Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Stig to the rescue!
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

"Top Gear Please Miss Us" :P
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

BMX Bandits = batshit insane.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Crazy shit indeed, May should have run them over, they are a Darwin waiting to happen.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

:lol:

That was great. I loved the way they recycled the music from Stardust for the bit where The Stig just waltzes over the opposition.

And I've almost forgiven Keith Allen for spawning Lily. Almost.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I can't believe the BBC gets more viewers for darts or snooker or whatever than Top Gear at all. Not enough to warrant not showing it at all next week, anyway. Just how many people need to see the whole thing and not the highlights anyway?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Zuul wrote:I can't believe the BBC gets more viewers for darts or snooker or whatever than Top Gear at all. Not enough to warrant not showing it at all next week, anyway. Just how many people need to see the whole thing and not the highlights anyway?
IIRC Top Gear gets more ratings than snooker ever got; Clarkson himself complained that they're showing a ratings hit around just to squeeze in a niche program.
Flakin
Jedi Knight

Post by Flakin »

Bounty wrote:
Zuul wrote:I can't believe the BBC gets more viewers for darts or snooker or whatever than Top Gear at all. Not enough to warrant not showing it at all next week, anyway. Just how many people need to see the whole thing and not the highlights anyway?
IIRC Top Gear gets more ratings than snooker ever got; Clarkson himself complained that they're showing a ratings hit around just to squeeze in a niche program.
Unfortunately I can't recall exactly where I read this, but it was stated once that the reason the Beeb gave snooker and darts and the like priority over it's regular shows was that when it comes time for the contract negotiations, the BBC can say that it has always given them precedence for showings in prime time hours.

I think it's a bad decision too.

As for this week's episode, for some reason, as in their race in London, the idea of The Stig in social situations is simply hilarious. When the others were talking to The Stig attempting to cajole some kind of reaction out of him it was truly laugh out loud funny.
EBC: Mississippi Division Sleeper Unit "The Sad Weimaraners".
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

As for this week's episode, for some reason, as in their race in London, the idea of The Stig in social situations is simply hilarious. When the others were talking to The Stig attempting to cajole some kind of reaction out of him it was truly laugh out loud funny.
Oh yes, that stuff is great. Stig's really become a character of his (it's?) own, even if he doesn't speak. Did you see the Stig's road trip while the others were building a car last season? It was stuffed with touches like that.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

"The computer has told us that Stig has just had a wee!" He is awesome, as are his introductions from Jeremy, the program's so odd, it's sort of like wrestling in a way. He's a hero and you know it's all bullshit, but you like him turning up and helping the main guys out.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

YT300000 wrote:
Bounty wrote:Also, two SiaRPC's? They must've run out of money.
Then here's hoping they'll end off like Season 6. "So, we'll need something that will allow us to show you old clips, consume a lot of time, and cost 50p. Welcome to the Top Gear Awards." :lol:
Your wish has been granted.

Anyone know if there's a site which displays the official ratings, I tried looking the last time Top Gear got pulled, but was shit out of luck.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

A used Beamer powered by biodiesel, using parts stolen from a car park, rebuilt in hours after half the engine blew up and shoved onto the track with no testing, at the back of the pack. Belching smoke.

Does it matter? No, because the tame racing driver is at the wheel.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Lost Soal wrote: Anyone know if there's a site which displays the official ratings, I tried looking the last time Top Gear got pulled, but was shit out of luck.
The BARB website would probably show you that, but you have to pay some ungodly amount (about £10,000 per year) to sign up for it. I do seem to remember that Top Gear's ratings were less than half of what they are now when it last got ditched, though. The new one pulls in about 7-8m viewers, so the old one was probably at about 3m or so.

Finally watched the episode last night, and it was total awesomeness. Makes you wonder what happened to the seven teams that finished even slower than the Top Gear gang... then again, they didn't have the Stig.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

DaveJB wrote: Finally watched the episode last night, and it was total awesomeness. Makes you wonder what happened to the seven teams that finished even slower than the Top Gear gang... then again, they didn't have the Stig.
Its actually 20 teams. Technically. 59 teams started and a few didn't finish at all

Ivanova is always right.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Tonight, on Top Gear
TG Site wrote:The men in waistcoats have put away their pointy sticks and shiny balls, meaning Top Gear can return to your screen this week to finish the series in style.

In fact, this Sunday has been christened Top Gear night because it's dominated by a solid three and a half hours of brilliant telly from your favourite presenters.

Starting at 7pm, we get James May: My Sister's Top Toys, in which Captain Slow tells his heart-wrenching childhood story of being stuck between two sisters, where he was forced to play with their poxy toys. The Spirograph and Fuzzy Felt are among the toy victims as James wreaks his vengeance, getting his own back on his childhood misery. He also blows up the tree house family.

Then at 8pm we get the last Top Gear of the series, which sees the boys triple testing the new BMW M3 against a Merc C63 AMG and an Audi RS4, to find out which one handles the best and which one makes you look like a hair-gelled weasel. James takes out Jaguar's brand spanking XF, David 'Dr Who' Tennant is the star in a reasonably priced car, and the three of them turn a G-Wiz into a high-performance radio-controlled car.

Following Top Gear, at 9pm we get another dose of the Hamster with Richard Hammond Meets Evel Knievel. Richard spent four days in the summer with his childhood hero, shortly before the legendary stuntman's death, and he made this documentary while doing it.

Then to round out Top Gear night, Have I Got News For You is on at 10pm, with regular team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop, and panellists Krishnan Guru-Murthy and Michael McIntyre. So what's the Top Gear connection? It's hosted by none other than Jeremy Clarkson.

And then it's time for bed.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

For a finale, this was a bit meh. The G-Whiz out-dragracing a Mustang was hilarious, Hammond's booby-trapped RC car even more so, but apart from that - the saloon road test just didn't have much zing.

But Oliver's back!
Master Arachnos
Youngling

Post by Master Arachnos »

Yep, it's pretty poor when the worst part of Top Gear night was in fact, Top Gear...
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It's typical that when James May makes a program about vintage girl's toys, he somehow manages to cram in a race and a big explosion.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I think they need to do more of the america and africa specials. I don't care if they kinda reuse the recipe, it's what I find to be the best episodes.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I really doubt they have the money to do that.

Did anyone see the iPlayer commercials? It's the Top Gear presenters standing around reminiscing about the American special and May keeps repeating how they could have died. Pretty funny.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The rest of the programme was pretty mediocre, but the R/C G-Whizz and anything with The Stig in was fucking hilarious. I nearly pissed myself during that G-Whizz section.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

There's no new Top Gear today, just a "best of". Well, not just.

Today's clips had bits of the episode where James and Jeremy smoked. Since that caused complaints - at least, that's what I assume is the reason - everything related to smokes or pipes has been liberally pixelated with a big flashing CENSORED bar under it :lol: