NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Giants punt after Manning is sacked for a 14 yd loss. No return and the Patriots start their drive on their own 18.

End of the 3rd quarter.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Pats score the TD then follow that up with a 2 point conversion. 31-28 Patriots.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Pats score the TD then follow that up with a 2 point conversion. 31-28 Patriots.
Sixty-five yard TD pass Brady to Moss on that one.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Hell. Manning throws an interception to Hobbs. Patriots ball on the NY 35.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Touchdown Patriots and PAT made good. Score now 38-28.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Yep, now their lead is a bit more comfortable as Manning looks like the pressure is getting to him. 2 minutes to go!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Two minute warning. Giants are in the red zone —1st and 10 on the NE 16.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Whoops, unintentional duplicate post on my part...that's what I get posting via crappy PDA IE browser. :oops:
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2007-12-30 02:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Manning completes on a 12 yd pass to Smith. 1st and goal to go with 1.22 left in regulation.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Manning to Buress 3 yd TD pass, Tynes PAT good and the score is now 38-35 Patriots with a minute and change left. It's obvious what the next play is going to be, and New England I believe is going to escape with the win in this one.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

WHAT A GAME.
JADAFETWA
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Too little too late. 38-35 win for New England who complete a perfect regular season.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Fantastic. That was a classic, nerve-wracking game. Awesome, awesome, awesome! :D

Can I just mention that I hate all New York sports fans? Just in general? They boo a hell of a lot more than any other fans I've ever heard.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Kuja wrote:WHAT A GAME.
It was at least a lot more of a fight than New England has faced all season. Either the Giants were that good to actually challenge or the Patriots are starting to wear thin with the playoff stretch coming.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Fantastic. That was a classic, nerve-wracking game. Awesome, awesome, awesome! :D

Can I just mention that I hate all New York sports fans? Just in general? They boo a hell of a lot more than any other fans I've ever heard.
Have you seen any Cleveland or Philly games? They're worse.

All due credit to New England. They're not done yet, and I'd rather see Seattle win, but congratulations regardless.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Fantastic. That was a classic, nerve-wracking game. Awesome, awesome, awesome! :D

You can mention it, so long that I can mention that you, sir, can go to hell. :wink:

It looked like we might have them for a while, but we just came up short. We can go into the playoffs knowing that we gave the Mighty Patriots the fight of the season.

Can I mention how much I hate Patriot fans, while we're at it?

They exist.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Manning and Toomer are the goats of this game. Toomer's granite hands, plus idiotic PF, and Manning's chokes on consecutive drives (fumbled snap, two fubar passes, punt on the first; INT on the second) brought Don Meredith's version of this classic song to mind:

The Party's Over
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Cheating Cheaters Cheat Their Way Into Perfect* Season
16-0*! Patriots* finish regular season unbeaten
Brady leads team to tough win over Giants, now turns focus to playoffs

updated 10:15 p.m. PT, Sat., Dec. 29, 2007
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Tom Brady was as giddy as the quarterback of an unbeaten and perhaps unbeatable team should be. Had Bill Belichick spotted him slapping the backs of his New England* teammates, the dour coach might have scoffed.

After all, a perfect 16-0* regular season won’t mean much if the Patriots* don’t win their next three games and another Super Bowl.

“We’ve been dealing with being undefeated all season,” Brady said Saturday night after the thrilling 38-35 victory over the New York Giants in a game worthy of the NFL’s championship showcase. “It was kind of a strange game. It really doesn’t mean much to either team, but it means a lot.”

New England* became the first NFL team since the 1972 Dolphins to win every game on the schedule, and that one was only 14-0. This victory required a Brady-engineered comeback from a 12-point deficit and smashed the Patriots’* league mark for consecutive victories.

“Going undefeated during the regular season is a remarkable achievement,” 1972 Dolphins coach Don Shula said. “I know firsthand how difficult it is to win every game, and just as we did in 1972, the Patriots* have done a great job concentrating on each week’s opponent and not letting any other distractions interrupt that focus. If they go on to complete an undefeated season, I will be the first to congratulate Coach Belichick and the Patriot* organization.”

Validation of the Patriots’* inexorable march through the season can only come by adding a Super Bowl championship. Do that, and there’ll be no challenge to their spot at the top.

“Hats off to us,” said record-setting receiver Randy Moss, who caught Brady’s 65-yard bomb for the go-ahead score that set two major records. “I know a lot of people didn’t think we were going to do it. A lot of people didn’t want us to do it.

“In this game of football, it’s hard to go 16-and-0*. As a football player and a fan of the game, my hat’s off to this organization.”

In gaining their 19th straight win over two seasons, the Patriots* went on top on Brady’s 50th touchdown pass of the year and Moss’ 23rd TD reception. It came with 11:06 remaining.

