The Whirlwind

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Weee! Moar!

....pretty please? With sugar on top? And a cherry on the sugar?

Also, more Jolan Gix! More! Fanfics for the Fanfic God! (from?)
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

haard
He's through with Gix. There may be more Maladar, but Gix's saga is finished.

I'm waiting for the end of "WhirlWind" and the beginning of "Marriage and Mayhem"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

LadyTevar wrote:haard
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Not at all.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:haard
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Not at all.
*glares*
I beg pardon, I thought you said as much when you finished the story.
Or are you going to take the RP that died and run with it?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Imperial Overlord in the 'In Memoria' thread wrote: Although the tentative title for the next flick involving Jolan Gix is "The Blood of Kings", although I might change it or Latin it up.

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

ok... I'm an idjit. :lol:

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Whenever there is a world wrecking catastrophe, you can be sure there is a male at the heart of it.

-Dread Queen Sheharith

The spires and towers of a twisted castle rose high above the crag upon which is was built. Below the castle slaves worked the marginal fields on the plain below under the harsh glare of demonic overseers. Suffering and horror were ever present in this place.

Blood red lightning flashed across a quicksilver sky. It grew brighter and brighter, bathing the land beneath the dome of the Lesser Ward in bloody light. Heads turned toward the sky. The lightning grew intolerably bright. Men and demons looked away.

Thunder boomed. The lightning vanished and the silver dome began to melt away, revealing a blue sky beyond. Demons bellowed and howled, chorttling and cackling with glee as they realized they were free. No longer would they be confined to small patch of land and a handful of victims. No longer would they merely devastate a country, but now how worlds would feel the lash of their rage and hate.

The a patch of ground near the castle fell away and a nightmare tree of bone and brass rose from the hole. Stretching nearly five hundred feet in heigh and hung with glass globes that dangled like over ripe fruit, the tree gathered shadow to it as a fell wind moaned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A blast of chill wind struck the adventurers in the wake of the thunder. It cut through clothes, armour, and wards to freeze the bones. "Gods," Sylvetria said, "what is that?"

Nalifan and Trizkel looked at the sky. Arinyaniquis intoned a spell. "Gods beyond," he whispered.

"What is it?" Sylvetria asked again.

"Something is drawing the dead," said Nalifan.

"The same thing that shattered the Wards," said Trizkel.

"A death engine, probably," said Nalifan. "That's how the demons gathered enough energy to break out. Now its drawing on all the dead outside the Lesser Ward."

"What do you think they will do?" asked Arinyaniquis.

"They have a death powered machine that breaks down planar boundaries," said Nalifan. "Not being born of the Abyss, they can't be banished back there. They will open portals to the Abyss to draw forth new demon hordes and then to other worlds."

"Gods," said Mikos.

"They might help," said Nalifan, "but their record against demon hordes isn't that impressive."

"Anything we can do?" asked Sylvetria.

"Well, I could probably figure out how the death engine works, given enough time," said Nalifan.

"If we can get there in time," said Mikos.

"Easily done," said Nalifan. "Scrying to find the death engine will be easy and then a teleport scroll will take us there."

"Do it," Sylvetria said.

Nalifan looked over at Trizkel. "Do it," said Trizkel. "We should clean up our mess."

"Not our mess," said Nalifan. "This would have happened eventually without us. They're just lucky that we started the whole process early."

"And are capable of stopping it," said Sylvetria.

"You'll have to keep the demons off my back while I'm working," warned Nalifan.

"We'll take care of it," said Trizkel. "Let's get started."'

"No need to be pushy," said Nalifan. "I wouldn't turn down a chance to examine this death engine. I hope you're ready to be up to your hips in demons."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TeamhairTahal: Oh yes, Nal would LOVE to see a DeathEngine.
ImperialFeline: the current owners sadly don't allow for inspections or tourists
TeamhairTahal: I'm sure they can be made to see reason ;)
ImperialFeline: I'm sure they'll be as sweet and reasonable as Cersei Lannister.
Sorry, IO... I had to share that one. ;)

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

What is a hero? Men with hands soaked with innocent blood have been called heroes. Young women who have never wielded a blade or cast a spell have been so titled. What unites both monster and saint? Courage and determination. A hero is one that does what must be done, no matter the cost. Such deeds do not absolve them of their sins, although they may mitigate their crimes. For those shining moments, however mundane or despicable the rest of their lives may be, we honor them in song and story.

