NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Hmm... Steelers win the Mud Bowl.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

EXCELLENT! This is a W for me!!! Only lost by 3! What a game! The heart, the sacrifice, the absolute sticktoitiveness of both teams made this an epic back and forth battle for the ages!

The elements conspiring against them, both teams bravely took the field of battle, thirsting for blood, for that all important W that could end the season - or save it.

From the opening kickoff, we knew it was going to be positively tragic for someone; the special teams barrelling forward like some medieval cavalry charge, slamming into each other like two impenetrable walls of doom through which no pigskin would pass!

Wait....

Fuck, I was watching ESPN classic. My bad.

This game was balls.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Any Redskins' fans here (of which I am not) probably know by now that safety Sean Taylor was shot yesterday. Well, he died of his injuries today:
Redskins' Taylor Dies Day After Shooting

By MATT SEDENSKY

Associated Press Writer

10:37 AM CST, November 27, 2007

MIAMI

Pro Bowl safety Sean Taylor died Tuesday after he was shot in his home by an apparent intruder, leaving the Washington Redskins in mourning for a teammate who seemed to have reordered his life since becoming a father.

The 24-year-old player died at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he had been airlifted after the shooting early Monday, family friend Richard Sharpstein said. Sharpstein said Taylor's father informed him of the death at about 5:30 a.m.

Taylor's death comes nearly a year after Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting following an argument at a Denver nightclub on Jan. 1. University of Miami defensive lineman Bryan Pata was shot to death in November 2006 several miles from Taylor's home in an unsolved killing.

Taylor, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft following an All-American season at Miami, was shot early Monday in the upper leg, damaging the key femoral artery and causing significant blood loss.

"According to a preliminary investigation, it appears that the victim was shot inside the home by an intruder," Miami-Dade County police said in a statement. "We do not have a subject description at this time."

The attack came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home. Officers were sent to the home about 1:45 a.m. Monday after Taylor's girlfriend called 911.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, Sharpstein said. Taylor's 1-year-old daughter, Jackie, was also in the house, but neither she nor Taylor's girlfriend was injured.

Police found signs of forced entry, but have not determined if they were caused Monday or during the previous burglary.

The shooting happened in the pale yellow house Taylor bought two years ago. In last week's break-in, police said someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed.

"They're really sifting through that incident and today's incident," Miami-Dade Detective Mario Rachid said, "to see if there's any correlation."

Taylor starred as a running back and defensive back at Gulliver Prep in Miami. His father, Pedro Taylor, is police chief of Florida City.

A private man with a small inner circle, Taylor rarely granted interviews. But, behind the scenes, Taylor was described as personable and smart.

After Taylor was drafted, problems soon began. Taylor fired his agent, then skipped part of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium, drawing a $25,000 fine. Driving home late from a party during the season, he was pulled over and charged with drunken driving. The case was dismissed in court, but by then it had become a monthslong distraction for the Redskins.

Taylor also was fined at least seven times for late hits, uniform violations and other infractions over his first three seasons, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a 2006 playoff game.

Taylor endured a yearlong legal battle after he was accused in 2005 of brandishing a gun at a man during a fight over allegedly stolen all-terrain vehicles near Taylor's home. He eventually pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to 18 months' probation.

On the field, Taylor's play was often erratic. Assistant coach Gregg Williams frequently called Taylor the best athlete he'd ever coached, but nearly every big play was mitigated by a blown assignment. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006 yet made the Pro Bowl because of his reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the league.

This year, however, Taylor was allowed to play a true free safety position, using his speed and power to chase down passes and crush would-be receivers. His five interceptions tie for the league lead in the NFC, even though he missed the last two games because of a sprained knee.

"I just take this job very seriously," Taylor said in a rare group interview during training camp. "It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'

"So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year, and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder, whatever I can do to better myself."
I figured this was appropriate to put here.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I can't remember anything like this happening midseason.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

That's because it has never happened. I don't know if I would want to play the next week in that kind of situation personally.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Darth Fanboy wrote:That's because it has never happened. I don't know if I would want to play the next week in that kind of situation personally.
The Broncos' Darrent Williams was shot to death in January of this year, shortly (literally, hours after) after the end of the Broncos' regular season. So yeah, that's the closest to a player being murdered during the regular season that I can find.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:That's because it has never happened. I don't know if I would want to play the next week in that kind of situation personally.
The Broncos' Darrent Williams was shot to death in January of this year, shortly (literally, hours after) after the end of the Broncos' regular season. So yeah, that's the closest to a player being murdered during the regular season that I can find.
Murdered aside, when was the last time a player died for any reason during the course of regular season? Someone on TV the other day was saying that something like that has never happened. It's one thing to go back on the field when a guy is injured or in the hospital, its different when he's passed on.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The only one that came to mind was Joe Delaney, but it turns out he died trying to save three kids from drowning in the off season.

I remember when Bears owner George Halas died right before a game against the Rams. The Bears (a shitty team at the time) took out their grief on the playoff-bound Rams and not only beat them, but beat them up. I wouldn't bet money on the Redskins' next opponent.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

For tonight:

Green Bay at Dallas
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

As a lifelong Washington fan I'm pretty much betting that we can win one or two games on emotion alone but the real problem is that we don't have depth in the Secondary. The Dallas game proved it more than anything else. Taylor was the key because he not only intimidated but this season he was starting to show the real reason why he was a #5 pick: ball-hawking. The guy has been basically patrolling the middle of the field deep and was tied for the NFC lead in Interceptions (still might be I didn't want to hear anything football related after we lost to TB). Pure emotion, if the team can muster it, is probably enough to win 3 more and get to an 8-8 season (hell two years ago pure emotion and gut determination put us in the 2nd round of the playoffs) but I just don't think there is enough pure talent in our secondary to win 5 straight or even 4 of 5 to make a wild-card berth. So Buffalo beware but after that who knows.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

The 'skins play the Bills next. According to the Bills Forums, Clinton Portis will be wearing Sean Tailor's Jersey (which will incur NFL fines), and the 'skins D will play the first play of their first series with 10 men. Joe Gibbs and Marv have apparently made an arrangement for that play that's fair to both sides.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Falkenhayn wrote:The 'skins play the Bills next. According to the Bills Forums, Clinton Portis will be wearing Sean Tailor's Jersey (which will incur NFL fines), and the 'skins D will play the first play of their first series with 10 men. Joe Gibbs and Marv have apparently made an arrangement for that play that's fair to both sides.
I'm glad that there is still enough honor left in the NFL for a team to make this kind of tribute. That may be a testament to the NFL in general or to Sean Taylor in particular.

Also, Dallas wins 37-27. Brett Favre apparently left during the first half with an elbow injury and didn't return.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Dark Flame wrote:
Falkenhayn wrote:The 'skins play the Bills next. According to the Bills Forums, Clinton Portis will be wearing Sean Tailor's Jersey (which will incur NFL fines), and the 'skins D will play the first play of their first series with 10 men. Joe Gibbs and Marv have apparently made an arrangement for that play that's fair to both sides.
I'm glad that there is still enough honor left in the NFL for a team to make this kind of tribute. That may be a testament to the NFL in general or to Sean Taylor in particular.
I trust the NFL will graciously donate those fines to the charity or some other suitable recipient of its choice.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Now get this; apparently Sean Tailor's phone lines were cut before entry, and three suspects have been detained.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

An old article, detailing where the money from fines will go.
National Football League

Player fines totaled some $1.1 million during the 2000 season, according to Arthur McAfee, staff counsel for the NFL Player's Association. The money was split equally among four organizations, the league's charities of choice for many years: the Lombardi Cancer Research Center, Brian Piccolo Cancer Fund, ALS Neuromuscular Research Foundation and the Player's Association Assistance Trust Fund.
Just a note, if i'm Aaron ROgers, I would be PISSED if I didn't get to start next week. I wouldn't complain, but I would be upset that a strong performance in a near comeback against an excellent team was not rewarded.

With the division all but sealed up and the home field advantage gone to the Cowboys, why keep the Macho bullshit streak going for Favre and PROTECT THE OLD MAN'S ARM for the postseason later. Aaron Rogers is too good to spend this much time on the bench, the Packers probably intended to have him playing much sooner.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Just like what USC did in their home opener this year. I admit at first I didn't like the idea, but after thinking about it I can get behind it. Fans in the stadium will get behind it too.

How long before the first media outlet dubs this game the "Tragedy Bowl" or something similar after drawing up the comparisons between Sean Taylor's death during the year, and Kevin Everett's spine injury that knocked him out of football?

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

National Football League

Player fines totaled some $1.1 million during the 2000 season, according to Arthur McAfee, staff counsel for the NFL Player's Association. The money was split equally among four organizations, the league's charities of choice for many years: the Lombardi Cancer Research Center, Brian Piccolo Cancer Fund, ALS Neuromuscular Research Foundation and the Player's Association Assistance Trust Fund.
I'm glad to see this, at least.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The police just arrested four suspects in the murder of Sean Taylor. Does Florida still use Ole Sparky?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:The police just arrested four suspects in the murder of Sean Taylor. Does Florida still use Ole Sparky?
No. Some guys head caught fire, so they use the needle now.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Has anyone seen this?

Apparently because of the rain delay they didn't play the national anthem last Monday at the Steelers-Dolphins game. I really don't think it's that big a deal, especially by what the article said. The NFL isn't stealing people's precious time, nor does it steal patriotism. This kind of bullshit hurts my brain. :roll:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

okay, picking tomorrow

Detroit at Minnesota
Seattle at Philadelphia
San Diego at Kansas City
New York Jets at Miami
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
San Francisco at Carolina
Houston at Tennessee
Atlanta at St. Louis
Buffalo at Washington
Cleveland at Arizona
Denver at Oakland
New York Giants at Chicago
Tampa Bay at New Orleans
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
New England at Baltimore
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Lions, Eagles, Chargers, Dolphins, Jaguars, Panthers, Titans, Rams, Redskins, Cardinals, Broncos, Bears, Sainsts, Steelers, and Patriots are my projected winners for this week.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I really want Baltimore to beat the Patriots. Just because it would be so incredibly awesome and Tom Brady would cry.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It wouldn't surprise me. I remember when the Broncos had an undefeated juggernaut and were crushing every team on their schedule until late in the season. Then they got their asses kicked by a mediocre Giants team with nothing to play for except maybe Jim Fassel's job. Do the Ravens like Brian Billick enough to gut one out for him and keep him from getting fired?
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Now that I think about it, the Redskins will probably annihilate the Bills. The closest thing I can think of is when Rolf Benirschke, the kicker for the Chargers back in the late 70s/early 80s, almost died from some kind of intestinal disease. He had lost nearly 100 pounds and looked like a survivor from a concentration camp. When he was allowed to leave the hospital, his teammates brought him to the Chargers' game against the Steelers (who were on their way to their fourth Super Bowl win) and let him act as team captain for the coin toss. Watching a grown man who weighed barely a hundred pounds (if that much) shaking hands with the other players...

There wasn't a dry eye in the house. The Chargers obliterated the Steelers 35-7, though they could have scored 70 if they had wanted to.