"Rate my Rig" thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Is that really what RAM costs in Australia? I can get 4 GB for about half that at Newegg. Can't you just have it shipped? Even if int'l shipping costs $50, you'd still be spending about half for 2 GB instead of 1. Everything else looks OK, although I don't know why people pay so much for motherboards when you can get a perfectly good one for less, but I'm sure you have your reasons. I'd try to get OEM versions of the MS software, though.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:Is that really what RAM costs in Australia? I can get 4 GB for about half that at Newegg. Can't you just have it shipped? Even if int'l shipping costs $50, you'd still be spending about half for 2 GB instead of 1. Everything else looks OK, although I don't know why people pay so much for motherboards when you can get a perfectly good one for less, but I'm sure you have your reasons. I'd try to get OEM versions of the MS software, though.
Uh...this isn't me, this is for Stofsk.

I currently suggested he try looking for a cheaper motherboard with DDR2 RAM(notice he mentioned DDR3) but the rest looks fine. Thanks for the suggestion about OEM, I'll pass that on.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I've talked to Ace about this, but that pricelist is just nuts for AU prices. 2GB of DDR is about AU$100-120. An 8600GTS is about AU$250. A 320GB drive is AU$100.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Another question to the aussie members, stark, etc.
Stofsk: What is your recomondation for a " mid-range mother board to support DDR 2 RAM and if you can write more about "CPU" function ,purpose .
Ignoring the latter part, so find Stofsk a mobo.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Alright, I'm going from

Custom built PC

* Windows XP Pro (32-bit)
* Unknow[sic] Processor (1.4GHz)
* 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256 (Supposedly paired, but one memory slot doesn't work))
* GeForce, 128MB something-er-other
* 30GB and 160GB hard drives
* DVD Drive and DVD-RW Drive
* Integrated sound

to

HP Pavilion d4995t customizable Desktop PC

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q6600 (2.4GHz)
* 3GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024,2x512)
* 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT, TV-out, DVI-I, HDMI
* 400GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
* 15-in-1 memory card reader, 3 USB, 1394, audio
* Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
* Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months
* Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student Edition 2007
* HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
* HP w1907 19-inch Widescreen Flat-Panel Monitor

I'm not super happy about the Vista, but I'm sure it will get better, and I'll get used to it eventually. As for the rest, it's obviously ridiculously more powerful than my current system.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

If you're planning on doing any gaming, I'd bump up the video card a notch or three, even if it means a dual-core proc instead of quad. 8600 GTS is the minimum I would consider for a new system that was going to be playing games. 8800 GTS would be a lot better, but I don't know what your budget is like.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Wouldn't the straight 6600s be more expensive than a 6650 or a 6750? As Arthur says, that 8500 is a piece of shit, you want at least the highend 8600 or a lowend 8800.
DesertFly

Post by DesertFly »

That sucks. The higher option was a 640MB 8800GTS, but it was $420 more--not exactly in my price range. Looking on Newegg I've found some 512MB 8600GTSs for under $200, but they are by different manufacturers: EVGA, Biostar, XFX. Does the company branding matter? The 8800s are currently out of my price range altogether.

On a related note, I've gotten the monitor, and it's nice. Unfortunately, the computer I currently am running doesn't have a graphics card that can support it, so I'm stuck with lower performance and a stretched screen until my new one is built and delivered.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Get EVGA for the warrenty I suppose. You don't need 512MB for a fucking mid range card though.
DesertFly

Post by DesertFly »

Why not? I figure the more the merrier. And this whole thing is kind of a moot point anyway. I'll be perfectly happy playing Oblivion and The Orange Box and Dawn of War through the end of the year, plus some older stuff that I have and wasn't able to have at full settings. I'll upgrade sometime next year, when something comes along that will require it. And no, Crysis ain't it.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

DesertFly wrote:Why not? I figure the more the merrier. And this whole thing is kind of a moot point anyway. I'll be perfectly happy playing Oblivion and The Orange Box and Dawn of War through the end of the year, plus some older stuff that I have and wasn't able to have at full settings. I'll upgrade sometime next year, when something comes along that will require it. And no, Crysis ain't it.
More RAM only helps if the card is powerful enough to feed all that memory. In this case, there is no difference whatsoever between 512 and 256 MB for an 8600 GTS except price. They only produce the 512 MB version to trap unsuspecting buyers into giving them extra money. This will not change for future games, either, because the 8600 won't be able to run them well at settings that benefit from more than 256 MB. 512 MB on an 8500 GT is like a gigantic spoiler on a stock Honda Civic DX (something we've all seen a few times). The car could scarcely go fast enough to use the thing if you pushed it off a cliff.

Anyway, the three games you mentioned will not run all that well on an 8500 GT, and I really don't see the point of getting a system with 3 gigs of RAM and a fast processor only to slap on a card that can't even run Oblivion, more than a year and a half old, at high settings. With a quality card, you might not even feel the need to upgrade again next year. I certainly don't upgrade every year.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Actually, a gigantic spoiler on a Civic is never useful, no matter the speed, because it's pushing down on the wrong part of the car. But I digress. I'd suggest getting whatever card is the absolute cheapest, and replacing it with an 8800 of some variety.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
DesertFly

Post by DesertFly »

Well dang, the thing shipped today. I'll just have to save more of my pennies and upgrade to a new card, probably around Christmastime. I'm guessing a 640MB 8800GT is what I'll be wanting, right?
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

DesertFly wrote:Well dang, the thing shipped today. I'll just have to save more of my pennies and upgrade to a new card, probably around Christmastime. I'm guessing a 640MB 8800GT is what I'll be wanting, right?
It's 512 MB, and yes. That seems like it will be quite the sweet spot between performance and price when it hits shelves in a couple of weeks. Anyway, don't despair too much. 8500 GT's are dirt cheap, and at least this way you'll have a backup card if something goes wrong with your primary. $420 extra for an 8800 GTS is robbery, so just be glad you didn't pay that.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Well, after having 3 AMD systems, I've decided to finally go with Intel. I was thinking about going with this:

New hardware:
Antec P180B case
Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0 GHz
EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR
2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066
EVGA 8800GT 512MB, factory-overclocked to 700MHz

Existing hardware that will be reused:
650W Antec TruePower Trio PSU
Lite-On 16x DVD±RW DL drive
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM drive
6-in-1 Card Reader/Floppy Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA 3.0
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Belkin Wireless 54g card
ViewSonic VX922 monitor
Razer Copperhead mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech X-540 speakers

I'm going for something that can run Crysis at a decent framerate at decent-looking settings at my monitor's native res, 1280x1024. I usually worry about texture/geometry/effects quality before things like AA, but 8xAF is a must. I'm just going for 1 video card for now, but I kept SLI in mind for the future. I also needed at least 2 PCI slots for my sound card and wireless card. Thoughts?
Last edited by Executor32 on 2007-11-06 01:59am, edited 1 time in total.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

If you're buying right now, switch the GTS to a GT, though OCed, the GTS might win, the GT is far cheaper.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

You'd have to OC a GTS pretty high to beat a GT, even disregarding that GT's OC better than GTS's anyway. The GTS is 100% obsolete now.

