NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Gates is 50/50 on playing next week, which is bad news but not nearly as bad as I thought last night.

Turner made the conscious decision to wean Rivers off of Tomlinson and Gates and it certainly paid off yesterday. The Titans shut down the two main offensive players and still lost by double digits. Finally the Chargers can make defenses pay when they stack the line and double the TE.
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Elfdart wrote:
Schuyler Colfax wrote:
Elfdart wrote:This weekend's winners:

Jaguars
Buccaneers
Redskins
Chargers
Didn't the Giants beat the Buccaneers?
Screw the NFC! :P
And the Redskins lost to the Seahawks. You might want to check twice before posting these things, Elfdart. :P
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I knew the results. That's why that conference blows. :lol:
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Well, the Niners hired Mike Martz for their offensive coordinator.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

You beat me to it MoO. It's the first Niner related bright spot i've seen since the day before we played Pittsburgh (yeah I know it was week 3....)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Fanboy wrote:You beat me to it MoO. It's the first Niner related bright spot i've seen since the day before we played Pittsburgh (yeah I know it was week 3....)
Good choice for the Niners. Quarterback and wideout should no longer be liabilities next season. Now all they need to do is shore up their O-line and they should at least make the wild card round next year. Especially if Mike Holmgren retires in Seattle.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:You beat me to it MoO. It's the first Niner related bright spot i've seen since the day before we played Pittsburgh (yeah I know it was week 3....)
Good choice for the Niners. Quarterback and wideout should no longer be liabilities next season. Now all they need to do is shore up their O-line and they should at least make the wild card round next year. Especially if Mike Holmgren retires in Seattle.
Well, they should probably get some wideouts first.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Receivers who can get open and catch are a dime a dozen. O-linemen who can hold their blocks are not.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I'm going to be out of town, so I'd better get my picks in now:

Chargers
Patriots
Cowboys
Seahawks
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:I'm going to be out of town, so I'd better get my picks in now:

Chargers
Patriots
Cowboys
Seahawks
Hawks and boys? Fuck that noise.

I wouldn't pick anyone over Green Bay @ home even if hell (or Iraq) froze over. Yes, Michael Vick and the Falcons 2 or 3 years ago -- whatever, I still refuse to.

Also, the Giants are hot and the Cowboys are NOT. That may sound simplistic but G-men at least showed they can hang with the Patriots and that's impressive in it's own right. They're a good road team as it's so often noted but I'd pick them just based off their potential to hange with a 16-0 football team.

As for the Pats and Jaguars, I could come up with a list of reasons why it just doesn't seem like Jacksonville stacks up but ... I can't pick the Patriots. I hate them and their fans are worse than those gnats that fly up your fucking nose, worse I tell you. Someone has to humble the Patriots and let it be sooner than later.

Finally, though I have reservations about the Chargers game -- Indy's a LOT healthier this time around -- neither are we the same team as that matchup, mentally at least. Back then we were suffering from a severe case of the funky funky bugaloo or something. The offense was there one game and gone the next and we set a new bar for bad run defense. Whatever else happened between Indy and San Diego last November or in 2005, this game will be something else entirely I think. I like the way we match up physically though, especially our offense and their defense, size (though we're not SLOW at all) versus speed. On the other side of the ball we just gotta get Manning moving and guessing and bump those receivers on the line, in the air, at the point of contact and hell after the play. Basically, don't let them run their routes and make their grabs unmolested. In a cliche: impose our will on them.

If it's a track meet, it probably won't go good for us but OTOH, we can be just as explosive as them. I really hope if Gates is absent that we work Nanee and Sproles into a few plays, they both aren't names the D will que up on automatically and especially Sproles has got a spark to him. Give him 2 seconds and a lane and he'll grab 10+ yards.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

the CHFF predictions:

Seattle at Green Bay
New York Giants at Dallas
Jacksonville at New England
San Diego at Indianapolis

And my calls:

Seattle at Green Bay
New York Giants at Dallas
Jacksonville at New England
San Diego at Indianapolis
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Packers in a cake walk.

Dallas at home in a tough game.

Jacksonville ends the dream and the 72ers shoot their loads.

Indy in a vengeance fueled blowout.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Who caught today's Blizzard Bowl? That was classic.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Patrick Degan wrote:Who caught today's Blizzard Bowl? That was classic.
Ryan Grant especially. Dude fumbles twice early and all but gives 14 points to the other team then comes back to rush for 200 and run in 3 scores. Amazing. :shock:
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

That penalty's the biggest ripoff in the 21st century.

HOLDING. Are you serious?! Fuck these refs! :x
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

It was holding. He had him by the shoulder pads. I was yelling at the TV for the ref to call it while it was happening.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

They're just calling it tight, you're telling me that was a pass interference against Clinton Hart #42? The fucktard stubmled and was 5 yards shy when there was contact.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

SPC Brungardt wrote:They're just calling it tight, you're telling me that was a pass interference against Clinton Hart #42? The fucktard stubmled and was 5 yards shy when there was contact.
You're talking the one before the Colts got the 15 yard penalty? Yeah, that was a bad call.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:They're just calling it tight, you're telling me that was a pass interference against Clinton Hart #42? The fucktard stubmled and was 5 yards shy when there was contact.
You're talking the one before the Colts got the 15 yard penalty? Yeah, that was a bad call.
And they called a penalty just after THAT 15 yard play. They're really just doing bad and it's affecting both teams atm.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

SPC Brungardt wrote:And they called a penalty just after THAT 15 yard play. They're really just doing bad and it's affecting both teams atm.
I hear that.
What I want to know is where the hell my defense is.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Chargers win over the Colts, 28-24 in a crusher.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Son of a bitch.

Well congrats Brungardt. I'll be cheering you guys on next week.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Hehe, thank you KTB, you beat me to it:

ALRIGHT PATRIOTS HATERS, JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON! :D
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:And they called a penalty just after THAT 15 yard play. They're really just doing bad and it's affecting both teams atm.
I hear that.
What I want to know is where the hell my defense is.
One reason I thought all the pre-game commentators were on crack (the CBS pre-game guys, Bill Cowher, Phil Simms, Shannon Sharpe and Dan Marino) was all of them picked the Colts with over 30 points and the Chargers under 20.

If you ACTUALLY SAW the mid-season Chargers Colts game, you'd realize that the Chargers offense was AWOL in that game and not a factor and that since then, it's been very much a new team.

I KNOW my team though and thank god the coaching staff implemented my suggestion: both Sproles (screen pass for touchdown) and Nanee (screen pass for a huge 1st down on IIRC, the final go ahead touchdown drive) were worked into the game plan and Michael Turner once again showed everyone living OUTSIDE of San Diego why he's the biggest kept secret in the NFL. He could start for most teams, he just happens to back up LT. If anything he can be more dangerous since LT's just an 8-man-front-lightning-rod.

edit: *LT's only the best running back on the team, not the only good one. Check out Darren Sproles against the Lions in the 2nd half for other examples of his insanely quick feet*
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

SPC Brungardt wrote:One reason I thought all the pre-game commentators were on crack (the CBS pre-game guys, Bill Cowher, Phil Simms, Shannon Sharpe and Dan Marino) was all of them picked the Colts with over 30 points and the Chargers under 20.
I didn't think there was going to be that big a spread. The score was pretty much what I thought it would be, just the other way around though.

If you ACTUALLY SAW the mid-season Chargers Colts game, you'd realize that the Chargers offense was AWOL in that game and not a factor and that since then, it's been very much a new team.
To be fair, the Colts were depleted for that game too. Marvin was out, Clark was out and a number of others too. I think we had something like 6-8 starters out to begin with. Then during the game we lost a few. Hell, we had to move a guard over to tackle because we ran out. But we put some of your guys out as well, and thats why I have the same respect for the Chargers that I have for the Jags. You know when our two teams meet up it's going to be a war.