"Rate my Rig" thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I want to know if these are good parts:

Mobo: BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD $64.99
  • I'm looking for a full ATX mobo with 4 SATA II, 2 IDE slots, and quite a few PCI slots.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Black Edition $129.99
  • I'm not looking for anything spectacular right here. I plan on upgrading this at a later date. The only reason I selected this is because it gave me a $55 discount off of the memory.
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit $90.00
  • Has the $55 combo discount, plus a $40 mail-in rebate. All I'm looking for is a 2 x 1GB DDR2 Dual Channel package.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $119.99
  • Price before a $50 mail-in rebate.
Power Supply: Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W $84.99
  • Is Rosewill a good vendor?
Total comes to $434.96, plus $6.33 for shipping, then $90 in mail-in rebates
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Rosewill is Newegg's house brand, IIRC. I'd rather get a Corsair PSU.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

phongn wrote:Rosewill is Newegg's house brand, IIRC. I'd rather get a Corsair PSU.
A Corsair would be great, except they cost twice as much as the one I selected.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

You could get a Corsair 450W for around the same price (or a Seasonic 430W).
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

This a good one? It's OCZ...
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

OCZ isn't bad, but why do you need these very-high-wattage PSUs?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

phongn wrote:OCZ isn't bad, but why do you need these very-high-wattage PSUs?
Expandability. I've been using my current PSU for 4 years, and I'd like to get one that will be able to power any computer I can put together 4 years from now.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Expandability. I've been using my current PSU for 4 years, and I'd like to get one that will be able to power any computer I can put together 4 years from now.
In four years there may be yet another ATX extension changing the connectors around. At any rate if you really suspect that you're actually going to use all that energy, you should be spending more on a high-quality (Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, FSP/Fortron, etc.) PSU rather than look at how many watts the thing is labelled at (which can be exceedingly misleading)
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

A high-quality power supply should be a priority no matter how heavy a load is anticipated.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Not really a rig, but I'm looking for a new monitor and I would appreciate some help picking out the best monitor possible.

First possibility

Acer X221WA

CHF 349
22" widescreen TN panel, 1680 x 1050 resolution
1000:1 contrast, 300cd/m2 brightness, 5ms response time
VGA and DVI-D w/ HDCP

Second possibility

Philips 220WS8FS

CHF 334
22" widescreen TN panel with Anti-Glare, 1680 x 1050 resolution
1000:1 contrast, 300cd/m2 brightness, 5ms response time
VGA and DVI-D

Thanks for any help
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Check the warrenty and dead pixel policy as well, this will help you make a choice.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Ace Pace wrote:Check the warrenty and dead pixel policy as well, this will help you make a choice.
The Acer has a 24 month "bring-in" warranty, the Philips a 36 month "on-site" warranty.

The only thing mentioned about dead pixels in both descritions is:
This product is subject to the ISO norm 13406 pixel failure class II and thus can show pixel errors.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, and I was wondering about getting more RAM for games. The system currently has 512MB, and I would like another 512. Would I be able to buy that from something like Crucial? Which type of RAM would be best? And would I be able to transfer the new RAM to my next computer when I get a new one?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, and I was wondering about getting more RAM for games. The system currently has 512MB, and I would like another 512. Would I be able to buy that from something like Crucial? Which type of RAM would be best? And would I be able to transfer the new RAM to my next computer when I get a new one?
Crucial is solid but a bit more expensive than other brands. You can use their configuration system to find out what can go in your laptop. You will probably not be able to transfer your new RAM into a new computer.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I've been insanely busy with work recently, but on the plus side I finally have the budget to replace my workstations. I've decided to make a matched pair compliant with Hollywood Institute for AI (tm) standards as well as actual utility. So far I've bought the following non-performance-related parts;

2 x Lian Li Legacy PC-777 (modified to accept E-ATX motherboards)
2 x NorthQ Giant Reactor 1000W power supplies
4 x Zalman Reserator 1 V2 fanless water cooling systems
2 x DeCK Legend Keyboards
2 x Razer Diamondback Mice + Illuminated Mousepads

Yes I use software KVM (Synergy2 in fact) but sometimes it's just useful to have a keyboard/mouse for each computer. Plus now I have a neat case (EL)/keyboard/mouse/mousemat lighting theme going - blue on the silver machine, red on the black machine - and that's essential for Hollywood Institute for AI (tm) hardware approval (still need some blinkenlights of course...).