Brady beat Peyton Manning’s mark of 49 touchdown passes and Moss broke Jerry Rice’s record of 22 TD receptions. And the Patriots* finished with an incredible 589 points for the season, another single-season record.

Once the victory was clinched, Belichick was barely more animated than usual. He shared hugs with players and assistant coaches on the sideline, but there was no thought of carrying him off on the Patriots’* shoulders or dumping Gatorade all over him.

That will have to wait for three more wins — if they come.

“It’s a great feeling,” Belichick admitted. “Now is the time to take a day or two and appreciate what this team has done, but at the same time we have our biggest game of the year coming up. Pretty soon we need to turn the page and move on.”

Who knows, the Patriots* might even find the Giants on one of the next pages, especially if Eli Manning again resembles his vaunted older brother.

“We didn’t win the game, but if you saw everybody in the locker room, everybody was excited,” Manning said. “I never saw a locker room so upbeat after a loss because we played so well, did some good things and hung in there in a game where we didn’t have to play. We wanted to. We wanted to come out and play well, and we did that.”

The Giants (10-6), already guaranteed a playoff game against Tampa Bay next weekend and with little to play for except spoiling New England’s* perfect ride, led 28-16 in the third quarter. It was the Patriots’* largest deficit all year as the Giants showed no fear and plenty of versatility, scoring the most points New England* allowed in a game during this remarkable run.

Manning threw for four touchdowns and Domenik Hixon, in his first game as New York’s primary kick returner, went 74 yards for a score 11 seconds after Brady and Moss tied their respective records.

Not to worry. These Patriots* are unflappable, and they matched their comebacks in wins over Dallas, Indianapolis, Philadelphia and Baltimore earlier in the season. A 73-yard drive ended with Laurence Maroney’s 6-yard run to make it 28-23 with 4:00 to go in the third period.

Then came the most familiar of scenes: Brady dropping back, winding up and hitting a wide-open Moss in stride for a touchdown. The final go-ahead TD in their perfect* year.

“What I’m most proud of is playing a playoff team on the road that was playing extremely hard,” Brady said. “We found a way to come back and win. We did the same thing at Dallas. We did the same thing at Indy. We’ve been in some tough games.

“Everyone is going to enjoy this one. It happens once every 35 years.”

Although many are eager to hail these Patriots* as the NFL’s all-time best, such acclaim won’t come unless they win two playoff games and their fourth Super Bowl this decade. And for those who might deny such greatness considering the “Spygate” scandal, well, 19-0* would speak pretty loudly.

********Certainly louder than any postgame celebrations at Giants Stadium, the same building where they were caught videotaping New York Jets assistant coaches in Week 1, a rules violation that cost Belichick and the franchise $750,000 in fines and a 2008 first-round draft choice. That made Belichick even more close-mouthed and dour than usual, and his team followed his lead — right to 16-0.********
Asterisk! ASTERISK!!!

I hope Tampa kicks the shit out of the Giants next week. Looks unlikely, but still. I'd love to see Tampa pull a surprise win over NE so I can rub it in the faces of my douchebag relatives.
Last edited by Flagg on 2007-12-30 05:11am, edited 2 times in total.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I don't hate them. I reserve my hatred for actual human beings. :twisted:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I did not expect the Giants to put up that good of a fight.
Get some
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Flagg wrote:<SNIP>
Yeah, asterisk for having a video camera on the sidelines for the first game. . . against an opponent they never played again. . . so it wouldn't have helped at all even if they were cheating. :roll: The Patriots kick ass, and some people just don't want to accept it. :P
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Qwerty 42 wrote:

Have you seen any Cleveland or Philly games? They're worse.
Philadelphia fans are rude and inconsiderate and loud and obnoxious..... And amazingly fun to go to games with if you're a Philly fan too :wink:

That being said, anyone watching the last Eagles game today?
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Flagg wrote:Asterisk! ASTERISK!!!
:roll:
JADAFETWA
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Kuja wrote:WHAT A GAME.
It was at least a lot more of a fight than New England has faced all season. Either the Giants were that good to actually challenge or the Patriots are starting to wear thin with the playoff stretch coming.
I would contend that the Ravens holding a lead into the last two minutes of the game and winning but for the malfeasance of the officials qualifies as the toughest fight NE faced this year.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Yeah, asterisk for having a video camera on the sidelines for the first game. . . against an opponent they never played again. . . so it wouldn't have helped at all even if they were cheating. :roll: The Patriots kick ass, and some people just don't want to accept it. :P
Is it just this site or are ALL Patriots apologists total retards who know nothing of football? They did play the Jets again, you fucking idiot. They beat them 38-14 in the first week, and 20-10 in Week 15. Since the Jets and Pats are in the same division, they ALWAYS play each other twice in a season.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."