My Faith for the Future of the U.S. is Shattered

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dargos
Jedi Knight

My Faith for the Future of the U.S. is Shattered

Post by Dargos »

As some of you may know, I am an American citizen who chooses to live and work in Germany. Recently, on one of my business travels, I was close to home and decided to visit my brother. His niece by marriage was there with several of her friends (avg. age 15). My brother introduces me to them and explains to them that I live in Europe. I was overwhelmed by their stupidity.
The following is an almost verbatim transcript of the discussion I had with them.

Niece "Wow! You live in Germany? What’s it like there? What kind of stuff is over there?"

Me "Well..what do you want to know?"

F1 "Do you have, you know, TV and stuff?"

Me (with a completely serious voice and face) " We are still attempting to recover from WWII over there, so no TV."

F1, 2,3 and Niece "What?! Really! WOW!"

F2 "So what do you guys do?"

Me (still with a serious voice and face) "Well, after a hard day of hunting and gathering, the village gathers around the communal fire and the Village Elders tell us of the Old days, before the Great Destruction."

F1, 2,3 and Niece "Whoa"

F3 "So you guys don't have cars and stuff?"

Me "No, no cars buses or trains, except for the American military, that’s how I originally came to be in Germany. We still have an occupation force there to prevent them from becoming aggressive. The average German has travel by foot and if they are lucky, horse. But most people feel that a horse is much too valuable to be used only for a means of transportation."

Niece "What do you mean"

Me " Well, without horses the few who still able to farm land, wouldn't be able to."

F2 "Is that why you guys have to go hunting and looking for food?"

Me "Yes. WWII really screwed Europe up.. with all the Nuclear weapons used there, its really amazing that anyone lives there at all."

F3 "Yep, we just learned something about that is school."

F1 (Probably the most intelligent of the group) "Hey! Wait a minute, if Germany is so screwed up.. than how did you get over here?"

Me "Because I'm American. I just choose to live there so I can help them rebuild."

F1, 2,3 and Niece "Oh." "Cool" "that’s really nice of you"

(By this time my brother is almost blue in the face from trying not to laugh his ass off)

I am 100% serious when I say that this episode truly took place and that they BELIEVED ME!! While incredibly funny...its also very sad to see four preadults so very very stupid.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Thats pretty funny and pretty damn sad. There were kids that dumb when we went to school ( I belive you and I are close in age. ) but I would not be surprised if it has gotten worse.

The sad thing about history in school is I never remember ever spending anything but token amounts of time on the last 100 years.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

LOL :lol:

That is SO American mainstream teens these days :D

I'm one of these so-called "American teens" as well, but thankfully I'm not mainstream :mrgreen:
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Twenty two years ago, we moved from Ohio to L.A. My first day of school, I was asked if we spoke English in Ohio. Your story does not shock or suprise me in the slightest.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Don't forget the Vikings from Sweden, Norway and Denmark that raids the village for food and women 1-2 times / year :D
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Faram wrote:Don't forget the Vikings from Sweden, Norway and Denmark that raids the village for food and women 1-2 times / year :D
Damn...I wish I would have thought of that. :D
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Welcome to the result of TV replacing reading.......I'll bet between the three of them outside of English class book reports they don't read a single book a year. Add to this an educational system castrated of any sense of challenge or possibility of failure, where student affirmation is more important than learning......and you get these little idiots. Dont take me wrong here, Im attacking the system that allows such things to happen rather than the person that it happens to. Our current society is breeding a crop of dolts unlike anything in the past, comfortable, pampered , never really knowing hardship or self sacrifice.......the next century is going to eat them alive.... :x
BotM
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Before you get to happy, Oh Glorious Europeans, remember that America, land of stupid people, is despite being said land, still the strongest nation on the planet.....

.....Can you imagine what we'd have done by now if we were all brilliant?

......Well, okay, I admit that's impossible.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

Dargos, why don't you try to convince them that you are the Heir to the Holy Roman Empire, and that you're planning to invade Israel to reestablish the Old Latin Kingdom.

Arn't we scared that this country is ruling over us?
"There is only one [True Spoon], only one who can wield it. And he does not share [Spoons]."
-Gandalf
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Frank Hipper wrote:Twenty two years ago, we moved from Ohio to L.A. My first day of school, I was asked if we spoke English in Ohio. Your story does not shock or suprise me in the slightest.
Hell, I live in L.A.!

The stupidity isn't limited to history. Basic physics is another thing that many people can't grasp; they don't seem to realize that if you are doing 100 MPH around a tight freeway interchange (usually rated for ~45 MPH) that you're begging to be sent flying sideways by inertia.

We're talking about people who couldn't find their asshole with two hands and a map.

No wonder America is so rapidly becoming, in essence, a country of stupid peasants ruled by manipulative bureaucrats. :roll:
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Jeez...when I was 8 years old, I was aware of the Gulf War going on. By 9 or 10, I had a whole pile of military books (most of the books still exist), I knew more about military hardware than most adults. By 12 or 13 I was reading Tom Clancy....and these FIFTEEN year-olds thinks Germany is a nuclear wasteland???
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

kheegan wrote:Jeez...when I was 8 years old, I was aware of the Gulf War going on. By 9 or 10, I had a whole pile of military books (most of the books still exist), I knew more about military hardware than most adults. By 12 or 13 I was reading Tom Clancy....and these FIFTEEN year-olds thinks Germany is a nuclear wasteland???
We're all a bunch of brainy nerds. :D I have no doubt whatsoever that you still know more about military hardware than most adults.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Frank Hipper wrote:
kheegan wrote:Jeez...when I was 8 years old, I was aware of the Gulf War going on. By 9 or 10, I had a whole pile of military books (most of the books still exist), I knew more about military hardware than most adults. By 12 or 13 I was reading Tom Clancy....and these FIFTEEN year-olds thinks Germany is a nuclear wasteland???
We're all a bunch of brainy nerds. :D I have no doubt whatsoever that you still know more about military hardware than most adults.
Heh...sometime in my teens my interest shifted more into science fiction, so my military knowledge is 5 years outdated and at least...and compared with some of the guys here I know absolutely NOTHING about the military...I could tell you a thing or two about spacecraft design and rocket science though. :D
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

You should of spoken about the Holy Crusades to Palestine and Antioch.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

This really doesn't suprise me. My friend went on a basketball tour of the US west coast (about 6 years ago) and had convinced people that we all ride kangaroos around the town (The first motherfucker to say; you mean you don't! (or to that effect) will get SLAPED!). And when travelling, I was hanging around a hostel, and this American guy asked a Dutch guy; you mean you're NOT part of Germany?! The look on the Dutch guy's face was hillarious.

Seriously though, America's geography teachers should be shot!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Crown wrote:This really doesn't suprise me. My friend went on a basketball tour of the US west coast (about 6 years ago) and had convinced people that we all ride kangaroos around the town (The first motherfucker to say; you mean you don't! (or to that effect) will get SLAPED!). And when travelling, I was hanging around a hostel, and this American guy asked a Dutch guy; you mean you're NOT part of Germany?! The look on the Dutch guy's face was hillarious.

Seriously though, America's geography teachers should be shot!
Everyone knows you can't ride a kangaroo..

You aussies ride the mighty osteridge(sp?) :D
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Crown wrote: Seriously though, America's geography teachers should be shot!
Actually...

"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography...."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Faram wrote:Everyone knows you can't ride a kangaroo..

Ostrich.

I suppose that if the kangaroo was big enough, you might be able to fit into its joey pouch...
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Crown wrote:Seriously though, America's geography teachers should be shot!
That would be far too quick and painless a death. They're utterly worthless human beings who need to suffer painfully for turning out such globally ignorant kids. Would you like an example? Until I was about 17, I thought the capital of Australia was Sydney. :oops: Did I find out the truth in school? No, an older friend of mine corrected me one day. Believe it or not, the conversation started with me saying "Where's Canberra?"

I hang my head in shame from the memory.
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Crayz9000 wrote:

Ostrich.

I suppose that if the kangaroo was big enough, you might be able to fit into its joey pouch...
http://www.orionsarm.com/races/Siberoo.html

OA strikes again. :P
「かかっ―」
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Captain Kruger wrote:
Crown wrote:Seriously though, America's geography teachers should be shot!
That would be far too quick and painless a death. They're utterly worthless human beings who need to suffer painfully for turning out such globally ignorant kids.
How about shot and left to bleed to death?
Rathark
Padawan Learner

Post by Rathark »

Crayz9000 wrote:I suppose that if the kangaroo was big enough, you might be able to fit into its joey pouch...
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... uch#220971

Every American here knows that this linked post of mine was a joke, right? RIGHT!!???
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Crayz9000 wrote:How about shot and left to bleed to death?
Only if we can be sure they won't get medical attention.
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Crayz9000 wrote:

Ostrich.

[american teen] Who's Joey? [/american teen]
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Before you get to happy, Oh Glorious Europeans, remember that America, land of stupid people, is despite being said land, still the strongest nation on the planet.....

.....Can you imagine what we'd have done by now if we were all brilliant?
Ha! If you had been brilliant, you would all be coming to Sweden to learn the secrets of yümmy føød!

Bork bork bork.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe