NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

I will be at the Ralph tomorrow. I have to leave by 5:15. Why the hell am I still awake?

Guiness and Brats for breakfast, Flipper for lunch, and Wings for dinner.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Fuckin' Eagles drop a killer to the Giants, 16-13. The Birds tried to kick a 57 yard field goal with 6 seconds left, only to have it drop in front of the uprights.

Pathetic.

Edit:

The Eagles' website said it hit the upright, so I guess I can accurately say "It didn't go in, it just impacted on the surface."

So the Iggles are 5-8 (third straight loss) and the New York Football Giants are 9-4.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Chargers win in overtime! W000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t! :D

edit: and Pittsburg's crashing and burning, go Jets and Dolphins! :)
Last edited by Medic on 2007-12-09 06:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

That'll teach Lendale White to taunt Merriman, Tomlinson and Cooper. What a schmuck!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Chargers win in overtime! W000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t! :D

edit: and Pittsburg's crashing and burning, go Jets and Dolphins! :)
Pwnt.
JADAFETWA
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

FYI Kuja, I'm cheering the Patriots next two opponents.
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! :D They're my 2nd favorite team next week. ;)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Well, I ended up watching the Patriots/Steelers game and it seemed Pittsburg had smacked New England up pretty good, then they had to go and deflate in the second half. If I actually gave a crap about the NFL, I might have been more disappointed than I was.

Nice to see Green Bay won today and sewed up their division, though.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

What a blow-out in Baltimore. Ravens just didn't have it, today, and the Colts imposed their will for the entire first half before pulling their starters.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Master of Ossus wrote:What a blow-out in Baltimore. Ravens just didn't have it, today, and the Colts imposed their will for the entire first half before pulling their starters.
They pulled their starters? Ray Ray and Co. must be thrilled after the Pats game debacle.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Falkenhayn wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:What a blow-out in Baltimore. Ravens just didn't have it, today, and the Colts imposed their will for the entire first half before pulling their starters.
They pulled their starters? Ray Ray and Co. must be thrilled after the Pats game debacle.
That team could use an enema. I just wonder if the new owner wants to eat Brian Billick's contract, purge the team and start all over.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

WTF happened to Dallas? They managed to squeak out a 27-28 win, but why did they suck so bad while doing it? If the Lions weren't so incompetent they would have put Dallas away handily.

Also, Browns win and are one step closer to the playoffs! :shock: :D
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Flame wrote:WTF happened to Dallas? They managed to squeak out a 27-28 win, but why did they suck so bad while doing it? If the Lions weren't so incompetent they would have put Dallas away handily.

Also, Browns win and are one step closer to the playoffs! :shock: :D
Detroit is better than you think. They play hard and have all the ingredients, the team just doesn't "know how" to win yet.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

havokeff wrote:Detroit is better than you think. They play hard and have all the ingredients, the team just doesn't "know how" to win yet.
That's alright, San Diego can show them how en route to the post season. :) Now onto the immediate order of business, before that and before the JETS: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEXANS! If they win, we're in. (I think; that would give Denver 8 losses but at any rate we have 8 wins and one more means any Denver loss is fatal)

edit: lucky for Kitna and Mike Martz Merriman will sit this game out. Luckier for the QB though. :lol:
Last edited by Medic on 2007-12-11 05:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Biggest AFC North Surprise?

Pittsburgh Steelers (9-4)
Cleveland Browns (8-5)
Cincinnati Bengals (5-8)
Baltimore Ravens (4-9)

I'm torn between the Browns and the Ravens on this question. I'll go with the Ravens because the Browns still haven't shown that they can beat a good AFC Team, their most quality win was a squeaker over Seattle. Of the teams they have beaten, none have a winning record except for the Seahawks. They've lost to Oakland and Arizona.

Baltimore meanwhile. Wow. Arguably their best game of the season was the LOSS to New England. Now I know they have played the best two teams in the league in back to back weeks, but their once vaunted defense is now nothing for any team to worry about and can no longer make up for their mediocre at best offense. Kyle Boller's stats are now surpassing McNair's on the season despite being sacked way more than McNair was. (McNair played 6 games, Boller 7)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I left work early today and as I drove around in my car, I listened to the various talking heads at ESPN drone on and on about Arthur Blank's "fried chicken" remark on MNF. Now, whether or not it was Blank's intent to be racist, you'd certainly think he could have chosen a better way to say that.

Oh and, yeah, the game put me to sleep.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It was the worst MNF game in recent memory for me too. Perhaps if the Saints had not stopped blowing them out when the score was 31-7 and allowed their third and fourth stringers go for...say...eighty to ninety points. That might have been fun.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

This Just in: Bobby Petrino has resigned as Falcon's coach
The Canadian Press wrote:Petrino resigns as Atlanta Falcons coach after 13 games, heads to Arkansas

31 minutes ago

ATLANTA - Bobby Petrino resigned as Atlanta Falcons coach on Tuesday, having lasted only 13 games with the NFL team. A person within the league told The Associated Press that Petrino quit to return to the college ranks at Arkansas.

He had only left Louisville in January, agreeing to become Falcons coach for a US$24-million, five-year contract handed out by a team that felt he could help star quarterback Michael Vick reach his full potential.

A few months later, Vick came under investigation for a grisly dogfighting operation that eventually led him to plead guilty to federal charges. He was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison without ever taking a snap for Petrino.

A source familiar with Patrino's decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because the school had not made an official announcement, said he was going to Arkansas. The Razorbacks have been looking for a coach for two weeks to replace Houston Nutt, who resigned after a tumultuous season and took the Mississippi job.

The school had no immediate comment on its coaching search, but called a 11:30 ET news conference for a "major announcement."

The Falcons declined further comment beyond a terse, two-paragraph statement released Tuesday night. Owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay were scheduled to hold a news conference Wednesday.

There was no immediate word who would take over as head coach for the final three games, though defensive co-ordinator Mike Zimmer and offensive co-ordinator Hue Jackson would be the most logical candidates.

Petrino did not answer his cell phone or a call placed to his Atlanta-area home. His brother, Falcons receivers coach Paul Petrino, declined comment when reached on his cell phone.

"I don't think I can say anything about it right now," he said. "I'm sorry."

After losing Vick, Bobby Petrino tried three starting quarterbacks without success. The Falcons are 3-10 and assured of the 32nd season of .500 or worse in their 42-year history.

"Anytime you're without of the best athletes in the National Football League, it's going to be tough," Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall said earlier in the season. "Take Peyton Manning from the Colts, and they'll go through a little slump."

The resignation of Petrino was another jarring blow in a surreal year for the Falcons, who had dealt with Vick's legal troubles since the first day of training camp. A plane flew over the team's practice facility pulling a sign that said: "New team name? Dog Killers?"

That was a far cry from Petrino's introductory news conference, when he talked of his reasons for leaving Louisville.

"I was able to see the commitment that has been made here," he said. "I believe this is truly the best football job in the NFL. It was an easy decision for me."

Of course, he had no idea what Vick was doing in his spare time.

Petrino's stint was one of the shortest for a non-interim coach since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Pete McCulley was fired after starting out 1-8 with San Francisco in 1978, and Sid Gillman lasted only 10 games in his second stint as San Diego coach, going 4-6 in 1971 before quitting.

In an interesting twist, Lou Holtz coached the New York Jets for 13 games in 1976. He went 3-10, then left the team with one game remaining to become Arkansas' coach.
I trimmed the article down because I felt it was a bit long to post the whole thing.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Quorthon wrote:I left work early today and as I drove around in my car, I listened to the various talking heads at ESPN drone on and on about Arthur Blank's "fried chicken" remark on MNF. Now, whether or not it was Blank's intent to be racist, you'd certainly think he could have chosen a better way to say that.

Oh and, yeah, the game put me to sleep.
Holy shit. I knew idiots were going to make a big deal about that. 1st, for those that don't know, fried chicken is served in jail. 2nd, Atlanta is in the south, where EVERYONE eats fried chicken.
What else is he supposed to say? They don't serve steak, lobster and caviar in fucking jail.
You get fried chicken, you get pancakes, you get gravy, you get eggs, you get sausage.
Beside the point that he was making reference to getting fat and out of shape, which I don't know about you, but being out of shape and eating fried chicken go hand in hand in my mind.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow. Poor Arthur Blank. Is this the worst off the field season a team has ever suffered or what? Even the Bengals haven't crashed and burned this hard before... Not even the Dolphins this year.

On the bright side, DeAngelo Hall will probably hit the open market now.... Hmmm Nate Clements and DeAngelo Hall... Awesome! :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

No shit, Hav? I had no idea, thanks for the enlightenment.

I concede that my post seemed reactionary and I apologize. I'm perfectly willing to give Blank a pass for what he said considering the shit he's had to deal with this year, but you know that there are probably going to be plenty of people who won't.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Jesus every fucking food has some kind of racial connotation anymore. If he had said "pancakes" chances are there would have been some jackass from Vermont crying foul. Most everyone eats fried chicken, its a fattening food and its delicious. To those who are pissed, I say, GET OVER IT.

As far as Petrino is concerned? Fuck him. There are very few coaches in the NFL and in College Football who are willing to honor a contract anymore and it makes me want to puke. Especially with college coaches, who like to bill themselves as "leaders of men." Where's the damn committment?

Yeah, coaching for the Falcons isn't going to help your won/loss record, fucking deal with it. At least with the Falcons you're competing with three teams in an average NFL division for a playoff spot. Now you go to a school that has to compete regularly in the toughest conference in football where unless you win ten games a year you won't be considered for any kind of championship. bah.

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I remain defiant to the end. I will be a Dolphins fan until I die. Though I'm content to wallow in this, our worst season ever, I will stick with them forever. But as a fan through good times and bad, I reserve the right to screech, and therefore:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Thank you.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chardok wrote:I remain defiant to the end. I will be a Dolphins fan until I die. Though I'm content to wallow in this, our worst season ever, I will stick with them forever. But as a fan through good times and bad, I reserve the right to screech, and therefore:

Thank you.
Take a small wad of cash, and bet on the Dolphins to beat the Patriots. Do it. You know if that happens it will make the entire season worth it.

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Chardok wrote:I remain defiant to the end. I will be a Dolphins fan until I die. Though I'm content to wallow in this, our worst season ever, I will stick with them forever. But as a fan through good times and bad, I reserve the right to screech, and therefore:

Thank you.
Take a small wad of cash, and bet on the Dolphins to beat the Patriots. Do it. You know if that happens it will make the entire season worth it.
You may well be right. the odds would make my cash a small fortune, if they beat the spread. (Spread? BWAAHAHAHAHA)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Arthur Blank is PISSED about Petrino's resignation. His press conference about it is up on NFL.com. He doesn't go around screaming "Petrino is who we thought he was... Go ahead and crown his ass," or anything, but he makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that he's ticked off about it and he thinks that Petrino stabbed him.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."