NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Hilarious, the football god's smile upon San Diego.
Doesn't change the fact that I'm pissed Rivers played like ass and Norv Turner didn't help him any.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Even though Vinatieri is my kicker in Fantasy Football, I hate the fucking Colts and am glad they lost.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Archon wrote:Even though Vinatieri is my kicker in Fantasy Football, I hate the fucking Colts and am glad they lost.
I'll drink to that.
I'm still pissed off though, it's one of those kinda games.

Even if we win this god awful division this season'll have worn the team down to the bone by the post season. Not that I'm entertaining any such delusions of Lombardi Trophy's or some such nonsense. Our fucking coach does not know how to use his talent at all. The defense and special teams played their asses off and were just left out to dry by the offense.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Archon wrote:Even though Vinatieri is my kicker in Fantasy Football, I hate the fucking Colts and am glad they lost.
Vinatieri is the most overrated player in the history of football.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Wow. What a bizarre game.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

That penalty near the end was bullshit. Simulating a snap? How the fuck do they know the Colts weren't going to run a play to pick up the first down?

And then Vinatieri. The dude has one job. One freaking job, and he blows an easy kick.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:That penalty near the end was bullshit. Simulating a snap? How the fuck do they know the Colts weren't going to run a play to pick up the first down?
Because Manning stood up from the center at the same time the TE shifted, making it look like the ball had been snapped.
And then Vinatieri. The dude has one job. One freaking job, and he blows an easy kick.
Thank goodness for wet grass. When the #3 corner has more TDs over the last 3 games than the team's QB, the quarterback sucks. When the kick returner outscores the entire offense, the offense sucks. I don't see how Turner can be such an offensive mastermind when his playbook doesn't include a sweep.
:wanker:
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Elfdart wrote:
Because Manning stood up from the center at the same time the TE shifted, making it look like the ball had been snapped.
I'll have to watch that again if ESPN shows it, because I thought Manning didn't stand up until the flag was thrown.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
I'll have to watch that again if ESPN shows it, because I thought Manning didn't stand up until the flag was thrown.
You could be right, but that's what the umpire called.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Elfdart wrote:
KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
You could be right, but that's what the umpire called.
I thought it was just the way the TE stood up, which simulated the snap. I still can't believe how much Vinatieri sucks. Maybe that kick wasn't a "clutch situation," and can therefore be safely ignored by his "clutch factor" wankers?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Vinatieri's overly-touted skills when the game is on the line have always been bullshit. The first SB the Patriots won had more to do with the Rams' wideouts fumbling away two sure touchdowns than anything the kicker did. He did win a Super Bowl later, but Jim O'Brien also won a Lombardi with a last second kick under much worse conditions. If anyone tried wank over O'Brien's uber skillz in the clutch, they'd be pelted with rocks and garbage for being so goddamned stupid.
Revan's Fire
Youngling

Post by Revan's Fire »

Ha! Good teams find a way to win, and that's what the Steelers did. Not to underscore how hideously awful our special teams unit is (I'm already having nightmares of Wes Welker running through that mess on Dec 9) or one of the best catches of the season by Braylon Edwards, but we came back in the second half, and the Browns couldn't respond. What a nail-biter...
"If there's one thing I hate, it's voluptuous whores!"

"I am Advanced Recon Commando A-17, Republic Army, under the command of General Obi-Wan Kenobi. That is all I am authorized to reveal."-Clone Wars Volume 5, Dark Horse Comics
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Revan's Fire wrote:Ha! Good teams find a way to win, and that's what the Steelers did. Not to underscore how hideously awful our special teams unit is (I'm already having nightmares of Wes Welker running through that mess on Dec 9) or one of the best catches of the season by Braylon Edwards, but we came back in the second half, and the Browns couldn't respond. What a nail-biter...
If it's true good teams find a way to win... I'd have to remark that if I had to apply a common-saying to the Chargers game it might be "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Pessimism aside, we dominated 2/3 of that game for the entire game: defense and special teams made turnovers, got some sacks, got 2 TD's and helped the sad-sack offense play with short fields on the other 9 points. The offensive woes are still frustrating beyond reason especially since even though our record's varied wildly in the last 5 years, our offense has remained a strong point throughout until now and we arguably have the most talent on that side of the ball we've ever had! :roll: :evil: (disclaimer: in the Tomlinson era, I'll admit to being ignorant of the Don Coryell era) But pessimism aside as I said...

We are leading the NFL in interceptions this year, and Cromartie is the NFL and he just started his 1st game last week! A bunch of bones has been made @ signonsandiego.com and pundits alike how Merriman and Phillips sack and pressure production has dropped but then again, teams are taking shorter drops more consistently. Is it an accurate analogy to say that's like virtual attrition? :wink: (since they scale their playbook down before the game even starts?)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's winners:

Cowboys
49ers
Seahawks
Steelers
Texans
Packers
Colts
Bengals
Vikings
Eagles
Lions
Browns
Buccaneers
Chargers

Aw fuck it, I'll take the Bills, too.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Carolina at Green Bay
Oakland at Minnesota- No Pick
San Diego at Jacksonville
Arizona at Cincinnati
Kansas City at Indianapolis
New Orleans at Houston
New York Giants at Detroit
Cleveland at Baltimore
Miami at Philadelphia
Tampa Bay at Atlanta
Pittsburgh at New York Jets
Chicago at Seattle
Washington at Dallas- This feels weird to say
St. Louis at San Francisco
New England at Buffalo
Tennessee at Denver
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

I've been waiting for this day with a growing resentment of the sports establishment and a sense of impending doom. First, listening to sports punditry have a fap for the last week about just how much the Bills will lose by. Second, combining this with the fact that the Patriots are going to win by however much they want to win by, more or less.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Week 11

Sunday, November 18
CAR @ GB
OAK @ MIN
SD @ JAC
ARI @ CIN
KC @ IND
NO @ HOU
NYG @ DET
CLE @ BAL
MIA @ PHI
TB @ ATL
PIT @ NYJ
CHI @ SEA
WAS @ DAL
STL @ SF
NE @ BUF

Monday, November 19
TEN @ DEN
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart
You forgot the MNF again.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Give me the Donkeys at home.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

How the fuck are we making Baltimore look good? We're still up 27-20, but for the second week in a row it looks like we are doing our best to blow the game in the second half.... :x

Edit: Nevermind, they just fucking tied it. What the hell is this all about?
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Unimportant thoughts from the early games:

1. Oh, Vinatieri, he's SO CLUTCH! Everyone see the way he made that last-second FG to get the Colts the win, even with all that pressure on him? Greatest kicker in history. Definite Hall of Famer. What a guy. :roll:
2. Atlanta, Carolina, and Miami are just terrible teams.
3. New Orleans and Cincinatti aren't much better.
4. Fun little Baltimore-Cleveland match-up.
5. What the hell is wrong with SD?

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Havok, why the hell did you take the Fish? A horrible team playing in one of the most hostile arenas in football, and you take the D-phins (they used to be the Dolphins, but they have no OL). McNabb watched the Eagles win from the sidelines with Feeley at QB. :lol:
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

The Dark wrote:Havok, why the hell did you take the Fish? A horrible team playing in one of the most hostile arenas in football, and you take the D-phins (they used to be the Dolphins, but they have no OL). McNabb watched the Eagles win from the sidelines with Feeley at QB. :lol:
You know, that's actually pretty clever.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Jesus the Niners are awful. Helps if you gain SOME yards, sometimes.

At least Alex Smith isn't playing, today. Hopefully that means that the "Trent Dilfer" era will have started, since he came in and pretty well outplayed Alex Smith by completing almost half of his passes for 230 yards.

Edit: How about that? A legitimate FG drive! Yay!

Also, holy cow is Terrell Owens having a game. Eight catches for 170+ yards and FOUR TD's. :roll:

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Master of Ossus wrote:Jesus the Niners are awful. Helps if you gain SOME yards, sometimes.

At least Alex Smith isn't playing, today. Hopefully that means that the "Trent Dilfer" era will have started, since he came in and pretty well outplayed Alex Smith by completing almost half of his passes for 230 yards.

Edit: How about that? A legitimate FG drive! Yay!

Also, holy cow is Terrell Owens having a game. Eight catches for 170+ yards and FOUR TD's. :roll:
He should have batted for the cycle, and intercepted that Hail Mary that he broke up instead.
-Stuart