NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

And the Bills win in a snoozer. Held the Jets to ~220 total yards, with three sacks and three turnovers. Our offense was typically atrocious, but the jets are just plain awful so it ended up not mattering. Does anyone have a sawed off pool cue they can lend, so that I may fend off the Losman fanboys?

Next week is Cincinnati at the Ralph. Vegas has us at +2. I wonder how Mssrs. Johnson and Palmer think of the booky's saying there a just a stiff tail wind better than Buffalo.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I watched the game at a bar near the Ralph and the general consensus was that they might as well have just bussed both defenses to the stadium and let them rumble.
JADAFETWA
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Since when do the Ben-Gals deserve to be favorites over anyone? What a gutless team. I'd take the Bills in Buffalo if the pussycats got two.

Speaking of pussies, I see a couple of Redskins crying like little bitches because the Patriots ran up the score on them. Well there's a cure for that: TACKLE THEM! I'd rather choke on my own vomit than cry in public like Randall Godfrey did. What happened to "Don't get mad -get even"? Candyassed motherfucker.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:Since when do the Ben-Gals deserve to be favorites over anyone? What a gutless team. I'd take the Bills in Buffalo if the pussycats got two.

Speaking of pussies, I see a couple of Redskins crying like little bitches because the Patriots ran up the score on them. Well there's a cure for that: TACKLE THEM! I'd rather choke on my own vomit than cry in public like Randall Godfrey did. What happened to "Don't get mad -get even"? Candyassed motherfucker.
Seriousely, since when is continuing to score points until the end of the game considered a bad thing? I hate the shit out of the Patriots, but not for that.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

HEY!! Where the fuck are my picks?!?! DAMNIT! I must not have hit submit. Well they wouldn't have been any good, I WAS DRUNK AS FUCK when I tried to post 'em.

Whaaaaa The Patriots steal our signals. WHAAAAA The Patriots run up the score. Whaaaaaa The Patriots beat us. The Patriots are too good. WHAA WHAA WHAA.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I think next week will be interesting, with the Pats and the Colts. The Colts don't have the high-scoring shenanigans of the doggy-style minutemen, but they've shown an ability to control the clock that New England hasn't. The DSM have had one of the easiest schedules in the league (combined record of opponents: 24-34). Only two of Indy's opponents have records below .500, and those are the 3-5 Texans and 3-4 Saints.

As far as running up the score, I don't have a problem with continuing to play hard, but leaving your starting QB in until you're up 45 points is taking a stupid risk. All it takes is one freak hit, and he's out for the season or permanently.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Time to fire the first shots, methinks.

Washington at New York Jets
San Francisco at Atlanta
Arizona at Tampa Bay
Green Bay at Kansas City
Cincinnati at Buffalo
San Diego at Minnesota
Denver at Detroit
Carolina at Tennessee
Jacksonville at New Orleans
Seattle at Cleveland
Houston at Oakland
New England at Indianapolis
Dallas at Philadelphia
Baltimore at Pittsburgh
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Flagg wrote: Seriousely, since when is continuing to score points until the end of the game considered a bad thing? I hate the shit out of the Patriots, but not for that.
My only objection to running up the score is that Buddy Ryan kind of retired the trophy twenty years ago against Dallas and it was fucking hilarious!

During the Strike in 1987, none of the Eagles crossed the picket lines, while a number of Cowboys did. So the Cowboy regulars kicked the shit out of the 100% scab team the Eagles fielded, including putting their starters on the field late in final period to stop Philly from getting an "oh-by-the-way" score. Buddy took this as an insult, but rather than crying like a bitch, he waited until he got his regulars back and they pimp-slapped Dallas. But it wasn't enough. With only a few seconds left, Randall Cunningham did two kneeldown, then faked the third and lobbed a pass to Mike Quick. He didn't get a TD until the next play when Keith Byars ran it in as a final FUCK YOU, TOO! to Dallas.

Like Lynne Cheney, payback's a bitch! :twisted:

Did anyone see that retarded touchdown in the Chargers-Texans game? That was the most pathetic score I've ever seen.
:lol:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:Did anyone see that retarded touchdown in the Chargers-Texans game? That was the most pathetic score I've ever seen.
The punter trying to fall on the ball? HIlarious. :lol: BTW you should get NFL Network. The replays of the four-five best games are great
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

He ran the right distance into the endzone, he just missed the ball by ten feet to the right. Maybe he's cockeyed.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and tell you why I think the Patriots will lose to the Colts.

You notice that in their Miami game, even though the Patriots scored 49 points, the Dolphins, this fucking shit team with a shit offense, managed to put 28 points on the board? It seems to me that all a team has to do to beat the Patriots is have a damned good defense and at least a decent offense. That's pretty much the Colts, except that they have a damned good offense as well.

That seems to be the Patriots weakness. An inability to keep points off the board. And I think they are well aware of that, which is why they continue to play like the game is at stake and score points when other teams would bench their starters or play very conservatively.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Without several ridiculously dumb turnovers the Patriots/Browns game would have gone down to the last few minutes, too.

They're a very good team, but I, too, think the Colts will win. They seem to have had the Patriots figured out the last few times the 2 teams have played.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

What I have seen from watching the Patriots this year....

No pressure on Brady.

No hits on Patriots receivers going over the middle.

Playing against young/inexperienced/average offensive lines.

Look at the QBs they have lined up against as well...
  • Pennigton: Benched
    Rivers: 2nd year starter
    Lossman: Benched
    Palmer: Struggling
    Anderson: Backup came of the bench
    Romo: 1st year starter
    Lemon: Backup came off the bench
    Cambel: 2nd year starter
With the exception of Palmer, who I just can't figure out, none of these guys are EVEN CLOSE to Manning, and most of them never will be. Not a shinning example of the best and brightest of NFL QBs. (You Cowboys fans can shut right the fuck up. until Romo doesn't have a complete 5 INT meltdown against the Bills for a few seasons)

The teams they faced, all have one glaring weakness, whether it is offense, defense or special teams or a important position, and most have more than one.

The World Champion, 3 wins in a row against the Patriots, helmed by the first ballot Hall of Fame, most prepared QB in the league, Peyton Manning, Colts... have none of the above mentioned problems.

Colts by TWO TDs. Suck on that. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It prediction time again boys and...well... boys.

Week 9

Sunday, November 04
WAS @ NYJ
SF @ ATL
ARI @ TB
GB @ KC
CIN @ BUF
SD @ MIN
DEN @ DET
CAR @ TEN
JAC @ NO
SEA @ CLE
HOU @ OAK
NE @ IND
DAL @ PHI

Monday, November 05
BAL @ PIT

Byes: Bears, Dolphins, Giants, Rams
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's picks:

Falcons
Bills (both the 49ers and Ben-gals have tried my patience too often)
Lions
Chiefs (I don't know how Herman Edwards does it, but he's once again sneaking a mediocre team towards the playoffs.)
Saints
Redskins
Chargers
Buccaneers
Browns
Raitards
Cowboys (Dallas is coming off a bye, plus Andy Reid...)
Steelers
Patriots
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'd prefer Indy to win, but that second DPI call was completely ridiculous.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Tom Brady: Whiniest bitch in football.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Pats squeak by 24-20.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Flagg wrote:Tom Brady: Whiniest bitch in football.
What happened?

Game of the week: Browns beat Seahawks in overtime. NFL cringing at the prospect of marketing the Browns super bowl.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Great game, though.

On the other side of the League, does anyone see ANY potential out of Alex Smith? The guy completes less than half his passes for <5 yards/attempt, and has thrown just 2 TD's this year compared to 10 turnovers. And this is against 8 man fronts as opponents try to contain Frank Gore. He has TERRIBLE arm strength, makes poor decisions, and frankly isn't all that mobile. His footwork, in particular, is abysmal in the pocket, which leads to the large number of sacks (and fumbles) that he commits. Watch the game against Atlanta. His interceptions were simply atrocious throws. He's not being pressured. He has time, steps up in the pocket, and throws it where only the DB's can get it (and they do catch them without any difficulties).

Also, what happened to the AFC West? They just got humbled this week, with the Chargers and Broncos getting killed by NFC North teams, and the Chiefs losing to GB. The Raiders also fell to Houston, but I suppose that's not even worth mentioning as a surprise. I wonder if the Chargers would still get rid of Marty, today.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Qwerty 42 wrote:
What happened?
He saw a pentalty that the refs didn't call and was flailing around like a little bitch. The entire Patriots team was acting like spoiled little shits when they were losing.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

WOO! Miami didn't lose!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Chardok wrote:WOO! Miami didn't lose!
Their perfect season is over! :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Master of Ossus wrote:Great game, though.

On the other side of the League, does anyone see ANY potential out of Alex Smith? The guy completes less than half his passes for <5 yards/attempt, and has thrown just 2 TD's this year compared to 10 turnovers. And this is against 8 man fronts as opponents try to contain Frank Gore. He has TERRIBLE arm strength, makes poor decisions, and frankly isn't all that mobile. His footwork, in particular, is abysmal in the pocket, which leads to the large number of sacks (and fumbles) that he commits. Watch the game against Atlanta. His interceptions were simply atrocious throws. He's not being pressured. He has time, steps up in the pocket, and throws it where only the DB's can get it (and they do catch them without any difficulties).
He seemed to be doing well when Norv Turner was the OC for the 49ers. Maybe if/when Turner gets fired in Sad Diego, he can go back to SF and pick up where he left off with Alex Smith.
Also, what happened to the AFC West? They just got humbled this week, with the Chargers and Broncos getting killed by NFC North teams, and the Chiefs losing to GB. The Raiders also fell to Houston, but I suppose that's not even worth mentioning as a surprise. I wonder if the Chargers would still get rid of Marty, today.
Yes. Chokenheimer had already run off much of the coaching staff and according to Nick Canepa of the Union-Tribune, went out of his way to goad the owner into firing him. The GM had decided he wanted Marty to stay, even though he didn't get along with the coach. The owner fired Schottenheimer. Marty probably did the right thing, since the GM gutted the defense and it shows. Now Marty can't be blamed for the team taking a nosedive.

I would have preferred Mike Martz. He also knows the system, so you wouldn't have to spend a year for the players to re-learn. Unlike Turner, he was a successful head coach who was one fumble away from winning a Super Bowl. If the Chargers tank this year (no playoffs), that's who they should hire.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

pick time again, and the dust hasn't even fallen in Pittsburgh.

Philadelphia at Washington- The Eagles aren't so hot this year, but that's not how I'm picking. I like Brian Dawkins and Donovan McNabb a lot. Maybe I'll like Washington when they can lose the racist name, because Campbell's pretty cool, it seems.
Buffalo at Miami- Buffalo's been so down on their luck their entire history, it's hard not to root them into January.
St. Louis at New Orleans
Minnesota at Green Bay
Denver at Kansas City
Cleveland at Pittsburgh
Atlanta at Carolina
Jacksonville at Tennessee- Watch this one. This has pretty big playoff implications. Lost in the shuffle of the Colts is how well the Titans and Jaguars are both playing.
Cincinnati at Baltimore- They're both pretty jerk-laden teams, but the Ravens are named after a Poe poem.
Dallas at New York Giants
Detroit at Arizona- Who would have thought that this game would have playoff implications? The Cardinals only need a win and a Seahawks loss to climb back to the top of the division- at 4-5.
Chicago at Oakland
Indianapolis at San Diego
San Francisco at Seattle