-Meerin, the Bard of Featherdale

Cinderheart spread out all four of his arms. The violet lights in his eye sockets shone like stars. "Behold, my mistress. The Apparatus is free. It eats the dead of an entire world, centuries worth of them. Soon it will have the power to shatter the barriers between worlds and bring whole pantheons to their knees. You will reign supreme over countless worlds."

Xyzasha joined the glaberzu on the tower balcony. Behind them lurked the gross form of Corpse Grinder. The demon queen's head tendrils writhed in anticipation as she looked at the nightmare instrument hanging in the sky.

The Apparatus hung nearly a mile above the earth, the eye of a nightmare storm. Howling winds rushed towards it from all directions only to be absorbed by the glass globes hanging from its branches. Xyzasha licked her lips. "All those delicious dead."

"Yes, my mistress," said Cinderheart. "All that power is yours."

The demon queen's left hand stroked down Cinderheart's heavily muscled abdomen and slithered towards his groin. "You will be well rewarded for this service," she hissed.

Cinderheart chuckled. Xyzasha didn't know that he would always be master of the Apparatus and that within a few days time he would be her new master as well. The prospect of having the demon queen as his slave was even more enticing than the caresses she was favoring him with. Soon everything would be his.

"Bone and ash!" Xyzasha screamed in anger. The fury of her mind and voice filled the castle. "My warriors, attend me! Bone raptors, to the air! Slay those who would seize my prize." Fury radiated from the demon queen. Toying with and eating her treacherous minion would have to wait until her victory was secure.. She hated postponing her pleasures.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A popping sound of displaced air preceded the arrival of the adventurers by a a fraction of a second. Their was a flash of light and then they were falling through the sky before they caught and righted themselves.

"I hate this falling shit," muttered Sylvetria. "This flying shit is severely over rated. In Tempus's name, give me a gods damned horse."

Nalifan and Trizkel dropped towards the Apparatus. "This is too easy," said Trizkel.

"Of course it is," said Nalifan. "It's hanging up in the sky to suck up souls as quickly as possible in the middle of demon territory. No one has been able to teleport for centuries. Of course it's easy. Who would be able to reach it this quickly?" The arch-necromancer landed on one of the upper branches. He stroked the trunk of the blasphemous device, bleached white bone bound with rune covered brass plates.

"Us," said Trizkel.

"Yes," said Nalifan. Arinyaniquis and Mikos floated down to just above the drow's heads. "Odds are we're going to have company soon. Buy me time."

A swarm of black winged shapes began to appear around the towers of the Citadel of Claws. The popped into existence out of nowhere, the swarm growing in numbers every second. "Shit," said Trizkel.

Nalifan looked away from the runed covered brass plates for a moment. "What is it?"

They were a mile away, but that was still close enough for Trizkel's enhanced vision to clearly make out details. "A shit load of vrocks," the drow replied. "Two score maybe. And they've decided to start coming our way."

"Sounds like a handful," said Nalifan. "Youhad better start killing. This is going to take a while and more company should be on its way."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The term "Hero in spite of himself" comes to mind :lol:

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

You know, in a situation like this it's a shame that the person who can decypher wierd shit and the person with the talent for incinerating large amounts of shit all at once at the same person.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The Imaskari could thwart the gods themselves, but in the end even they fell. The Netherese could rip cities out of the ground and set them in the air and challenge the gods themselves and they too are gone. Jerghal was one of the mightiest gods ever to exist and he declined to face three mortals in battle. Two of those gods are dead now, and the third has been reborn. What is the moral of these stories? Even the mightiest may perish.

-Askare, Sage of Candlekeep.

Arinyaniquis had been drawn into this battle almost without discussion or consultation. He knew as well as the dhaerow that the fate of his people was at stake. The dhaerow had not bother asking. Nalifan had seen the look on his face and that had been enough. Arinyaniquis would fight to his last breath and beyond to avert this cataclysm.

Trust and distrust had ceased to be an issue. There was now only a struggle to avert catastrophe and Arinyaniquis was mostly pleased that his allies of necessity seemed to be so competent. Only mostly pleased because if they one that could make things much more difficult in the aftermath. But that was the future. For now a host of winged demons were approaching.

