Haddaway's "What is Love?"

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Haddaway's "What is Love?"

Post by Big Orange »

"What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more..." :)

I still like this early 1990s mega-hit, that made it to number one in seven countries in 1993 across Europe, was typically a monster hit in Britain (when we were drowing in trashy dance music from 1989 to 1995) and was also a giant hit in North America. In the Summer of 1993 there was no place in the holiday resort I went into to where they were not playing it and it was as impossible to avoid as 2 Unlimited's "No Limit". Today (like any successful one hit wonder) it has still got a large cult following among millions and Saturday Night Live even made a popular mid 1990s comedy sketch around it as well (that was later made into a movie):

Night at the Roxbury

*NAA-NAA* "OOOHHH-WOOOOOAAAHHH-OOOOHHHHWWOOAAAAH-AAAAH-HAAAAAAH…" *NAA-NAA*
"OOOOHHH-WOOOOOAAAHHH-OOOHHHHWWOOAAAAH-AAAAH-HAAAAAAH…" :lol:
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Argh, now it's in my head too!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Now I am compelled to link to the ultimate flash parody of this. See the Trek and Wars versions in particular.
NetKnight
Youngling

Post by NetKnight »

Starglider wrote:Now I am compelled to link to the ultimate flash parody of this. See the Trek and Wars versions in particular.
:lol: Awesome.
I wish to propose for the reader's favorable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it.
-Bertrand Russell

-"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars."
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

This is one of my "guilty pleasure" electronica songs. I listen to it on a regular basis. :D
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

NetKnight wrote:
Starglider wrote:Now I am compelled to link to the ultimate flash parody of this. See the Trek and Wars versions in particular.
:lol: Awesome.
The Trek and Wars spoofs had funny animation, but I preferred the various videogame versions (with 80s/90s graphics) and felt drawn Manga spoof.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Big Orange wrote:The Trek and Wars spoofs had funny animation, but I preferred the various videogame versions (with 80s/90s graphics) and felt drawn Manga spoof.
Musically the best variant was clearly 'what doth love be?', even if it was a very short loop. But do you have any idea who those female anime characters were? I didn't recognise them.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Starglider wrote:
Big Orange wrote:The Trek and Wars spoofs had funny animation, but I preferred the various videogame versions (with 80s/90s graphics) and felt drawn Manga spoof.
Musically the best variant was clearly 'what doth love be?', even if it was a very short loop. But do you have any idea who those female anime characters were? I didn't recognise them.
I dunno, but I felt the best original music version belonged to the Manga one with the Judo/Karate master, businessman in glasses and baseball cap kid. Haddaway's "What is Love?" is very camp and cheesy, typical of early to mid 1990s dance music, don't get me wrong, but it was/is vastly better than dreary rubbish like gangsta rap or garage then and now.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I really like this cartoon set to the song.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Big Orange wrote:
Starglider wrote:
I dunno, but I felt the best original music version belonged to the Manga one with the Judo/Karate master, businessman in glasses and baseball cap kid. Haddaway's "What is Love?" is very camp and cheesy, typical of early to mid 1990s dance music, don't get me wrong, but it was/is vastly better than dreary rubbish like gangsta rap or garage then and now.
The female anime character was Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, the drawn characters (judo man, baseball cap kid) were from Earthbound/Mother series of games.
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Covenant wrote: The female anime character was Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, the drawn characters (judo man, baseball cap kid) were from Earthbound/Mother series of games.
Hmmm, when did the Earthbound/Mother franchise and what system? My favourite videogame animation of the lounge lizard head-bangers was the one with the Nes graphics (Jim Carrey was well rendered and the guy from Elf looks like a gurning goblin :) ).
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Quick, inform Homeland Security! We have positive proff that OmegaGuy has developed weapons of mass fail!

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Zor wrote:
Quick, inform Homeland Security! We have positive proff that OmegaGuy has developed weapons of mass fail!

Zor
We had that the last time he posted an epicly UN-funny YYMND link... and the time before that... and the time before that... and so on, and so on, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Adrian Laguna wrote:I really like this cartoon set to the song.
Did you access the secret alternative ending by clicking on certain pop-up objects? There was another great tune ("Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney & Wings) and more hilarious moments (like the burning city and the horny yuppie trying to murder the tramp after being zapped by the anti-Cherub gun).
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote: We had that the last time he posted an epicly UN-funny YYMND link... and the time before that... and the time before that... and so on, and so on, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam
Yeah, I can recognize the Shatman and Vader, but who is the third guy suppose to be? I just see a flaming head... :roll:
NetKnight
Youngling

Post by NetKnight »

Big Orange wrote:Yeah, I can recognize the Shatman and Vader, but who is the third guy suppose to be? I just see a flaming head... :roll:
Lex Luthor, I think.
I wish to propose for the reader's favorable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it.
-Bertrand Russell

-"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars."
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

NetKnight wrote: Lex Luthor, I think.
From the recent Superman Returns I suppose, which I'm often told is awful or disappointing. What the heck happened to Spacey Luthor? :wtf:

And here is some more retro-rubbish late 80s/early 90s music:

"I'm serious as cancer when I say rythm is a dancer!" :P

"Rythm is a Dancer" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9c5otT-RUA* - by Snap

And...

"Reach out and touch me..." :wink:

"Personal Jesus" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzsxEC-psA* - by Depeche Mode

*If I dress up my links they often seem to get broken
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Big Orange wrote:
Covenant wrote: The female anime character was Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, the drawn characters (judo man, baseball cap kid) were from Earthbound/Mother series of games.
Hmmm, when did the Earthbound/Mother franchise and what system? My favourite videogame animation of the lounge lizard head-bangers was the one with the Nes graphics (Jim Carrey was well rendered and the guy from Elf looks like a gurning goblin :) ).
Earthbound (or Mother 2, IIRC) was released on SNES. Mother 3 was recently released only in Japan. It will never be translated into English, except by Fans.