I've just ordered a couple of HP LP2065 20-inch LCD monitors; they're 1600 x 1200 and have the same width as a 30" widescreen is tall. I'm planning to get a Samsung-SyncMaster-305T after Christmas, which is 2,560 x 1,600, and should work well as the center monitor with the HPs in portrait mode on each side as secondary monitors (for viewing documentation, web pages etc). Since my old 5.1 hi-fi system is a) huge, b) out of date and c) now permenantly installed in the living room, I'll put in a new 7.1 system with hi-fi bookshelf speakers. This is of course another essential part of HIfAI compliance, so that once the AI turns sapient (and rouge) it can inform everyone in earshot of its superiority and plans for world domination in a sultry yet sinister voice.

Ok, getting serious, I do actually need some new computers to go with these cases/peripherals in the next few months. I've transferred over a couple of my old dual-Opteron motherboards for now but they're frustratingly slow for some of the development work I'm doing. The main job of these machines is to compile and run prototype AI software, but I want to use them for gaming as well (possibly sometimes my partner gaming on one and myself using the other). The options I am considering are;

1) Wait for Intel's Skulltail platform to come out. Get two and overclock them (I have a water cooling system per processor after all). That should mean two 4.2GHz ish quad-core processors per machine.

Advantages; highest single-threaded speed possible.
Disadvantages; low reliability, low component life.
Sucky memory latency, low memory capacity (only four FB-DIMM slots; and I hate FB-DIMM)

2) Get a couple of dual-Xeon workstation motherboards and put 3 GHz quad Xeons in them.

Advantages; reasonable single-threaded speed, reasonable memory capacity (eight FB-DIMM slots), reliable, lower power consumption than the other options.

3) Get a pair of Thunder n3600QE (S4980) Quad-Opteron motherboards. Wait for the 2.5GHz Opteron quad-cores to come out, put four in each machine for 32 cores total.

Advantages; Twice as many cores - probably faster than the Skulltrail system on the main AI system (which parallelises well up to 64 threads per node or so). Huge memory capacity (16 DDR2 slots - and DDR2 is cheaper than FB-DIMMs so I could actually fill them with 32 gigs per machine). Unbeatable memory bandwidth on NUMA-compatible applications.
Disadvantages: Relatively low single-threaded performance, only one PCI-E slot so no SLI possible, needs a USB sound solution.

One problem with this board is that it's a socket F solution, not a socket F+ solution; it has ring hypertransport rather than fully connected. Plus AMD will hopefully get off their assess and enable registered DDR2-800 support sometime soon; DDR2-667 is looking kinda slow (but then, with eight memory channels it's still faster than the Intel solutions).

4) Get one dual-Xeon Skulltrail system and one quad-Opteron system. I'm leaning towards this option at the moment.

5) Any other suggestions?

I'll probably get four terabyte hard drives for each and put them in RAID5. Important stuff is replicated to both machines and backed up off site anyway.

No, I'm not waiting a whole year for Nehalem to come out.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

The review didn't rate the PSU all too well... are you sure you want to get a substandard piece of junk?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The review didn't rate the PSU all too well... are you sure you want to get a substandard piece of junk?
I picked up a couple cheaply on clearance. I had a look at several reviews and all the others that I saw were fine; actually I'd forgotten that I had the negative one bookmarked. Given that 1000W is already fairly excessive for all my usage scenarios (I probably don't need SLI, much less quad SLI) and I see no point spending extra money to make a PSU look nice, I went with it.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm planning on building a PC for my wife next week and I'm just going to buy the basic necessity(sp?) needed to build a computer and salvage the rest from the old one (i.e. case, DVD-RW, CD-RW, possibly the PSU), but I have a couple of questions. One, is there a difference between a Geforce 8400GS and a 8500GT? The only difference I could find was that the latte has twice the memory Bus and bandwith than the former (128bit and 12.8GB\sec compared to half from the former). My wife isn't a hard core gamer and so far the most resource hugging game she's played is Sims 2 plus all the expansion packs. Should I get the 8500GT or 8400GS?