The elf settled on one of the bone tree's obscene branches. Many of his most potent spells had been spent, but he retained many other. The Heart of Winter still had a little power left in it. "Leave these ones to me," he announced in the language of the People.

The initiators of a spell left his lips and power flowed from him, enhanced by the power of the Heart of Winter. From below he could hear the terrible cries to the vulture-like vrocks as their powerful wings beat the air, carrying them up towards him. The spell finished.

Their cries turned to ones of dismay. Ice formed on their feathers, crippling their wings. They shouted and screamed as they fell from the sky. A few teleported away in a vain attempt to save themselves, but that would not save them from the velocity they had already accrued. Their bodies exploded like bags of feathers and blood as they struck the castle and crags below.

Above the adventurers a small host of demons popped into existence. A dozen toad like hezrou demons lead by a pair of four armed glabrezu and the fearsome, flaming balor Melkreder. Melkreder's wings and sorcery allowed the demons to fly rather than fall as they pounced on the adventurers.

Mikos's bow sung. One of the glabrezu's pounce became a fall as arrows sprouted from his chest and throat. He tumbled passed the Dalesman towards the crag's below. Trizkel met the charge of a hezrou head on, opening the demon's belly and throat before it could strike. Black blood poured from the wounds and the dying demon fell away from his slayer.

Melkreder's many tailed whip closed around Sylvetria's body. The barbs could not bite her flesh through her enchanted armour, but the fires would cook her eventually. The demon was not inclined to waste that much time. He smashed her against the trunk of the Apparatus, stunning her, and raised his sword to finish her.

Arinyaniquis blasted three hezrous into ice coated statues with a single sorcerous working. Nalifan blew three more apart with an invisible pulse of force that ripped flesh from bone. Bloody chunks of flesh and slimy bones fell to the earth around the drow as he intoned another spell. Mikos tore into a pair of hezrou with his swords as Melkreder's sword dropped from his hands.

Trizkel twisted Ruinbringer as he tore it out of the demon's arm. He had used his powers to switch places with Sylvetria, teleporting here in her place to face the balor. The drow thrust Mind Eater towards the demon's gut. Melkreder retreated slightly and lashed out with his whip.

Trizkel ducked under the strands and spat a stream of acid into the demon's left wing. The demon screamed as muscle, skin, and bone dissolved under the acid spray. The balor fell, bellows of fury escaping his fanged maw. Black lightning sizzled around the demon's fingers, forming a sphere of awful potency. The falling demon unleashed the terrible magics against Trizkel.

Black lightning washed over the drow, but did not bite him. Trizkel laughed and danced through the air to slay another demon as Melkreder crashed into one of the many courtyards of the Citadel of Claws. A hundred demons were consumed by his death flash.

"Nicely done," said Nalifan as he began another spell. Xyzasha hissed as she saw her champion perish. She turned to Cinderheart. "Use the Apparatus's power. Destroy them. Now."

The glabrezu cringed. "Mightiest of mistresses, one of those above us has disrupted my control of the-" Xyzasha struck. Black blood poured from the ruin of Cinderheart's throat. The demon went down on his knees, his humanoid pair of hands trying to stem the flood of blood pouring from the wound.

"Then I have no more use left for you," said Xyzasha. She dropped the gobbet of flesh she held in her right hand. "Summon the rest of my guard," she ordered Corpse Grinder.

"As you command, my queen," said the nalfeshnee in a most obsequious tone, bowing low.

"It appears I will have to deal with these mortal vermin personally."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2007-12-18 08:57am, edited 2 times in total.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

If you should have the misfortune to come face to with a prince of demons, slit your own throat. You are facing a being with power that rivals a god. You cannot win a fight and if you run you'll only die tired. Better to end it quick before it inflicts unspeakable horror upon you.

-Cerdrano, mercenary and planar traveler

I hate hell bitches.

-Trizkel

Sylvetria leaned against the main trunk of the Apparatus and sucked in deep breaths. "Nal," Trizkel said, "how much longer?"

"A bit," replied the arch-necromancer.

"Any chance that you could hurry it up?"

"I am hurrying," Nalifan answered. "Whatever it is, kill it and stop bothering me."

"Easier said than done," muttered Trizkel. "Alright," he said in a louder voice, "anything that lives can die. Let's kill them all."

Six winged humanoids in spiked black plate armour rose into the sky, forming a vanguard in front of their mistress and her nalfeshnee vizier. "Mikos," said Trizkel, "kill the nalfeshnee."

"What about the female?" the Dalesman asked as he knocked an arrow. "She's got to be a spell slinger."

"She won't die easy," said Trizkel. The aura of power around her almost blinded his enhanced vision. "Take the kill you can make."

The demons rose higher. Light flashed from the nalfeshnee and struck Arinyaniquis. The elf's eyes rolled back and he floated motionless. "Fuck," Trizkel swore. There was a dull crashing sound as air rushed into the space he had formerly occupied.

Instead of reappearing behind Corpse Grinder, Trizkel found himself face to face with one of the armoured demons. Bitch must have fucked with my teleport, he thought as he dodged out of the way of the demon's spiked mace. Ruinbringer skittered off the demon's breastplate, but Mind Eater slid through the gap under the demon's armpit and drew blood. The demon twisted away and Trizkel stabbed it in the throat. Ruinbringer punched through the gorget and smoking blood geysered from the wound.

Two others closed on Trizkel. Mikos loosed. The arrow flew straight and true, blazing white as it struck Corpse Grinder's wards. The shaft continued forward and struck the demon right between the eyes. The tanar'ri convulsed and fell.

"Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" shouted Sylvetria as she charged into the midst of the armoured demons. Her lance punched through a breastplate and out a backplate. She dropped the weapon as the mortally wounded demon fell and met another one head on with her warhammer.

As his lover shed demon blood Trizkel dodged away from one and flanked the other. His blades flashed, aiming for the gaps in their enchanted armour. Ruinbringer went almost to the hilt in a demon's waist as Sylvetria caved in another demon's chest. Mikos put three arrows in the chest of one of the remaining ones. The other flinched and dropped back.

Xyzasha seized her minion from behind and pulled his head off. Black blood fountained from the wound as she tossed the head and body in different directions. "Useless coward," she cursed. A wave of power pulsed out from her. "Now my brave heroes, bow to your mistress and swear fealty to me."

Mikos blinked and lowered his bow. Sylvetria's eyes fluttered her warhammer vanished. "That's it," Xyzasha cooed. "Come to me and receive the caresses of your mistress." Sylvetria drifted towards the demon queen.

"No!" Trizkel yelled. The Eyes of Arachnidae protected him from mind influencing spells, something he was very well equipped to fight off as a result of his training and heritage. He lunged.

She slapped him away like an impetuous child. The force of the blow would have snapped his neck if he hadn't been so heavily warded. He drifted away, stunned.

Arinyaniquis had recovered from the spell that the nalfeshnee had struck him with. Jagged blades of azure force sprung from his hands. Most of them shattered harmlessly on Xyzasha's skin, but several opened shallow wounds on her flesh. "Die elf," she hissed and extended her talon-tipped hands. A bolt of crackling black energy flashed from her finger tips and struck Arinyaniquis in the stomach. The elf bent over and tried to scream. Bloody froth erupted from mouth.

Xyzasha's gaze briefly lingered on Sylvetria and the delicious possibilities inherent in breaking a strong willed warrior woman and reducing her to a pet with no more comprehension of language than a dog. As appealing as that was, the elf necromancer had to be dealt with first. She flew up towards the Apparatus.

Trizkel crashed into her in a brutal body tackle. She broke his hold on her and tossed him away. Trizkel came back at her, swords in hand. "You are persistent vermin. I wonder how long that spirit will survive my torture chambers?"

Trizkel answered her with flashing blades. Shallow wounds were torn in the demon queen's flesh. She hissed her annoyance and struck back with her talons. Trizkel danced away and opened a shallow cut on her wrists. "Perhaps I will ride you until you can pleasure me no more and then I shall strip your flesh from your bones and then crack open your bones for your marrow while your lover watches? I can keep you alive through all that, all the way up to the end when I devour your brain."

Trizkel's response was to strike again, opening a shallow wound in her belly and her thigh. She hissed and struck back, but again the drow was too quick for her. She flew back and unleashed another bolt of crackling black energy. It struck Trizkel in the left shoulder.

The drow screamed in agony and his arm spasmed. Mind Eater fell from his fingers to the ground below. Trizkel's jaw dropped and he exhaled a blast of acid that struck the demon queen in the abdomen. Skin dissolved as it was touched by the corrosive spray and it mixed with the wounds already inflicted upon her. She screamed as her flesh burned.

Trizkel lunged and rammed Ruinbringer into her stomach, angling the blade up. The sword bit deep, going almost all the way up the the hilt. Scalding blood poured over his hand. Xyzasha smashed him with her forearm and he fell away from her. The demon queen pounced, striking with her claws, tearing Ruinbringer out of his grasp and ripping through his wards as if they were paper. Blood spewed and then she stopped, looking up.

Black lightning writhed around Nalifan like a star's corona as he tapped into the legions of dead bound by the Apparatus. His gaze was implacable. He uttered no boasts or taunts. Death lightning poured from his outstretched hand. The black lightning tore through the demon queen's chest and out the other side. Her whole body crackled with virulent necromantic energies. Her flesh shriveled and skin cracked. Her blood and eyes boiled. Limp hands dropped to her sides and she from the skies.

"All those who raise arms against me and mine will pay the price," Nalifan whispered. "Always."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2007-12-18 08:59am, edited 1 time in total.
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

This is pure awesomness!

Typo gremlin wrote:
The elf settled one one of the bone tree's obscene branches.
The aura of power around her was almost blinded his enhanced vision.

The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

I wonder what's the challenge rating of a demon queen :o . And what Nalifan's going to create/research with the sample of protogod/demon queen flesh he's collected :) .
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Only half the job is done when the dread lord is slain. The other half, alas, is less glamorous and rarely makes it into song.

-Meerin, the Bard of Featherdale

Clean up is a job best left for males.

-Dread Queen Sheharith, advising her daughters

Arinyaniquis inclined his head respectfully as Endire approached. Nearly five hundred tribesmen were behind the elder elf, moving down to seize territory that was no longer controlled by the overmasters. The land of the Achenoi would take decades to stabilize and recover from the many disasters and upheavals inflicted upon it and every corner of the world would have cause to fear the surviving demons that had scattered like the wind.

Endire strode across the long summer grass and embraced the younger elf. "I am sorry," the elder said, "we misjudged the situation. We should have given you greater direct aid."

"No," said Arinyaniquis, "you acted correctly. You could not have anticipated that the dhaerow and their allies were that strong and destructive. You had to safeguard all our people, including the enclave you have hidden from the others."

"You guessed."

"No other secret could be as valuable. To act was to endanger our race, to fail to act was to condemn it to slavery and exile. The decisions must have been difficult."

"I'm glad you understand. With so many of them slain and their own people rejecting the overmasters' yoke, we can act openly now."

"I see that," said Arinyaniquis. "And I see you have not lost any time."

"Our allies are our allies. We will help defend them and see that they get better lands. We must plant the seeds of the future trees." Arinyaniquis looked at him funny. "I'm sorry," said Endire, "forest metaphors used to be more commonly used. A sign of age. What of the dhaerow?"

"Not much more to tell," said Arinyaniquis. "They dismantled the Apparatus, retrieved their weapons, and looted the fortress. Nalifan was interested in our ice magic, but he knew we would not share it with him. He isn't what I thought a dhaerow would be, but he is dangerous and power hungry."

"The council would have agreed with your assessment, I think," said Endire. "What then?"

"They left, back to whatever world they hailed from."

"I see," said Endire.

"What is it you are not telling me?" asked Arinyaniquis.

"Celenis has had visions. We think they are from the Seladrine."

"And?"

"This dhaerow, Nalifan. The gods have a role for him to play."

"He left unhindered and unharmed by me."

"Good."

"That is not what the expression on your face says."

"That is pity. There is no fate more terrible than being an instrument of the gods. Ours are among the most compassionate and caring and I say that. Perhaps the future they anticipate will not come to pass."

"Perhaps. Perhaps not. I sense he has committed many crimes. Perhaps it is fitting that he pays for them."

"I would not wish that on anyone."