Some Stuff

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Some Stuff

Post by Kanastrous »

Last edited by Kanastrous on 2008-10-18 10:10am, edited 5 times in total.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Dude, you are incredible! I haven't got a uterus, but I want your baby! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Ha! I knew I should be starstuck! Man, Kanastrous, that is really awesome! Thanks so much for sharing these! I hope there is more to come (If you're authorized to share, that is.)

Again, Thank you!!!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Well, thanks, you're very kind!
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

*Reads imdb page.* Dude, you were a Drazi? Kickass!

Umm, nice art-dump, too.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I was an airsick Drazi.

Barfing in Jerry Doyle's lap was the high point of the show, for me...
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Re: Some Stuff

Post by Cosmic Average »

Kanastrous wrote:From my hard drive at work...
*SNIP*
Do you have a bigger version of the Ennis-Brown House Interior? It looks cool.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I have a higher-res file on another drive.

Those are actually frames from an animated fly-through.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Woah woah woah woah WOAH

That is AWESOME. Any chance of higher-res version of that? (I loved Seaquest.)

Also, did you make these?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Yes; I designed sets for the pilot, was a playback-graphics designer/animator for seasons 1-2, and playback supervisor for season 3.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Uraniun235 wrote:
That is AWESOME. Any chance of higher-res version of that? (I loved Seaquest.)
Seconded. Higher res would be neat.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

The original frames were 640x480 (or 704x480).

I'll see about putting them up.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

are you allowed to tell us what you're working on currently? (Or better yet, SHOW us?) *puppy dog*
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Kanastrous wrote:The original frames were 640x480 (or 704x480).

I'll see about putting them up.
You could always put them in a zip archive and use rapidshare for ease of sharing. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

What art proggie did you use for the mechanical drawings? Or were they done by hand and scanned in?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

The drawings are all hand-work, except for the two 'G-Force' illos, which were modeled in Lightwave and rendered in Sketchup.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Kanastrous wrote:Yes; I designed sets for the pilot, was a playback-graphics designer/animator for seasons 1-2, and playback supervisor for season 3.
Holy shit, that is AWESOME!

Man, I love the sets in season 1, especially the bridge. That's my favorite bridge of all televised sci-fi. The animations on those big screens really contributed a lot as well.

Were those just big rear-projection screens they used for the large displays?
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Yeah, the big displays up front were rear-screens fed by Eiki LCD projectors. The smaller displays were direct-view LCDs and - briefly - we had a hemispherical 'navigation display' fed from underneath by a smaller projector. The side-displays were also rear-screen setups.

I only did bits and pieces of the bridge; the control console units (and there's a horror story...), the dolphin tank, and the VR Probe control station.

The Moon Pool/Sea Deck was my main set.

I also liked the look of the bridge, a lot, but it always struck me as weird, having this enormous unbraced volume of space, in a submarine, inside a pressure hull. But hey, it looked cool, and it was just a tv show...
Last edited by Kanastrous on 2007-11-01 04:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I saw the sniper system and accessories, including the "sniper snacks". That made me laugh.

Incredible work dude! What are you doing now?
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I'm Art Directing on a Bruckheimer feature, "G-Force," at Culver Studios.

And, as you can see, I'm in my office, on Saturday.

Wheeee.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Some more stuff...

*edit*

moved up the page, to keep stuff together...
Last edited by Kanastrous on 2007-11-02 07:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Gasp! The One! I am Nobody's Bitch!

Did you come up with that awesome font in The One as well?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Oh gawd...there's a story surrounding that font...

The short version: it's a commercially available font; comes with any one of a number of font collections.

I worked together with the Graphic Designer, creating those backlit panels (he did about half of the individual panels; I did about half) and that font was *his* choice...so the Production Designer walks by, looks at the font, sez he likes, it, and the Graphic Designer says something like, yeah, I created that font! The PD nods, walks off, and an hour later is at my desk, asking did so-and-so *really* create that font, it being obvious that he knew damn well that it was off-the-shelf, and the GD was snowing him.

So I mumbled something about it being, like, a basic commercial font that the guy had adapted, or something...

That Graphic Designer does not work, any more. No mystery, why.

He had also created most of the control-panel graphics for the Quantum Tunneler Machine itself, and convinced the producers that, well, they should put him in costume, and he should play the operator, since "the controls are laid out with a certain logic, and he can't teach an extra to work them and make it look real."

So during a take where Jason Statham yanks the operator away from the console, so as to get at the controls, he gets a little too into it, and basically flings the guy face-first into the wall of the set, hard enough that he had to go to the medic with a bloody nose and take the rest of the day...

...but he's in the movie!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:lol:

That is so awesome. Well, sucks to be him. At least he's...well, not famous. Damn!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I only did bits and pieces of the bridge; the control console units (and there's a horror story...),
Can it be story time please? :)
What is Project Zohar?