Another question is what is the acceptable wattage in a PSU for todays computers? My wife's current computer's PSU is about 400-450W. Is that enough or should I get a 500W or higher PSU?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Wattage really doesn't mean anything, as it's a very easy number to inflate. Without knowing the brand, it's hard to say whether 450W is plenty for a top end system (which it definitely is if the brand is good) or whether it would struggle with a mid-ranged one (which it could if the brand sucks).

As far as GPU, I don't know much about the current low-end offerings other than that they suck, but half the memory bandwidth is a big deal when you're already bandwidth starved like low-end cards tend to be. 8500 GT should be fine for games like the Sims, but I wouldn't chance it with an 8400 GS. If you can find one for a similar price, something like a 6600 GT or 7600 GS would be a lot better.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

On further searching, the 8500 GT doesn't really seem too bad for the price, but here's the best deal I could find. For only $65, an X1650 XT is really a steal. Despite the similar name, it doesn't have a lot in common with the X1650 vanilla and Pro. It's basically 2/3rd's of a X1950 Pro, and the performance will be a lot better than 8500 GT.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Planning to build the computer with these specs.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 AM2 4400+
Ram: 1GB DDR2 667MHz
Vid Card: Geforce 8500GT
HDD: WD 200GB
DVD-RW
CD-RW
Floppy
Don't remember the PSU brand or wattage from the current computer.

Oh I don't want to touch Radeon. Burned one too many times due to graphics incompatability with some games.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Looking for any additional things to pimp up my new machine with:

Current specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Asus P5k iP35 Motherboard
Xilence 480W PSU
18x DVD-RW
Digivox Tv tuner
160gb HD
Safecom 125mbps wireless - I think this is incompatible as it doesn't seem to work
Patriot 2GB PC2-6400 Rram
MSI Geforce 8600GT

Is there anything that would be worth getting to pimp it up further?

I want to use it as a home cinema/games station, so I'm going to get 2 monitors at some point, also going to add a 500gb HD at some point as well.

Is it worth getting a proper soundcard rather than the motherboard one or am I better off just getting a good speaker set instead and going with the soundcard in the motherboard?

Any suggestions to further pimp out the machine would be much appreciated.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Look around for a better PSU, not in terms of wattage but quality. You want to look for a good brand name, preferably an efficient one.

Save up some money and get something better then that graphics card. An AMD 3850 would be a huge improvement at a small cash increase, above that is the AMD 3870 or the nVidia 8800GT 256/512.

Don't bother getting a proper soundcard, unless you're a fanatic about sound noise.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

That ahrd drive is very wimpy, I'd go with 320GB as a minimum (500 is best, and if you plan to store movies on it then even 750GB).
The 8600GT is supposed to be a rather crappy GPU, but I'm not an expert on that.
A quad core seems a might overkill compared to, well, all the rest of the components, I'd go with a dual core, unless it fits with your price range well enough. (I have the Q6600 and it's nifty, but I'm not sure if it's worth it).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Ace, what sort of PSU name is a good brand name?

Certainly I'm contemplating a new graphics card already, as I've already experienced problems with it and am currently having to underclock it to stop it crashing games. Will probably look at the AMD3850 as the nVidia problem seems to be related to all high end nvidia cards.

Death,
The hard drive is a place holder really, at the time, a 500 was out of the price range on what was recommended to me initially. The Q6600 was recommended for longevity rather than necessarily performance.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie