Suggestions for a SW/B5 fanfic?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Suggestions for a SW/B5 fanfic?

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

I have been thinking, since there are so many ST/SW fanfics around at the moment, something a bit different would be intriguing.So i thought of writing a SW/B5 fanfic.So i have a few questions regarding the basic setting and the power level comparing of both universes, answer if you are interested.

As we all without a doubt know, SW is easilly hundreds of times more powerfull in terms of military technology than B5.So i thought that if im going to use the most conservative estimates for SW and some of the highest ones for B5. In essence the minimum of 60 Teratonn shielding for ISDII's and around 1-5 megaton per second output for the Omega's x-ray lasers.

So what do you think?Would this kind of fanfic raise anyones interest?Feel free to post your suggestions,ideas and comments about this.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

It might make a good fanfic if you don't try to make it a purely military fanfic. You can't tell a good war story with the disparity, however there are ways to tell a good crossover story.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I'm just adding to what Stormbringer said. You can't do a pure one on one with SW because it simply would not be interesting, there aren't enough contrivances that you can create to explain away a B5 victory. (And if you do the open a jump point in something routine I will do all in my power to have you banned form this site. :wink: )

If you focus on a small personal story, maybe between characters from B-5 interacting with SW characters then it could prove interesting but otherwise it just won't work and remain believable for the readers who are in the know.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Rhoades
Youngling

Post by Rhoades »

Stormbringer and Stravo have excellent points. The most important thing that makes an excellent story are it's characters. They're the ones who should us care about the piece. Another piece of advice if you plan a military, don't really focus on what the calculations state about B5's and SW's weapons. If one side is hopelessly outbalanced against another in the story, then it will a boring slaughter or a poorly contrived victory.

Personally, I don't care if you fix what the power levels to be even. A ST/SW war story where the power ration between an GCS and an ISD are toe-to-toe is far more interesting that a loop-side one. Just for the point it creates more suspense, and makes it more real.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I agree. The interesting thing with B5 was always the characters and the way they interacted. I love B5, and I wish that there were more fanfics out there, but the fact remains that B5 is a very difficult series to write fanfic for.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

If you're looking for decent B5 fanfic www.jumpnow.de isn' too bad. But be warned it skews to the romantic.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Another way to go with this would be to do something with an SW faction other than the GE stumbling upon the B5 universe and doing something other than launching a conquest.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

As I've said before, properly done, an excellent B5/SW fic would be a spy vs spy novel of an Imperial Inquisitor hunting Morden and the Shadows as they try to subvert the Empire. Ignores the gross power differances, and is something I have never seen done before
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Incidentally, almost all inter-universe sci-fi fanfics fudge the numbers of the two sides considerably, in order to make it more balanced. It's no fun watching an ISD waltz through UFP ships the way the numbers show they would, because the UFP simply has NO CHANCE. It's similarly no fun to see an NFL team take on the local High School, or watching a boxing match between Connie Chung and Evander Hollyfield. There's a reason that sports like wrestling and boxing have weight divisions. It is not fun to see someone who has no chance losing. Writers like Mike Wong and Stravo thus fudge the numbers a little bit--not a lot--but a little bit, just to make it seem like there's actually a chance some harm may befall an ISD, or the Emperor's Will. There's tension in the Fanfic, and without some number-fudging there wouldn't be. The same should be true with a SW-B5 crossover. Some number-fudging is necessary and acceptable.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Well i thought to make it a military fic altough not purely a military fic.
I have been thinking of ways how to do it,if i use the GE as the invader which is the most common way,i would have to figure out a way to strip them of possible reinforcements and have only one fixed fleet,because with reinforcements from the SW galaxy, it would be even a greater slaughter. But what allso makes the fic interesting even if it is a slaughter, that there first seems to be no spark of hope.

Ender: What if i take both :twisted:

Stravo: I did not even cross my mind of using the so famous jump point tactics :wink:
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

How about a wormhole between the two galaxies that collapses after one ship goes through? Like Michael January's ISD Eliminator story, where the Star destroyer gets stuck in the ST universe.

Then again, I have to admit that every time I watch the Battle of the Line, I keep thinking how it would have ended differently if a single Star Destroyer had been there.

I.e. the Minbari send in their scouting fighters, and all they see is a single starship there, only a mile long (Minbari cruisers are ~2 mile tall, I think). So they figure no big deal, and attack.

Then the turbolaser blasts start popping off, and the warrior caste realizes they have met their match.
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

I was thinking something along the lines of that myself.Damn there are just too many different scenarios, i have to think about it for a while and when the most interesting scenario pops to my head ill star writing.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I agree, limit to only one ship (biggish) or a task force of smaller ships. That way you won't have the SW faction trampling across everyone else... Although it would be nice to see them humble a FO every now and then...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Hmmm that is an idea .How would a Star Destroyers crew react if the arrived ayt Earth just before the battle of the line and find these humans readying to defend themselves from and alien attack
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

The other idea i had was to place a smallish imperial task force at the B5 galaxy around the time of the Shadow war, how would the Shadows and Vorlons react when they would notice that these extra galactic invaders put their power to shame.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

One of the TEchno Mages ends up in the SW galaxy, a bounty goes out on his head, Boba Fett hunts him down?

Maybe Vader thinks that its a Jedi he missed during the purge and has a go at it.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Make it a primerily missile based ship, and they have to worry about conserving ammo, sure, they can destroy any ship they encounter, but they can only do it so many times. Hell, maybe have all of their Tibanna gas be horribly contaminated, so their turbolasers are at less than a thousandth of their usual strength, wait, better make it a millionth.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

consequences wrote:Make it a primerily missile based ship, and they have to worry about conserving ammo, sure, they can destroy any ship they encounter, but they can only do it so many times. Hell, maybe have all of their Tibanna gas be horribly contaminated, so their turbolasers are at less than a thousandth of their usual strength, wait, better make it a millionth.
Or just have the ship damaged in tranist. That'd make it easier and more believe able.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Or just have the ship damaged in tranist. That'd make it easier and more believe able.
How 'bout a VSD that has run out of missiles and whose ray shields have been destroyed? I'd love to see a VSD based fic for once.

The Imps could become mercenaries.
Supermod
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Very good ideas guys, i thought that if i have the time tomorrow i will write a prologue of the story, but as a writer i have the problem that when i get so many good ideas for scenarios, it gets harder and harder to decide what to use.

Allso what would you think if i used some of board members in the story?Would it fit?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
How 'bout a VSD that has run out of missiles and whose ray shields have been destroyed? I'd love to see a VSD based fic for once.

The Imps could become mercenaries.
Read Deceiver mortal fool!