What makes a good dream sequence?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

What makes a good dream sequence?

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I'm fascinated by the depiction of dreams in novels and fanfics, and there are more than a few good ones in this forum. What goes into making a believable dream sequence that really feels like all kinds of suppressed and largely absurd (but rooted in psychological causes) phenomena are bursting out in a character's mind when you start writing?

PS: Visions or other Force/magic phenomena don't count.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

When I write dream sequences-- which are very rare in my stories-- I try to emphasize the emotional impact of these dreams, e.g., the dreamer is forced to confront the suppressed emotions that are released during the dream. The dream sequence in my latest story, on the other hand, is simply a fantasy in which the dreamer pictures a coworker as a knight in shining armor, come to save her.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)