine (instead of diphenhydramine) downed with a 40oz Smirnoff for a runny nose back in 2k3. I did NOT like the huge high it got me one bit! :lol:
Image Image
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Zuul wrote:I had an "organic" cider today at a beer festival. It tasted like bacon fried in piss. WHY OH WHY didn't I keep up my hatred of organic false economy?
Why would you drink anything but beer, at a beer festival...?

:?:
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Kanastrous wrote:
Zuul wrote:I had an "organic" cider today at a beer festival. It tasted like bacon fried in piss. WHY OH WHY didn't I keep up my hatred of organic false economy?
Why would you drink anything but beer, at a beer festival...?

:?:
Beer tastes like shit and they had a load of ciders, perries and spirits too. Though there was a lot more beers, ales and stouts, I hate beer in general so I didn't have any. Ciders don't usually taste like shit. That organic one did, though. I think it was called "Drunkerton's" or something. Vile, awful bacon-piss.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Kanastrous wrote:Why would you drink anything but beer, at a beer festival...?
Because it's there and you paid the cover? I try to maintain a theme when I go to the one downtown here, and if they had enough different ciders I'd totally have at it.
The Spartan wrote:Anyone else have similar such, let's say, adventures?
A couple weeks ago, I somehow managed to buy a sixpack of beer without noticing that it was passion fruit flavor until I tasted it.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker