Ancient China vs Medieval Europe

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Who wins?

Europe crushes the Chinese primitives!
38%
The Chinese defeat the Europeans in a glorious battle!
62%

Total votes: 37

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Falcon wrote:Does everyone really think that the Romans, the Europeans, the Chinese, etc...
The Romans?
would have used the same tactics they traditionally used against enemies they didn't traditionally fight? I really think you people are NOT giving midevil europe and especially Rome the credit they deserve.
They didn't change their tatics much when they were getting slaughtered by the Mongols.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Falcon
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Falcon »

ArmorPierce wrote:
Falcon wrote:Does everyone really think that the Romans, the Europeans, the Chinese, etc...
The Romans?
would have used the same tactics they traditionally used against enemies they didn't traditionally fight? I really think you people are NOT giving midevil europe and especially Rome the credit they deserve.
They didn't change their tatics much when they were getting slaughtered by the Mongols.
I've you've noticed there have been a rather large number of these threads, I was attempting a kind of blanket response. Mostly I was just defending Rome again, carry on...
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Falcon wrote:Does everyone really think that the Romans, the Europeans, the Chinese, etc... would have used the same tactics they traditionally used against enemies they didn't traditionally fight? I really think you people are NOT giving midevil europe and especially Rome the credit they deserve.
Like the French adapted against the English? Oops.
Or against Saladin? Oops.
Or at Nicopolis? Oops.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Even if a European power did adapt, they'd only be doing so after there army had been slaughtered. At that point it doesn't matter as there lands are already under Mongol control.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Admiral Griffith wrote:Conceded that the dismounted knights can still move around and attack as their armour allows. However, the Chinese still do have crossbows, and IIRC, crossbows can punch through a knight's armour fairly well. Not to mention the fact that Chinese swords were incredibly sharp and were made well enough to block a swing from a large mace without significant damage to the sword. Imagine the effect on relatively flimsy knight's armour, in which said knight can be beat up through by previously mentioned mace. :twisted:
I always seem to find these posts late... (sigh)

I hate to break it to you, but the Chinese swords will not block a mace without damage to the sword, and the sharper the edge is, the more easily it will chip or blunt when struck against something hard. These swords would not cut through a knight's armor either. No army ever used swords as primary armor piercing weapons against really heavy armor. Swords don't do that job well; they're too light. And they have to cut through something that's just as hard as they are. In Europe they used pole arms, pikes, maces, warhammers and axes to pierce heavy plate. In Japanese and Chinese armies, they used spears with narrow, armor piercing heads. The only kind of sword I know of that would somewhat reliably pierce the kind of plate armor they wore in the 15th century was called an estoc; it had a narrow blade of thick diamond cross section, and very little ability to cut. It was a stabbing weapon, and was use primarily agaist the chinks in the armor. Japanese and Chinese swords are usually used for drawcuts, which inflict terrific woulnds on unarmored or lightly armored opponents, but don't pierce armor well at all.

The armor itself was surprisingly easy to wear. It weighed about 55 to 60 pounds, and because the weight was distributed evenly over the entire body, it didn't feel that heavy. Modern experiments with original suits have revealed that a man can run, jump, lie down, get up, vault into the saddle, etc. while wearing the stuff. A film made by the British Museum even shows a man in full plate armor turning cartwheels!

But having said all this, I think in a battle between armies, the Chinese would likely win due to superior leadership, better logistics, and better and organization.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
No. The efforts of the Europeans were in vain, and anyway infantry were only good against the Mongols as a roadblock; pikemen had no actual ability to inflict harm on the steppe horsemen. The Mongol tactic was to stand off and shoot up enemy infantry with their composite bows, while the European archery used inferior weapons and was mostly impotent to return the favor. When the Western heavy cav attempted to close and engage, the Mongols faded back--until the enemy overextended himself, at which point he was surrounded and cut to ribbons.
Or, of course, you just build fortifications, establish your archers and artillery inside of them, and reply with them from the safety of the dirt and pavises.

Also remember that western heavy cavalry horses were bred for that weight and could, within certain limitations, charge in it and maintain that pace.

Given proper conditions (Like those the Emperor Otto the Great engineered at Lechfeld against the Magyars), the armoured lancer can totally annihilate light cavalry.

Pikemen could not harm Mongols, but Mongols could not harm Pikemen; and thus they could provide cover for troops that could, as a mobile fortress of sorts.
The Mongols destroyed the two most powerful armies in central Europe without too much trouble and then quartered on the Hungarian plains to graze their horses. At this point, the Khan died, and the Mongols picked up shop and went home, and they did not return. The Polish like to think that their heroic resistance shook Mongol confidence and convinced them to leave, but it was purely political.
Oh, absolutely, but you massively overestimate the ease that the Mongols had in annihilating the Hungarians at the Sajo River. Bela III's deployment was quite intelligent and the Mongols under Subedei barely were able to penetrate it; had that area not been diverted from their attention by the first assaults they might have successfully blocked the Mongol flanking manoeuvre and proceeded to beat them back, or fall back on Buda in good order under the cover of their laager, depending on how badly they handled the Mongols in repulsing them.

I think the only army which would pose a threat to the Mongols during the middle ages in Europe would be England, with their longbowmen and superior (to France, at least) tactics. And even then, it probably wouldn't be enough.
In a defensive position in the English terrain, I would not want to be a light cavalry army. Likewise, the Italian communes could muster more than enough troops with pike, crossbow and pavise, which positioned in the passes, on the rivers and in the rough terrain of Italy at the time would easily prevent the Mongols from taking that region.
The problem that European armies had was that their equipment had become over-specialized to their own type of fighting. The Western style of in-your-face melee with archery support wasn't necessarily less effective, it was just that their weapons and armor were designed to fight only that kind of battle, all other kinds of war be damned. Against an enemy who avoided close contact until his victory was assured, European armies were all but useless.
The western style was never a melee. The western way of war is disciplined shock action, against which nothing can stand and is why it has remained the ideal of western armies. Even knights had a modicum of order in their attacks; it is just the lack of a formal rank structure that causes problems for some authorship.

The success of the charge of the lance is in formation and mass and western armies have always had that; combined with the stirrup it allowed them to easily field excellent heavy cavalry in the Dark Ages, and eventually a resurgence in heavy infantry, for which the western way of war is rightly famous.

The only way to defeat armies of the western type is to outmanoeuvre them or to overwhelm them by sheer numbers. Certainly the Mongols were capable of the first and did so repeatedly in the less conscripted terrain of eastern Europe, but in Western Germany, in the regions around Lechfeld, it had already been demonstrated that the heavy charge of feudal lancers could cut a light cavalry force to ribbons -- And even the French or Frederick II or both together succeeding in this against the Mongols is not impossible.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Admiral Griffith
Youngling

Post by Admiral Griffith »

brothersinarm wrote:chinese primates? glorious battle? Where's the annilate each other option?
Sorry, I had 'Eternal Stalemate' and 'Both Die' options, but they didn't show up for some reason. :(
It is not well for one to trifle in the affairs of the ancient Chinese generals, for they have a tendency to send armies of tens of thousands of warriors after those who challenge them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

When I was visisting Britian this summer, I went to Warwick Castle, where I proceeded to watch a man don plate armor, pick up a halberd, run and skip, battle for twenty minutes, all without becoming the least bit exhausted.

Further, the other man's broadsword failed to make so much as a dent on his armor. Having seen Asiatic swords up close, I am highly doubtful of their capability to penetrate plate armor.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Admiral Griffith
Youngling

HemlockGrey wrote:When I was visisting Britian this summer, I went to Warwick Castle, where I proceeded to watch a man don plate armor, pick up a halberd, run and skip, battle for twenty minutes, all without becoming the least bit exhausted.

Further, the other man's broadsword failed to make so much as a dent on his armor. Having seen Asiatic swords up close, I am highly doubtful of their capability to penetrate plate armor.
Do you even know how the Chinese swords were made? I doubt it from your posting. The smith would take a plate of metal, hammer it down as thin and straight as he could, fold it over, and repeat the process until he was rewarded with an extremely sharp, durable sword. Trust me, if it can't cut plate armour, it'll at least do as well as a large mace. :twisted:
It is not well for one to trifle in the affairs of the ancient Chinese generals, for they have a tendency to send armies of tens of thousands of warriors after those who challenge them.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Admiral Griffith wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:When I was visisting Britian this summer, I went to Warwick Castle, where I proceeded to watch a man don plate armor, pick up a halberd, run and skip, battle for twenty minutes, all without becoming the least bit exhausted.

Do you even know how the Chinese swords were made? I doubt it from your posting. The smith would take a plate of metal, hammer it down as thin and straight as he could, fold it over, and repeat the process until he was rewarded with an extremely sharp, durable sword. Trust me, if it can't cut plate armour, it'll at least do as well as a large mace. :twisted:
The Green Destiny isn't real, you know. We are aware that that the Chinese made good swords. That doesn't mean they can cut through metal plate. And they will not do as well as a large mace. Swords are balanced completely wrong for bashing.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Admiral Griffith wrote:

No it won't. Cutting swords do not do well against armor. No army in history has ever used them for that purpose. They are too light. A mace works because it's heavier, and more of its mass is concentrated at the head, where the striking point is.

Japanese swords were even better made than Chinese ones, and the Japanese never used them for that. On the battlefield, against heavily armored opponents, the Japanese used the yari (a triangular headed spear), the naginata (a kind of halberd), and the bow. Against armored opponents, the sword was strictly a weapon of last resort.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Given proper conditions (Like those the Emperor Otto the Great engineered at Lechfeld against the Magyars), the armoured lancer can totally annihilate light cavalry.
The Mongols would be far more difficult to catch by surprise than the Magyars.
Oh, absolutely, but you massively overestimate the ease that the Mongols had in annihilating the Hungarians at the Sajo River. Bela III's deployment was quite intelligent and the Mongols under Subedei barely were able to penetrate it; had that area not been diverted from their attention by the first assaults they might have successfully blocked the Mongol flanking manoeuvre and proceeded to beat them back, or fall back on Buda in good order under the cover of their laager, depending on how badly they handled the Mongols in repulsing them.
?

I don't see what you're saying. If Bela had been psychic and had anticipated the flanking maneuver, yes, he might have won. But unfortunately, he was unable to anticipate an avenue of attack that he knew absolutely nothing about.

In a defensive position in the English terrain, I would not want to be a light cavalry army. Likewise, the Italian communes could muster more than enough troops with pike, crossbow and pavise, which positioned in the passes, on the rivers and in the rough terrain of Italy at the time would easily prevent the Mongols from taking that region.
I doubt that the Mongols would cross the Alps, anyway, and I do have faith in the Italian's ability to threaten a horse army.
The western style was never a melee. The western way of war is disciplined shock action, against which nothing can stand
Except a formation of pikes with enough iron to stand its ground.
and is why it has remained the ideal of western armies.
The current way of war is more closely related to that of the horse peoples.
Even knights had a modicum of order in their attacks; it is just the lack of a formal rank structure that causes problems for some authorship.
Unfortunately, the tendency for the uncontrolled charge is a rather large weakness against such an army as the Mongols.
The only way to defeat armies of the western type is to outmanoeuvre them or to overwhelm them by sheer numbers. Certainly the Mongols were capable of the first and did so repeatedly in the less conscripted terrain of eastern Europe, but in Western Germany, in the regions around Lechfeld, it had already been demonstrated that the heavy charge of feudal lancers could cut a light cavalry force to ribbons -- And even the French or Frederick II or both together succeeding in this against the Mongols is not impossible.
Lechfield only succeeded because the Germans were able to achieve surprise and trap their enemies against a convenient terrain feature. The Mongols have far better reconnaissance and better commanders than the Magyars, and it would be difficult to trap them so.
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Do you even know how the Chinese swords were made? I doubt it from your posting. The smith would take a plate of metal, hammer it down as thin and straight as he could, fold it over, and repeat the process until he was rewarded with an extremely sharp, durable sword. Trust me, if it can't cut plate armour, it'll at least do as well as a large mace.
Oh, good, and if he hits 1 degree off angle it will snap in half. It's too thin and there's not enough force in the blow to do anything to plate mail.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Admiral Griffith wrote:Do you even know how the Chinese swords were made? I doubt it from your posting. The smith would take a plate of metal, hammer it down as thin and straight as he could, fold it over, and repeat the process until he was rewarded with an extremely sharp, durable sword. Trust me, if it can't cut plate armour, it'll at least do as well as a large mace. :twisted:
Since you seem to have a bad case of MOB (Mystical Oriental Bastard) syndrome, I'll explain how good quality European/Middle Eastern swords were made. Even the Vikings knew how to make layered steel weapons, and they are well before the high Medieval period.

Damascus blades, which were made in India and distributed through Damascus were made from a piece of high-carbon steel folded over and over again. The folding causes carbon to leave and you get alternating layers of hard and soft steel. You can acid-etch it to get nice wavy lines if you want it to look good. Enough of the impurities got hammered out to make it a durable sword.

Toledo swords were made by cold-forging hard high carbon steel and soft low carbon steel together, then folding them repeatedly. These end up being more flexible and tougher than Damascus blades.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Shadow Walker
Youngling

Post by Shadow Walker »

The Chinese win, hands down. A large European army of the time period in question was 5,000 men. The Chinese rutinely used armies in the tens of thousands. On a different note, the reason the Mongols kicked so much ass is because the chinese supplied them with technology in order to destroy the other Steppe tribes. The Mongols then turned on the Chinese during a period of dynastic decline. It still took the Mongols over 100 years to defeat China.
"I want Rustlers, Cutthroats, Murderers, Bounty Hunters,
desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits,
dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, indian agents,
mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwackers,
hornswaglers, horse thiefs, bull dykes, train robbers,
bank robbers, asskickers, shitkickers, and METHODISTS!"
-Hedley Lamar

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
-Bullet Tooth Tony
Admiral Griffith
Youngling

Graeme Dice wrote:
Admiral Griffith wrote:Do you even know how the Chinese swords were made? I doubt it from your posting. The smith would take a plate of metal, hammer it down as thin and straight as he could, fold it over, and repeat the process until he was rewarded with an extremely sharp, durable sword. Trust me, if it can't cut plate armour, it'll at least do as well as a large mace. :twisted:
Since you seem to have a bad case of MOB (Mystical Oriental Bastard) syndrome, I'll explain how good quality European/Middle Eastern swords were made. Even the Vikings knew how to make layered steel weapons, and they are well before the high Medieval period.

Damascus blades, which were made in India and distributed through Damascus were made from a piece of high-carbon steel folded over and over again. The folding causes carbon to leave and you get alternating layers of hard and soft steel. You can acid-etch it to get nice wavy lines if you want it to look good. Enough of the impurities got hammered out to make it a durable sword.

Toledo swords were made by cold-forging hard high carbon steel and soft low carbon steel together, then folding them repeatedly. These end up being more flexible and tougher than Damascus blades.
I'll concede this point on the basis that I don't know enough about the topic to disprove it.
Perinquus wrote:No it won't. Cutting swords do not do well against armor. No army in history has ever used them for that purpose. They are too light. A mace works because it's heavier, and more of its mass is concentrated at the head, where the striking point is.

Japanese swords were even better made than Chinese ones, and the Japanese never used them for that. On the battlefield, against heavily armored opponents, the Japanese used the yari (a triangular headed spear), the naginata (a kind of halberd), and the bow. Against armored opponents, the sword was strictly a weapon of last resort.
Conceded again on the basis that I don't know anything that can disprove it. Well, at least not yet, anyways. :roll:
Raxmei wrote:The Green Destiny isn't real, you know. We are aware that that the Chinese made good swords. That doesn't mean they can cut through metal plate. And they will not do as well as a large mace. Swords are balanced completely wrong for bashing.
I'm sorry, but wtf is Green Destiny? And I mistakenly exaggerated the bashing ability of the sword. Perhaps more like a metal bar? The fact remains that you can theoretically bash with them. And they work well enough against unarmored foes. If all that's left for the Chinese to fight is the plate-armoured knights, it's not gonna last very long after that.

Let's try to sum up each sides' advantages.

Chinese:
1. Numbers
2. Intelligent commanders
3. Truckloads of heroes.
4. Better disciplined troops.

Europeans:
1. Heavy Cavalry (make what you like of this, I think it's an advantage)
2. Longbows
3. Plate armour
4. Trebuchets.

Disadvatages:

Europeans:
1. Smaller armies
2. Geared more toward cavalry charge, less flexible strategy
3. Not many highly intelligent tacticians/strategists

Chinese:
1. Less protective armour
2. Recovering from war
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Admiral Griffith wrote: I'm sorry, but wtf is Green Destiny?
Perhaps Kuan Yu's Qing Long Yan Yue Dao (Green Dragon, Moon chopping sword...we Chinese have a way with names...)?
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I think it's the sword from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

What did the Chinese use as "standard issue" in terms of armor?
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
meNNis
Padawan Learner

Post by meNNis »

do the eurpeans get William Wallace? muahaha

if so, i declare europeans victorious :D
<middle finger> Fuck political correctness </middle finger>

"Most people are of average intelligence." ~ Wicked Pilot (I happen to disagree)

Anti-PETA / Anti-Facist League

PROUD to be a Libertarian-American-Warmongering-Warsie-Asshole, Thank you.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'd put this to China, but it would take a while, mainly because of their organisation and numbers.

I think the interesting thing would be the Chinese trying to govern the new lands after conquest.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

JediNeophyte wrote:What did the Chinese use as "standard issue" in terms of armor?
Much like European armies: None for the masses.

High quality troops often had mail or (relatively) inferior plate armor.
--The Lord Humungus