Tiny planes art.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Atlan
Jedi Knight

Tiny planes art.

Post by Atlan »

Alright, guess that I should own up and show some of my stuff to a larger segment of the internet than knows of it right now.

All of this is in 2 pixel = 1 foot scale.

The Wonder Warthog:

The F14:

North American Vigilante, with bonus points for people who know what the bottom plane is all about:

The A/F-X, stillborn navalized F-22:

The A-7 Corsair II

Convair 200. If the USN had chosen to develop this one instead of that POS XFV-12A there might have been supersonic VSTOL planes twenty years ago.

For more, much more (LOTS of ships!) go to the Shipbucket , a collaboration by me (all drawings marked MihoshiK) and a few other guys. Enjoy.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

I am going to just ask now, can I use these images in a possible signature change?
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Redleader34 wrote:I am going to just ask now, can I use these images in a possible signature change?
These? Yes, no problem.
Any of the others you get from Shipbucket you'll have to let me know. It probably won't be a problem for the others, but I'll check to be sure.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
R.A. Heinlein.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Wait wait...YOU'RE MihoshiK of warships.com :shock:

I always loved your ship profiles, especially the what ifs; for Jan's WWIII epic.:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

MKSheppard wrote:Wait wait...YOU'RE MihoshiK of warships.com :shock:

I always loved your ship profiles, especially the what ifs; for Jan's WWIII epic.:
Yes, that's me. Glad you like my stuff. You've seen the updates to the T45 that I did after the real one was launched?

(edit: NO, the T45 doesn't have RAM; this is the TLW version)
R.A. Heinlein.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

The A-12 flying Dorito:

And a slightly larger plane, the B-1B:
R.A. Heinlein.
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

Wow, I've never seen such a large swing-wing before. What is that?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Atlan wrote:And a slightly larger plane, the B-1B:
Pay attention kid. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

How do you make these? Or is that classified?
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

Oops, sorry, I was too busy looking at the pretty pictures.

And yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how these are made, I notice that they have aliasing.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Requesting Halifax Class plz
:lol:
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Sephirius wrote:Requesting Halifax Class plz
:lol:
Like most ships from Western nations (it's mostly Eastern and ComBloc nations we still need to do) it's already on Shipbucket:

R.A. Heinlein.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

wjs7744 wrote:Oops, sorry, I was too busy looking at the pretty pictures.

And yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how these are made, I notice that they have aliasing.
As RP1 put it: They are produced using a non-vector based package. Some people use MS Paint, I use Paint Shop Pro, as it gives you the lengths of lines. My process is to find a reference line drawing, scale it to the correct size, use colour controls to make it pink, or green or something not found in the final drawing, and then to overpaint it. (Two sins in one - overpainting and using line tools, which isn't "pure" pixelart!)

And me, I use Photoshop and virtually the same process, only I open another layer on top of the reference, and do all my drawing (which, as you noticed, is done without anti-alias) in that layer. I usually reduce the opacity of the reference layer to about 50% which makes it a light grey shade. When I'm finished I simply discard the reference layer: less cleanup of "stray" pixels that way.
In addition to the reference drawing a couple of nice high-res pictures help with detail, and eventually unit colors. The biggest challence is to decide what detail to leave in, and what really can't be depicted. I mean, a single pixel depicts a square six inches on each side, that kinda limits things...
For some added depth I usually paint the lower pixels of a fuselage in a slightly darker tint, to create a bit of depth. Same thing goes for overhanging structures. This effect is really visible in larger drawings like boats, although it IS present in even the smaller things like planes.

And before someone asks "Why no Vector based program?", that's very simple in fact.
I was inspired by someone whose website is now gone, years ago. He posted a series of Royal Navy ships in the 2 pixels = 1 foot format, in GIF format. I started my own series of drawings in that format, others followed, and the rest is history. The pixelized format also makes it possible for people with very low-end graphics programs (MS Paint!) to work on it, and besides, half of the fun is to see how much detail you CAN get in a drawing in this format. Just look at the planes and helicopters. Making them recognisible is a real chore a this scale, but a lot of fun.
As an aside, for all but the largest ships the drawing will fit nicely on a computer monitor without having to be shrunk.
R.A. Heinlein.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Oh, and just because someone on another forum was smart enough to remark that at least I hadn't made it into a Naval plane:

R.A. Heinlein.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Atlan wrote:Oh, and just because someone on another forum was smart enough to remark that at least I hadn't made it into a Naval plane:

I'm pretty sure the B-1's too large to fit on a carrier. Sure it could land, but you'd have to clear the deck, just like for a C-130.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Atlan, awesome pixel art and I'd love to see either a B-52 or a B-70 in your style.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Beowulf wrote:
Atlan wrote:Oh, and just because someone on another forum was smart enough to remark that at least I hadn't made it into a Naval plane:

I'm pretty sure the B-1's too large to fit on a carrier. Sure it could land, but you'd have to clear the deck, just like for a C-130.
Sigh. Of Course it's too large for any of that. But since I usually draw ship-related items, you know, like planes that take off from ships and ships themselves, someone on another forum was a smart-ass and remarked upon that.
To which I responded with a B-1 with tailhook. It's even got some of the unit colors that the Vigilante had when it was still a nuclear bomber.
R.A. Heinlein.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

The LTV V-507, a VFX candidate, the competition that ultimately led to the Tomcat. It would have been a handsome brute.
As allways, 2 pixels = 1 foot.
R.A. Heinlein.