Anyway, the rig looks great, but I doubt you'll see any real difference between an E6850 and E6750. Seeing as how the former is $100 more, I'd personally either save the money or get a Q6600 for the same price as the E6850.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

According to the power supply calculator on Antec's website, assuming a 90% PSU load and 30% capacitor aging (since I'll probably keep this PSU for a while), my system would draw 611 watts with two 8800 Ultras in SLI (they don't have the 8800GT in the drop-down list yet). If I decide to go SLI in the future, it should be able to handle 2 8800GTs, right?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Executor32 wrote:According to the power supply calculator on Antec's website, assuming a 90% PSU load and 30% capacitor aging (since I'll probably keep this PSU for a while), my system would draw 611 watts with two 8800 Ultras in SLI (they don't have the 8800GT in the drop-down list yet). If I decide to go SLI in the future, it should be able to handle 2 8800GTs, right?
Yes.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

All right, here's the real kicker then: is it possible, with Easy Transfer or some other means, to keep all of my programs and files while only using one hard drive?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Executor32 wrote:Well, after having 3 AMD systems, I've decided to finally go with Intel.
Ditto

Ordered my upgrades yesterday which consist of

Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6750 2.66 4M 1333 MHz LGA775
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P- P35 QC 1333FSB 4DDRII1066 2Pe16 3Pe1 2P 8S2 8CA GL 1394 12
Team Xtreem DARK DDR2 800 Mhz PC6400, C4-4-4-12, 2 x 1Gb DC kit
XFX GF 8800GT 600M 512MB DDR3 PCI-E TV/DUAL DVI
Samsung 500GB 7200 SATAII SAMSUNG SPINPOINT T166 16MB 8.9MS
Samsung DVD-RW S203D 20X SATA BLACK + NERO7 OEM
Coolermaster RC-690-KKN1-GP DOMINATOR
BE QUIET! STRAIGHT POWER 650W RETAIL

(My early adopter friends all have a Geforce GTS or GTX ultra. I'm glad I've waited. Still need to wait for at least 10 days probably for it to arrive)
Last edited by wautd on 2007-11-21 12:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Due to my pc's GPU kerploding, I'm in the market for a new pc and got this beaut of an offer a company we work with, comments?

Thermaltek case - VC3000
Thermaltek power supply - 600W
Gigabyte motherboard - P35-DS3P (Socket775 Dual PCI-E, 4 DDr2 slots with up to 1333MHZ supported)
Quad CORE Q6600
4 gigs of Kingston 1066 DDR2 RAM
A 8800GTS 640MB, 32 bit GPU! (In about a month he'll have 8800GT available, 512 MB. I'm thinking of waiting for it, but I'm not sure if i should if I'm getting such a beast of a rig anyway, it'll cut costs by by 1-2 hundred dollars, probably, maybe).
A DVDrw drive and a 320 GB 7,200 RPM HD. (There's room for 4 HDs , so I'll be able to keep my two old hd's with room for a new one in the future).

Total price including a 3 Year warranty is 1,835 US dollars/ 7,300 shekels, Tax included.

Looks pretty sweet (to put it mildly) but I wanted to ask your advice on technical compatability, and whether I should wait for a 8800 GT instead of the GTS. (I know there are rumours of a redesigned GTS in the future?)..

I didn't ask if the OS is included, it probably is, but I can get a vista OEM for dirt cheap anyway, I just need to decide which vista version.
Last edited by The Grim Squeaker on 2007-11-21 08:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:If you're planning on doing any gaming, I'd bump up the video card a notch or three, even if it means a dual-core proc instead of quad.
Isn't a dual-core better suited than a quad-core for gaming anyway?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

wautd wrote:
Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:If you're planning on doing any gaming, I'd bump up the video card a notch or three, even if it means a dual-core proc instead of quad.
Not percise. It's more that currently very few games utilise more then two cores if that.
However, I'm personally a fan of more cores, mostly because of usability advantage.
You're an MMO player right? Eve?
If it's running, windowed or such, and it's taking up two cores, having atleast another core for browsing, music and such is alot more comfortable.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Ace Pace wrote:
wautd wrote:

If it's running, windowed or such, and it's taking up two cores, having atleast another core for browsing, music and such is alot more comfortable.
Oh I bet yeah. I currently still have an AMD Athlon 3000+ and I regulary play with 2 clients at the same time so I'm pretty used to dire circumstances. Can't wait for my new rig :)