Most Terrifyingly Inspirational '80s Songs

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

When I was a kid I watched Short Circuit 2 so many times I can practically RECITE 'I need a Hero'. There's actually a Browncoat (Firefly) music video set to that song.

Of course, nothing beats a punked-out Johnny 5 swinging from a construction crane to snatch a jewel thief from a speedboat. Really, the movie has everything.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Off to AMP...*sigh*
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I guess it's no shock that the 80's had enough inspirational songs on the charts to be able to actually compile a list of them, whereas in the 90's, you'd get further listing mumbly defeatist alt-rock anthems.
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:However, a list ranking 19-freakin'-80s songs about how much they inspire you to kick ass that not only has no Iron Maiden, but no metal at all is seriously fucked.
I prefer it this way. The "inspiration" they're thinking of seems to be more compatible with determined yuppies. Do you want to cheapen the best metal songs that way? :P
"Hell Patrol"?

"Nightcrawler"?
Painkiller may well be the most fucking metal album ever, but it was released in 1990.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I dunno about you lot, but all most metal inspires me to do is change the station. :P
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Where do you live, that you actually get metal on your radio stations? I'm lucky if I hear the odd Judas Priest track where I live, and even then it's usually a radio-friendly one like "You've Got Another Thing Comin'".
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

DEATH wrote:I'd have chosen another Queen song though, "We Will rock You", "Princes of The Universe", "I want it all", I can think of a half dozen better suited songs.
I also nominate "We Will Rock You" as a replacement for one of the songs that I can't even remember the lyrics to now.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

"We Will Rock You" was released in 1977.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

strangely princes of the universe, and Flash Gordon, were my tape cassette arcade game music of choice during the 80's...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

No "Jump" by Van Hallen? Strange.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

That list is what I would describe as "Dad music," music you can imagine people's dads dancing to at a wedding or perhaps birthday party when some overpaid parasite called a DJ does the job a laptop with winamp and 4 clicks could do.

Anyway, any list about 80s music that doesn't mention Slayer, Carcass and Run DMC is written by an enemy or someone's dad (or both).
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Zuul
Slayer and Carcass weren't exactly "inspirational". Terrifying, yes. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

of course as far as terriffying to dads, little can beat Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" but that was from the 70s

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:of course as far as terriffying to dads, little can beat Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" but that was from the 70s
Cat's In The Cradle always makes me feel uneasy because It was used here in the 80's as an anti-terrorist advert. AT the time it was very contravercial.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

To me, Queen's "Don't stop me now" beats all of them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs