NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Master of Ossus wrote:Arthur Blank is PISSED about Petrino's resignation. His press conference about it is up on NFL.com. He doesn't go around screaming "Petrino is who we thought he was... Go ahead and crown his ass," or anything, but he makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that he's ticked off about it and he thinks that Petrino stabbed him.
And the really outrageous thing of it is, he had just a few more games to go! Finish out the damn season. If he can't be counted on to complete the season (barring some family emergency or illness), how can any team trust him again when he might quit again on a whim?

Here's a few stories of interest:

One about Blank's reaction:
Blank fumes over Petrino's departure

PA SportsTicker

Published: Thursday, December 13, 2007

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank claimed on Wednesday he felt "abused" and "betrayed" by coach Bobby Petrino's decision to quit the NFL and return to the college ranks with Arkansas.

Petrino left his coaching job at Louisville last January to join the Falcons.

"My issue is not that he elected to go back to coaching in college," Blank said. "My issue is timing. My issue is responsibility. My issue is his commitment to this organisation."

The announcement of Petrino's departure after less than one season with the Falcons came only hours before he was presented as the new Razorbacks coach. But what particularly disappointed Blank is that the decision came only a day after Petrino had reassured him that his future was in Atlanta.

"Bobby's resignation caps off an already unprecedentedly difficult year," Blank said Wednesday, two days after he saw franchise quarterback Michael Vick sentenced to 23 months for his role in an illegal dogfighting operation. "I think the best way to describe how we feel is betrayed and let down."

Blank revealed that Petrino had spoken to both him and Falcons general manager Rich McKay about numerous concerns in the past few days. That meeting came after the Falcons learned that Petrino was interested by the opportunity presented at Arkansas.

"We knew that Bobby was a candidate of interest in the college ranks, but at no time were we approached by a university asking for permission to speak to Bobby," Blank said. "However, we did learn of Bobby's interest in Arkansas late last week."

But after Petrino met with team executives again Monday, Blank said he felt as though Petrino's concerns were being addressed to the coach's satisfaction.

Blank said he asked Petrino directly what he should say about the coach's future during a national television broadcast of the Falcons' game with the New Orleans Saints on Monday night.

"Bobby extended his hand and said, 'You can tell them you have a head coach,'" Blank said.
Then a story about the team's reaction:
Bitter Falcons feel betrayed by bolting Petrino

Updated 1h 18m ago

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Coward. Quitter. Hypocrite. And those were some of the nicer things the Atlanta Falcons had to say about their former coach on Wednesday.

Bobby Petrino left behind a bitter team and a boss who felt betrayed, skipping town to return to the college ranks with not so much as a face-to-face meeting with his players.

The Falcons watched him on television the previous night, yukking it up at a giddy, late-night news conference in Arkansas, then showed up at their lockers to find a 78-word letter from their ex-coach, whose tenure in the NFL lasted all of 13 games.

"Atlanta Falcons Players," it began.

"Out of my respect for you, I am letting you know that, with a heavy heart, I resigned today as the Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons. This decision was not easy but was made in the best interest of me and my family. While my desire would have been to finish out what has been a difficult season for us all, circumstances did not allow me to do so. I appreciate your hard work and wish you the best.

"Sincerely, Bobby Petrino."

While the aloof Petrino had few friends in the locker room, and there was actually a sense of relief he was gone, the Falcons (3-10) felt totally abandoned in a season where so much already has gone wrong.

First, Michael Vick.

Now, this.

"It got to the point where guys really didn't care if he left or not," running back Warrick Dunn said. "But the way he decided to leave, to me, was just not right."

Falcons owner Arthur Blank sounded as though he had just been stabbed in the back. He got a call late last week from Dallas owner Jerry Jones, an Arkansas alumnus, to say the school was interested in talking to Petrino about its coaching vacancy.

Blank said he told Jones the Falcons had no intention of letting the Razorbacks speak with their coach, and general manager Rich McKay confirmed that position in follow-up calls with Jones.

That was followed by a series of meetings over the weekend in which Petrino laid out some areas of concern, and the Falcons thought they had addressed them all. In fact, Blank said he met again with the coach on Monday, just hours before Atlanta's 34-14 loss to the New Orleans Saints, to make sure he wasn't planning to leave.

"He stood up, we shook hands and he said, 'You have a head coach,' " Blank said.

Twenty-four hours later, Petrino submitted his resignation, hopped on a plane to Arkansas and signed a deal as Razorbacks coach.

"The best way to describe the way we feel," Blank said, "is betrayed."

The Falcons hastily chose secondary coach Emmitt Thomas to run the team on an interim basis for the final three games; he becomes the first black head coach in team history.

McKay said he would get to work Wednesday night going over the list of potential candidates for the permanent job, a task he never expected to be doing just 11 months after hiring the last coach.

Blank said he has no reason to believe that Jones was involved in Petrino's sudden resignation, and McKay said NFL tampering rules don't apply to college jobs anyway. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league didn't have enough information to comment.

During his final days with the Falcons, Petrino expressed to both Blank and McKay his concerns about dealing with pro athletes. There were plenty of warning signs he wasn't coping well with players who weren't afraid to speak their minds or question the coaching staff.

"This league is not for everybody," safety Lawyer Milloy said. "This league is for real men. I think he realized he didn't belong here."

A couple of Pro Bowlers, DeAngelo Hall and Alge Crumpler, had openly criticized Petrino's domineering tactics. Plenty of others expressed their frustration in private.

"We're not college kids," said Dunn, a 32-year-old, 11-year veteran. "I'm a professional, grown man. Look at me eye to eye. Talk to me. But Bobby wasn't like that."

Dunn said Petrino's rules ranged from a ban on televisions in the locker room at the team's suburban training complex to frowning on any loud talking at team dinners when the Falcons were on the road.

"It got to the point where I never went down to team dinners to eat because I was not going to sit there in silence," Dunn said. "It's a joke. You tell kindergartners things like that."

The first sign of trouble was Hall's sideline confrontation with Petrino in Week 3, which led to the cornerback being fined $100,000 and held out for the first half of the next game.

A couple of weeks later, Crumpler complained about Petrino's offense and said the veterans felt they were being phased out. Those concerns came to a head when 35-year-old Grady Jackson, one of the team's most effective interior linemen, was surprisingly cut during the bye week.

Now playing with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Jackson didn't sound surprised about Petrino's sudden departure.

"It just shows his true color, like a coward with a yellow stripe down his back," Jackson said.

Around the league, others took note of Petrino's shocking departure.

"He snuck out in the middle of the night like the Baltimore Colts did," Kansas City Chiefs running back Kolby Smith said. Smith played for Petrino at Louisville.

Even some of Petrino's fellow coaches were dismayed by his tactics.

"For my profession, I'm always very disappointed when things like this happen," Baltimore's Brian Billick said. "Kind of leave it at that. This profession needs to handle itself better at times."

The Falcons were particularly upset about Petrino's jovial demeanor at his first news conference in Arkansas, where he even participated in the school's "calling the hogs" cheer. It was the first time any of the players could remember him smiling.

"The slap in the face was ultimately when he showed up at a 11 o'clock, or whatever time it was in Arkansas, doing the 'pig sooey' hog call," Milloy said. "It seemed like was right in rhythm with the beat. He had been practicing."

All Petrino left on his way out the door was that letter.

Milloy had a copy of it taped above his locker, with a red "X" through Petrino's words and the player's own assessment written in: "Coward."

"I feel like I've been sleeping with the enemy the past eight months," Milloy said.

Center Todd McClure had no intention of keeping his copy.

"I think it's already in the trash," he said bitterly.

Defensive end Jamaal Anderson, the Falcons' first-round pick from Arkansas, was asked what he would tell his alma mater about its new coach.

"One word: Disloyal," Anderson replied.
I don't care about the Falcons. I don't care about any team other than the lousy Eagles. But this is really low-class, unprofessional behavior.
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2007-12-12 07:59pm, edited 3 times in total.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Take a small wad of cash, and bet on the Dolphins to beat the Patriots. Do it. You know if that happens it will make the entire season worth it.
One of my friends is a diehard Dolphins fan and a compulsive football gambler, every weekend during football season he'll spend a good $50 on Proline tickets.

Everytime he picks the Dolphins, they find a way to screw him over. If he picks them to win, they lose, if he picks them to lose they end up covering the spread or winning outright. He gave up on picking the Dolphins, he says he might as well throw away the ticket if he picks them.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

On the Petrino front, this shouldn't have been a surprise to any one. He left Louisville after one year into a contract he signed for 10 YEARS!

As far as leaving now, he had to. Arkansas was going to fill the void if he hadn't and he needed to get his name attached to the school for recruiting.

I'll say this though; Micheal Vick can squarely take the blame for this as well. If he hadn't fucked up, they would probably still be in the playoff hunt in the NFC and certainly the NFC South.

On the Dolphins front..... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish we played you guys this year so we could get another win! :twisted:
But yeah... I might drop a couple of C-notes on the Dolphins just in case. Hell, they were the last team to beat them.
Last edited by Havok on 2007-12-13 04:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Quorthon wrote:No shit, Hav? I had no idea, thanks for the enlightenment.

I concede that my post seemed reactionary and I apologize. I'm perfectly willing to give Blank a pass for what he said considering the shit he's had to deal with this year, but you know that there are probably going to be plenty of people who won't.
Oh I wasn't directing that at you buddy, just the people in general who I KNEW would take it totally the wrong way. They also gloss over the fact that along with fried chicken he mentioned french fries, not exactly an ethnic food, unless Fat American has become an ethnicity. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

My apologies Havokeff.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

havokeff wrote:

On the Dolphins front..... BWAHAHA
Havekoff, you fucking FAIL
JADAFETWA
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

aerius wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Take a small wad of cash, and bet on the Dolphins to beat the Patriots. Do it. You know if that happens it will make the entire season worth it.
One of my friends is a diehard Dolphins fan and a compulsive football gambler, every weekend during football season he'll spend a good $50 on Proline tickets.

Everytime he picks the Dolphins, they find a way to screw him over. If he picks them to win, they lose, if he picks them to lose they end up covering the spread or winning outright. He gave up on picking the Dolphins, he says he might as well throw away the ticket if he picks them.
Next best thing to knowing a guy who's always right...
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I couldn't resist chuckling when I heard some guy (I think on ESPN) say that Petrino's move make Nick Saban's maneuvering into the Alabama job look classy.

On a separate note, does anybody else think that Arkansas could possibly be guilty of tampering? I'm no legal expert, but Petrino's resignation and hasty hiring by Arkansas seems a bit fishy to me.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The thing is, many contracts have "out" clauses, so it's possible that Petrino didn't break his deal with the Falcons. It'll be a cold day in hell before Blank or Huzienga hires another college coach.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Kuja wrote:
havokeff wrote:

Bitter much? :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Quorthon wrote:I hate to beat a dead horse, but I couldn't resist chuckling when I heard some guy (I think on ESPN) say that Petrino's move make Nick Saban's maneuvering into the Alabama job look classy.

On a separate note, does anybody else think that Arkansas could possibly be guilty of tampering? I'm no legal expert, but Petrino's resignation and hasty hiring by Arkansas seems a bit fishy to me.
Is there a case for this? I thought the tampering rules only applied to other NFL teams... How could the NFL censure ArKansas anyway... not allow their players into the draft for a few years?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

havokeff wrote:
Kuja wrote:
havokeff wrote:

No, you broke the fucking formatting, you fuckin' ape. :banghead:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Chardok wrote:
havokeff wrote:
Kuja wrote: Havekoff, you fucking FAIL
HA! Oh yeah I sure did! Is that what happened to the Dolphins this year? :wink:

EDIT: Fixed it. To bad there isn't an edit button for the Fins.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

havokeff wrote:
Chardok wrote:
havokeff wrote: Bitter much? :wink:
HA! Oh yeah I sure did! Is that what happened to the Dolphins this year? :wink:

EDIT: Fixed it. To bad there isn't an edit button for the Fins.
Now that THAT'S out of the way...

I don't know why you think you can get to me with your jibes, man, you're wasting your breath! I've said that I'm totally okay with our season now. But, I mean...if it makes you feel better, by all means....
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Chardok, all is not lost. The Dolphins still have a crack at...

...THE PATRIOTS!

Don't laugh. Don't cry, either. When division rivals go at it, you can chuck the W-L records. I remember when the Redskins were the defending Super Bowl champions and had a home game against a wretched winless Cowboys team that found new ways to lose every week. The Cowboys won a single game that season, and their upset of the Redskins was it.

Well, I almost wrote that with a straight face. Poor Chardok!

:lol:

I think the Texans will whip the Donkeys tonight.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Has there ever been a college coach that has been truly successful in the NFL? I can't really think of any of the top of my head. Guys like Spurrier and Sabin come in with huge hype and then seem to crash and burn hardcore.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Bill Walsh.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:Chardok, all is not lost. The Dolphins still have a crack at...

...THE PATRIOTS!

Don't laugh. Don't cry, either. When division rivals go at it, you can chuck the W-L records. I remember when the Redskins were the defending Super Bowl champions and had a home game against a wretched winless Cowboys team that found new ways to lose every week. The Cowboys won a single game that season, and their upset of the Redskins was it.

Well, I almost wrote that with a straight face. Poor Chardok!

:lol:

I think the Texans will whip the Donkeys tonight.
:lol: I certainly didn't keep a straight face while reading it! :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Honestly, As has been mentioned before, the dolphins historically have the patriots number, and you can bet that they are (if they're any kind of players) going into that game RABID for not only a NOT perfect winless season, but to end the patriots streak. Hopefully they don't go Fiedler on me.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

OK, assuming the Fins go 0-16, along with the Pats going 19-0, would you rather have that historical "achievement" or the season the Falcons have had?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote:Bill Walsh.
Jimmy Johnson and John Robinson in the 80s (though Robinson, like Walsh, was an assistant with the Raiders, so some might not count those two). You have to go back to the 70s when John McKay, Don Coryell and Dick Vermeil had success. I'm not counting Barry Switzer, since he took over a Dallas team that had won the SB the two previous seasons and war more or less a caretaker.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Suck it down, Donkeys! :lol:

When I picked Houston to win it wasn't just wishful thinking. :twisted:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

havokeff wrote:OK, assuming the Fins go 0-16, along with the Pats going 19-0, would you rather have that historical "achievement" or the season the Falcons have had?
Oh good lord now that's a tough question. I'd probably go with the Falcons, because within five years, everyone will have forgotten about all of the circusy shit save for Michael Vick (who will never play in ATL again). The 2007 Dolphins will never ever be able to live down being highly paid professional athletes who couldn't even win one stinking game in an entire season in this modern era of football.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I really like the red houston jerseys, but the pants are just awful. Switch to red over blue or red over white, it'd look much better.

Anyway.

Cincinnati at San Francisco
New York Jets at New England
Tennessee at Kansas City
Seattle at Carolina
Jacksonville at Pittsburgh- this one pains me to call
Buffalo at Cleveland
Green Bay at St. Louis
Atlanta at Tampa Bay
Arizona at New Orleans
Baltimore at Miami- tough call again, for the opposite reason.
Indianapolis at Oakland
Philadelphia at Dallas
Detroit at San Diego
Washington at New York Giants
Chicago at Minnesota
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Was Mario Williams drafted at 6'7", 291? I don't remember that.