Wherein I marvel at rivers of liquid French shit

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Wherein I marvel at rivers of liquid French shit

Post by Bounty »

"So, we made it to Paris. Where do you want to go?"
"The sewers"
"Sounds good!"
"...I was kidding"
"But I want to see the sewers! They're cool"

Continuing on the touristy track, here's a cemetery with some crows.

Those were taken at Montmartre cemetery; the hill looks magical this time of year.

And then are the other tourist traps. Arc de Triomphe and the views from thereon; the roundabout below is absolute madness:

Champs-Elysées and the area around the Seine:

Of course, you can't go to France without seeing the city from up above, and what better time to do it then from the top observation deck of the Eiffel Tower, after sunset?

The Louvre, which somehow manages to look quaint and homely despite being absolutely, mind-bogglingly huge. Note that this picture shows a small section of one side wing.

Île de la Cité:

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Great pictures Bounty. What's with the mini Statue Of Liberty? Is it a monument to them giving it to us, or is it something else?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

havokeff wrote:Great pictures Bounty. What's with the mini Statue Of Liberty? Is it a monument to them giving it to us, or is it something else?
It's a replica made a few years after the original. I don't know who built it; the replica flame near the Pont d'Alma was donated by an American paper, so it's possible it's an Ameri!can gift.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Cool, how can you enter the sewers? Is it a guided tour or do you just enter on your own?
I took a trip to the sewers of Ulm once where you can enter at the place where the sewers go into a river. You just have to know where it is. You can move underground for about 2 km before the sewers end at a brick wall with a small hole in it. If you squeeze through that hole you get to a deserted old jazz bar which can only be entered via this sewer. In the basement there´s an old bunker from WWII. Great stuff. Unterground trips are so fucking awesome.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Cool, how can you enter the sewers? Is it a guided tour or do you just enter on your own?
Bit of both. The part of the sewers we saw was a sort-of working exhibit; a section has been tourist-proofed (extra fences, info signs, better lighting) and they even had a gift shop ten feet underground. You enter via some stairs at the Quai d'Orsay. I was surprised that there were quite a few people visiting the place while we were there. The original plan was to see the catacombs, but they're closed to the public until March.
Unterground trips are so fucking awesome.
I know - it's a shame most cities try to hide their underground. One of my favourite bars is fifteen feet below the ground, in a medieval basement of a building that's long-since gone, and it looks and feels awesome.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Bounty wrote:
Bit of both. The part of the sewers we saw was a sort-of working exhibit; a section has been tourist-proofed (extra fences, info signs, better lighting) and they even had a gift shop ten feet underground. You enter via some stairs at the Quai d'Orsay. I was surprised that there were quite a few people visiting the place while we were there. The original plan was to see the catacombs, but they're closed to the public until March.
Aren´t there pretty easy ways to enter the catacombs illegally? I read that many peopel do it and have parties down there and things like. Unfortunately the cops will kick you out if they find you and if you´re unlucky even give you a fine.
I know - it's a shame most cities try to hide their underground. One of my favourite bars is fifteen feet below the ground, in a medieval basement of a building that's long-since gone, and it looks and feels awesome.
Wow, sounds great. The city of Stuttgart not only hides the undergrounds they even locked them off with grates. Really annoying.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Aren´t there pretty easy ways to enter the catacombs illegally? I read that many peopel do it and have parties down there and things like. Unfortunately the cops will kick you out if they find you and if you´re unlucky even give you a fine.
Getting into the catacombs is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and where you're going, and I'm not the type to break into places.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

salm wrote: Aren´t there pretty easy ways to enter the catacombs illegally? I read that many peopel do it and have parties down there and things like. Unfortunately the cops will kick you out if they find you and if you´re unlucky even give you a fine.
If you're especially unlucky you can get lost and not be able to get out.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

paris/img_0217.jpg
This picture in particular amazes me for some reason that I can't exactly place, maybe because there's pretty much nothing like Paris or other European urban centers in the US.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
paris/img_0217.jpg
This picture in particular amazes me for some reason that I can't exactly place, maybe because there's pretty much nothing like Paris or other European urban centers in the US.
Aren't some of the cities on the East Coast built more European-ly? Or do they all use the square grid system?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Last year I hiked all the way to to the top of the Eiffel tower. I then walked all the way back down because the top was closed. :lol: (Bloody lift costs a damn tonne)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Bounty wrote: Aren't some of the cities on the East Coast built more European-ly? Or do they all use the square grid system?
Some use the square grid system, like Philadelphia. Others are plain insanity, like Baltimore (seriously, don't drive through Baltimore).
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Notre Dame is prettier without the wrappings and in sunlight. When I was there I could look at a scaffold while having a free shower.

On the positive side, I saw its gargoyles in action

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wow, the city looks the same as when I visited it in the early 80's.

Ah.. Paris in the spring... (mostly cloudy and rainy, if I remember, but when the sun came out it could be quite pretty, especially Montmartre)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

We were incredibly lucky to have gotten the weather we did. Europe in Februari is usually cold, wet and drab, but the last week or so it's been dry and sunny.
Wow, the city looks the same as when I visited it in the early 80's.
It looked the same as when I visited a decade ago. Then again, a time-traveller from 1929 can land in the city and see the same Art Déco Metro entrances still in use - the French seem to be pretty good at keeping their old infrastructure in working order.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

You went all the way to Paris and didn't check out the Empire of the Dead?!

MADNESS!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:You went all the way to Paris and didn't check out the Empire of the Dead?!

MADNESS!
Me, above wrote:The original plan was to see the catacombs, but they're closed to the public until March.
Don't ask me why you'd need to "renovate" piles of corpses, but that's what they're doing.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
salm wrote: Aren´t there pretty easy ways to enter the catacombs illegally? I read that many peopel do it and have parties down there and things like. Unfortunately the cops will kick you out if they find you and if you´re unlucky even give you a fine.
If you're especially unlucky you can get lost and not be able to get out.
Sure. But considering that it´s known as a place where people go underground and you don´t read about people disappearing there very often i doubt that a significant number of people get lost and die. It´s probably as likely as falling into a glacier crack when snowboarding, so i guess it´s really worth the risk. I recon that the cops are the bigger nuisance here than getting lost.
However, i´ve never been to that particular underground area, so i could be wrong.
But if i went there i´d at least consider going in via the illeagal entrances esspecially because you can get to places that are otherwise not open to the public. Of course i wouldn´t go there without informing myself adequately about the place and the risks involoved.